ADVERTISEMENT

My Thoughts Over the Weekend

GEORGERDOG

Prep
Sep 10, 2017
As my son and I sat watching the Michigan v Cincinnati game on ESPN3 Saturday morning, suddenly the broadcast was interrupted by an incoming call. Across the screen flashed a woman’s name and underneath that the word “Pitt.” As I took the call, she first thanked me for my many years of support of Pitt athletics and the thousands of dollars that I have contributed since the 1970’s. She asked me if I would consider upping my support of Pitt Athletics. I told her, Pitt was important to me and my family. We had many graduates (brothers, sisters, brother-in-laws, aunts, uncles, and cousins) who were also graduates of the university. Our roots with Pitt run deep.

But, I was sick of seeing Pitt Football continually be needlessly embarrassed on national TV, week after week … year after year by the utter incompetence of Pitt’s Administration: 1) completely minimizing and disregarding the importance of football in connecting alumni with the school through an “on campus” game day experience watching a team we could be proud of; 2) committing unconscionable acts that facilitated the program “dying its own death,” like moving the program off campus in a way that would be hard to reverse; 3) that, until Pitt could show me that they were committed to making championship football a priority again, it was better to put my limited charitable giving dollars to much better use rather than continuing to give Pitt’s “incompetent” administrators more “money to waste” on their misdirected and self-destructive efforts with our football legacy.

If Pitt’s leaders don’t care about Pitt’s football success, why should I?

She was very kind, and understanding. Obviously, this was not the first time she had heard this message. She also was a good salesperson, and then asked if I would consider supporting an academic department at Pitt, instead. I told her I had graduate degrees from 2 other schools. One of which was USC. I had season tickets at SC and would be watching them play Stanford that afternoon. At least at USC, they understand the underlying importance of college football to the well-being of the “Trojan Family.” Their home games have tents and activities all over the campus where alumni and their families learn how special being a graduate of their university really is.

This morning, I read the post by Butler Pitt Fan on “Debunking the Myths of Steve Pederson.” It covered well, most of my conversation with her. Regardless of whether part of that article is fact or fiction, and some parts likely both … it covered pretty accurately my feelings and experience with Pitt football over that time period.

Pitt’s academics have fallen too. Both the US News and Money Magazine’s most recent rankings of colleges document that the apparent “overall” value of a Pitt degree has dropped significantly. Pitt doesn’t even rank in the top 100 anymore in these rankings. And, something like 9 other ACC schools rank higher than Pitt in these surveys. That is a shame. One can’t argue with “feelings” – they are what they are!

I concluded my remarks by telling her that I didn’t think Pitt could maintain its current position (academically or athletically) going forward by doing more of the same. In my opinion, in life, most things either have to get better, or they get worse. They don’t stay the same!

The town of Pittsburgh itself is a great example of this - now a fraction of the size in population that it was in the 60’s and 70’s, the loss of corporate HQ’s, their manufacturing base, an “International” airport than now seems 2/3 deserted, a metamorphosis that has changed Pittsburgh into a medical, quasi hi-tech, A.I. center (i.e., self-driving cars), academic research area, where young high school graduates in the outlying areas having to leave the state because there are no jobs. UPMC becoming a “monster” medical entity in itself - gobbling up smaller health care hospitals, clinics, etc.

Where Pitt “fits” in this changing future of Pittsburgh is a question that needs serious consideration, not glib responses.

For “development purposes,” they may have to get greater penetration (share) of charitable contributions from a much smaller number of local alumni and corporations, many with employees who may have come from other countries (China, India, etc.) or have allegiances to other schools (Carnegie Mellon, MIT, Wharton, Harvard, Penn State, Ohio State, etc.). They don’t know Pitt’s history, and likely could care less about some of its traditional programs, like football. Some of the wealthier older local alumni might be leaving legacies to their families, who may live in more prosperous areas elsewhere in the country. For alumni living far away from Pittsburgh, like me, Pitt needs to provide a much better reason to continue to foolishly contribute to its failed cause in athletics, or “apparent” diminishing standing academically. They could have kept Pitt Stadium preserved as part of our heritage, rather than neglect it, and then tear it down.

Given the above, those reason(s) likely will never materialize, because Pitt doesn’t appear to even care about how it is perceived athletically, or recognize that a large part of their athletic success directly affects the school’s overall perception by the rest of the country ... and in turn my pride in the school. Even my dentist, a Northwestern grad, tongue in cheek, asked me how Pitt did in the Pinstripe Bowl earlier this year. Positive perception that comes from a long history of success in football (or BB if you are UK or Duke or Kansas) is important. Instead, Pitt’s left some alumni bereft of hope. The opposite of “love” isn’t “hate” … it’s “indifference.” I suspect many of us Pitt alumni have become “indifferent” to Pitt, and Pitt Football for one reason or another.

But that “indifference” was caused directly by Pitt. As outlined in “Debunking the Myths," Pitt did it to themselves, one step at a time, one foolish decision compounded by an even greater foolish decision, until we have reached the point we are today – a football program “permanently” exiled to being the “home visiting team” in an off campus NFL stadium, the inability to easily regain an “on campus” game day experience again, an administration that, up to now, cannot get the (rest of) the university behind and committed to returning Pitt Football to glory and keeping it there, and an athletic department that always has its “hand” out asking for support - while it kicks the alumni and fans in the hind end for not attending the games or supporting the program.

It seems more certain than ever, that Pitt has wandered into unchartered waters where “unexpected consequences” have not been properly anticipated, let alone accounted for. They have “sailed away” from the courses other large, highly respected, national universities have charted. Courses leading their schools and alumni into the future based on ensuring that they will be provided with a successful big time “on campus” college football game day experience. Instead, Pitt stood-bye as the “rudderless ship” burning fuel, consuming resources, while turning useless circles as it watched the rest of these schools sail over the horizon … and loved every minute of it. Now they find themselves “alone” on their part of the sea, with a broken compass, limited amount of fuel and resources, and stalled by the inability of their administration to correct and fund getting back on course.

The problem Pitt now seems to face is the cost and time of catching up to their main rivals. Or, if they should even try? It can get confusing, and indecision is the plague that causes many institutions to fail. As pointed out before, you either have to get better - or you get worse.

In the meantime, where college football is concerned, I am going to enjoy seeing and supporting my USC Trojans, and enjoying the terrific “on campus” gameday experience they consistently offer, just 1 hour up the road. I will still root for Pitt Football, but with the satisfaction of knowing that I have turned the corner and no longer buy the “snake oil” they have been selling us for over 32 years. There are more genuine products on the market!

Sorry you feel that way. My daughters and myself are graduates of Pitt also, and, no matter how Pitt stands presently, we support the program. One cannot change the past. I give a crap about what Steve P. or other admins have done. It is over and is what it is. I care about the present and future. I will always have hope that things get better and Pitt moves up to the next level. Alums walking away hurts the program, and it signifies quitting on something you love (or have loved). Win or lose, my family is and will be loyal to Pitt. It is not like Pitt doesn't care, they want to win like all other programs. We enjoy the game experience, no matter what, especially since we are together with family and friends. Pitt winning exhiliarates us, and losing saddens us, but we will be there next time. All fans are entitled to their opinions and loyalties, and I wish you satisfaction in your choices. But, this family is all in for Pitt. They lost to PSU, but we will be there for Ok St, and hope Pitt brings us a winner. Hopefully, our present admin raises the level. That is all we can ask.

Sorry you feel that way. My daughters and myself are graduates of Pitt also, and, no matter how Pitt stands presently, we support the program. One cannot change the past. I give a crap about what Steve P. or other admins have done. It is over and is what it is. I care about the present and future. I will always have hope that things get better and Pitt moves up to the next level. Alums walking away hurts the program, and it signifies quitting on something you love (or have loved). Win or lose, my family is and will be loyal to Pitt. It is not like Pitt doesn't care, they want to win like all other programs. We enjoy the game experience, no matter what, especially since we are together with family and friends. Pitt winning exhiliarates us, and losing saddens us, but we will be there next time. All fans are entitled to their opinions and loyalties, and I wish you satisfaction in your choices. But, this family is all in for Pitt. They lost to PSU, but we will be there for Ok St, and hope Pitt brings us a winner. Hopefully, our present admin raises the level. That is all we can ask.
I see after evaluating your letter you stated that you gave a lot of money .
People like you have a great character flaw. Not trying to be smart but who are you trying to impress. I talk to a lot of people all the time who want everyone to know that they are something special. You probably are a great person so fill comfortable in who you are . You do not be so insecure.

Reactions: TD_istheman
Glad you used all of the facts available to you to characterize the state of the University and it's impact on the surrounding community and the in depth studies of how an on campus facility would improve the lives of all around.

To bandy about a current popular tag "FAKE NEWS".

In my opinion, in life, most things either have to get better, or they get worse. They don’t stay the same!
Leave it to pitt to be the outlier to that. In the past 17 or 18 years, they have very much remained the same. A whole lot of 6-8 win seasons, mostly low key or average bowl games yearly. Not a whole lot of success beyond that and at the same it's been very rare to see them any worse than that.

I think pitt is and will continue to get better. I don't disagree with you either, that's the point. While mostly everything does get better or worse, pitt has remained in neutral for quite some time.

As my son and I sat watching the Michigan v Cincinnati game on ESPN3 Saturday morning, suddenly the broadcast was interrupted by an incoming call. Across the screen flashed a woman’s name and underneath that the word “Pitt.” As I took the call, she first thanked me for my many years of support of Pitt athletics and the thousands of dollars that I have contributed since the 1970’s. She asked me if I would consider upping my support of Pitt Athletics. I told her, Pitt was important to me and my family. We had many graduates (brothers, sisters, brother-in-laws, aunts, uncles, and cousins) who were also graduates of the university. Our roots with Pitt run deep.

But, I was sick of seeing Pitt Football continually be needlessly embarrassed on national TV, week after week … year after year by the utter incompetence of Pitt’s Administration: 1) completely minimizing and disregarding the importance of football in connecting alumni with the school through an “on campus” game day experience watching a team we could be proud of; 2) committing unconscionable acts that facilitated the program “dying its own death,” like moving the program off campus in a way that would be hard to reverse; 3) that, until Pitt could show me that they were committed to making championship football a priority again, it was better to put my limited charitable giving dollars to much better use rather than continuing to give Pitt’s “incompetent” administrators more “money to waste” on their misdirected and self-destructive efforts with our football legacy.

She was very kind, and understanding. Obviously, this was not the first time she had heard this message. She also was a good salesperson, and then asked if I would consider supporting an academic department at Pitt, instead. I told her I had graduate degrees from 2 other schools. One of which was USC. I had season tickets at SC and would be watching them play Stanford that afternoon. At least at USC, they understand the underlying importance of college football to the well-being of the “Trojan Family.” Their home games have tents and activities all over the campus where alumni and their families learn how special being a graduate of their university really is.

This morning, I read the post by Butler Pitt Fan on “Debunking the Myths of Steve Pederson.” It covered well, most of my conversation with her. Regardless of whether part of that article is fact or fiction, and some parts likely both … it covered pretty accurately my feelings and experience with Pitt football over that time period.

Pitt’s academics have fallen too. Both the US News and Money Magazine’s most recent rankings of colleges document that the apparent “overall” value of a Pitt degree has dropped significantly. Pitt doesn’t even rank in the top 100 anymore in these rankings. And, something like 9 other ACC schools rank higher than Pitt in these surveys. That is a shame. One can’t argue with “feelings” – they are what they are!

I concluded my remarks by telling her that I didn’t think Pitt could maintain its current position (academically or athletically) going forward by doing more of the same. In my opinion, in life, most things either have to get better, or they get worse. They don’t stay the same!

The town of Pittsburgh itself is a great example of this - now a fraction of the size in population that it was in the 60’s and 70’s, the loss of corporate HQ’s, their manufacturing base, an “International” airport than now seems 2/3 deserted, a metamorphosis that has changed Pittsburgh into a medical, quasi hi-tech, A.I. center (i.e., self-driving cars), academic research area, where young high school graduates in the outlying areas having to leave the state because there are no jobs. UPMC becoming a “monster” medical entity in itself - gobbling up smaller health care hospitals, clinics, etc.

Where Pitt “fits” in this changing future of Pittsburgh is a question that needs serious consideration, not glib responses.

For “development purposes,” they may have to get greater penetration (share) of charitable contributions from a much smaller number of local alumni and corporations, many with employees who may have come from other countries (China, India, etc.) or have allegiances to other schools (Carnegie Mellon, MIT, Wharton, Harvard, Penn State, Ohio State, etc.). They don’t know Pitt’s history, and likely could care less about some of its traditional programs, like football. Some of the wealthier older local alumni might be leaving legacies to their families, who may live in more prosperous areas elsewhere in the country. For alumni living far away from Pittsburgh, like me, Pitt needs to provide a much better reason to continue to foolishly contribute to its failed cause in athletics, or “apparent” diminishing standing academically. They could have kept Pitt Stadium preserved as part of our heritage, rather than neglect it, and then tear it down.

Given the above, those reason(s) likely will never materialize, because Pitt doesn’t appear to even care about how it is perceived athletically, or recognize that a large part of their athletic success directly affects the school’s overall perception by the rest of the country ... and in turn my pride in the school. Even my dentist, a Northwestern grad, tongue in cheek, asked me how Pitt did in the Pinstripe Bowl earlier this year. Positive perception that comes from a long history of success in football (or BB if you are UK or Duke or Kansas) is important. Instead, Pitt’s left some alumni bereft of hope. The opposite of “love” isn’t “hate” … it’s “indifference.” I suspect many of us Pitt alumni have become “indifferent” to Pitt, and Pitt Football for one reason or another.

But that “indifference” was caused directly by Pitt. As outlined in “Debunking the Myths," Pitt did it to themselves, one step at a time, one foolish decision compounded by an even greater foolish decision, until we have reached the point we are today – a football program “permanently” exiled to being the “home visiting team” in an off campus NFL stadium, the inability to easily regain an “on campus” game day experience again, an administration that, up to now, cannot get the (rest of) the university behind and committed to returning Pitt Football to glory and keeping it there, and an athletic department that always has its “hand” out asking for support - while it kicks the alumni and fans in the hind end for not attending the games or supporting the program.

It seems more certain than ever, that Pitt has wandered into unchartered waters where “unexpected consequences” have not been properly anticipated, let alone accounted for. They have “sailed away” from the courses other large, highly respected, national universities have charted. Courses leading their schools and alumni into the future based on ensuring that they will be provided with a successful big time “on campus” college football game day experience. Instead, Pitt stood-bye as the “rudderless ship” burning fuel, consuming resources, while turning useless circles as it watched the rest of these schools sail over the horizon … and loved every minute of it. Now they find themselves “alone” on their part of the sea, with a broken compass, limited amount of fuel and resources, and stalled by the inability of their administration to correct and fund getting back on course.

The problem Pitt now seems to face is the cost and time of catching up to their main rivals. Or, if they should even try? It can get confusing, and indecision is the plague that causes many institutions to fail. As pointed out before, you either have to get better - or you get worse.

In the meantime, where college football is concerned, I am going to enjoy seeing and supporting my USC Trojans, and enjoying the terrific “on campus” gameday experience they consistently offer, just 1 hour up the road. I will still root for Pitt Football, but with the satisfaction of knowing that I have turned the corner and no longer buy the “snake oil” they have been selling us for over 32 years. There are more genuine products on the market!
Nice first post. Hope you accomplished your 2 goals of...

1. Making yourself feel better and..

2. letting the world know how great you are

You are a blowhard. How much time did you waste writing this? Hopefully, she hung up on you 30 seconds into your rant.

Last edited:
Leave it to pitt to be the outlier to that. In the past 17 or 18 years, they have very much remained the same. A whole lot of 6-8 win seasons, mostly low key or average bowl games yearly. Not a whole lot of success beyond that and at the same it's been very rare to see them any worse than that.

I think pitt is and will continue to get better. I don't disagree with you either, that's the point. While mostly everything does get better or worse, pitt has remained in neutral for quite some time.

LOL. I was going to make a post similar to this before I read this thread. But since these message boards have come into play, what has it been now, almost 20 years? And for this forum, 16-17 years? Any season, any month, you can look at the posts and the topics and only the names change. The topics are the same. Pitt is a rock. We don't move. And that is not necessarily a positive.

As for the OP, I got one comment that is supportive of his comments and one that may explain why Pitt is not like this.

A) For some reason, Pitt's Administration over time has related football, the spending of resources, the focus and publicity of football takes away from the academic side of the University. Why? I have no idea. (or maybe I do). But if great schools like Michigan, USC, Stanford even can try and succeed in football at its highest level, why can't Pitt?

B) In regards to the point above, perhaps it is incompetence or more likely an old school arrogance. But the real root maybe that Pitt would not get the same benefits (economically) as most schools from trying to win championships. All they have to do is look back at the success we had 35 years ago to see what kind of impact that it had. And maybe they have done this with Pitt sharing the city with 3 pro teams, surrounded by 2 of the largest fanbases in the country along with a rabid WVU fanbase and a strong ND influence, maybe they understand no matter what type of investment they make in football, there will always be a cap on the rewards. Maybe.

Reactions: TD_6082
You are a blowhard. How much time did you waste writing this? Hopefully, she hung up in you 30 seconds into your rant.

Why would you do this? The guy was honest and made some great points? And it is status quo, "remain calm" people like you that is 12 years, and 4 coaches later we are still talking about 7-8 win type of seasons.

LOL. I was going to make a post similar to this before I read this thread. But since these message boards have come into play, what has it been now, almost 20 years? And for this forum, 16-17 years? Any season, any month, you can look at the posts and the topics and only the names change. The topics are the same. Pitt is a rock. We don't move. And that is not necessarily a positive.

As for the OP, I got one comment that is supportive of his comments and one that may explain why Pitt is not like this.

A) For some reason, Pitt's Administration over time has related football, the spending of resources, the focus and publicity of football takes away from the academic side of the University. Why? I have no idea. (or maybe I do). But if great schools like Michigan, USC, Stanford even can try and succeed in football at its highest level, why can't Pitt?

B) In regards to the point above, perhaps it is incompetence or more likely an old school arrogance. But the real root maybe that Pitt would not get the same benefits (economically) as most schools from trying to win championships. All they have to do is look back at the success we had 35 years ago to see what kind of impact that it had. And maybe they have done this with Pitt sharing the city with 3 pro teams, surrounded by 2 of the largest fanbases in the country along with a rabid WVU fanbase and a strong ND influence, maybe they understand no matter what type of investment they make in football, there will always be a cap on the rewards. Maybe.
Both points, A and B, are valid.

Why would you do this? The guy was honest and made some great points? And it is status quo, "remain calm" people like you that is 12 years, and 4 coaches later we are still talking about 7-8 win type of seasons.
Pitt is a 7-8 win type program. If more people supported athletics, then they could build nicer facilities and pay more for coaches. Why do you think PS has a good wrestling program, and were able to build up their hockey program? It was because the alumni $pent Money. It is an Arms Race, and that requires financial backing from alums. A lot of other alums at competing schools simply want it more, and are willing to walk the walk. Pitt needs more people like Nish.

Because he's a dope. I wouldn't be surprised if he's a part of Pitt's failing Administration. People who fail don't like to be criticized.

Full disclosure, I know GEORGERDOG personally and he's been a loyal Pitt fan for 40 years. This should be a warning to competent administrator's. When you have people like him, who have the resources and have traveled to Pitt games and bowl games decide to walk away - that's a sad day.

Pitt needs to fire the entire Administration and start over.

Congratulations Nordenberg you succeeded in killing Pitt Football.

did anyone read that whole post? I started to doze off around the 'many relatives' sentence.. If so, can you just give us the cliff notes?

Cliff notes:
Pitt hasn't supported Pitt Football for over 30 years. Pitt hasn't figured out that the public doesn't support bad products - Speaks volumes about the Katz School of Business.
One longtime supporter, who loves Pitt, has had enough. Person in Pitt's failed Athletic Department still sticking to the company line: "Screw you!!! We don't need people like you anyway ( People with the financial resources to buy season tickets and travel to bowl games and away games ) !! I would've hung up on you !! PS: It's the fans fault so screw you again !! "

There you go.

Reactions: Delpanther
Cliff notes:
Pitt hasn't supported Pitt Football for over 30 years. Pitt hasn't figured out that the public doesn't support bad products - Speaks volumes about the Katz School of Business.
One longtime supporter, who loves Pitt, has had enough. Person in Pitt's failed Athletic Department still sticking to the company line: "Screw you!!! We don't need people like you anyway ( People with the financial resources to buy season tickets and travel to bowl games and away games ) !! I would've hung up on you !! PS: It's the fans fault so screw you again !! "

There you go.
When Pitt wanted to renovate Pitt Stadium in the 80's did you donate to the project?

Reactions: RHS14
Cliff notes:

There you go.
200.gif

Nice try lacky administrator. PS: Just keep repeating the Company Line: It's the fans fault! IT'S THE FANS FAULT DAMMIT !!!!
In other words - no, you were too cheap at the time and now are complaining after the fact. You are working awfully hard at becoming the biggest donk on this board.

Much of what the original poster says is SPOT ON. Pitt does a lousy job with marketing and developing affinity, and that needs to change yesterday. Penn State provides a timely and relevant contrast. State College is geographically isolated in a culturally unremarkable area far more economically depressed than Pittsburgh. The social scene consists of a few college bars and chain restaurants. Yet so many of their alumni and "friends" refer to it as an "amazing" place like a mantra. They all wear the "white out" uniform, repeat the chants, and decorate their vehicles the same way, because it has been indoctrinated in them from the day they set foot on campus. And while we can laugh and call them "Joebots," they are fiercely loyal and give money in droves.

Pitt needs to invest substantially in athletics for this one reason -- there is no more effective public and alumni relations for a large university than successful football and basketball teams. Pitt also needs to promote Pitt to students, alumni, Pittsburgh, and the business community as an exceptional collegiate experience and regional asset. I happen to believe that the setting, diversity, culture, and architecture make Pitt one of the most vibrant and engaging places that you could spend your college years, but that's almost beside the point. The message becomes the reality.

Finally, Pitt needs to build real relationships with its alumni. That doesn't mean setting up a tent and charging $25 for some beer and catered hot dogs. It doesn't mean calling to beg for money. It means having people in the university who know my name, know what's going on in my life, and who let me know that I'm important to the school. If you build the relationships, the money will take care of itself.

I haven't given up on Pitt because my years there prepared me well for a good life. But I continue to be disappointed in the distance that I and many other alumni and friends feel from Pitt, and the university will never realize its potential until that changes.

Reactions: Delpanther
Nice first post. Hope you accomplished your 2 goals of...

1. Making yourself feel better and..

2. letting the world know how great you are
Ouch! WBR, you must have gotten out of the wrong side of the bed this morning.

You raise some good points. But, I wouldn't use Money Mag and USNews value rankings as a key "academic" measure of Pitt's standing. These rankings are essentially a measure of how tuition level adjusted for how well schools are able to provide scholarships and grants to smart kids. There are a lot of outstanding schools ranked below 100 ... CMU, PSU, and even USC. Pitt's average starting salary is fine. Tuition, and particularly tuition adjusted for scholarships and grants, is where the school lags. And, some of the key measures are percentages, so Pitt is going to suffer because of its large size and the fact that it's tuition is higher than a lot of fully state supported schools. If anything, these rankings suggest that alumni should contribute more to scholarship and grant funds, so that the school has more to give out.

In other words - no, you were too cheap at the time and now are complaining after the fact. You are working awfully hard at becoming the biggest donk on this board.

Ok, I'll play Lacky Pitt Administrator:

I don't recall give to the save Pitt Stadium fund. Actually, I don't remember even being contacted. More importantly, you're telling me Pitt could come up with $250,000,000 to tear down Pitt Stadium to build a basketball arena? Is that what you're hanging your hat on? As I recall, tearing down Pitt Stadium was ram rodded through by Nerdy and Steveee. However, I had season tickets that year and had my family there for the last game. I also spent $5,000 to fly my entire family to the Fiesta Bowl where I met up with GEORGERDOG and his family. Does that count?

Do Pitt a favor: Resign.

Ok, I'll play Lacky Pitt Administrator:

I don't recall give to the save Pitt Stadium fund. Actually, I don't remember even being contacted. More importantly, you're telling me Pitt could come up with $250,000,000 to tear down Pitt Stadium to build a basketball arena? Is that what you're hanging your hat on? As I recall, tearing down Pitt Stadium was ram rodded through by Nerdy and Steveee. However, I had season tickets that year and had my family there for the last game. I also spent $5,000 to fly my entire family to the Fiesta Bowl where I met up with GEORGERDOG and his family. Does that count?

Do Pitt a favor: Resign.
The basketball arena was about 1/4 the cost you listed. Pitt got a huge donation from an alum who it is named after, and the state kicked in a lot of money because PS and Temple got basketball arenas built as well and received state funding.

PS - I do not and have never worked for the University. You are just a fool who posts a bunch of nonsense all the time. I was at the Fiesta Bowl as well, and crossed paths with the team and coaches. Big deal.

People don't want to hear the truth that Pitt doesn't really care to compete at the highest levels of college sports . ( revenue ) Somehow being a great FB or bb power diminishes your standings as an academic institution . Deluding yourself into believing that either Pitt FB or bb will be competitive in the ACC is just a waste of emotional energy at this time . Those in charge miss the point that to generate revenue and donations you must present winning programs that can compete with the best teams in the nation . There just aren't enough dieheart fans that feel the university can do no wrong . They also miss the point that both alumni and students take a great pride in their schools athletic success .

People don't want to hear the truth that Pitt doesn't really care to compete at the highest levels of college sports . ( revenue ) Somehow being a great FB or bb power diminishes your standings as an academic institution . Deluding yourself into believing that either Pitt FB or bb will be competitive in the ACC is just a waste of emotional energy at this time . Those in charge miss the point that to generate revenue and donations you must present winning programs that can compete with the best teams in the nation . There just aren't enough diehearts fans that feel the university can do no wrong . They also miss the point that both alumni and students take a great pride in their schools athletic success .
Why do you think Duke is a powerhouse in basketball and not football? PSU in wrestling, but not basketball? Alabama in football, but not basketball. MN-Duluth in hockey, but nothing else. Cal-State Fullerton in baseball, but nothing else. It is because they have alums that care about those sports and pump $ into those specific sports.

Sorry you feel that way. My daughters and myself are graduates of Pitt also, and, no matter how Pitt stands presently, we support the program. One cannot change the past. I give a crap about what Steve P. or other admins have done. It is over and is what it is. I care about the present and future. I will always have hope that things get better and Pitt moves up to the next level.

Thanks for writing that immediately after the first post.

HAIL TO PITT!! :) lol

Last edited:
It's really, really difficult to create and maintain a powerful (and Lucrative) Football program. Pitt is right there. Everyone even in the media acts like psu has gotten "To the Promised Land" now: a whole team stacked with Franklin recruits (all 85 scholarships filled -- sanctions lonnnng in the rear-view). They finished top 10 last year, are top 5 now.....WELL, Pitt doesn't play a $chitty offensive game and at the very least Pitt is right-there to win, just like psu at Pitt last year.

So, Pitt is actually not all that far away once one stops chugging out of the negativity-well.

USC like they're such a pinnacle? Some short memories, + pure living in the moment. Remember Sanctions? Remember Lane Kiffin? Remember Sarkisian, and even last year's start with Max Browne at QB when USC fans thought the sky was falling?

Pitt is right darn-there now to get over the hump.

It's not over , their mistakes live on, and new ones are continued being made , even as the last few years. You give foolishly, that's a decision everyone needs to make

It's really, really difficult to create and maintain a powerful (and Lucrative) Football program. Pitt is right there. Everyone even in the media acts like psu has gotten "To the Promised Land" now: a whole team stacked with Franklin recruits (all 85 scholarships filled -- sanctions lonnnng in the rear-view). They finished top 10 last year, are top 5 now.....WELL, Pitt doesn't play a $chitty offensive game and at the very least Pitt is right-there to win, just like psu at Pitt last year.

So, Pitt is actually not all that far away once one stops chugging out of the negativity-well.

USC like they're such a pinnacle? Some short memories, + pure living in the moment. Remember Sanctions? Remember Lane Kiffin? Remember Sarkisian, and even last year's start with Max Browne at QB when USC fans thought the sky was falling?

Pitt is right darn-there now to get over the hump.
Keep believing !

th

.....That Pitt Football will be a Playoff Team in the next five years....HAIL TO PITT!

If true and that is the case then get out of the game!

GT74: Thanks for considerate reply and your comments. I always hoped that Pitt would get better too. And really was torn for the last few years on the futility of their efforts. Narduzzi gave me some hopes, but the game against YSU following the ill prepared team in the Pinstripe, the loss of 2 offensive coordinators in his first two seasons, the choice for the new head BB coach, and the resignation of an AD after 1 year on the job ... speak for themselves. If I lived close enough to enjoy the games and be able to get to the campus anytime I want, it might be different. But all I see about Pitt is mainly their televised football and BB games, and reading on these boards the same old excuses (year after year) as to why Pitt can't compete, we can't afford it, etc. etc. -- lead to the conclusion that changing Pitt's image as a strong school is going to be "impossible" without firm and clear direction from the top. That said, I value and appreciate you and your families support of Pitt. Pitt is lucky to have you. Hopefully, they will prove my assessment wrong, but that is up to Pitt showing they deserve our support.

People like you have a great character flaw. Not trying to be smart but who are you trying to impress. I talk to a lot of people all the time who want everyone to know that they are something special. You probably are a great person so fill comfortable in who you are . You do not be so insecure.
GBG: Not trying to impress anyone, and I don't think I am something special. I took the time to write out what I hoped would be a well thought out perspective on why I can't continue to support a program that doesn't care about the same things I value. My purpose was aimed at stimulating discussion, in the hopes that other alumni might start to re-evaluate whether they are getting "the experience" what from Pitt athletics. I sense that has occurred. Many of us have given money to Pitt for a long time. Pitt needs to be accountable for how they have spent it. Why give more to a "failed" cause, with more false promises. If they feel the same, they have an opportunity to change ... same as me. If they don't care and decide to continue to send the school more money to "waste" then I respect that choice. Be my guest! Bottom line: Pitt has to start producing a product people want to support.

I had no intention of 'impressing' anybody, and I certainly don't think I'm anything special. I just stated my feelings that happened to be different than the OP. If loyalty is a character flaw, then I will take ownership, as many others I know. I donate but that has little to do with the way I feel. Insecure? I've never had anybody accuse me of that before. I know I am very secure in how I feel, and I don't intend to criticize Pitt fans who feel differently. We all have our own perspective of Pitt and it's programs, and we all are free to express that as we wish. HTP.

Last edited:

Pitt hasn't remained the same at all. With great hope for the program when Narduzzi was hired, we have experienced:
1) 2 OC's in his first two years
2) 2 AD's in his first two years
3) A defense that was almost - literally - the worst pass defense in D! ball last year
4) Paying retained recruiting fees (likely with our donations) to hire a very questionable head BB coach
5) Horrible prep for the Pinstripe Bowl and they YSU game this year
6) Lack of recruiting of better than MAC level recruits in many cases
7) Suspensions for disciplinary reasons several key players from the team, and lack of apparent fairness in discipline (e.g., how did Bookster get a 1 game suspension after DUI and wrecking a number of cars, while others get a 3 game suspension, and some kicked off the team.
8) Recruiting Max Browne to be their start QB - when Max has a proven history of not being able to lead a team?

I could go on, but Pitt has had nothing but change since Narduzzineeds to start producing a quality product that people want to buy, and support, a winner. Pitt is far from that in its two major sports.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT