ADVERTISEMENT

Midlands 2022

Another big test (pun intended) tomorrow for Pitzer in #4 Trent Hillger.
#1 Cole gets unseeded Saul Ervin of SIUE
#2 Reece gets #3 Anthony Carman of WVU
#4 Mac gets #1 Braxton Amos of Wisconsin

Reactions: wrestlingfan22
@Eric_Knopsnyder I saw in your latest article that Pitt was ranked 7th in the intermat tournament rankings. I’m assuming that’s without Pitzer.

Putting him in the lineup with what we just saw, how far up does that move us? Would this push us into team trophy contention?

@Eric_Knopsnyder I saw in your latest article that Pitt was ranked 7th in the intermat tournament rankings. I’m assuming that’s without Pitzer.

Putting him in the lineup with what we just saw, how far up does that move us? Would this push us into team trophy contention?
If they all wrestle the tournament of their lives, yes, but that's a big if. The hard part with Pitt's lineup is there isn't a guy that you can say, yes, he's a guaranteed finalist (or top four). Nino's been there before and has been wrestling really well, but '97 is brutal.
Cole is No. 1, but he's always going to be in really tight matches and that can go south in a hurry. Same with Micky.
The Hellers are hella fun to watch, but the go-for-broke style can also backfire.
Cheez isn't looking like a round-of-12 guy right now.
So, if you put Nino and Cole in the finals, get Micky, Reece and Pitzer on the podium and get some wins throughout the lineup? I'm not great with tournament math, but I think that would have them in contention.

Holy shit Pitzer put a clinic on riding and beats Colton Schultz. Wow
Way to go Pitzer!! Mac stout dismantles Cooley, know why he transferred now, l
Way to go Pitzer!! Mac stout dismantles Cooley, know why he transferred now, lol
Pitzer looked unbelievable. Pull hos redshirt.. Cooley hurt his ankle on the first takedown and was hobbling until his coach called it, i wouldn’t say he dismantled him..

Reactions: lucac
Ryan Michaels wins five matches on the back side (fall, fall, 3-1 SV, 3-2, and a medical forfeit in the R12) and has clinched a podium spot. Great tournament for that young man!

Badgett had a nice win over former top recruit Jude Swisher of Penn. He's got a Princeton wrestler who I'm not familiar with in the R12.

Pitt went 1-6 at 157, with Mancini getting the only win.

Our semifinals at 197 and 285 are both against Wisconsin who are currently leading the team race (Pitt 3rd after day 1).

Ryan Michaels wins five matches on the back side (fall, fall, 3-1 SV, 3-2, and a medical forfeit in the R12) and has clinched a podium spot. Great tournament for that young man!

Badgett had a nice win over former top recruit Jude Swisher of Penn. He's got a Princeton wrestler who I'm not familiar with in the R12.

Pitt went 1-6 at 157, with Mancini getting the only win.

Our semifinals at 197 and 285 are both against Wisconsin who are currently leading the team race (Pitt 3rd after day 1).
Michaels is the quintessential KG guy. Works super hard and grinds as hard as anyone. I bet KG loves him to death. I will say that the weight cut looks to be taxing him. He gassed in the third in a few of his matches. Would have beaten Alvarez if he hadnt gassed out.

I think Pitt splits the Wisconsin semi matches. I expect Pitzer to win and Mac to drop a hard fought, close match.

Cole wins 4-0, which seems like a blowout for him. Typical Cole effort: Unshakable on top, gets an escape, cuts the corner for a takedown, picks up riding time point.
Its quite obvious that guys are not going to shoot on him. Im a little surprised that Cole hasnt started shooting more to try to engage in some scrambles

Reactions: singregardless
You don't pull a freshman's redshirt to AA unless the team is competing for the top step and as good as he is wrestling right now he will not be in the mix for an NC in March.

Did I just see what I think I saw? Way to go Dayton!!!
That was crazy! He was pinned twice before the ref finally called it. I think Dayton took some things for granted in this match, especially on bottom. Hopefully he learns quickly because Davison is exactly the kind of HWT that will give him problems. Davison is the kind of physical specimen that Pitzer will be in the future. Not sure if this is one he can pull off right now. What a statement though if he does. Wow

You don't pull a freshman's redshirt to AA unless the team is competing for the top step and as good as he is wrestling right now he will not be in the mix for an NC in March.
I couldnt disagree more. Not even sure how he wouldnt be in the NC conversation right now. Does he have things to work on? Yes, but he can consistently beat all but a few current heavies right now. Plus, with Phillippi and Nino on their last runs, now is the time to take a shot for the team

Just realized I got too excited and was posting on the link to my preview article. 😂
So Pitt goes 3-for-4 in the semis.
141-Cole Matthews with a 4-0 win; will face Josh Edmond (Mizzou unattached)
184-Reece Heller with a fall; will face Jaritt Shinhoster (UW-Whitewater)
285-Dayton Pitzer with a fall; will face Lucas Davison (Northwestern)

I couldnt disagree more. Not even sure how he wouldnt be in the NC conversation right now. Does he have things to work on? Yes, but he can consistently beat all but a few current heavies right now. Plus, with Phillippi and Nino on their last runs, now is the time to take a shot for the team
IMO his ceiling is 3rd this year behind Paris and Kerkvliet and could be lower depending on seeding and pulling his redshirt season his means has Kerk to deal with for 3 of his 4 seasons. It is natural for fans to get excited about individual results but Shultz is not healthy right now and Hilger is 10th in the country.

Last edited:
IMO his ceiling is 3rd this year behind Paris and Kerkvliet and could be lower depending on seeding and pulling his redshirt season his means has Kerk to deal with for 3 of his 4 seasons. It is natural for fans to get excited about individual results but Shultz is not healthy right now and Hilger is 10th in the country.
Your opinion, exactly.

It is a pretty educated opinion and we are talking about a weight class where true freshmen rarely have AA level success.

I am curious where you honestly believe he would finish in march.
The same place Pat Santoro does.

A shot at what ?

Oof, Luca got decked. Got in a bad position trying to fight off a takedown and got caught. Nice finish by his opponent

Mac falls to Davison 4-1. What a great tournament for him. 197 is set and STRONG for the next 4 years

Reactions: singregardless
Nino's win over Braunagel is looking real good right now too

Im pretty sure that if Pitzer wins, Pitt takes the tournament

Pitzer loses 4-0. That was always a tough matchup. It was like he was wrestling his future self. Great showing overall. Cant not be impressed

Reactions: lucac
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT