ADVERTISEMENT

Mustafa Amzil On campus today

Is he a banger inside. That's what we need.

No, not at all. After watching some more video, he is kind of a 3 / 4 tweener. His game and body is more 4 without the rebounding skill but he he shoots a lot more from the midrange out to 3. He's going to have some issues beating guys off the bounce with dribble penetration at the ACC level against real athletes at the 3, he just isn't explosive enough. Shooting is good enough to stretch the opposing defense out for the rest of our offense. He would be used as a 3 or 4 here.

His usage rate is very low, but when I look at him we may have issues against aggressive defenses applying pressure if we had him at the 3 with Blake at the 4. If he plays wing and depending how much time he gets there, the usage rate is going to go up and it could result in potential turnover issues. The athletes in the ACC are a different ball game. I like him much more as a backup wing only in the ACC based off the initial tape Ive looked at.

If you were comparing this players ball skills / dribble penetration skills to a player like Carlton Carrington, Carrington is far more explosive with the ball as a wing / point forward.

No, not at all. After watching some more video, he is kind of a 3 / 4 tweener. His game and body is more 4 without the rebounding skill but he he shoots a lot more from the midrange out to 3. He's going to have some issues beating guys off the bounce with dribble penetration at the ACC level against real athletes at the 3, he just isn't explosive enough. Shooting is good enough to stretch the opposing defense out for the rest of our offense. He would be used as a 3 or 4 here.

His usage rate is very low, but when I look at him we may have issues against aggressive defenses applying pressure if we had him at the 3 with Blake at the 4. If he plays wing and depending how much time he gets there, the usage rate is going to go up and it could result in potential turnover issues. The athletes in the ACC are a different ball game. I like him much more as a backup wing only in the ACC based off the initial tape Ive looked at.

If you were comparing this players ball skills / dribble penetration skills to a player like Carlton Carrington, Carrington is far more explosive with the ball as a wing / point forward.
Thanks for the breakdown. We could use a backup wing. If it keeps Fede happy and brings team chemistry, sign me up.

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
More recent highlights:

Highlights are all 3s. He made 45 3s and 58 2s. Shot 36.6% from 3 which is only 0.9% higher than Nelly Cummings. I realize guys can improve. Wake has taken B-listers and turned them into all-ACC but that's risky. Amzil seems like a guy we could have gotten last year. We only have 3 transfer spots available if everyone comes back and the 3 freshman enroll. Realistically, we'll have at least 4 but I'm not sure I'd risk one for a guy who last year would have been an ACC bench player. Need to find some A-listers.

Highlights are all 3s. He made 45 3s and 58 2s. Shot 36.6% from 3 which is only 0.9% higher than Nelly Cummings. I realize guys can improve. Wake has taken B-listers and turned them into all-ACC but that's risky. Amzil seems like a guy we could have gotten last year. We only have 3 transfer spots available if everyone comes back and the 3 freshman enroll. Realistically, we'll have at least 4 but I'm not sure I'd risk one for a guy who last year would have been an ACC bench player. Need to find some A-listers.

Mostly 3s but also shows some good body control and shot making ability inside.

I think he deserves a spot on the bench if we end up with 4 transfer spots (you’d think one would leave…maybe Santos). Then go after a big body and two guards.

I think he deserves a spot on the bench if we end up with 4 transfer spots (you’d think one would leave…maybe Santos). Then go after a big body and two guards.

Yea but would he come to school to play 15 minutes off the bench? I do think Santos leaves and Barnes decommits. Barnes's stock really dropped

Reactions: TreesHero
More recent highlights:

He still has quite the pronounced dip on his jumper. Looks a lot like the twins motion and release point at IMG. Not sure why the Dayton staff hasn't address that in 3 years. He's stiffer on his drives as well but given what Capel has found success with from 3- he's a no brainer take imo.

Yea but would he come to school to play 15 minutes off the bench? I do think Santos leaves and Barnes decommits. Barnes's stock really dropped

I guess it depends on what he wants. If he wants to play at P6 school with a good shot at making the tournament, that will probably be his role.

Replacing a non productive bench member with a guy who can give you 5-7 PPG off the bench would be a win.

I guess it depends on what he wants. If he wants to play at P6 school with a good shot at making the tournament, that will probably be his role.

Replacing a non productive bench member with a guy who can give you 5-7 PPG off the bench would be a win.

Yes it would. And character matters. If Capel is honest (and it sounds like he is, to a fault he has said), he will tell him what his role will be but we could make the NCAAT. But obviously if the kid works hard and improves, he could be a starter.

Can't have enough tall guys that shoot 3s. I look at it as unique filling. He'd be a way better Santos. He'd be a really tall Greg. He has production similar to Nike (although different players)
He shoots really well from the line.
There's a need for this type of guy.
Plus he's not necessarily in stasis. Those numbers could improve.

Reactions: pittbb80
Yes it would. And character matters. If Capel is honest (and it sounds like he is, to a fault he has said), he will tell him what his role will be but we could make the NCAAT. But obviously if the kid works hard and improves, he could be a starter.

Yeah there is the possibility. Dayton is about as close to P6 as you can get without being P6. There is a bump in competition but not as big as most other places. This isn’t like bringing in Maia from Brown.

Last edited:
Can't have enough tall guys that shoot 3s. I look at it as unique filling. He'd be a way better Santos. He'd be a really tall Greg. He has production similar to Nike (although different players)
He shoots really well from the line.
There's a need for this type of guy.
Plus he's not necessarily in stasis. Those numbers could improve.
This is my thing. SMF said he has slightly better numbers than Nelly…but he would be giving the same exact numbers that Nike gave, while being 6’9”. He actually had a few more 3’s than Nike on almost the same exact volume. Granted it was at Dayton, but there’s a place for that here. And he shot FT’s at 80%, compared to Nikes 75%. If we are serious about him, it’s for Nate’s spot right? And we could have used minutes from Nate if he was more capable of giving them.

So is a bench of Sibande/JDG/Santos better or worse than Amzil/Soph JDG/Jeffress? JDG should be improved, Jeffress hopefully brings the D, even if offense is as bad as Santos. Would Amzil be able to match Nike? If so, I think he is a take as if we can match last year we should be a tourney team again.

This is my thing. SMF said he has slightly better numbers than Nelly…but he would be giving the same exact numbers that Nike gave, while being 6’9”. He actually had a few more 3’s than Nike on almost the same exact volume. Granted it was at Dayton, but there’s a place for that here. And he shot FT’s at 80%, compared to Nikes 75%. If we are serious about him, it’s for Nate’s spot right? And we could have used minutes from Nate if he was more capable of giving them.
This dude seems a take all day long in my book.

This dude seems a take all day long in my book.
He doesnt have the quickest release but he also had some really nice turnaround jumpers and a nice left handed jump hook. IMO hed be a nice piece to share minutes with HInson and Occasionally play the three with Hinson at the four.

Reactions: Drew1208
Interesting that some of the posts from 2020 seem to say this this guy was so good that he wouldn't be in college very long, but he is coming off a good but not great year at Dayton and is now in the portal.

Thanks for the breakdown. We could use a backup wing. If it keeps Fede happy and brings team chemistry, sign me up.
I don’t know if he wants to transfer to a school where he would be a backup. I think he is looking for starter minutes and I don’t think he would get that here.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT