ADVERTISEMENT

My (crazy) ACC expansion idea…

HailToPitt725

Head Coach
May 16, 2016
Idea: The ACC should expand to 18 schools (Maryland, Notre Dame full-time, Penn State, West Virginia).

Rationale: The ACC’s exclusive rights holder is ABC/ESPN. Their biggest competition is FOX, which holds the rights to the Big Ten, making them ESPN’s (and the ACC/SEC’s) biggest competition in terms of conferences.

If ESPN wants to fully control the future of college football and collegiate athletics, it should “invest” in the ACC by re-opening the conference’s television/streaming contract and offer enough money to both pass by the Big Ten and what Notre Dame is getting through NBC and the ACC. This could entice Maryland, Notre Dame, and Penn State to join the ACC while dealing the Big Ten (and FOX) a blow. West Virginia could also be added to get to 18 schools since they have a solid following, which means something in the age of subscriptions despite not bringing a major TV market with them.

This is why I’m also thinking the SEC won’t go after any ACC schools, or vice-versa. ESPN would essentially be creating a bidding war against itself since it holds the rights to both. At the same time, this could motivate them to not allow the Big Ten to steal any ACC or SEC schools, since they’d be losing money to their biggest competitor.

Am I crazy? Tell me why this wouldn’t work…

Penn State and Maryland aren’t leaving the B10 money. Notre Dame has zero reason to join a conference. WVU would waste no time saying yes and is a natural fit for the ACC. Don’t get me wrong, seeing those four teams would be great for Pitt, but no chance on three of them.

ND will NOT give up its' FB independence. They see themselves as above everyone. Been that way for a very long time.

fits. Although I 'm sure FSU & Miami want nothing to do with UCF

Penn State and Maryland aren’t leaving the B10 money. Notre Dame has zero reason to join a conference. WVU would waste no time saying yes and is a natural fit for the ACC. Don’t get me wrong, seeing those four teams would be great for Pitt, but no chance on three of them.
Agreed, but this is based on if the ACC gets enough money from ESPN that those three would make more money by leaving. What then?

I would try to get PSU, ND, Clemson, and FSU in a room. Well, not sure I'd want to be in any room with PSU, never know what those weirdos might do but still, you know what I'm saying. Maryland would follow PSU if PSU would ever join the ACC but there's no chance of that happening.

WVU, Rutgers = no way

Reactions: USN_Panther
ND will NOT give up its' FB independence. They see themselves as above everyone. Been that way for a very long time.
That may not be sustainable for ND. Let’s say ACC expands and no longer needs ND in non-FB sports. ND could be outside looking in and can schedule along with BYU. ND is an excellent university but a small university compared to most schools excepting NW in the Big and Vandy in SEC. Neither conference is a good fit and their status as exclusive independent is fading. Conference expansion will pass them by.

Idea: The ACC should expand to 18 schools (Maryland, Notre Dame full-time, Penn State, West Virginia).

Rationale: The ACC’s exclusive rights holder is ABC/ESPN. Their biggest competition is FOX, which holds the rights to the Big Ten, making them ESPN’s (and the ACC/SEC’s) biggest competition in terms of conferences.

If ESPN wants to fully control the future of college football and collegiate athletics, it should “invest” in the ACC by re-opening the conference’s television/streaming contract and offer enough money to both pass by the Big Ten and what Notre Dame is getting through NBC and the ACC. This could entice Maryland, Notre Dame, and Penn State to join the ACC while dealing the Big Ten (and FOX) a blow. West Virginia could also be added to get to 18 schools since they have a solid following, which means something in the age of subscriptions despite not bringing a major TV market with them.

This is why I’m also thinking the SEC won’t go after any ACC schools, or vice-versa. ESPN would essentially be creating a bidding war against itself since it holds the rights to both. At the same time, this could motivate them to not allow the Big Ten to steal any ACC or SEC schools, since they’d be losing money to their biggest competitor.

Am I crazy? Tell me why this wouldn’t work…
Well for 1, if you are going to make psu and nd whole, and keep the rest of the acc on equal footing as them, espn would have to add about 500m annually to the acc contract. That would be a no go as even with psu, nd and Clemson, those ratings would still pail in comparison to the SEC.

Honestly, if it's all about football, it would be easier to move Clemson and fsu to the SEC for 120m and drastically reduce the rest of the acc.

Plus with ESPN all in on the sec, fox will ensure it will keep its most valuable teams and psu is one of them.

Thinking small gets the ACC nowhere. That's thinking small schools.
There's also thinking realistic. You can throw out the psus, etc of the world and there is no realistic shot they leave their current situation.

Acc will only add schools that will add money. Imo the only realistic option is nd. Wvu is a question mark.

Chances are the acc will look like it does now 2 or 3 years down the road.

At this point, if the ACC’s goal is to counter the SEC Evil Empire, it needs to just go national. Take the best of the Big 12 and PAC 12 and have like a 24 to 30 team Super Conference.

At this point, if the ACC’s goal is to counter the SEC Evil Empire, it needs to just go national. Take the best of the Big 12 and PAC 12 and have like a 24 to 30 team Super Conference.
You know what, these non revenue sports should not be subjected to all of this madness. It is not fair that these kids have to be bussed or flown across the country for a swim meet, a volleyball match, that no one is going to watch.

You know what, these non revenue sports should not be subjected to all of this madness. It is not fair that these kids have to be bussed or flown across the country for a swim meet, a volleyball match, that no one is going to watch.

Let them do their own thing. Form their own pods. Form unique conferences. Whatever is in their best interest.

Penn State would be stupid to turn down an opportunity to join the ACC Coastal. Put PSU and WVU in the Coastal send UNC or Miami to the Atlantic. That's enough to renegotiate the TV deal and your pitch to PSU is a far easier path to the playoff. PSU loves an easy schedule.

Reactions: JSSTartan
Eh. Texas almost left for the PAC 12 a few years ago. Texas leaving the Big 12 isn’t really surprising.
This. Texas left the SW conference. Threatened to leave the Big XII twice that we know of, and left for real a third.

No one, not even the members of the Big XII are surprised by Texas doing this. They are of OU.

Penn State would be stupid to turn down an opportunity to join the ACC Coastal. Put PSU and WVU in the Coastal send UNC or Miami to the Atlantic. That's enough to renegotiate the TV deal and your pitch to PSU is a far easier path to the playoff. PSU loves an easy schedule.
They’d be stupid to go from a conference paying out 54m to one that pays out 28m and is rumored to possibly be losing members to other conferences?

I can’t imagine a worse career decision if the president of psu made that move. That’s almost criminally negligent.

They’d be stupid to go from a conference paying out 54m to one that pays out 28m and is rumored to possibly be losing members to other conferences?

I can’t imagine a worse career decision if the president of psu made that move. That’s almost criminally negligent.
Those numbers would change

Those numbers would change
acc's numbers arent changing. btw, penn state plays a 9 game conference schedule and has auburn OOC then WVU. so the next 4 years, they'll be playing 10 P5 teams every year. we play new hampshire and directional michigan... you have a point, if they want to play a much easier schedule, the acc is the place to be..

acc's numbers arent changing. btw, penn state plays a 9 game conference schedule and has auburn OOC then WVU. so the next 4 years, they'll be playing 10 P5 teams every year. we play new hampshire and directional michigan... you have a point, if they want to play a much easier schedule, the acc is the place to be..
I also thought the purpose of that money was to get the football team to the playoffs. Also my understanding was if the ACC landed a big fish the contract would get renegotiated. If PSU just wants to churn out money with football then sure they can sit in the big 10 and get slapped around by OSU. ACC could pitch them a play-in game for a 4 team playoff and practically bank them into an expanded playoff

I also thought the purpose of that money was to get the football team to the playoffs. Also my understanding was if the ACC landed a big fish the contract would get renegotiated. If PSU just wants to churn out money with football then sure they can sit in the big 10 and get slapped around by OSU. ACC could pitch them a play-in game for a 4 team playoff and practically bank them into an expanded playoff
i dont know if espn would rip up a deal only 5 years old and give out more money because of psu, maybe. with psu, that would be a ridiculously bold move with very high risk and honestly, leaving the big ten and going to acc would probably hurt them on the recruiting side too..

hey, i'd love it as a pitt fan but i cant imagine the uproar from psu fans if this happened..

Landing PSU is never going to get the ACC in the ballpark of what the BIG can offer. It can close the gap, but it won't come close to matching it.

i dont know if espn would rip up a deal only 5 years old and give out more money because of psu, maybe. with psu, that would be a ridiculously bold move with very high risk and honestly, leaving the big ten and going to acc would probably hurt them on the recruiting side too..

hey, i'd love it as a pitt fan but i cant imagine the uproar from psu fans if this happened..
PSU has played in 1 B10 championship game in the past 10 years, they won it, and they still didn't make the playoffs. Recruiting for Clemson has been fine. The pitch to PSU is you play for a championship every year, if you win the championship you go to the playoff. If the playoff is expanded you go every year.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
IF ND and PS entered the ACC, then we’d be on equal footing with the Big 10 contract. I’m not saying they would, but the financials would increase dramatically for the ACC.

Reactions: sherepower
Oklahoma has been to the playoffs 4 times. How did they do it with less money than PSU?
honestly, if im a sooner fan, i would fear this move. going to the sec, you arent going to the playoffs nearly as easy as you did in the big 12. well, not taking into consideration the 12 team expansion of course. but even if you do take that into consideration, a hell of alot easier to get into playoffs in big 12 than sec...

Is the increased revenue going to offset the much more difficult schedule and path to the playoffs? That's what is weird about this. Oklahoma and especially Texas had their cake and were eating it too, in the big 12. they had a great set up, P5 conference, good money, texas has the longhorn network, they called the shots of the big 12, i mean it doesnt get much better than that..

Oklahoma has been to the playoffs 4 times. How did they do it with less money than PSU?

Money obviously does not always translate into wins. Texas is the prime example of this.

But money always wins the day for leadership. The sooner you figure this out, the easier it will become. I mean, look at OU moving to the SEC.

IF ND and PS entered the ACC, then we’d be on equal footing with the Big 10 contract. I’m not saying they would, but the financials would increase dramatically for the ACC.

I think the Big 10 would still hold the financial power over the ACC even i nthe above scenario. Sure, the gap would close, but there are still a lot more marketable football brands in the BIG, and support via the size of their alumni bases, etc, that the Big 10 is still a bigger brand.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT