ADVERTISEMENT

Men's soccer loses to Virginia

Yep. Great game though. This season has been fun.

The goal that tied the game for Pitt was outstanding. The goal that won the game for Virginia was probably even better.

Dexter's goal was better. 1v1, abusing the defender. Pure class. The UVa winner, their announcers were salivating over it but the fact is he dribbled the ball right down route 1 and had what amounts to a breakaway. Good goal but when its you vs the keeper alone from 20 yards out, you're expected to score. I want to know what the sub rules are because you could tell Peperek and Cregan were running in slow motion.

He dribbled at least 60 yards for that winning goal. I certainly wouldn’t call it a breakaway as he dribbled past at least 4 Pitt defenders, none of whom closed on him. I assume they were gassed, playing 107 minutes. There still were two defenders between him and the GK when he took the shot, which was from right around the edge of the 18 yard box, but neither closed on him and it was a terrific strike.

He dribbled at least 60 yards for that winning goal. I certainly wouldn’t call it a breakaway as he dribbled past at least 4 Pitt defenders, none of whom closed on him. I assume they were gassed, playing 107 minutes. There still were two defenders between him and the GK when he took the shot, which was from right around the edge of the 18 yard box, but neither closed on him and it was a terrific strike.

I meant when he dribbled through the whole team, it was only him vs the GK, probably wrong choice of the word breakaway. I would say that defending was worse than the shot was good but those guys were seriously fatigued.....which is why I ask about the sub rules.

Field players can be subbed out at any time. If a player is subbed out in the first half, the first overtime or the second overtime they cannot reenter until the end of that period. If a player is subbed out in the second half they are allowed to reenter the game in the second half one time (in other words you can't get subbed out, come back in, subbed out, and then come back in again).

Yeah, SMF's description doesn't do it justice at all. If you gave that Virginia player a chance to walk up to the net and place the ball where he wanted to he could not have picked a better spot than where he put it. Pitt could have had two goalies in the net and they still wouldn't have stopped that shot. And that came after a 60 yard run that weaved around multiple Pitt defenders.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT