ADVERTISEMENT

My quick and succint email to Gallagher

My less than succinct email,
My name is *******, Panther Club Member #*****, and proud Pitt alumni of the School of Pharmacy in 2002.

We've continued to donate and support Pitt athletics since our graduation, including having two North Club seats for football despite living in North Carolina.

I understand, Coach Dixon left on his own accord and his absence creates a large void- both in basketball success and as a man of integrity representing Pitt athletics. Surely, we all expected some step back for the program in the near term as a result. Likewise, we are pragmatic enough fans to understand Pitt is not the type of program who is going to have top candidates lining up for the opportunity.

But, I would be remiss to not comment on my utter contempt for the hire of Kevin Stallings. In both performance and in demeanor and behavior he's in every facet a significant downgrade for Pitt basketball. I could tolerate a younger and unproven commodity, to sell hope for a higher ceiling for our success and competitiveness, but not so with a completely known and unlikeable commodity in Stallings.

We've already send in our Panther Club donations for football for this season along with renewing our football season tickets. It is with regret I must state, it will be our last contributions and financial support for athletics. Even with Coach Dixon's disappointing in the NCAA Tournament over the years, I could be proud of the high character and charitable man we was as a representative of Pitt.

We will continue and increase or donations to the School of Pharmacy in compensation, but the athletics department has lost the benefit of the doubt from us.

With Regards, and Hail to Pitt,

Reactions: Ski11585
My name is *******, Panther Club Member #*****, and proud Pitt alumni of the School of Pharmacy in 2002.

We've continued to donate and support Pitt athletics since our graduation, including having two North Club seats for football despite living in North Carolina.

I understand, Coach Dixon left on his own accord and his absence creates a large void- both in basketball success and as a man of integrity representing Pitt athletics. Surely, we all expected some step back for the program in the near term as a result. Likewise, we are pragmatic enough fans to understand Pitt is not the type of program who is going to have top candidates lining up for the opportunity.

But, I would be remiss to not comment on my utter contempt for the hire of Kevin Stallings. In both performance and in demeanor and behavior he's in every facet a significant downgrade for Pitt basketball. I could tolerate a younger and unproven commodity, to sell hope for a higher ceiling for our success and competitiveness, but not so with a completely known and unlikeable commodity in Stallings.

We've already send in our Panther Club donations for football for this season along with renewing our football season tickets. It is with regret I must state, it will be our last contributions and financial support for athletics. Even with Coach Dixon's disappointing in the NCAA Tournament over the years, I could be proud of the high character and charitable man we was as a representative of Pitt.

We will continue and increase or donations to the School of Pharmacy in compensation, but the athletics department has lost the benefit of the doubt from us.

Sent not send, other than that good email.

I wonder if they will shut down the program now.

Sent not send, other than that good email.

I wonder if they will shut down the program now.
I only expect robo-responses. I'm realistic.

And no. But, like I've said to others the past decade or so on the message boards..
don't just vote with your wallet....explain why to them as well.

i've done that. Likewise, I've sent letters in support of good decisions along with pledging more in donations to athletics when warranted.

Nothing more, nothing less. Sadly, as a 37 year old, there are less than 1,200 people ahead of my priority points ranking..despite my modest (a bit over $1k annual) support. I'm no big fish and no mover and shaker. But, I've been a consistent supporter with my wallet. That's over.

So you hurt the football program cause of a basketball hire? Brilliant

And no. But, like I've said to others the past decade or so on the message boards..

i've done that. Likewise, I've sent letters in support of good decisions along with pledging more in donations to athletics when warranted.

Nothing more, nothing less. Sadly, as a 37 year old, there are less than 1,200 people ahead of my priority points ranking..despite my modest (a bit over $1k annual) support. I'm no big fish and no mover and shaker. But, I've been a consistent supporter with my wallet. That's over.

Great.

When are you going to stop posting?

Everything you've posted before today has proven to be bull shit.

Like those would ever be read anyway.

One of these won't even register a blip. 500 a 1,000 and they will be heard. End of the day though Gallagher only mildly care and obviously SB on is interested in taking care of himself.

I have spent mid 1,000.00 for over 15 years that is done. I can't stomach this insult to supporters. This reeks of incompetence or nepotism, either way I can't take it anymore.

So you hurt the football program cause of a basketball hire? Brilliant

If the issue is a larger one with the AD, then it absolutely needs to be addressed to all Pitt sports. But of course, I don't recall people saying stuff like "don't hurt hoops" back when folks were complaining about SP and the football hires.

Dear Chancellor:

This is exactly what is meant by the term "PITTING". Meet the new boss, same as the old boss. I won't be fooled again.

And when he see's you donate nothing to the cause - it goes straight into the trash where it belongs.

I'm one of those people around the same place on the list. Don't try to pretend that it is something special to be ~1200 on the list. You wouldn't be 10K on the list where I went to school - Ohio State. Herein lies the problem... a Pitt grad playing martyr because he is 1200 on the donor list. You donate chump change. Get over yourself.

You're not a big fish? You're barely a minnow.

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
And when he see's you donate nothing to the cause - it goes straight into the trash where it belongs.

I'm one of those people around the same place on the list. Don't try to pretend that it is something special to be ~1200 on the list. You wouldn't be 10K on the list where I went to school - Ohio State. Herein lies the problem... a Pitt grad playing martyr because he is 1200 on the donor list. You donate chump change. Get over yourself.

And what a testament your post is to the cheap and apathetic fanbase Pitt does have.

Isn't that the point?

Our support is that tepid from boosters

Thanks

And what a testament your post is to the cheap and apathetic fanbase Pitt does have.

I don't know about apathetic - atleast when they
Isn't that the point?

Our support is that tepid from boosters

Thanks

It is the point. But you can't just walk away when you perceive things for not going the way you envisioned! Lord knows... I've had the Evans' contract expiration debacle... screw it... I don't want to type them all because there has been so many. But I don't necessarily think this is the END. Not by a long shot. Hang in there, man.

Reactions: CaptainMurphy

It is the point. But you can't just walk away when you perceive things to not going the way you envisioned! Lord knows... I've had the Evans' contract expiration debacle... screw it... I don't want to type them all because there has been so many. But I don't necessarily think this is the END. Not by a long shot. Hang in there, man.

I can't blame folks for pulling donations. How else are fans supposed to voice their displeasure for the AD/program/direction/whatever? I'll give Souf credit. He regularly calls out posters for bitching on the forums but to following through. At least he's actually pulling his donations.

It is the point. But you can't just walk away when you perceive things to not going the way you envisioned! Lord knows... I've had the Evans' contract expiration debacle... screw it... I don't want to type them all because there has been so many. But I don't necessarily think this is the END. Not by a long shot. Hang in there, man.
You seem like a big shot, you can cover ours.
All our donations will be to academics and the school of pharmacy. None to athletics.

Of course there is a bit okay a lot of overreaction. Maybe Stallings is our Norman Dale. But I have never, ever seen a more tone deaf hire in my life. I don't care if you are a big donor or not, or that Pitt fans on the whole are cheap and apathetic. Isn't your job as AD is to try and build on the fanbase? Isn't that why there was a lot of relief that Jamie pulled the plug on his own?

That's the point of all the angst!

You seem like a big shot, you can cover ours.
All our donations will be to academics and the school of pharmacy. None to athletics.

Wow... maybe there is something about a Pitt education that alumni can't grasp reality. I'm saying I am slightly above you in the donor rankings - and I didn't even attend Pitt! How sad is that? There are only ~1,100 Pitt graduates on the planet ahead of me?? That tells me Pitt alumni could care less about athletics and therefore the AD should go cheap. They obviously don't have the financial support to go after both basketball and football? Might as well go all-in football and let basketball go. Until the alumni increase donations - what choice do they have??

Of course there is a bit okay a lot of overreaction. Maybe Stallings is our Norman Dale. But I have never, ever seen a more tone deaf hire in my life. I don't care if you are a big donor or not, or that Pitt fans on the whole are cheap and apathetic. Isn't your job as AD is to try and build on the fanbase? Isn't that why there was a lot of relief that Jamie pulled the plug on his own?

That's the point of all the angst!
Yes but he brought back script Pitt for all athletics didn't he

They get it

Wow... maybe there is something about a Pitt education that alumni can't grasp reality. I'm saying I am slightly above you in the donor rankings - and I didn't even attend Pitt! How sad is that? There are only ~1,100 Pitt graduates on the planet ahead of me?? That tells me Pitt alumni could care less about athletics and therefore the AD should go cheap. They obviously don't have the financial support to go after both basketball and football? Might as well go all-in football and let basketball go. Until the alumni increase donations - what choice do they have??
They went cheap in football.
A first time head coach.

Reactions: Ski11585

This didn't happen because Pitt was without the money to pay a better candidate, they could obviously afford to pay Dixon about 2.5 mill. I think the donors who are considering pulling their donations should, if only for a year. It is their prerogative to show their displeasure.

Souf, very good email, BTW.

What did you use to tell posters on TOS....something along the lines of...

Goodbye Cruel World

Reactions: bobfree
Good, everyone give up their donations and we can go back to being mid 90s crap in football and basketball. Wise man once said, if you want to win, donate...sounds like some people on here don't really want to win.

If they were going cheap, then hire an up and comer or an asst. coach. Their hires are just flat out dumb. Instead of burning $ on a search firm, buyout of Stallings, and his new 6 yr. contract they could have put about $8 million or more towards other athletic programs or projects. I could find a chimpanzee that would do a better job than our AD's over the past 6 years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT