ADVERTISEMENT

$MU: HOLY CRAP

I don’t think SMU is going to be Top 3. They still have some issues that will make it hard for them to become a powerhouse.

But they don’t have that far to go to be one of the better ACC teams.

Last year F+ had them 31.

So they are entering the ACC as a pretty good team. With money coming in and a seat at a bigger table, their recruiting should improve even more.

There aren’t many teams in the ACC as well situated as them. FSU, Clemson, and Miami are definitively in a better situation to be good than them. But after that? Which teams have both the combination of access to talent and financial backing?

Reactions: 303vND
They don't have anyone like that or they wouldn't have been stuck in purgatory for forty years.
I am glad you know the makings and financials of SMU Alumni and the support they have. It never stops amazing me how much Pitt fans are engrained in other schools financials, Almuni and NIL. Bravo. Keep enlightening us on other school Alumni and how much money they have.

I am glad you know the makings and financials of SMU Alumni and the support they have. It never stops amazing me how much Pitt fans are engrained in other schools financials, Almuni and NIL. Bravo. Keep enlightening us on other school Alumni and how much money they have.
Yeah...it's pretty clear he's misinformed regarding SMU's financial situation.

Reactions: WCC946
Nobody spent anything on the program for forty years, they raised almost enough to run Texas' athletic department through February of an academic year, but yeah, look out. Don't let reasoning and logic stand in your way.

Nobody spent anything on the program for forty years, they raised almost enough to run Texas' athletic department through February of an academic year, but yeah, look out. Don't let reasoning and logic stand in your way.
Like posted above I have no idea what kind of alumni money SMU has vs. UT or A&M. But any school that can self fund and forsake 9 years of conference revenue seems pretty dang loaded.

Reactions: PITT 76
Oh your on record.. Please tell me the financials of SMU. Look stupid but please share your knowledge of Texas football...

Please share your intel with SMU? I call on BaylorScottWhite... please hook me up with your contacts

Feels like every time I turn around I hear about someone in athletics connected to SMU. The most recent ones were reading the KC Chief's Hunt Family's daughter going to SMU. The patriarch Lamar was a graduate. Then it was this past weekend watching the US Open and Bryson DeChambeau who is an alum.

I literally have no idea how much money they have vs. UT or T A&M, but apparently SMU have their own heavy hitters.

We should be so lucky.
UT and A&M have a lot of wealthy alum, but they are also very large schools.

SMU is a much smaller school, but it also counts many very wealthy among its alums. I've always considered SMU a rich kid's school. The annual cost of attendance there is around 80 grand.

UT and A&M have a lot of wealthy alum, but they are also very large schools.

SMU is a much smaller school, but it also counts many very wealthy among its alums. I've always considered SMU a rich kid's school. The annual cost of attendance there is around 80 grand.

SMU’s reputation in Texas is being rich, smug, and attractive.

My wife went to SMU. Their family is worth millions and she was relatively poor by SMU standards.

There’s a reason the writers of the tv show “Dallas” made the rich Ewing family all SMU grads.

My wife went to SMU. Their family is worth millions and she was relatively poor by SMU standards.

There’s a reason the writers of the tv show “Dallas” made the rich Ewing family all SMU grads.

SMU reminds me of like the football version of Villanova. SMU hasnt had the football success in a generation but from a location/demographics and willingness to excel at one sport standpoint.

As Filliponi would say," Congratulations on all your success!". 🤣

Seriously our very close friends live in Colleyville. Their daughter married an SMU grad. His family (Persian) fled Iran and are very, very wealthy.

Our original plans were to travel to Dallas for the game in November. But then our niece had to schedule her wedding on the same day. 😠

Seriously our very close friends live in Colleyville. Their daughter married an SMU grad. His family (Persian) fled Iran and are very, very wealthy.

Our original plans were to travel to Dallas for the game in November. But then our niece had to schedule her wedding on the same day. 😠

Dallas in November is nice too. Temperature comes down to a level fit for civilized people.

Reactions: pitt-girl
So you paid $320 per

As I said, I paid $375 per seat (all in price). The SMU person on the visitor's side would have paid $450 per seat. The SMU person on the home side (unless Pitt made a change this year, Pitt has never charged more for home side seats than they do for the equivalent visitor side seats) would have paid $750 per seat.

In other words, SMU is charging more, a lot more in fact, than Pitt is charging.

As I said, I paid $375 per seat (all in price). The SMU person on the visitor's side would have paid $450 per seat. The SMU person on the home side (unless Pitt made a change this year, Pitt has never charged more for home side seats than they do for the equivalent visitor side seats) would have paid $750 per seat.

In other words, SMU is charging more, a lot more in fact, than Pitt is charging.
So there must be different prices for different seats in 511. My numbers came from the Pitt and SMU site.

And neither side has shade.

So there must be different prices for different seats in 511. My numbers came from the Pitt and SMU site.

My numbers come from my actual bill.

And my seats are in the first row. So if someone is sitting ten rows behind me and yet are paying more than me that would make them an idiot.

I always say, there tends to be one game a year that being out in the sun is bad. And then one game a year that being out in the sun is beneficial. And the rest of the games it doesn't really make much difference.
Well, Dallas is waaaaaay sunnier and warmer, so if I'm buying season tickets to SMU games, I'm sticking with the shade.

We're actually covered in the NC and those few early games, I look at all the empty seats in the blazing sun and realize I'd probably go inside too.

Well, Dallas is waaaaaay sunnier and warmer, so if I'm buying season tickets to SMU games, I'm sticking with the shade.

I've never been there before, but if I remember correctly SMU's stadium doesn't have covered seats. I mean they do have some boxes which would be covered, but basically all of their "normal" seats are out in the sun.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Having lived in Dallas and conducted business in the city (including with many SMU alums) the heavy-hitter SMU alums are the stereotypical JR Ewing-looking, Cadillac-driving, 3-piece suit wearing, oil and big tech rich guys with money to burn. They all love football and want more than anything to be like UT, A&M and TCU. I think they will be a massive player in CFB within 5 years. Top 10. If Baylor and TCU can do it, SMU sure as hell can.
Have Baylor & TCU sustained FB strength?

I've never been there before, but if I remember correctly SMU's stadium doesn't have covered seats. I mean they do have some boxes which would be covered, but basically all of their "normal" seats are out in the sun.
But you know what seats face east or west.

Can't they send a private plane for you to do both???

Yes and without paying players. SMU can pay players.
Ummm Baylor and TCU have been paying players, just like every other big time program. Having a ton of money to throw around doesn’t equal success just look at Texas A&M, only two 10+ win seasons in the
past 25 years, with the last one being in 2012.

Going to take this all over the place because you really don't have anything to add or are you just hear to lob insults?
No its clear you know very little about SMU and the resources they have. If you did you wouldn't have made such an idiotic statement

This isn't very far from what Maryland did to get into the B1G and they were anything but loaded.
If I remember at the time, UMD athletics were completely in the red and had already cut multiple scholarship Olympic sports. In fact I think it was pretty well known the school was a financial disaster. Is this the same at SMU?

If I remember at the time, UMD athletics were completely in the red and had already cut multiple scholarship Olympic sports. In fact I think it was pretty well known the school was a financial disaster. Is this the same at SMU?
It isn't even close - great points by you.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT