ADVERTISEMENT

Most Overrated vacation place you visited.

The rim of the Grand Canyon.

Completely awed when first viewed, but the view stays basically the same no matter where you go. Its a long drive for about an hour's worth of awesomeness. I love to hike but my knees won't allow me to climb out so I couldn't go down.

On the other hand, I would love to float the canyon for a week.
As My late brother used to say of the Grand Canyon…”yep. A big hole in the ground. So what.”

Reactions: blair10
Just got back from California. Someone didn’t like Palm Springs, we enjoyed it. Admittedly, only there for two days, but liked the vibe. Of course I romanticize the golden era of Palm Springs; Bob Hope, the Kennedy’s, Elvis…

As for some of the other places mentioned, the Grand Canyon for example, they are bucket list things. Monument Valley, Joshua Tree (this trip), the Hollywood sign. They’re places you should see, but don’t plan on, or commit to a lot of time. See it and move on.

Some of these comments are funny and remind me of that Yogi Berra quip when he was asked about a certain restaurant: “Nobody goes there anymore; it’s too crowded.”

Reactions: briano25
Where have you gone that was totally overrated or disappointed you greatly? Explain and give details.

Mine: Aspen. So overcrowded and densely packed. Touristy and yet filled with one percenters. Imagine Walnut Street multiplied a thousand times or soho transplanted to the Rockies. The traffic to, from, and in Aspen is horrendous. Parks take parking reservations for you to plan a hike. Insanity. Patagonia and leggings/ yoga pants galore, but few people actually getting a workout. lame. I prefer outdoor places that actually focus on the outdoors.
Go there in the winter… 3 great and different mountains. Ajax is small and steep but Snowmass is my favorite there. Big Burn is a great run… turn after turn after turn. Aspen Highlands has some very demanding runs too.
That is, if you’re a skier😁

Alot of these answers also depend on your situation.

Single/couple
Kids/no kids
Budget/don't care
Time of year
Take Vegas, it was great because we went with 8 of us (4 couples). I would think alot of places in that situation could be really fun. Been to Vegas for a few conferences/trade shows and while fun, not as fun as that time.

With the caveat that I was 15 years old when I went there... going to see the Hoover Dam ranks up there as one of the biggest wastes of a day I can remember.

Reactions: Parkview57
Noooooo! Another must see.
Hoover Dam was a great day trip from Vegas for me. I was able to go inside the power plant and explore a lot of internal stuff. But that was before 9/11. I think security is much tighter now and no one is allowed inside.

Also, Lake Meade has lost a lot of depth since then.

Hoover Dam was a great day trip from Vegas for me. I was able to go inside the power plant and explore a lot of internal stuff. But that was before 9/11. I think security is much tighter now and no one is allowed inside.

Also, Lake Meade has lost a lot of depth since then.
Yeah, day trip from Vegas for me too. Before the new bridge was open. Don’t know what it’s like now.

When I was in high school, my family visited Niagara Falls and stayed on the US side. The falls were obviously impressive but the area surrounding it was a total dump.
Definition of a tourist trap.

With the caveat that I was 15 years old when I went there... going to see the Hoover Dam ranks up there as one of the biggest wastes of a day I can remember.
We flew over it on the way to the GC. It was pretty neat to see from a small plane close to it.

I feel like any vacation spot is what you make it out to be.

You can have a blast at a crap hole or be miserable in the most of exotic places in the world.

Hate to sound like a country song but give me a spot at the beach, time off work, kids splashing in the water with a cooler next to me and well I will make due and enjoy myself.

I liked how Aruba was windy so you didn't feel super hot while getting burned to a crisp.

Did our wedding anniversary there as a cruise stop 26 years ago this week...toured the island on a bus. Right by the Natural Bridge (which isn't there anymore as it fell into the ocean), there was a bunch of commotion. Apparently another young couple also on their honeymoon stopped to check out the rocks and the husband fell in and that was a shark infested area. So the new wife left there a widow. :oops:
There’s a ton of those type of stories coming from that island because the ocean side is really rough. Our tour guide said that’s where they disposed of Natalee Holloway. Outside of the Divi Divi tree the island is a desert, not close to any of the other islands as far as scenic greenery.

Reactions: BurghGuy68
I’ve really enjoyed all the places I’ve been to for vacation. At the very least they’ve met expectations. The only place I thought was overrated was Dallas/Arlington. Maybe it’s because of the hype from watching Cowboys games, but I was I underwhelmed with everything.

I’ve really enjoyed all the places I’ve been to for vacation. At the very least they’ve met expectations. The only place I thought was overrated was Dallas/Arlington. Maybe it’s because of the hype from watching Cowboys games, but I was I underwhelmed with everything.
I agree…was very underwhelmed by Dallas. I was there mostly for business, but had some time for recreation. I’m not saying it to be a smartass, the most compelling thing there was the Kennedy Assassination museum at the Texas School Depository site. Which actually was interesting, but pretty ominous as a tourist attraction. Other than that I was at some bar where they feature armadillo races. And these were the highlights of my visit.

Reactions: noelr and Pitt5593
Palm Springs - downtown is really cheesy....tee shirt shops and a bunch of crap stores and bars. (btw, Palm Dessert is actually pretty nice).

Aruba - beaches were OK but nothing special. Lots of big hotels, little character IMO.

Portofino - very, very small town.... 5 minutes of walking and you've seen everything. Traffic is a nightmare and the road from Santa Margherita to Portofino is absolutely hair raising. Most of the meals we had were OK (nothin special by Italian standards and we also had the worst pizza I've ever had in Italy. The harbor at night is pretty pcituresque. Overpriced too.

Cabo = beaches were nice but I've been to nicer. Downtown Cabo is junk... crappy restaurants and way to many drunken college kids.
What would be the reason to go to Palm Springs or Palm Desert other than golf? Not being sarcastic, never been there and not sure what else "touristy" they'd have there.

Disney and anything related to it. Crowded. Nasty tourists. Nasty lines. Nasty food. Nasty prices.
Well, you are an adult. Anyone over 21 (really should be 18 though) who legit enjoys Disney without kids has mental issues. Not saying they're seriously mentally ill or anything but they have something slightly wrong with them. Its a KIDS park. I think its pretty cool because my kids like it so the heat, crowds, prices, I'm totally cool with. But to go without kids, you'd have to give me a free trip and compensate me. So, I hate when I hear an adult say Disney (or any amusement park) is overrated. Ask the kids how they feel about it?

Surprised there were only two votes for Niagara Falls, which sucks but is also a right of passage for most families in Western PA

Vegas is too expensive to be fun

After a convention in Vegas. (Three days was enough) my wife flew in and we rented a car.
1. Stopped at Hoover dam. Amazing standing on the top rim. Lake was in good shape then.
2. Went to south rim of the Grand Canyon. Awesome to me. Did the Indian driving trail. Also Awesome.
3. Drove through Arizona. Stopped at the ski area for lunch.
4. Spent 3 days in Sedona. Love it’s weirdness. Would go back.
5. Last stop Scottsdale/Phoenix. Very busy, lots of traffic. Old town Scottsdale was awesome.
All in all, hated Vegas but loved our sight seeing trip from Vegas to Scottsdale. The sights were breathtaking, especially the cactus in the desert. It’s a must do if you’ve never been there.
Have been to many islands. Not a 3rd world country fan. The beaches here in HHI are all I need.

Where have you gone that was totally overrated or disappointed you greatly? Explain and give details.

Mine: Aspen. So overcrowded and densely packed. Touristy and yet filled with one percenters. Imagine Walnut Street multiplied a thousand times or soho transplanted to the Rockies. The traffic to, from, and in Aspen is horrendous. Parks take parking reservations for you to plan a hike. Insanity. Patagonia and leggings/ yoga pants galore, but few people actually getting a workout. lame. I prefer outdoor places that actually focus on the outdoors.
Detroit...It was rundown with a lot of abandoned houses and empty lots and folks walking around aimlessly....I don't understand the hype

Last edited:
There are entire communities who live underground in the water diversion tunnels.

Yeah I was wondering about that. Don’t know if it will flood out those people and end up seeing reports of deaths. Maybe they get out in time. But it’s like human rats, living in the dark tunnels like that.

Last edited:
Yeah, me too. I’ve never really had a bad time on vacation. Throw me on a beach of lakefront and I’ll make it work.

The crowded Disney amusement park in summer does sound painful to me though, I’ll admit that.

Well, you are an adult. Anyone over 21 (really should be 18 though) who legit enjoys Disney without kids has mental issues. Not saying they're seriously mentally ill or anything but they have something slightly wrong with them. Its a KIDS park. I think its pretty cool because my kids like it so the heat, crowds, prices, I'm totally cool with. But to go without kids, you'd have to give me a free trip and compensate me. So, I hate when I hear an adult say Disney (or any amusement park) is overrated. Ask the kids how they feel about it?
Ive been seeing these videos lately of these large family units getting into brawls at Disney. I’ll leave the obvious aside to avoid it going down that rabbit hole but I do wonder why there are multiple adults within these family units.

I see the parents and like 3-4 uncles/aunts and other adults all together in Disney and it’s weird. I get parents taking their kids to Disney but why are you bringing your adult cousins and uncles with you and why are you all wearing matching shirts?

Could you imagine taking your kids to Disney and asking your two brothers and sister to come with you? They’d laugh in my face.

Reactions: PantherSouth
SMF, I agree with your post about Disney. With that said, sone of those other parks are pretty cool. I was with my ex around 2000 and we hit up a Universal studios park. No kids. It was pretty cool

I feel like any vacation spot is what you make it out to be.

You can have a blast at a crap hole or be miserable in the most of exotic places in the world.

Hate to sound like a country song but give me a spot at the beach, time off work, kids splashing in the water with a cooler next to me and well I will make due and enjoy myself.
Couldn’t agree more. I’ve spent vacation weeks in places like Kentucky (Mammoth Cave/Louisville area) and the UP of Michigan and had a blast.
That being said, the one place I’ve been to multiple times and really dislike is Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge. Too crowded and too redneck for me. I’d love to take a week on the NC side of the Smoky Mountains though.

Reactions: ekocinski
But that's part of the problem ... A five or six year old can have ton of fun at Idlewild or Waldameer or some other small-ish type of amusement park. I don't need to make the trek to the middle of Florida for them to have a blast on some rides and shaking hands with people in anthropomorphic costumes.

Do other parts of the country not have smaller scale amusement parks like Western PA does?

Couldn’t agree more. I’ve spent vacation weeks in places like Kentucky (Mammoth Cave/Louisville area) and the UP of Michigan and had a blast.
That being said, the one place I’ve been to multiple times and really dislike is Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge. Too crowded and too redneck for me. I’d love to take a week on the NC side of the Smoky Mountains though.
Cherokee, NC was a major disappointment the last time I was through there. Maggie Valley was a bit better. That area is begging for an upgrade but it would probably become Gatlinburg East.

I have been to different parts of Florida maybe 20 times. Yet to find a desirable location. It's all so generic and sterile to me. Miami is just gross other than the Cuban food (which is great).

Best part of Florida is the "forgotten coast" on the gulf. East of Panama City to where the beaches end before the coast bends southward (around Alligator Point). Lots of great, quiet beaches and seafood. My favorite is St. George's Island with trips into Apalachicola.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT