ADVERTISEMENT

My O.C. Stadium Proposal

HailToPitt725

Head Coach
May 16, 2016
It's safe to say that everyone on here wants to see Panther football return to Oakland. The only problem is how? We've heard many ideas: relocate the Frick Fine Arts building, build on the OC lot, build where the current VA Hospital site, nestle a stadium in between the OC lot and The Pete, and tear down the Quad, among others. Some of them are impractical, others are a long shot. All of them, however, have three common complaints:
1) Not enough space to construct a Power 5 stadium
2) Getting in and out of the stadium and Oakland
3) Gameday parking

Obviously I'm not as educated on the campus and its surrounding lands like some of you, but after doing my best attempt at an architectural study, I determined that South Oakland would be the best site for a new on-campus stadium, specifically the land that is between the Boulevard of the Allies and I-376 going north/south and Bates Street and the Panther Hollow train tracks going east/west. This would involve purchasing houses, a few restaurants and businesses, and a playground.

This land would have all three of the common complaints in mind:
1) There would be large enough to construct a 50,000+ seat stadium that would look the part of a Power 5, ACC football stadium. I used Minnesota's TCF Bank Stadium as an example and it would fit perfectly into the slot, with enough room for all of the first-class amenities you could ask for and parking around the stadium, which is apart of problem #3
2) The stadium would be accessible by I-376, as you could easily build an exit ramp onto the site. Additionally, the proposed Oakland Transit Connector route would come right near the stadium and would provide another way of getting into Oakland on gamedays.
3) As stated in #1, using the TCF Bank Stadium site as an example, there would be plenty of room to construct of parking spaces around the stadium. In Minnesota, there is enough room for three parking lots around the stadium.

In addition to this, the proposed stadium would be nearby the proposed Almono Development Site which would provide a perfect place to go to before and after games and would not require any re-routing of any roads or streets. Also, since it would not take up any space in Upper Campus, the University could still use that space to construct new athletic and academic facilities, such as the OC Lot or the former Cost Field land. It could also set off a boom in the rest of Oakland, leading to the re-development of much of Central Oakland and the Oakland Square Historic District. This could all come together to create the perfect on-campus gameday experience. One of the only problems I think this would have is coming too close to the railroad tracks, but I think you could implement something like the Twins did at Target Field where you build platforms over the tracks, along both to run smoothly while not interfering with each other.

This is a very vague idea and probably has a lot more flaws than I could think of (such as having to purchase a large chunk of land and getting rid of a very big and old neighborhood), but I just wanted to throw this out there to see what you guys think of it. Hopefully this can lead to some good discussion and new ideas on how we could get football back in Oakland one day.

Hail to Pitt and beat Syracuse!

It's safe to say that everyone on here wants to see Panther football return to Oakland. The only problem is how? We've heard many ideas: relocate the Frick Fine Arts building, build on the OC lot, build where the current VA Hospital site, nestle a stadium in between the OC lot and The Pete, and tear down the Quad, among others. Some of them are impractical, others are a long shot. All of them, however, have three common complaints:
3) Gameday parking

Obviously I'm not as educated on the campus and its surrounding lands like some of you, but after doing my best attempt at an architectural study, I determined that South Oakland would be the best site for a new on-campus stadium, specifically the land that is between the Boulevard of the Allies and I-376 going north/south and Bates Street and the Panther Hollow train tracks going east/west. This would involve purchasing houses, a few restaurants and businesses, and a playground.

1) There would be large enough to construct a 50,000+ seat stadium that would look the part of a Power 5, ACC football stadium. I used Minnesota's TCF Bank Stadium as an example and it would fit perfectly into the slot, with enough room for all of the first-class amenities you could ask for and parking around the stadium, which is apart of problem #3
2) The stadium would be accessible by I-376, as you could easily build an exit ramp onto the site. Additionally, the proposed Oakland Transit Connector route would come right near the stadium and would provide another way of getting into Oakland on gamedays.
3) As stated in #1, using the TCF Bank Stadium site as an example, there would be plenty of room to construct of parking spaces around the stadium. In Minnesota, there is enough room for three parking lots around the stadium.

In addition to this, the proposed stadium would be nearby the proposed Almono Development Site which would provide a perfect place to go to before and after games and would not require any re-routing of any roads or streets. Also, since it would not take up any space in Upper Campus, the University could still use that space to construct new athletic and academic facilities, such as the OC Lot or the former Cost Field land. It could also set off a boom in the rest of Oakland, leading to the re-development of much of Central Oakland and the Oakland Square Historic District. This could all come together to create the perfect on-campus gameday experience. One of the only problems I think this would have is coming too close to the railroad tracks, but I think you could implement something like the Twins did at Target Field where you build platforms over the tracks, along both to run smoothly while not interfering with each other.

This is a very vague idea and probably has a lot more flaws than I could think of (such as having to purchase a large chunk of land and getting rid of a very big and old neighborhood), but I just wanted to throw this out there to see what you guys think of it. Hopefully this can lead to some good discussion and new ideas on how we could get football back in Oakland one day.

This is solid. I'm glad that experts are looking at things and weighing our options. However, I think there's a group of Pitt fans who are perfectly content at Heinz Field and steadfastly against an on-campus stadium. It's crazy to me. But, what do I know?

I'm an OC proponent but I'm not sure if that site is large enough. Specifically, the site slopes pretty steeply into the ravine not too far back from the Boulevard. I think it would require a good bit of fill in order to work. Not impossible but probably difficult, also because of potential neighborhood opposition. But I like the site, especially because it would brighten up what is currently a pretty dingy stretch of road.

I am not "in the know", but from previous discussions, getting the community to buy in would be more difficult then actually finding the space to put in on.

I would love to see an OCS, but wont hold my breath.

This is solid. I'm glad that experts are looking at things and weighing our options. However, I think there's a group of Pitt fans who are perfectly content at Heinz Field and steadfastly against an on-campus stadium. It's crazy to me. But, what do I know?

Pitt's fanbase is very old. 20, 30, and 40 somethings have grown up with mediocre Pitt teams but world-class Penguin and Steeler teams. The old folks just want easy in and easy out. If they could move Pitt's games to their local park, they'd go for that.

Pitt doesn't have enough young fans who are fed up with the no-atmosphere stadium we have.

As for this plan, any time you have to rely on buying up houses, its pretty much a non-starter. I dont know how many they'd have to buy but if its more than 3 or 4 (and it probably is), you face the probability that someone just wont sell for any realistic amount. UPMC tried for years to buy 1 house near Magee so they can build something on its site. For years, the owner refused to sell at what they were asking. Finally, UPMC caved and paid $650K for a house that was probably worth $50K.

The best site for me has always been on Forbes Ave, across from the Cathedral in between Carnegie Library and David Lawrence Hall. Hillman, which has become a huge inconvenience to students because it does not have enough power outlets to meet current students' demands and cannot physically add more, would be rebuilt behind the Law School on Bouquet St. Posvar would be torn down and a slimmer, possibly taller Posvar woukd be built behind the Hillman library across from Mervis Hall.

The proble with this is you'd have to buy up that little park and deal with lawsuits, covenants, protests, etc. $100 million for that land might do it.

The other 2 sites are

1. Syria Mosque site: But Pitt would have to buy that Holiday Inn Express, UPMC Professional Building and tear them down along with Alumni Hall (and that part would not go over well). Depending on size, they may also have to tear down the next block of Clapp and Langley. This classroom space would have to be replaced elsewhere.

2. Tearing down Chevron and Eberly and building on that site into the hill.

I am confident that the study that Populous is doing will show that an on-campus stadium is needed and doable. I really believe, though they wont say it, that the real purpose of Populous's study is stadium feasibility.....and given that they are a stadium building company, what do you think they are going to say?

Reactions: PantherDave724
It is as good a plan as any other I have heard. I really like it from an infrastructural standpoint. It would obviously be opposed by a lot of people in that neighborhood but it could work. Buying up the land down there would not be cheap but neither would it be too incredibly expensive.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
I, and my group, are some of the "old" fanbase. That is mid 60's. From home to being in our seats is 40 minutes, now that is convenience. If anyone could guarantee a full house for every game at an on campus stadium we would give up that convenience, we know what it took to get into old PITT stadium. But with any of the proposals I have seen, nothing will happen in my lifetime, look how long it took to build 279 because of people refusing to move.

I think the ideal spot was up behind the Petersen Sports Complex. But there was no way in heck the city was selling that entire site to Pitt.

I do think the OP's plan is one of the more realistic ones thrown about. I don't think anything gets done any closer to campus unless they find a way to shoehorn a stadium into the lots behind the PAA and Alumni Hall...which would require tearing down the hotel and physicians offices currently housed there. And I think there is already a hotel planned for the site, though I haven't heard much about it lately. I think Pitt has plans for a new CS/IS building there anyways.

3) Gameday parking

It's as solid as any plan I have heard but take this for what it's worth from people I talk to that have the City and Pitt's best interest in mind. The very smartest thing the City could do is to connect Oakland to Downtown by way of Centre Avenue. That is where the spine of the City use to look like and it could again. It absolutely would make sense for the stadium to be closer to the City side of the Sports Complex. People underestimate how many hotel rooms and meals are sold on Pitt weekends downtown and City Planners recognize this. If there was ever a way to add light rail above ground, Centre Avenue would be a huge win for the Hill District and the University would keep it busy. It would be an excuse to build the infrastructure. 45,000 seat stadium with an open end facing downtown would be pretty impressive.

I've said this is the ideal spot for years.

Pitt needs to be acquiring that land anyways. And that neighborhood isn't exactly great. It is exactly awful. If the people in city government could actually work together with the school they could construct parking lots in Schenley which would be tailgating friendly and walkable. Sell parking passes with the school and Citiparks dividing the revenue.

If you build the stadium on the site of Frazier Park and Dan Marino Field you would have one of the best views of the city aside from Mt. Washington. Therefore, any club section you build could be used year round for conferences, corporate events and wedding receptions.

If you don't think Pitt is considering options at this point then you are very short sighted.....

Reactions: cbpitt2
Have basketball play at PPPaints for a while tear down the Pete build a multi purpose 50,000 seat football, basketball plus other activities stadium on former site of Pitt stadium, similar to Syracuse but much better. Pitt already owns the property

Last edited:
If we are looking at areas adjacent to campus, I think the another solid location would be across Centre in the Hill. It probably isn't a great option considering how The Hill was decimated by another sports project (Civic Arena) but there really isn't much over there in the area bounded by Morgan/Wylie/Herron/Centre. Wandless cuts through the site but appears to have nothing on it. There would be houses to buy (some vacant) but its not nearly as dense as other areas. It isn't really an unsafe corner of The Hill...just desolate. Highly unlikely, just throwing out another potential site.

Have basketball play at PPPaints for a while tear down the Pete build a multi purpose 50,000 seat football, basketball plus other activities stadium on former site of Pitt stadium, similar to Syracuse but much better. Pitt already owns the property

Not only is this the most logical and sane response ever posted on this message board, but I will predict that when populous presents their findings,

they will report almost word-for-word this post by Cap Pitt.

I don't know why people wag on posts like this. It is interesting and informative. It will happen I believe. I just think Pitt cannot sell bigtime football consistently in the Heinz setup.

There is a solution. If Temple is figuring this out, you can damn well guess Pitt is looking at this.

Not only is this the most logical and sane response ever posted on this message board, but I will predict that when populous presents their findings,

they will report almost word-for-word this post by Cap Pitt.

Pitt isn't building a Carrier Dome. Sorry.
What they could do.....and this is a 750 million dollar project is essentially demolish the upper campus (Pete, Trees, Field House, Cost Center, OC Lot) and build a comprehensive "sports village."

The football stadium would go where the Pete currently sits. The new bball arena would would go on the Syria Mosque site. Build a massive indoor olympic sports complex on the site of the Field House and Trees which would house swimming, wrestling, volleyball, gymnastics, indoor track, and intramurals.

I like the Pete but its served its purpose. We got our money's worth. Without it, I'm sorry but there is no basketball "glory days" and no ACC. We'd be Cincinnati right now. So, I would view it as the $100 million fee to get into the ACC. So, rip it down, build it in a smaller space and put up a football stadium.

Pitt isn't building a Carrier Dome. Sorry.
What they could do.....and this is a 750 million dollar project is essentially demolish the upper campus (Pete, Trees, Field House, Cost Center, OC Lot) and build a comprehensive "sports village."

The football stadium would go where the Pete currently sits. The new bball arena would would go on the Syria Mosque site. Build a massive indoor olympic sports complex on the site of the Field House and Trees which would house swimming, wrestling, volleyball, gymnastics, indoor track, and intramurals.

I like the Pete but its served its purpose. We got our money's worth. Without it, I'm sorry but there is no basketball "glory days" and no ACC. We'd be Cincinnati right now. So, I would view it as the $100 million fee to get into the ACC. So, rip it down, build it in a smaller space and put up a football stadium.

I can't tell if its low IQ or dementia with you. Do you honestly believe the commonwealth of Pennsylvania would allow Pitt to tear down a building which was paid for BY THE STATE, had it's cost overruns nearly DOUBLE the pricetag and also has only been open 14 years?

This school would never get one more f**king dime of state funding.

Reactions: Ski11585
I can't tell if its low IQ or dementia with you. Do you honestly believe the commonwealth of Pennsylvania would allow Pitt to tear down a building which was paid for BY THE STATE, had it's cost overruns nearly DOUBLE the pricetag and also has only been open 14 years?

This school would never get one more f**king dime of state funding.

Yes they would. It would be open 20+ years before being torn down (TRS was barely 30 years old) and Pitt can cite an increase in state tax revenue from events held at the new football stadium plus the cost of NOT doing it (like some horror story of Pitt getting left behind in the next realignment). Of course the state would not like it, but that's why you have a good sales guy (Barnes hopefully).

Yes they would. It would be open 20+ years before being torn down (TRS was barely 30 years old) and Pitt can cite an increase in state tax revenue from events held at the new football stadium plus the cost of NOT doing it (like some horror story of Pitt getting left behind in the next realignment). Of course the state would not like it, but that's why you have a good sales guy (Barnes hopefully).

You realize the University of Pittsburgh is not in the business of athletics. It's in the business of education. And if you think this state is just going to be okay with pissing money away on a building that lasted a mere 20 years you're insane. Please, for the love of God, tell me you didn't graduate from this school.

3) Gameday parking

I dont think EVERYONE wants to see the Panthers in Oakland. I do think this proposal is very good and I would vote for you!

The steelers do well with attendance in Heinz, I dont think that is our issue, and I love seeing games at Heinz, the infrastructure is so far better than Pitt stadium. Of course I also had Pitt stadium when I went to Pitt and was able to go from the engineering building to the stadium easily. I would like an on-campus stadium, but I also love Heinz field. Loved the atmosphere on big games, and its key to point out, if we are going to play big time ball, the fans will come. No different than the steelers, pirates, penguins... all had dismal attendance until they won.

I think the traffic issue is overstated. ALL big events have traffic. If there is no traffic, then it isn't likely considered a big event. The fact that some people can be out of Heinz Field for a Pitt game an home in the North Hills in 15 minutes pretty much makes it a non event.

Reactions: Swervin27
You realize the University of Pittsburgh is not in the business of athletics. It's in the business of education. And if you think this state is just going to be okay with pissing money away on a building that lasted a mere 20 years you're insane. Please, for the love of God, tell me you didn't graduate from this school.

I don't think this will happen or should happen necessarily but its an idea. Pitt should consider many other locations first. However, a 45K-50K seat on-campus stadium is of paramount importance. If they cant build it anywhere else, they should consider building a new arena somewhere else and building a football stadium on the Pete site. If you honestly think the state would fund PSU (after their horrific scandal) and Temple but not Pitt because they tore down a 20 year old arena partially funded by the state to build a more important football stadium, I don't know what to tell you.

This will never happen but its one of about 5-6 Oakland sites where it could go.

I think the traffic issue is overstated. ALL big events have traffic. If there is no traffic, then it isn't likely considered a big event. The fact that some people can be out of Heinz Field for a Pitt game an home in the North Hills in 15 minutes pretty much makes it a non event.

Agree. How many people get into their cars and leave Oakland between sat 4:30 and 5 on weekday?

I say tear down Posvar and Hillman (or Mervis) and build the stadium there.

- There are no downsides (other than cost) to demoing Posvar and Hillman. These buildings have not 'aged well' and certainly do not maximize their use of space, to say the least. Frankly, they are eyesores.

- The land: we own it, it's flat, and in the heart of campus. Plenty of space to build Minnesota's TCF Bank stadium there.

- Angle the open end to face the Cathedral.

- Tailgating in Schenley Plaza and around the Cathedral (especially once the Bigelow stretch is closed for good).

- Don't have to touch David L. Lawrence and the upgrades made there.

What are the downsides?

http://s1149.photobucket.com/user/cspirk/media/stadium_zpsfo9x6ewf.jpg.html

I don't think the Pete is going anywhere, at least for several decades. Its one of the premier venues in all of college basketball (when it is packed). I think Pitt was awfully shortsided when they put it there considering an arena can fit in quite a few more places than a stadium. But it is there and there to stay.

One thing that has changed is either the opponents of bringing back at stadium to Oakland have softened their views or they are just less vocal about it on this forum. These on campus stadium threads used to be 75% posters lambasting anyone who had the nerve to mention an OC stadium. Doesn't seem to be that way anymore.

Reactions: 93Panther

Really? Is Notre Dame in the business of education? Stanford? Michigan? All have top notch facilities and continue to build and improve their on campus athletic facilities. Why should Pitt be different? Pitt is not Harvard. Athletics rightly or wrongly, are huge parts of these schools and now with the money especially in football, a huge revenue producer.

It is time we all get on board with this.

- There are no downsides (other than cost) to demoing Posvar and Hillman. These buildings have not 'aged well' and certainly do not maximize their use of space, to say the least. Frankly, they are eyesores.

- The land: we own it, it's flat, and in the heart of campus. Plenty of space to build Minnesota's TCF Bank stadium there.

- Tailgating in Schenley Plaza and around the Cathedral (especially once the Bigelow stretch is closed for good).

What are the downsides?

I really like this idea. Heck it's probably more realistic and simpler than mine. The only question I'd have is where do you put the buildings that you tore down?

I really like this idea. Heck it's probably more realistic and simpler than mine. The only question I'd have is where do you put the buildings that you tore down?

Pitt would need to go vertical...something they probably need to start doing anyways. For instance, I think they need to consider going relatively tall on the Syria Mosque building to accommodate future growth as opposed to another short, squat 5-6 story building like Sennott Square. That being said, I'm not sure if tearing down Forbes Quad makes a lot of sense today as it really isn't that old and houses quite a number of departments and large lecture halls. I had proposed the idea the other day and CrazyPaco had stated Pitt actually has plans to expand Forbes Quad.

That's what they should of done in the first place, but then they'll be complaining to tarp seats for basketball!

If that's the only question (and it's a good one), then I think it's a good solution for an OC stadium. Given it's prime location, I always thought expanding the law library (vertically) would make sense for a full scale library. As for Posvar? Harder to say, although you could probably build something that takes up 1/3 of the space for the same classroom space as Posvar. God I hate that building.

One thing that has changed is either the opponents of bringing back at stadium to Oakland have softened their views or they are just less vocal about it on this forum. These on campus stadium threads used to be 75% posters lambasting anyone who had the nerve to mention an OC stadium. Doesn't seem to be that way anymore.

Murph, I was thinking the same thing. You used to always see Crazy Paco vehemently coming on this topic and: IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN, NOT IN MY LIFETIME, NOT NOW, NOT EVER, PITT WOULD NEVER SPEND THAT MUCH MONEY FOR WHAT? A FOOTBALL STADIUM. NO WAY IN HELL IS IT HAPPENING, YADA, YADA, YADA......I think he knows something ......

Makes me think this administration is not opposed to the idea and options are definitely being considered on the hush-hush.

What are the downsides?

This is the winner!!!

All these years, I never thought you could wedge a stadium in there but you just proved you could.

So, you mean to tell me that Pitt can fit a stadium on land WE ALREADY OWN and all we have to do is rip down an ugly outdated library that needs replaced anyway because of an outlet shortage and the most useless building on campus (Posvar Hall).

Build a new library on the Syria Mosque site, build a new academic/office building on the Syia Mosque site, tear down Hillman and Posvar and get it going.

This should have happened yesterday.

Reactions: 3genpanther
Murph, I was thinking the same thing. You used to always see Crazy Paco vehemently coming on this topic and: IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN, NOT IN MY LIFETIME, NOT NOW, NOT EVER, PITT WOULD NEVER SPEND THAT MUCH MONEY FOR WHAT? A FOOTBALL STADIUM. NO WAY IN HELL IS IT HAPPENING, YADA, YADA, YADA......I think he knows something ......

Makes me think this administration is not opposed to the idea and options are definitely being considered on the hush-hush.

The difference that I see isn't that they say "it's impossible, not going to happen, ever" (I think they still do). But a lot of people have definitely stopped defending Heinz Field as a good home field venue for Pitt. We used to hear that argument and we don't.

Because I think it's obvious to anyone with eyes to see that it's not a good home field and provides no atmosphere at all. The sooner we can get out, the better.

A stadium building company is doing a year long study for "athletics infrastructure." Guess what, they aren't just looking at academic support buildings and a band facility.

The writing is on the wall, people. Gallagher hired Barnes to deliver a stadium. Everybody knows HF is not a long-term solution. We can't even get the Steelers to erase that white ornament at midfield.

RANDOM THOUGHTS

1) If Popoulous was to say the best plan of attack is to take down the Pete....why would it not be wise to build a domed stadium with additional amenities? According to SMF Einstein.....Pitt would be wise to build a stadium on the site of the Pete and a new basketball arena at the site of the Syria Mosque.....on a campus with as severe a shortage of land as perhaps any in America? An absolute non starter when one site will handle both needs.

2) The initial plan is interesting and has some merit. I could easily see mass parking across the river at the once proposed casino site with shuttle service and people movers getting people to and from the game

3) However...the Oakland Connector....which I believe is part of the Master plan of the Mon Valley Xpressway....has plans to possibly eminant domain properties above Bates Street ( I forget the street name...is it Ward Street?) which cuts into the site proposed by the OP

4) If nothing else......it is my hope that the university leaders at pitt and CMU join the city fathers in an effort to lobby for dollars for a new rail line from the "T" downtown to now come out to Oakland.

If Trump can get his infrastructure rebuild through congress.......it may be a golden opportunity to build what should have been built when the "T" first came into existence.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT