ADVERTISEMENT

Michigan Spring Game Attendance

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
People trolling them for only drawing 31K after winning a Natty. Ohio State drew 82K and charged $10 per head. Michigan was free. That Mich/OSU rivalry reminds me a little of Pitt/WVU in that Ohio State hates Michigan much more than Michigan hates Ohio State. Ohio State is the college football crazed southern neighbors with a little brother complex whereas Michigan fans may show up on Saturdays during the season but their life doesn't revolve around the Wolverines football. Ohio State also views Michigan fans as snobby who think they are better than them.

Plus, Michigan is returning something like 6 starters? They’re seemingly bracing for a relatively average year for them recently - something like 9-3ish. Of course, they’ll be content with that given the result last year, but OSU has higher expectations given the $$ they allegedly dished out this year.

People trolling them for only drawing 31K after winning a Natty. Ohio State drew 82K and charged $10 per head. Michigan was free. That Mich/OSU rivalry reminds me a little of Pitt/WVU in that Ohio State hates Michigan much more than Michigan hates Ohio State. Ohio State is the college football crazed southern neighbors with a little brother complex whereas Michigan fans may show up on Saturdays during the season but their life doesn't revolve around the Wolverines football. Ohio State also views Michigan fans as snobby who think they are better than them.
Michigan is also the first school to ever have their Spring Game broadcast on network TV (FOX). All of the spring attendance counters can put that in their pipe and smoke it!

Little bro has had the better of it since 2000, 17-7. Harbaugh's record against them was 3-5.

Another reason why it reminds me of the Pitt/WVU rivalry. Little Bro always wins and they still have that inferiority complex. Ohio State is a fine school but they act like they are a community college playing Harvard. I wonder if historically, the rich kids from Ohio went to Michigan or left the state and Ohio State University was mainly the working class kids.

I live in the Metro Detroit area which Ann Arbor is a part of, there was zero publicity for the Spring Game, all I remember seeing is a quick mention on one of local news shows Saturday morning.

Spring football attendance debates are maybe the single dumbest thing in sports.
Debates yes, but you don't think spring football attendance is an indicator of a fanbase's passion for their team? Think it wouldn't warm the cockles of Heather Lyke's heart to see 40,000 Pitt fans attending the Blue-Gold game?

Debates yes, but you don't think spring football attendance is an indicator of a fanbase's passion for their team? Think it wouldn't warm the cockles of Heather Lyke's heart to see 40,000 Pitt fans attending the Blue-Gold game?
I think it is a serious barometer of their priorities yes. It shouldn't be a "fans" responsibility to go to an absolutely totally meaningless scrimmage. Just to make people feel better. And people who make it as a sign or worthiness are losers. Sorry.
Now in saying that, if there was this hot shot 5 star kid, or some big time transfer, I get it. I remember the buzz when Shady first practiced. Or Fitz. But I think I can name you like 5 players total from the last two recruiting classes.

Edit. If you have kids, its a nice day, sure something to do outside.

The spring game attendance game is always a weird flex. If you want to go, cool, it's a good time. I enjoy taking in a couple of Steelers training camp practices each year if I find some free time. If you don't, who cares? It's a glorified practice. I don't think you are any more or less supportive of your team if you go/don't go.

I think it is a serious barometer of their priorities yes. It shouldn't be a "fans" responsibility to go to an absolutely totally meaningless scrimmage. Just to make people feel better. And people who make it as a sign or worthiness are losers. Sorry.
Now in saying that, if there was this hot shot 5 star kid, or some big time transfer, I get it. I remember the buzz when Shady first practiced. Or Fitz. But I think I can name you like 5 players total from the last two recruiting classes.

Edit. If you have kids, its a nice day, sure something to do outside.

Seeing some hilarious Michigan fan comments. One has a banner that reads "Spring Game Attendance 80,000 2024." Another one said Ohio State won the Spring Championship. Reminds me of PSU too.

Michigan is also the first school to ever have their Spring Game broadcast on network TV (FOX). All of the spring attendance counters can put that in their pipe and smoke it!

I hate to break it to you, but the week before Michigan's spring game was on Fox, Ohio State's game was on Fox.

Reactions: FireballZ
I live in the Metro Detroit area which Ann Arbor is a part of, there was zero publicity for the Spring Game, all I remember seeing is a quick mention on one of local news shows Saturday morning.
I’ve lived in metro Detroit for 45 years, and there has never been any publicity or excitement or interest for Michigan or MSU spring games.

The Michigan program has been gutted since they won the natty. Entire starting offense gone, most of the defense, all
of the leadership. The head coach and 75% of the staff. Recruiting sanctions on the program. First time HC in way over his head. One new commit since the natty. Expectations for them couldn’t be much lower for 2024.

I’ve lived in metro Detroit for 45 years, and there has never been any publicity or excitement or interest for Michigan or MSU spring games.

The Michigan program has been gutted since they won the natty. Entire starting offense gone, most of the defense, all
of the leadership. The head coach and 75% of the staff. Recruiting sanctions on the program. First time HC in way over his head. One new commit since the natty. Expectations for them couldn’t be much lower for 2024.

Hmmm. Not a guaranteed loss for PSU then. 11-1 is now my PSU prediction.

Ohio State hates Michigan much more than Michigan hates Ohio State..and you made this determination how? It would be safe to say that Michigan hates Ohio State more than anyone else and Ohio State hate Michigan more than anyone else and thus the Pitt/WVU analogy falls apart...

Ohio State hates Michigan much more than Michigan hates Ohio State..and you made this determination how? It would be safe to say that Michigan hates Ohio State more than anyone else and Ohio State hate Michigan more than anyone else and thus the Pitt/WVU analogy falls apart...

Knowing alums. Michigan alums have that "I'm better than you" attitude toward Ohio State. They look down on the school. And OSU fans know this. I dont think most of America understands the dynamic. Its pretty similar to Pitt/WVU.

Didn't Michigan have a big rivalry with ND? Maybe that is non-existent now, and maybe even when it did exist it wasn't as big as OSU, but I remember them having a rivalry.

They don't play Michigan this season. If they had a legit QB, it wouldn't be far-fetched to think they could go 12-0. Ohio State at home, at USC. But they'll probably blow at least two games with who they have.

Dont need a QB. Loss to OSU. Win the rest. Maybe lose 1. Minimum of 10 wins is a guarantee.

Didn't Michigan have a big rivalry with ND? Maybe that is non-existent now, and maybe even when it did exist it wasn't as big as OSU, but I remember them having a rivalry.

I think Lloyd Carr was the one who brought that to an end. He complained that Michigan's schedule was too difficult. They continued that tradition with Harbaugh who dropped a home & home with UCLA in order to play Jabroni U. I guess you can't argue with the results as Michigan won it all last year.

PSU OOC in 2025 is Nevada, FIU, Villanova. Following the Michigan model now. Would violate the laws of physics to not finish 10-2 with that schedule.

They're just lucky this isn't college basketball. They could go 13-0 against that schedule on be on the bubble, whereas if they swapped FIU and Villanova for LSU and Alabama they would be safely in at 9-3 with two 40-point losses.

The mass exodus of players is similar to when RR took over for Carr. B10 fans wanted to rip RR's coaching ability when in reality the offense was gutted across the board when he took over.

They'll probably be in the playoff at least 1/3 of the time, which is depressing. But maybe it will be good for Pitt and galvanize some donors.

Right. 3 guaranteed slots so its

OSU: every year
PSU, USC, Oregon, Mich: 2 of those 4 every year

I dont see Wisconsin or Iowa making it but maybe once in awhile. PSU will be in it 1/3 to 1/2 of the time. Very easy schedule and they will have better players in 10-11 Saturday per year. And say what you want about Franklin, he doesn't lose to inferior or similar teams. PSU is the most predictable team in the nation. So much so I bet on all their games. I bet them to lose to OSU and Mich and win the rest (moneyline). Works like a charm.

Knowing alums. Michigan alums have that "I'm better than you" attitude toward Ohio State. They look down on the school. And OSU fans know this. I dont think most of America understands the dynamic. Its pretty similar to Pitt/WVU.
So no basis in fact just knowing three people...got it... if it is similar to Pitt/WVU then do tell me is there ever a time when Michigan roots for Ohio State? and if so, do tell who that might be.

So no basis in fact just knowing three people...got it... if it is similar to Pitt/WVU then do tell me is there ever a time when Michigan roots for Ohio State? and if so, do tell who that might be.
I live in the Metro Detroit area and his assessment of the rivalry is spot on. Michigan's rivalry with MSU is more of the year round thing since alumni and fans interact way way more, the Ohio State rivalry only flares up a week or two before the game.

I think Lloyd Carr was the one who brought that to an end. He complained that Michigan's schedule was too difficult. They continued that tradition with Harbaugh who dropped a home & home with UCLA in order to play Jabroni U. I guess you can't argue with the results as Michigan won it all last year.
Not so. ND backed out of the series effective after 2014 because of their new obligation to play 5 ACC football games/season.

I live in the Metro Detroit area and his assessment of the rivalry is spot on. Michigan's rivalry with MSU is more of the year round thing since alumni and fans interact way way more, the Ohio State rivalry only flares up a week or two before the game.
That's true, the Michigan/MSU rivalry is more day to day and is in a lot of people's own houses and families, but Michigan fans' and alums' hatred for OSU is far beyond how they feel about MSU, or ND. On the other hand, the hatred MSU fans/alums have for Michigan is far greater than the vice versa, and the arrogant, haughty,. better than you 'tude of the Michigan faithful is a HUGE reason for that.

The mass exodus of players is similar to when RR took over for Carr. B10 fans wanted to rip RR's coaching ability when in reality the offense was gutted across the board when he took over.
Well he came in and completely changed 100 years of the way they played football there and most of those guys didn't fit what he wanted to do both physically and philosophically. They left for their own ptential pro futures. His system was just starting to finally take some shape when he got canned.

He may have been the worst cultural fit in college football history. The last straw for the Michigan brass was at the U of M football banquet in 2010 when he was already very much swirling the drain, He got up in front of the room full of U of M illuminati and started rambling emotionally, quoting bible verses, and then the grand finale of grabbing AD Dave Brandon's hand and singing "you lift me up". He wanted everyone to sign along but they sat there in stunned silence. I have a couple of friends who were in the room for that and said the look of mortification on Brandon's face when RR grabbed his hand and started singing that cheesedick song was priceless. You'd think RR would have figured out early on in his time at Michigan that deep south evengelical culture doesn't play in Ann Arbor, MI.

He may have been the worst cultural fit in college football history. The last straw for the Michigan brass was at the U of M football banquet in 2010 when he was already very much swirling the drain, He got up in front of the room full of U of M illuminati and started rambling emotionally, quoting bible verses, and then the grand finale of grabbing AD Dave Brandon's hand and singing "you lift me up". He wanted everyone to sign along but they sat there in stunned silence.
Honestly, sounds like something reigning national championship (now ex-)Michigan coach Harbaugh would do.

Well he came in and completely changed 100 years of the way they played football there and most of those guys didn't fit what he wanted to do both physically and philosophically. They left for their own ptential pro futures. His system was just starting to finally take some shape when he got canned.

He may have been the worst cultural fit in college football history. The last straw for the Michigan brass was at the U of M football banquet in 2010 when he was already very much swirling the drain, He got up in front of the room full of U of M illuminati and started rambling emotionally, quoting bible verses, and then the grand finale of grabbing AD Dave Brandon's hand and singing "you lift me up". He wanted everyone to sign along but they sat there in stunned silence. I have a couple of friends who were in the room for that and said the look of mortification on Brandon's face when RR grabbed his hand and started singing that cheesedick song was priceless. You'd think RR would have figured out early on in his time at Michigan that deep south evengelical culture doesn't play in Ann Arbor, MI.
So I was in Morgantown when this all went down. I mean talk about a run peg/square hole. Though Rich was a much better coach, it was very similar to Todd Graham coming here culture wise. Ironically Froddy was on Rich's staff.

Rich would have been so much better off, athlete wise, academic requirement wise if he went to an SEC school.

when the national pundits said RR's offense nor defense could work in the B10, it's funny because after he left everyone was mimicking to some extent if not going full board with it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT