ADVERTISEMENT

Midlands/Matmen

persp

Senior
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2001
Let's get this thread started. Found the brackets, but not a rokfin subscriber so not watching. Seems Camacho was majored in his first match against an unseeded guy. That was a disappointing way to start. Seems most everyone else had a bye or won their prelim match.

• Wow
Reactions: jctrack
Really not liking Rokfin. Can't find the mat assignments anywhere. Annoying

Badgett got beat up bad then pinned by Carida from Bloomsburg. Disappointing there

• Wow
Brackets are not on Rokfin. Rokfin is basically a rival to YouTube so no brackets will be on there. Here is the link for brackets: https://www.tournaflex.com/splat.asp?target=brackets1.htm

Need some background info on the bracket website since Willie and Izzy came in abs saved the tournament they did not do it on Flo/track due to the strained relationship that Willie has with his former employer. I know it is kind of annoying to see brackets like they were in 2001 but it’s better than no tournament at all

Reactions: jctrack and persp
Camacho went 1-2 against three Ivies.
2 seed Curry survived his first match in SV and then got upset in the next round.
Micky won two matches by three points against a backup and an unattached freshman.
Cole picked up two seven-point wins over backups.
Kemerer went 0-2 against Northern Illinois and a backup.
Mancini won one on the front side and one on the back side, then was eliminated by a wrestler from Brown.
Cleary made the SFs with a TF and a 5-4 win over Cal Poly's starter.
Badgett continues to do some ok things going 3-1. Was pinned by Carida of Bloomsburg who is good. Still in it.
Wentzel to the semis beating an NCAA qualifier from Hofstra 5-2.
Kernan went 0-2 against a guy he pinned a month ago, and an AA from Rutgers.

Good thing the upperweights always bring us home on a good note.
Harvey had a nice 7-0 win over Bucknell's starter, then was the bracket's sacrificial lamb to Mark Hall. 184 is a deep weight so he could see some good backside matches tomorrow.
Nino teched Harvard's starter and majored Campbell's starter. Beautiful stuff.
Slinger pinned a non-D1 in the first minute and then took out Rutgers' starter to move into the SF. Big win for our hwt!

I think the annoying part for me is that we fired two good bullets each at 125 and 149 and all four are out on day 1 against competition that is...below ACC level. The woes of those weights continue for another day, at least--we have not qualified either weight since 2016.

Camacho went 1-2 against three Ivies.
2 seed Curry survived his first match in SV and then got upset in the next round.
Micky won two matches by three points against a backup and an unattached freshman.
Cole picked up two seven-point wins over backups.
Kemerer went 0-2 against Northern Illinois and a backup.
Mancini won one on the front side and one on the back side, then was eliminated by a wrestler from Brown.
Cleary made the SFs with a TF and a 5-4 win over Cal Poly's starter.
Badgett continues to do some ok things going 3-1. Was pinned by Carida of Bloomsburg who is good. Still in it.
Wentzel to the semis beating an NCAA qualifier from Hofstra 5-2.
Kernan went 0-2 against a guy he pinned a month ago, and an AA from Rutgers.

Good thing the upperweights always bring us home on a good note.
Harvey had a nice 7-0 win over Bucknell's starter, then was the bracket's sacrificial lamb to Mark Hall. 184 is a deep weight so he could see some good backside matches tomorrow.
Nino teched Harvard's starter and majored Campbell's starter. Beautiful stuff.
Slinger pinned a non-D1 in the first minute and then took out Rutgers' starter to move into the SF. Big win for our hwt!

I think the annoying part for me is that we fired two good bullets each at 125 and 149 and all four are out on day 1 against competition that is...below ACC level. The woes of those weights continue for another day, at least--we have not qualified either weight since 2016.
Is Curry out?

Curry is still alive in the consis

we currently stand at first place with 69.5 points and a decent lead on 2nd place Wisconsin with 62, granted it’s a bit of a weaker field. Seems our bonus points are a bit lower than some other teams in the top 5. It would be nice to see Mickey and Wentzel generate a little more offense, especially against lesser competition.

Reactions: jctrack and persp
Yeah, being in first is the real prize so far. Probably have a good shot to stay there for a while too. I would expect Micky, Cole, Jake, and Nino to advance further but will need some good wrestle back results from the others to keep the top spot.

Kemerer, Kernan, and Camacho are the big disappointments for me. Kemerer just doesn't seem to progress. He shows out a bit in freestyle then craps the bed come folk. Kernan clearly has talent but just freezes up in bigger matches and tournaments. I see myself in him far too much and that is extra frustrating.

The big takeaway I have is that Pitt is proving to be a much better tournament team than duals which is what many predicted.

Hope we can celebrate some titles tomorrow!

Kemerer is disappointing. He reminds me of a kid in my wrestling team in high school. He would show flashes of brilliance on the mat and then go through five or six matches where he would lose to guys he should have beaen. Maybe a mental thing?

149 is a huge weakness, I don’t like talking about kids individually but I’ve coached against Kemerer many times and we need to recruit over him. I’m
Not saying give up on him but we have no one coming at his weight that is a top recruit, that scares me for the future.

Ryno53, you always come up with it when someone by passes my mind. Your right, McMillan is the future, hopefully 🙏

Cole lost to Penn kid.. Wasn’t expecting to see Wentzel lose to the Harvard kid.. 1-0 on a riding time point. Harvard kid picked neutral in the 3rd. Can only see the scoreboard, not the live action.. but would have expected Wentzel to get a takedown in the 5 mins they were on their feet.

Last edited:
Cole lost to Penn kid.. Wasn’t expecting to see Wentzel lose to the Harvard kid.. 1-0 on a riding time. Harvard kid picked neutral in the 3rd. Can only see the scoreboard, not the love action.. but would have expected Wentzel to get a takedown in the 5 mins they were on their feet.
He’s gonna be dealing with that all season, especially in the nationals that nobody’s gonna go down on him so he better find some offense cause you only need one takedown to get on top.

He’s gonna be dealing with that all season, especially in the nationals that nobody’s gonna go down on him so he better find some offense cause you only need one takedown to get on top.
Yep, and everyone is avoiding his underhooks as well. He has zero offense if he can't get to and finish his underhooks.

Curry eliminated by a Lehigh redshirt
Micky with a nice bonus win over a very good Lehigh redshirt, wrestling up a weight though
Cole loses to unranked Composto from Penn but Composto just whipped Filius yesterday who eliminated Cole from 21 NCAAs so that was gonna be a tough match.
Cleary gets a forfeit from Coleman to move into the final against Penn's Zapf.
Badgett finishes 3-2, bowing out with a loss to Wisconsin's starter.
Jake's match was discussed above...
Harvey finished 2-2. Had a backside match against ranked Braunagel where he came back to tie it up 6-6 in the third, then got taken down and pinned.
Nino into the finals against Greg Bulsak
Slinger falls to AA Hillger and will try for third.

Harvey and Curry not eliminated. Will wrestle for 7th. Harvey looked pretty good. He wrestled Mark Hall tough in his first loss and was doing well with Braunagel (who beat Harvey easy last year at ncaas). Looks like his conditioning is back and that’s big for him.

Reactions: _DBHoops and persp
Harvey and Curry not eliminated. Will wrestle for 7th. Harvey looked pretty good. He wrestled Mark Hall tough in his first loss and was doing well with Braunagel (who beat Harvey easy last year at ncaas). Looks like his conditioning is back and that’s big for him.
Oh, I didn't see any 5th-7ths on the brackets so I figured they were just placing 1-4.

Awesome pin by Matthews to take third. That was the most impressive I've ever seen him on top. He made it look easy against a real tough guy. Hell yeah!

That gives Pitt the tournament lead going into 149. We have a shot this thing!

Reactions: _DBHoops
Looks like Pitt captured the title despite a disappointing loss by Nino in the finals. Looks like they had 121.5 point2 to Penn's 118. Nice win for the squad!

I do not understand Nino's decision to take neutral in the third. Is Bulsak that good on top that neutral was the right choice? Why not take a shot at the tying point from bottom and win at your leisure after? I just don't get that one

Reactions: jctrack and gary2
Looks like Pitt captured the title despite a disappointing loss by Nino in the finals. Looks like they had 121.5 point2 to Penn's 118. Nice win for the squad!

I do not understand Nino's decision to take neutral in the third. Is Bulsak that good on top that neutral was the right choice? Why not take a shot at the tying point from bottom and win at your leisure after? I just don't get that one
Did Nino not wrestle Bulsak before? when he was at Clarion?

Did Nino not wrestle Bulsak before? when he was at Clarion?
I'm not sure. He definitely looks like he has taken a big leap forward though. Took out Braxton AND Nino. That's impressive no matter how you slice it. Definitely don't think Nino wrestled a very strategically sound match though.

Big win for Cleary. He looks like a different guy in tournament setting. Much more offensive. That 2 hour weigh in must help him.

Side note, our recruits at Powerade looked great! Mac stout and Dayton Pitzer will be one hell of a 1-2 punch in the future

Reactions: _DBHoops and persp
Nino got screwed. Took 20 shots to Bulsak’s one and lost on locked hands.
I couldn't believe that he didn't get a stall call until the end. Barely did anything all match. Still understand Nino taking neutral though. He is good on bottom

Dear god the video of Wentzel's match is 22:38, what the hell am i about to watch?

Edit: nvm just an editing mistake, wrestling starts 13 minutes in.

We paid to watch that joke of a production. No replays shown. I guess they take whatever coverage they can get, but that was terrible.
Yeah, Rokfin always has bad production quality. I already cancelled after the Florida duals but subscription hadn't run out yet so I could watch the replays of the few matches that were cut & posted.

Reactions: Chaos
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT