ADVERTISEMENT

Mens Soccer - New Roster

I question that they have 4 kids making the 100 mile round trip trek to the South Hills to play for Beadling and Century. Those could be Beadling East and Century East.

It isn't 100 miles, and it isn't even close. In fact it isn't even a 100 mile round trip from GCC high school to the Pittsburgh airport.

You either don't know where Greensburg is, or where Beadling practices, or where the Pittsburgh airport is. Or some combination thereof.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Additionally, those kids aren’t all coming from Latrobe or greensburg. I coached at Beadling and Century. My kids all played there and it was always amazing to me how many players from Norwin and Penn trafford played on those club teams. It’s not far at all. Kids from Norwin areas just cut through McKeesport and can be to century in no time. But, my one team had a huge GK void and there was a really good one at Allegheny Force. We tried like heck to get her, but the family didn’t want to make the “2 tunnel drive” to practice. So yeah It doesn’t work for everyone, but people will make the sacrifice to play on the best team in the age group. Emily Yaple at Pitt played at Beadling and lived in Erie. She never missed a practice. A girl from Mt Lebo is in the national pool right now. She drives to Cleveland to play for the Internationals 3 times per week. Parents and youth sports will do anything if they think it will benefit their kids. An hour drive to practice is nothing. I’m sure Joe will chime in at some point. He has intimate knowledge of players commuting to the south hills from the east.

i also remember some recent kids who started at GCC from BVA and the mon Valley.

As you may remember, my niece and several of her high school teammates played for Beadling. There were also players from PT on her team, and several PT and GCC players on some of the other age group teams.
My niece's team also had a player on it from Erie, whose name escapes me at the moment, who was in the same age group and yet somehow two grade behind my niece. She was actually an Illinois recruit, and before she finished high school in Erie her family moved to somewhere near Chicago, iirc.

As you may remember, my niece and several of her high school teammates played for Beadling. There were also players from PT on her team, and several PT and GCC players on some of the other age group teams.
My niece's team also had a player on it from Erie, whose name escapes me at the moment, who was in the same age group and yet somehow two grade behind my niece. She was actually an Illinois recruit, and before she finished high school in Erie her family moved to somewhere near Chicago, iirc.
Makena Silbur. Great player.

Reactions: Joe the Panther Fan
I question that they have 4 kids making the 100 mile round trip trek to the South Hills to play for Beadling and Century. Those could be Beadling East and Century East.
My kids ECNL club team has more than a handful of kids who drove 1.5 hours to over two hours one way to play on the team. That includes multiple training sessions a week and games. If you want to play club, you drive. Simple equation. I can’t imagine you have kids who play sports.

My kids ECNL club team has more than a handful of kids who drove 1.5 hours to over two hours one way to play on the team. That includes multiple training sessions a week and games. If you want to play club, you drive. Simple equation. I can’t imagine you have kids who play sports.
I do but I'm also smart enough to choose not live in Pennsyltucky and drive my kids 4 hours round trip for a practice. I know several who drive 1 hour each way for their kids who will eventually be OK WPIAL starters/D3 players. Its completely insane.

It isn't 100 miles, and it isn't even close. In fact it isn't even a 100 mile round trip from GCC high school to the Pittsburgh airport.

You either don't know where Greensburg is, or where Beadling practices, or where the Pittsburgh airport is. Or some combination thereof.
Google Maps says its 53 miles one way from GCC to Southpointe Fieldhouse. Your losing streak continues.

Google Maps says its 53 miles one way from GCC to Southpointe Fieldhouse. Your losing streak continues.

I know where my niece's team used to practice, and I know that it wasn't 50 miles from GCC.

And you have to admit, it's hilarious that someone who posted that GCC couldn't beat a 4A team and then when it was pointed out that they actually did couldn't respond with anything better than, oh, well, yeah, but THAT 4A doesn't count. And then could talk about someone else being on a losing streak.

I know where my niece's team used to practice, and I know that it wasn't 50 miles from GCC.

And you have to admit, it's hilarious that someone who posted that GCC couldn't beat a 4A team and then when it was pointed out that they actually did couldn't respond with anything better than, oh, well, yeah, but THAT 4A doesn't count. And then could talk about someone else being on a losing streak.
Where your daughter practiced however many years ago doesn't matter. The "real" Beadling practices at Southpointe. If these current GCC players play for the real Beadling and not some 2nd rate satellite team, they are driving 100 miles round trip if they live near GCC.

I do but I'm also smart enough to choose not live in Pennsyltucky and drive my kids 4 hours round trip for a practice. I know several who drive 1 hour each way for their kids who will eventually be OK WPIAL starters/D3 players. Its completely insane.
I don’t live in PA. Here in TN you either drive to Nashville, Knoxville, or Atlanta. Many cannot get the same quality of club where they live so they sacrifice time and make the drive. It’s the same thing all over the country with soccer. You drive to where the best opportunities are, better teams, better teammates, and most importantly exposure. The girl who drives 2 hours one way has a full ride D1. It was worth it to them as the soccer in her hometown is terrible.

Where your daughter practiced however many years ago doesn't matter. The "real" Beadling practices at Southpointe. If these current GCC players play for the real Beadling and not some 2nd rate satellite team, they are driving 100 miles round trip if they live near GCC.
If ever there was a real Beadling, it’s a few short years ago when Joe’s niece played. There were no B teams anywhere. There was no Beadling east or century west. And if you were one of the top 18 or so players in the area, you played at Beadling and made the drive. Joes niece was fortunate enough to do so and drove 78 miles round trip to Southpointe. Her team was a top 5 team in the country.

and this is what people still do, except now there’s the RDA and there’s also Century. People make the drive and don’t think twice. Especially people who pay for a GCC education. And again, not everyone who goes to GCC is from Greensburg. They have a broader reach, and I have to say that people decide to attend GCC because their school district has poor soccer and the can play with other good players and compete for championships there. That’s simply a fact. My younger daughter had a collegiate teammate (might have been Joe’s nieces Beadling teammate) who was from Connelsville and attended GCC. She made the trip to Beadling practices at Southpointe for several years as a youth. It’s just what you do.

Last edited:
I don’t live in PA. Here in TN you either drive to Nashville, Knoxville, or Atlanta. Many cannot get the same quality of club where they live so they sacrifice time and make the drive. It’s the same thing all over the country with soccer. You drive to where the best opportunities are, better teams, better teammates, and most importantly exposure. The girl who drives 2 hours one way has a full ride D1. It was worth it to them as the soccer in her hometown is terrible.
Driving 2 hours one way is borderline insane. She got a full ride for D1, great. Could she have walked-on to the same program had she driven 30 minutes to a worse team? Is the time and money spent traveling really worth the scholarship? I don't know, if you told me I had to drive 2 hours for a youth soccer team just so my kid can maybe earn a scholarship in a sport where American kids (even girls) make very little money compared to the other sports, I'd either move or just have them play locally. A lot of a soccer player's development is working on their own so I'd make sure they are using the 12 hour/week would be commute to work on their game on their own.

Driving 2 hours one way is borderline insane. She got a full ride for D1, great. Could she have walked-on to the same program had she driven 30 minutes to a worse team? Is the time and money spent traveling really worth the scholarship? I don't know, if you told me I had to drive 2 hours for a youth soccer team just so my kid can maybe earn a scholarship in a sport where American kids (even girls) make very little money compared to the other sports, I'd either move or just have them play locally. A lot of a soccer player's development is working on their own so I'd make sure they are using the 12 hour/week would be commute to work on their game on their own.
You are missing the point. Some kids love an activity and are super driven to find out how far they can go. Being around others that are also super-serious can be very beneficial to their development. My daughter danced at PBT through 8th grade. Every one of the kids loves the dedication and being part of professional performances - and dream of making it their jobs. The parents know few and almost all know they their kid won’t ‘make it’ as it isn’t hard to figure out which ones are good enough to have a chance.

However, the kids develop time management, poise, mental toughness, etc. that can serve them very well in other endeavors. Trust me, the tuition and trips were not at all wasted on my daughter despite her ‘failing’ to make the pre-professional (High school) program.

I agree, my daughter never played on a team where the practice was more than 15-20 minutes away, of course she only played travel actually one year, because she hated it because the coach took it too seriously and wanted her to quit ballet. I think the ballet actually helped her in soccer, she did play locally, select-rec league, like a non-traveling travel, where they take it less seriously, she did end up as an all star in Class C high school, which is the lowest and played a season with a team that finished #5 in the country in NJCAA D3, but honestly, the teammates she had in high school and college who played in the big time travel clubs, almost none of them got scholarships, or maybe the best got a 10% scholarship or something? Even this girl, my co workers daughter, who is the all time leading scorer in a MD AAAA big high school league, her parents travelled all over the country with the biggest travel clubs, Maryland United, she went to U of Maryland, and she didn't even get a full ride, and she's even been to USAWNT U17 camp. So I wonder why people think it's worth it, driving 2 hours one way for practice to find a needle in a haystack?

You are missing the point. Some kids love an activity and are super driven to find out how far they can go. Being around others that are also super-serious can be very beneficial to their development. My daughter danced at PBT through 8th grade. Every one of the kids loves the dedication and being part of professional performances - and dream of making it their jobs. The parents know few and almost all know they their kid won’t ‘make it’ as it isn’t hard to figure out which ones are good enough to have a chance.

However, the kids develop time management, poise, mental toughness, etc. that can serve them very well in other endeavors. Trust me, the tuition and trips were not at all wasted on my daughter despite her ‘failing’ to make the pre-professional (High school) program.
I get what you are saying but there has to be some limit. Driving 2 hours round trip 3 times a week, ok, that's doable I guess but this person driving 4 hours round trip, I dont agree with. At what point is your kid's childhood more important than some elite club 2 hours away when you can play for a bad one maybe 30 minutes away and develop on your own with your own drills off an app. That's just too much time. I guess I'd make an exception for a generational type talent but for a kid to do that just to be your run of the mill D1 player, I'd say it was a waste of a childhood.

I get what you are saying but there has to be some limit. Driving 2 hours round trip 3 times a week, ok, that's doable I guess but this person driving 4 hours round trip, I dont agree with. At what point is your kid's childhood more important than some elite club 2 hours away when you can play for a bad one maybe 30 minutes away and develop on your own with your own drills off an app. That's just too much time. I guess I'd make an exception for a generational type talent but for a kid to do that just to be your run of the mill D1 player, I'd say it was a waste of a childhood.
IT DEPENDS ON THE KID, and the reasons. If it is about the goal, I agree. if it is about the process, it isn’t wasted. The effort and learning experiences and seriousness are their own reward.

Also, for most of us we will never need to second guess ourselves. We just were never going to have anything bit fun and self satisfaction as a reward for our efforts. And, to be sure - these are wonderful things. At 49, I take pride in improving my boxing despite knowing I will never step into a ring with a red. Runners rightfully celebrate personal bests. But, for those good enough to have a chance at reaching exceptionally high levels at their craft, removing regrets counts for a lot.

IT DEPENDS ON THE KID
It sure does, my daughter never took it at all seriously, I suppose if she was obsessive about it it, she may have been better or got a scholarship, she really wanted to play on a travel team when she got to about 9th grade, then played a year and hated it big time, she mostly cared about having fun and the biggest factor was liking her teammates as friends, she couldn't stand the really driven types obsessed with the game, but she did end up a high school all star and played in college for a year. Her proudest moments where beating out someone who was talking up their big time club connections, which happened often. The biggest factor for quitting the college team, besides the pandemic was she couldn't stand the players being so competitive vs. each other instead of being friends. Her high school coach loved her, never had a player so selfless who didn't care about individual glory always a team player. Maybe if she was more selfish she could of been better, but she really just wanted to have fun and a good social experience.

She is setup financially to not have student loan debt. She probably could walk on anywhere, but her exposure and level of play was dramatically better and resulted in never paying a dime for college and potentially grad school. Basketball players do this, baseball players do this also. Hell volleyball does too. Football pretty much has one option and that is high school. College soccer coaches at the D1 level rarely step foot in a high school stadium except maybe a state final game. They travel the country going to club events. Perfect example, our team played in Nashville for a large ECNL college showcase. That was close for us. The girls played in front of more than 100 D1 coaches that weekend. That is exposure you don’t get playing for a shitty local club that plays essentially Rec soccer. The number of scholarships that go to kids that do this is huge. Removing financial burden on kids and families while giving the player and opportunity to compete at a high level in college. So yes, the few thousands in travel costs outweighs 100,000 plus in student loans as a walk-on.

@Sean Miller Fan I get what you are saying but there has to be some limit. Driving 2 hours round trip 3 times a week, ok, that's doable I guess but this person driving 4 hours round trip, I dont agree with. At what point is your kid's childhood more important than some elite club 2 hours away when you can play for a bad one maybe 30 minutes away and develop on your own with your own drills off an app. That's just too much time. I guess I'd make an exception for a generational type talent but for a kid to do that just to be your run of the mill D1 player, I'd say it was a waste of a childhood.
@Sean Miller Fan
Perhaps but there are no limits for parents who will do anything for their kids hopes and dreams. I’ll give you an example. Let’s say James Conner had a sister who was a good athlete and passionate about soccer. JC can play ball in Erie, get a scholarship at Pitt and play in the NFL. His sister would never, ever, ever, ever achieve her dreams playing for the Erie Admirals and Erie McDowell HS, no matter how much work she put in on her own. Never ever ever ever. You can’t play with mediocre players against mediocre teams in a sport like soccer and develop. You have to train with elite players during the week that push you and you have to play against elite teams on the weekends. That’s just the way it is. So she’s have to drive to Cleveland or drive to Pittsburgh. Dennis Rodman’s daughter would not be on our national team if she grew up in Erie and played for the admirals, or grew up in Pittsburgh and played for Victory Express or Arsenal. I don’t care what’s in her DNA. Put her in Pittsburgh on a club team like Hotspurs, and she’d be playing collegiately at Cal U and then getting on her with life’s work outside of soccer after 2-4 years of play.

She is setup financially to not have student loan debt. She probably could walk on anywhere, but her exposure and level of play was dramatically better and resulted in never paying a dime for college and potentially grad school. Basketball players do this, baseball players do this also. Hell volleyball does too. Football pretty much has one option and that is high school. College soccer coaches at the D1 level rarely step foot in a high school stadium except maybe a state final game. They travel the country going to club events. Perfect example, our team played in Nashville for a large ECNL college showcase. That was close for us. The girls played in front of more than 100 D1 coaches that weekend. That is exposure you don’t get playing for a shitty local club that plays essentially Rec soccer. The number of scholarships that go to kids that do this is huge. Removing financial burden on kids and families while giving the player and opportunity to compete at a high level in college. So yes, the few thousands in travel costs outweighs 100,000 plus in student loans as a walk-on.
Its not just the $5000-$10,000 they paid in gas. Its the time. Its the lost childhood. I hope she is a potential USWNT team player because if not and she's just a regular D1 player, I would say the loss of a childhood wasn't worth the college savings. There's grants, academic scholarships, financial aid. And perhaps the parents could have helped pay. And lets be honest, if she was THAT good, its likely she still could have earned a D1 scholarship by playing for her local club team or traveling 30 minutes. She could have gone to college ID camps, sent tapes out, etc. If you're good, they'll find you. You mention basketball and I disagree 100% with players leaving home at 15 for a basketball boarding school. Play AAU locally and for your local HS. Friggin Zion Williamson played public school basketball. Look at Adou Thierou. Played public school ball in Allegheny County, didnt even play AAU or played a low AAU level and he's going to Kentucky. Cam Johnson was similar. They'll find you.

@Sean Miller Fan
Perhaps but there are no limits for parents who will do anything for their kids hopes and dreams. I’ll give you an example. Let’s say James Conner had a sister who was a good athlete and passionate about soccer. JC can play ball in Erie, get a scholarship at Pitt and play in the NFL. His sister would never, ever, ever, ever achieve her dreams playing for the Erie Admirals and Erie McDowell HS, no matter how much work she put in on her own. Never ever ever ever. You can’t play with mediocre players against mediocre teams in a sport like soccer and develop. You have to train with elite players during the week that push you and you have to play against elite teams on the weekends. That’s just the way it is. So she’s have to drive to Cleveland or drive to Pittsburgh. Dennis Rodman’s daughter would not be on our national team if she grew up in Erie and played for the admirals, or grew up in Pittsburgh and played for Victory Express or Arsenal. I don’t care what’s in her DNA. Put her in Pittsburgh on a club team like Hotspurs, and she’d be playing collegiately at Cal U and then getting on her with life’s work outside of soccer after 2-4 years of play.
First off, are you saying Hotspurs is worse or similar than Arsenal? I thought Hotspurs was similar to Century/Beadling. That's what I see at the younger ages.

Here's the thing, if Conner's sister was an elite athlete, like just a gifted freak athlete who was obsessed with soccer and wanted more than anything to play pro soccer, in those rare, rare cases where you have this type of player in the hinterlands, then ok, I can see making the 2 hour trek twice a week (not 3 times though. Maybe 1 practice, 1 game). But we're talking an extremely rare talent/situation. For 99% of players who do this, its their parents pushing them and they could achieve being a marginal D1 player and still have a childhood

Reactions: Pitt79
Its not just the $5000-$10,000 they paid in gas. Its the time. Its the lost childhood. I hope she is a potential USWNT team player because if not and she's just a regular D1 player, I would say the loss of a childhood wasn't worth the college savings. There's grants, academic scholarships, financial aid. And perhaps the parents could have helped pay. And lets be honest, if she was THAT good, its likely she still could have earned a D1 scholarship by playing for her local club team or traveling 30 minutes. She could have gone to college ID camps, sent tapes out, etc. If you're good, they'll find you. You mention basketball and I disagree 100% with players leaving home at 15 for a basketball boarding school. Play AAU locally and for your local HS. Friggin Zion Williamson played public school basketball. Look at Adou Thierou. Played public school ball in Allegheny County, didnt even play AAU or played a low AAU level and he's going to Kentucky. Cam Johnson was similar. They'll find you.
I don't think its your place to tell somewhat what constitutes a lost childhood.

First off, are you saying Hotspurs is worse or similar than Arsenal? I thought Hotspurs was similar to Century/Beadling. That's what I see at the younger ages.

Here's the thing, if Conner's sister was an elite athlete, like just a gifted freak athlete who was obsessed with soccer and wanted more than anything to play pro soccer, in those rare, rare cases where you have this type of player in the hinterlands, then ok, I can see making the 2 hour trek twice a week (not 3 times though. Maybe 1 practice, 1 game). But we're talking an extremely rare talent/situation. For 99% of players who do this, its their parents pushing them and they could achieve being a marginal D1 player and still have a childhood
What league is hot spurs in?

@Sean Miller Fan
Put her in Pittsburgh on a club team like Hotspurs, and she’d be playing collegiately at Cal U and then getting on her with life’s work outside of soccer after 2-4 years of play.
You realize the NWSL salary is in general less than an average job? Unless you make the national team, are you making very much? I read the max salary for NWSL is like $40k.

You realize the NWSL salary is in general less than an average job? Unless you make the national team, are you making very much? I read the max salary for NWSL is like $40k.
Huh? Of course. What’s your point. ?

Huh? Of course. What’s your point. ?
The point is what's wrong with getting on with her life’s work outside of soccer after 2-4 years of play, it's not like football or men's basketball where the last man on the bench is a millionaire, Even WNBA, I make more than they do.

The point is what's wrong with getting on with her life’s work outside of soccer after 2-4 years of play, it's not like football or men's basketball where the last man on the bench is a millionaire, Even WNBA, I make more than they do.
There’s nothing wrong with that. My kids sat in front of ACC, Big East, etc coaches and had opportunities to play major collegiate soccer, but ultimately chose mid majors because they knew that they weren’t good enough to play after the collegiate careers were over. There were no national team opportunities in their futures, so they made decisions to play their 4 years with the scholarship money they received, and then move on with their life’s work.

For anyone who plays for hot spurs, their best opportunity would have been to walk on at Cal U or receive a $500 per year scholarship, join a roster of 35 other players, then decide to quit after two years because they come to the realization that it’s not worth it for $500. Then they get on with their life’s work, and have all kinds of student loan debt to start paying off.

There’s nothing wrong with that. My kids sat in front of ACC, Big East, etc coaches and had opportunities to play major collegiate soccer, but ultimately chose mid majors because they knew that they weren’t good enough to play after the collegiate careers were over. There were no national team opportunities in their futures, so they made decisions to play their 4 years with the scholarship money they received, and then move on with their life’s work.

For anyone who plays for hot spurs, their best opportunity would have been to walk on at Cal U or receive a $500 per year scholarship, join a roster of 35 other players, then decide to quit after two years because they come to the realization that it’s not worth it for $500. Then they get on with their life’s work, and have all kinds of student loan debt to start paying off.
I don't even know what hot spurs is, other than the Tottenham team. :)

So did your daughters play at the highest level clubs starting from what age? Who's idea was it? My daughter played nothing but rec until 8th grade and then decided she was trying out for travel and the high school. I never decided for her. She didn't even play until 3rd grade. for 4 years she played in a local rec league, walking distance from our house, just because her friends played there, When she said she was trying out for high school and travel, I told her don't get upset if you don't make it, but she did and did extremely well. And she tried out for a travel team very close by, didn't research it or still don't even know exactly what league they where in, but we did play tournaments in PA, NJ, MD, VA. She didn't really enjoy it a whole lot because the coach acted like it was really serious, but she had a great high school career and that year of college.

Playing for NWSL might have a low salary, but many of the players aren’t paying college loans and are doing their life’s work along with playing pro soccer. Many players are doing other things on the side they are passionate about.

I really don’t understand SMFs take here. I mean my kid loves for soccer, that is her dedication. Her best friends on her club team don’t go to her high school. They have traveled all over the country together and created amazing friendships. They all work hard, they all have great grades, and they all get to do what they love. We pay for it financially, the kids pay for it by learning to persevere, respect each other, respect their bodies, push themselves to overcome many challenges and learn to drive forward despite outcomes. Your local club that plays Rec has limitations in opportunities far beyond college soccer. You typically don’t have the quality athlete or quality coach. And we pay for it in time and money because the kid wants that. Perfect example, my daughter missed her prom this year because the team was playing in Arizona. Her best friend on the team goes to a different high school. She arranged for all the players who missed prom to go to her prom. They had a great time and treated it no differently than their own high school prom. They had dates lined up and everything. It turned out better than her own high school prom would have turned out. Like minded kids gel together no matter the distance, they have the same drive and it is just awesome. This year we have been to Seattle, Phoenix, Florida, all over Ohio, Nashville, Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Indianapolis, and South Carolina. They take buses, share hotel rooms, and absolutely love it. Did I also mention every one of them has a high GPA and all great students. Find me a downside besides what you perceive as an inconvenience.

Playing for NWSL might have a low salary, but many of the players aren’t paying college loans and are doing their life’s work along with playing pro soccer. Many players are doing other things on the side they are passionate about.

I really don’t understand SMFs take here. I mean my kid loves for soccer, that is her dedication. Her best friends on her club team don’t go to her high school. They have traveled all over the country together and created amazing friendships. They all work hard, they all have great grades, and they all get to do what they love. We pay for it financially, the kids pay for it by learning to persevere, respect each other, respect their bodies, push themselves to overcome many challenges and learn to drive forward despite outcomes. Your local club that plays Rec has limitations in opportunities far beyond college soccer. You typically don’t have the quality athlete or quality coach. And we pay for it in time and money because the kid wants that. Perfect example, my daughter missed her prom this year because the team was playing in Arizona. Her best friend on the team goes to a different high school. She arranged for all the players who missed prom to go to her prom. They had a great time and treated it no differently than their own high school prom. They had dates lined up and everything. It turned out better than her own high school prom would have turned out. Like minded kids gel together no matter the distance, they have the same drive and it is just awesome. This year we have been to Seattle, Phoenix, Florida, all over Ohio, Nashville, Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Indianapolis, and South Carolina. They take buses, share hotel rooms, and absolutely love it. Did I also mention every one of them has a high GPA and all great students. Find me a downside besides what you perceive as an inconvenience.
That's awesome, if she's into it. I know my daughter would of skipped a soccer tournament for the prom, she also missed games every year to perform in ballet recitals, because she wanted to dance and play soccer. That's main point, if the kid wants it, I just sometimes saw obsessive soccer parents pushing kids who didn't care as much as they did.

This is awesome. 👏 well said. And well done.

I don't even know what hot spurs is, other than the Tottenham team. :)

So did your daughters play at the highest level clubs starting from what age? Who's idea was it? My daughter played nothing but rec until 8th grade and then decided she was trying out for travel and the high school. I never decided for her. She didn't even play until 3rd grade. for 4 years she played in a local rec league, walking distance from our house, just because her friends played there, When she said she was trying out for high school and travel, I told her don't get upset if you don't make it, but she did and did extremely well. And she tried out for a travel team very close by, didn't research it or still don't even know exactly what league they where in, but we did play tournaments in PA, NJ, MD, VA. She didn't really enjoy it a whole lot because the coach acted like it was really serious, but she had a great high school career and that year of college.
2 of my kids played at the highest level from young single digit ages. A 3rd did as well, but decided it wasn’t for them, which was fine. And my oldest played for a scrub club inspite of having talent and athleticism. But because of her club, she fell between the cracks. We weren’t going to let that happen with my other kids. So 2 embraced playing at the highest level while 1 did not, and 1 was never given the chance.

2 of my kids played at the highest level from young single digit ages. A 3rd did as well, but decided it wasn’t for them, which was fine. And my oldest played for a scrub club inspite of having talent and athleticism. But because of her club, she fell between the cracks. We weren’t going to let that happen with my other kids. So 2 embraced playing at the highest level while 1 did not, and 1 was never given the chance.
What made you put them at the highest level at a young age? It was your decision? My daughter chose what she would do, from age 4 to 8 she did gymnastics and dance, at a nearby rec center, we'd drive past the soccer league on the way there and I'd ask her if she wanted to try soccer, she said no, for 4 years, then she said yes and played the next 12, usually rec, 2-3 years on what might be considered lower level travel/select and high school and college. it wasn't premeditated or planned. at the young age, I sent her to the cheap, nearby local rec league, to see if she'd like it, I didn't want to join an expensive club until I was sure she wanted that, the first couple years it was $25 for the whole season :) The one year she was at a high level, full blown travel league was the worst year, cost a few thousand and she hated it, just about quit soccer. After that she just played for her school and a spring high school rec league, that way she wasn't overwhelmed between dance and soccer, she never wanted to quit ballet, she did that for 13 years. .

What made you put them at the highest level at a young age? It was your decision? My daughter chose what she would do, from age 4 to 8 she did gymnastics and dance, at a nearby rec center, we'd drive past the soccer league on the way there and I'd ask her if she wanted to try soccer, she said no, for 4 years, then she said yes and played the next 12, usually rec, 2-3 years on what might be considered lower level travel/select and high school and college. it wasn't premeditated or planned. at the young age, I sent her to the cheap, nearby local rec league, to see if she'd like it, I didn't want to join an expensive club until I was sure she wanted that, the first couple years it was $25 for the whole season :) The one year she was at a high level, full blown travel league was the worst year, cost a few thousand and she hated it, just about quit soccer. After that she just played for her school and a spring high school rec league, that way she wasn't overwhelmed between dance and soccer, she never wanted to quit ballet, she did that for 13 years. .
Again. Because we wasted time and money with the first child at the wrong place, and decided with the next 3 to put them in the right place from the beginning, thus giving them the opportunity to succeed at the highest level if that’s what they chose. 2 of them did, a 3rd did not. We presented a path…and let them decide whether to continue down it or not.

Missing prom for 1 of 345 soccer games she will have played. What seems like a good decision in the moment might not seem like it when the kid is older and is wishes they had more of a childhood.

I am totally on board with a player going full tilt and trying to accomplish their dream of making a low D1 roster or sitting on an ACC or Big Ten bench and giving up a childhood so they can pay $0 in monthly student loans as opposed to $600 or so. I question if it was worth it. If you are like FK and have access to a good club in your home area, by all means, go for it. You can work to accomplish your dreams and still have a normal childhood. But when you are spending 6-12 hours in a car (not even counting away tournamenta) to get to practice or games, I think the loss of normal youth activities outweighs the reward of not having to pay back student loans or playing on a good college team.

Missing prom for 1 of 345 soccer games she will have played. What seems like a good decision in the moment might not seem like it when the kid is older and is wishes they had more of a childhood.

I am totally on board with a player going full tilt and trying to accomplish their dream of making a low D1 roster or sitting on an ACC or Big Ten bench and giving up a childhood so they can pay $0 in monthly student loans as opposed to $600 or so. I question if it was worth it. If you are like FK and have access to a good club in your home area, by all means, go for it. You can work to accomplish your dreams and still have a normal childhood. But when you are spending 6-12 hours in a car (not even counting away tournamenta) to get to practice or games, I think the loss of normal youth activities outweighs the reward of not having to pay back student loans or playing on a good college team.
My kid drives 15 minutes to the best soccer in TN besides the Nashville team. The 11 hour bus ride with her teammates was the biggest thing she wanted to do when covid restrictions were lifted. Sharing a hotel with teammates and driving on a bus. You learn to build friendships differently when you do that. It’s like the old summer camps when kids were dropped off on the middle of nowhere for a week. They learned to build friendships while canoeing and shooting bow and arrows. My kid just happens to do it all over the country while kicking a ball. You know what else. I’m terrible at building friendships as an adult, and the soccer dads have become very close friends and guys I talk to every week. It’s a great environment when the club establishes the environment. I’m the end, one hell of a childhood so far. She’s seen almost every part of the country. Learned to talk to adults while being recruited, and learned to figure out her future on her own.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT