Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
Lowe
Ish
Bub/Thiero (probably cant afford both)
Fede replacement

No reason this cant be us.

The weird thing about the ACC is its basically harder to make the tournament out of it than make the Final Four since they cap our bids at 5 and give the MWC and others 10 bids.

This has just been absolutely remarkable what NC State has done these last 3 weeks. If you would have told somebody 3 weeks ago yesterday when Pitt beat NC State in the regular season finale at the Pete that “oh yea by the way this team will be in the Final Four in 3 weeks and win their next 9 games in a row. You would have thought that person was insane.

This has just been absolutely remarkable what NC State has done these last 3 weeks. If you would have told somebody 3 weeks ago yesterday when Pitt beat NC State in the regular season finale at the Pete that “oh yea by the way this team will be in the Final Four in 3 weeks and win their next 9 games in a row. You would have thought that person was insane.
True

What if you heard that one of these 2 teams will be in the Final Four, you would have thought its 99.9% Pitt, right?

Just as remarkable that they even got in. They really didn’t have any business winning the Virginia game in the ACC tourney. But things went their way and they did.

Just as remarkable that they even got in. They really didn’t have any business winning the Virginia game in the ACC tourney. But things went their way and they did.

Got a lucky break due to the unbalanced ACC schedule in that UVa only played 7 games vs the top 7 ACC teams. They really shouldn't have been the 3 seed but their schedule was super easy.

Hmm. Miami and NC ST in Finall 4s the last two years. Wasn't this conference supposed to be Duke and North Carolina and a bunch of leftovers???

Reactions: BurghGuy68
Hmm. Miami and NC ST in Finall 4s the last two years. Wasn't this conference supposed to be Duke and North Carolina and a bunch of leftovers???

2016 Syracuse
2019 Virginia
2020 no tournament (Lou would have been a 2 seed)
2023 Miami
2024 NC St

There have been 4 non-Duke/UNC ACC schools in the last 8 Final Fours. And 6 of the 15 have made a FF in the last 8.

When the 10th place team in your league can make the Final 4 that says a heck of a lot about the quality depth of your conference.
And that is not really saying that after the fact.

NC State has 7 players who can score. Three of them are bigs.

I have always been impressed with the offense they run.

Got a lucky break due to the unbalanced ACC schedule in that UVa only played 7 games vs the top 7 ACC teams. They really shouldn't have been the 3 seed but their schedule was super easy.
Are you even ever gonna give me a bit of credit for first detailing that and emphasizing it?

They should fire Jim Phillips. He doesn't market this league at all. Instead of those as stupid "Come for It All" commercials, they should make their 24-25 ad slogan something like "the best basketball conference in the land, period." During the MWC tournament, they had ads on the scorer's table detailing the league's accomplishments such as 24-7 vs P12. I say the ACC get totally obnoxious about this and even inscribe on their courts something like "the nation's premier basketball conference."

I am never going to get over not being in this tournament. We could be in the Final Four right now but ESPN (besides Bilas) bashed us and the league.

They should fire Jim Phillips. He doesn't market this league at all. Instead of those as stupid "Come for It All" commercials, they should make their 24-25 ad slogan something like "the best basketball conference in the land, period." During the MWC tournament, they had ads on the scorer's table detailing the league's accomplishments such as 24-7 vs P12. I say the ACC get totally obnoxious about this and even inscribe on their courts something like "the nation's premier basketball conference."

I am never going to get over not being in this tournament. We could be in the Final Four right now but ESPN (besides Bilas) bashed us and the league.
Being a Pitt fan for 6 decades has had more than a fair share of frustrations but this season is unique in that it ended as an incomplete.

Reactions: Pittisit4me

I dunno. Bill Walton proclaiming the P12 as the conference of champions over and over again was a major turnoff. This while the P12 was a one bid league. I get your point though. Politicians and special interests have the NYT, WaPo, and all the networks in their pockets. Everyone on network and cable news is bought and paid for. I suppose it’s time the ACC buys and pays espn talking heads.

It became a punchline.

"Hey everyone, Bill said Conference of Chumpions again, everyone drinks!"
I’m being honest when I say this, I felt bad for everyone involved when the conference fell apart. Then I thought of Walton saying that crap obnoxiously over and over again, and I instantly was ok with the demise of the league.

Your views seem extreme. A few weeks ago, you were literally suggesting that the ACC somehow force schools to upgrade their coaching staffs and investment in basketball while claiming the conference was "historically bad".

What changed?

The difference is that ESPN and the ACC are literally business partners and yet ESPN bashes the league. CNN, Fox, and MSNBC are officially affiliated with a political party but they serve as cheerleaders for their chosen party. Would it be so wrong for ESPN to try to prop up its business partner?

The difference is that ESPN and the ACC are literally business partners and yet ESPN bashes the league. CNN, Fox, and MSNBC are officially affiliated with a political party but they serve as cheerleaders for their chosen party. Would it be so wrong for ESPN to try to prop up its business partner?

ESPN doesn't bash the league. It doesn't take a genius to see that the league is down. Take a look at each individual program...

Louisville, FSU, and Notre Dame have all nosedived recently.

Fair or not, the perception is out there that UNC & Duke aren't what they were under Roy and K.

Syracuse has been stagnant for several years.

Virginia and Virginia Tech have declined significantly in the last 5 years.

If you want to look for improvement, Pitt and Wake have improved significantly, but they are pretty much just bubble programs.

Clemson is a bubble program that's good for a bid every 3 or 4 years.

Miami had a really nice 2-year pop in 22 & 23, and hit an iceberg this year. NC State has a great, if not historic 3 week run.

BC and GT have been irrelevant for a significant period of time.

Anything there you disagree with?

ESPN doesn't bash the league. It doesn't take a genius to see that the league is down. Take a look at each individual program...

Louisville, FSU, and Notre Dame have all nosedived recently.

Fair or not, the perception is out there that UNC & Duke aren't what they were under Roy and K.

Syracuse has been stagnant for several years.

Virginia and Virginia Tech have declined significantly in the last 5 years.

If you want to look for improvement, Pitt and Wake have improved significantly, but they are pretty much just bubble programs.

Clemson is a bubble program that's good for a bid every 3 or 4 years.

Miami had a really nice 2-year pop in 22 & 23, and hit an iceberg this year. NC State has a great, if not historic 3 week run.

BC and GT have been irrelevant for a significant period of time.

Anything there you disagree with?

- Lunardi does and has for years

- Louisville going from a Top 15 program to Stallings has hurt, no doubt but that's 1 of 15 teams. GT and BC are perennial doormats but every league has bad teams

- Miami and FSU seem to alternate being really good or really sucking.

- Syr, VT, Pitt, Wake, NC St, etc - those teams are every bit as good as TCU, BYU, Oklahoma, Texas Tech and you know that. Throw Syr in the B12 and they go 9-9 or 8-10 and get enough Q1s to be right there on the bubble.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT