ADVERTISEMENT

MLS expansion

There are plenty of players to be found there that they can sell on making a few hundred thousand in America where they can excel enough to move to Europe.

So then answer the question, just how dumb and/or lazy do you suppose all these South Americans are that they are sitting at home hanging out at the coffee shop when they could be making a couple million dollars playing in MLS? Especially ones that are good enough that a few years in the US will lead to a move to Europe.

So then answer the question, just how dumb and/or lazy do you suppose all these South Americans are that they are sitting at home hanging out at the coffee shop when they could be making a couple million dollars playing in MLS? Especially ones that are good enough that a few years in the US will lead to a move to Europe.

I was being sarcastic to make a point. But I do think there are 20 year olds all over South America that could be stars in MLS but maybe needed the scenery change or maybe just a less challenging environment. Like maybe they are stuck behind some 29 year old never-was at their local club in Colombia and that guy is just good enough to keep them on the bench. I just think there is so much talent down there that gets wasted. I think you can go into Ecuador, Paraguay, Chile, etc and offer some of the top young players a few hundred thousand and those would be some of the best players in MLS.

I was being sarcastic to make a point. But I do think there are 20 year olds all over South America that could be stars in MLS but maybe needed the scenery change or maybe just a less challenging environment. Like maybe they are stuck behind some 29 year old never-was at their local club in Colombia and that guy is just good enough to keep them on the bench. I just think there is so much talent down there that gets wasted. I think you can go into Ecuador, Paraguay, Chile, etc and offer some of the top young players a few hundred thousand and those would be some of the best players in MLS.

So the way to improve MLS is to bring in a bunch of young guys who aren't good enough to start for their clubs in places like Colombia and Ecuador?

When you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is to stop digging. You took another route though and went and got a backhoe to help you dig deeper faster. An interesting strategy, to say the least.

So all those leagues Ecuador, Paraguay, Chile, etc, are better than MLS and players who don't see the field there would be stars in MLS? I would of thought, Brazil, Argentina and maybe Columbia would be better than MLS, but all of those you think are better?

So all those leagues Ecuador, Paraguay, Chile, etc, are better than MLS and players who don't see the field there would be stars in MLS? I would of thought, Brazil, Argentina and maybe Columbia would be better than MLS, but all of those you think are better?

No, the leagues in Ecuador, Paraguay and Chile are not better than MLS. At least not in the real world. In SMF's world, apparently so.

You have it right. Brazil, Argentina and maybe Colombia. And even then, Argentina is probably better at the top by a decent amount but the bottom of that league is probably worse than the bottom of MLS. The difference between the best and worst teams in Brazil and Argentina is much, much greater than it is in MLS.

Reactions: Pitt79
No, the leagues in Ecuador, Paraguay and Chile are not better than MLS. At least not in the real world. In SMF's world, apparently so.

You have it right. Brazil, Argentina and maybe Colombia. And even then, Argentina is probably better at the top by a decent amount but the bottom of that league is probably worse than the bottom of MLS. The difference between the best and worst teams in Brazil and Argentina is much, much greater than it is in MLS.
That's what I think. Even in Europe the leagues are top heavy. One or two super rich teams are like Bama and Clemson in NCAA Football, and the rest just fill out the schedule. In England maybe 5-6 have a true shot, in Spain Barcelona and Real Madrid usually just take turns being champ, same with Olympiacos and Panathanaikos in Greece most of the time. Actually, a thing in favor of the MLS is that it's pretty balanced and many teams have a real shot at the title.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt

Brazil and Argentina are better without a doubt. Probably Colombia also. As for Ecuador, Paraguay, Uruguay, and Chile, I would say its close. Their best teams are probably better than the MLS's best. MLS's bottom teams are better than theirs.

Its hard to really say but you see in CONCACAF Champions League that MLS teams sometimes lose to Saprissa from Costa Rica and than Honduran club (Marathon?). I have watched some of those games and even when MLS wins, they never look dominant. Teams seem pretty even. Point is though that the middle tier South American leagues are WAY better than the leagues in Costa Rica, Honduras Panama, etc.

Brazil and Argentina are better without a doubt. Probably Colombia also. As for Ecuador, Paraguay, Uruguay, and Chile, I would say its close. Their best teams are probably better than the MLS's best. MLS's bottom teams are better than theirs.

Its hard to really say but you see in CONCACAF Champions League that MLS teams sometimes lose to Saprissa from Costa Rica and than Honduran club (Marathon?). I have watched some of those games and even when MLS wins, they never look dominant. Teams seem pretty even. Point is though that the middle tier South American leagues are WAY better than the leagues in Costa Rica, Honduras Panama, etc.
Two MLS teams made the Final 4 of the champions league last year vs. 2 Mexican teams, and one of the MLS teams made the Final, can't remember if it was NYRB or Toronto? In soccer it's not hard for teams from lesser leagues to play better teams well, I've witnessed Olympiacos of Greece defeat Man U, Man City, Aresnal to name a few.

Two MLS teams made the Final 4 of the champions league last year vs. 2 Mexican teams, and one of the MLS teams made the Final, can't remember if it was NYRB or Toronto? In soccer it's not hard for teams from lesser leagues to play better teams well, I've witnessed Olympiacos of Greece defeat Man U, Man City, Aresnal to name a few.

There have only been a handful of MLS teams who have won playoff series vs Liga MX. Seattle won 2 I think. RSL 1. Montreal 1. Toronto 1. Its not a big list.

There have only been a handful of MLS teams who have won playoff series vs Liga MX. Seattle won 2 I think. RSL 1. Montreal 1. Toronto 1. Its not a big list.

That's true, but at some level it's immaterial because not only is the Mexican League better than MLS it's also better than the leagues in Brazil, Aregentina and Colombia.

That's true, but at some level it's immaterial because not only is the Mexican League better than MLS it's also better than the leagues in Brazil, Aregentina and Colombia.

I dont agree but I would say they are close. This list ranks Liga MX slightly ahead of Brazil and Argentina and has MLS 19th, slightly ahead of the Championship. There is no way MLS is as good as the Championship.

https://www.kickalgor.com/football-leagues/the-ka-football-leagues-global-rating-for-2018-19/

Does the MLS product improve by diluting the talent immensely. I believe why some folks prefer watching EPL, Laa Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga, is due to the quality of play. Fans will become bored if the MLS product is too diluted.

not shortage of quality soccer players. only issue is if you want to pay them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT