ADVERTISEMENT

Murphy

I think the other thing with Murphy is that Johnson and McGowens will get more confident kicking the ball back out to him on their dribble penetration as well. There were multiple times last night where both got into the lane and the right play was to kick it back out to Murphy who was open. That will come though with some game experience playing together.

Murphy will definitely help this team with his shooting.

Murphy
“Every night I come back here around 7 to 10 o’clock,” he said after the game, “and I make anywhere from 500 to 700 shots.

“Catch and shoot, off the dribble, free throws, everything.

“In the morning I work out with (assistant) coach (Milan) Brown and then we have practice. I’m in here all day.”

Clutch situations. He is the guy that needs to be shooting FT's .
It was funny he missed 4 FTs against slippery rock and you could tell he was mystified.
He said his dad, juco coach. Trainer, found out that he missed 4 fts, and they texted him.
They said 4 in a game really, you never miss that much.
After that he said he went to the gym and shot 1000 fts.

Reactions: Tonyt66

Maybe he will shoot 90%. It's possible. However, he shot around 82% in JUCO last season on a relatively high volume taken so that is more like the % we should expect from him until, or unless, he proves otherwise. All is still good.

Maybe he will shoot 90%. It's possible. However, he shot around 82% in JUCO last season on a relatively high volume taken so that is more like the % we should expect from him until, or unless, he proves otherwise. All is still good.
Give me a Billy McCaffery like shooter. 90% from the line and a 3 point killer from outside. Not as tall or long as Billy McCaffery, but hopefully the same type of shooter.

My only criticism is that Murphy shied away from contact a few times after he got defenders to leave their feet on pumpfakes. Hopefully he sees the tape and starts to lean into that and get the foul!

I am excited for this basketball team this year. They are going to be fun to watch. Young, athletic, fast, 1, 2 & 3 guards can play. I am still concerned about the low post, but they did a decent job of getting rebounds. They were just outmatched low on defense. The dribble drive penetration is key and McGowans and Johnson need to keep getting better at finding the open man. Murphy is going to get a lot of chances as the season progresses. He is the best pure shooter they have had in recent memory, but I also think he can create plays when he doesn't have a shot. His work ethic and attitude seem to be a perfect fit. Capel outcoached Hamilton in the final minutes of the game. Dropping into zone, although not well-executed, was a brilliant move. Not a perfect game, but a great win and again fun to watch! Not as desperate as I thought for needing a big man, but hopefully they can get one with the next class or via transfer.

Reactions: artp5
I am excited for this basketball team this year. They are going to be fun to watch. Young, athletic, fast, 1, 2 & 3 guards can play. I am still concerned about the low post, but they did a decent job of getting rebounds. They were just outmatched low on defense. The dribble drive penetration is key and McGowans and Johnson need to keep getting better at finding the open man. Murphy is going to get a lot of chances as the season progresses. He is the best pure shooter they have had in recent memory, but I also think he can create plays when he doesn't have a shot. His work ethic and attitude seem to be a perfect fit. Capel outcoached Hamilton in the final minutes of the game. Dropping into zone, although not well-executed, was a brilliant move. Not a perfect game, but a great win and again fun to watch! Not as desperate as I thought for needing a big man, but hopefully they can get one with the next class or via transfer.

As you probably (or may) already know--they have two class of 2020 bigs committed: 6-8 240 4-star (below the rim but strong guy) John Hugley and 6-10 230 3-star Max Amadasun (a project with hops). Both need some development so maybe another grad transfer like Hamilton could happen next spring to fill the development time gap.

Reactions: Drew1208
Back in the 90's early 2000 when I watched the NBA I was a Bulls fan.
That's called MJS.
The Michael Jordan Syndrome.
He wanted the ball down the stretch to win the game.
Pitt needs players with that outlook.

Yeah, Murph grabbed the rebound and held the ball so he would get fouled instead of passing or trying to dribble out of traffic. Love it!

Murphy
“Every night I come back here around 7 to 10 o’clock,” he said after the game, “and I make anywhere from 500 to 700 shots.

“Catch and shoot, off the dribble, free throws, everything.

“In the morning I work out with (assistant) coach (Milan) Brown and then we have practice. I’m in here all day.”
Sounds like bb not studies is his main interest !

Reactions: artp5
A lot of students are doing other things other than studying between 7-10. At least he is doing something productive with his time.
It’s all about priorities ! His is hoops .

ps .. they all come here to play bb only a very few athletes ( bb and Fb ) care about the academics( and majors )offered other than to stay eligible .

Last edited:
It’s all about priorities ! His his hoops .

ps .. they all come here to play bb only a very few athletes ( bb and Fb ) care about the academics( and majors )offered other than to stay eligible .
then why did they get those freebie laptops?...who paid for them by the way?

I have a family member who is at a D-1 school and every athlete at that school is given an iPad that is separate from cost of attendance. Providing computers is well within the rules and paid for by the athletic department I’m sure.

The announcer said that he was at Washington state. Is this true? I thought he was going to go to there instead of us but then they had a coaching change.
In the post-game press conference, Murphy said his decision came down to Pitt, Gonzaga and Washington State so based on his comments I didn’t gather that he was ever at Wash State. He might have committed to Ernie Kent before he was fired, but I didn’t get the sense he was physically there.

In the post-game press conference, Murphy said his decision came down to Pitt, Gonzaga and Washington State so based on his comments I didn’t gather that he was ever at Wash State. He might have committed to Ernie Kent before he was fired, but I didn’t get the sense he was physically there.

Yes, I believe he committed but the coach was fired.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
I was a little surprised when Pitt took that ball out near the end of the game with a one point lead that Murphy wasn't designated as the guy to get the inbounds. Trey got it and was fouled immediately. He made one of two to up the lead to two so I was naturally expecting FSU to hit a dagger 3 at the buzzer.

It’s all about priorities ! His his hoops .

Don't lump all athletes in with the few stars. A lot of D1 athletes get their degrees and live a productive life outside of Pro Football.

It didn't look like X took too kindly to Murphy waving him off the point that one time. I got the sense there was a little bit of animosity out there on the court. I hope those guys get over that fast, and playing together as a team. McGowan not dishing it to Murphy when he was wide open in the corner and then double dribbling is inexcusable. It's going to be on Capel to get those guys working together.

Don't lump all athletes in with the few stars. A lot of D1 athletes get their degrees and live a productive life outside of Pro Football.
Well actually most do , because very few ever play pro ball . I’ll stand by what I said , most kids with high D1 offers go to schools to play ball first , there’s really nothing wrong with trying to live out your dream , but if your trying to tell me academics weight heavily in their decisions at what school to attend I’ll respectfully disagree. There’s always kids like the one Pitt was recruiting last yr who choose to go Harvard . The prudent athlete would try to get the most out of his education since that most likely will be how he supports himself and his family .

I thought about that too , was that an extra benefit ? A good college coach wants the best for his players and they know the numbers so they realize the importance of an education.

I thought about that too , was that an extra benefit ? A good college coach wants the best for his players and they know the numbers so they realize the importance of an education.

Probably an allowed benefit under the category of “tuition and books,” IMHO. But, maybe I am wrong?

Murphy is a smart basketball player who understands the value of spacing and how to attack. He gives all the effort, can make the shots and is just a great all around player. I laughed when Vascel(sp) just buried a 3pt over the top even though Murphy played perfect defense. He looked a foot shorter. There's going to be those kind of plays when the opposing talent and size is too much. But all in all he comes off as a winner tonight. Seems like a great teammate too.
Terms used while describing good white basketball players.

Tough
Fundamentally sound
Gritty
High B-ball IQ
Good all around player
Gym Rat
Leader

If he shoots 50% from three and 90% from the line in the volume of shots he'd get playing 30 minutes a game in the ACC then he'll be all American material.
Which of course, is not going to happen.

For the Panthers to be successful, he just needs to contribute in lesser but substantial ways.

For example, hit some deep shots against the Cuse zone as needed for one.

I don’t want to minimize Ryan’s wonderful game against a very solid opponent.

But games with 6/8 points should be closer to what we should expect.

It didn't look like X took too kindly to Murphy waving him off the point that one time. I got the sense there was a little bit of animosity out there on the court. I hope those guys get over that fast, and playing together as a team. McGowan not dishing it to Murphy when he was wide open in the corner and then double dribbling is inexcusable. It's going to be on Capel to get those guys working together.

That’s an interesting observation. I listened to the game and heard Hillgrove interview Murphy afterwards. He asked him about that rebound sequence that led to him shooting those free throws. Murphy said he got the rebound and thought to himself, “I’m the best free throw shooter on the team” so he held on and waited to be fouled. The confidence is great, but did make me wonder how that went over with some of his teammates.

Reactions: RoguePanther
That’s an interesting observation. I listened to the game and heard Hillgrove interview Murphy afterwards. He asked him about that rebound sequence that led to him shooting those free throws. Murphy said he got the rebound and thought to himself, “I’m the best free throw shooter on the team” so he held on and waited to be fouled. The confidence is great, but did make me wonder how that went over with some of his teammates.
I’m sure they have drills and contests to see how good your are at the line and everyone on the team knows whose the best .

Reactions: H2P-2007
Everyone seemed pumped when he made them. I was on the edge of my seat with Trey going to the line....small sample size....but Murphy and XJ need to be the ones to finish it off.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT