ADVERTISEMENT

My Thoughts Over the Weekend

You are a blowhard. How much time did you waste writing this? Hopefully, she hung up on you 30 seconds into your rant.
Lots. But I thought carefully through it before I posted it, unlike you who "shoots from the hip!" As the Pirates of the Caribbean ride at Disney states: "The beatings will continue until morale improves."

The truth lives, and apparently from your response - "hurts."

Reactions: PittPoker
Because he's a dope. I wouldn't be surprised if he's a part of Pitt's failing Administration. People who fail don't like to be criticized.

Full disclosure, I know GEORGERDOG personally and he's been a loyal Pitt fan for 40 years. This should be a warning to competent administrator's. When you have people like him, who have the resources and have traveled to Pitt games and bowl games decide to walk away - that's a sad day.

Pitt needs to fire the entire Administration and start over.

Congratulations Nordenberg you succeeded in killing Pitt Football.

I am not that impressed with Nordenberg's replacement. See the hiring of Scott Barnes and then Kevin Stallings.

LOL. I was going to make a post similar to this before I read this thread. But since these message boards have come into play, what has it been now, almost 20 years? And for this forum, 16-17 years? Any season, any month, you can look at the posts and the topics and only the names change. The topics are the same. Pitt is a rock. We don't move. And that is not necessarily a positive.

As for the OP, I got one comment that is supportive of his comments and one that may explain why Pitt is not like this.

A) For some reason, Pitt's Administration over time has related football, the spending of resources, the focus and publicity of football takes away from the academic side of the University. Why? I have no idea. (or maybe I do). But if great schools like Michigan, USC, Stanford even can try and succeed in football at its highest level, why can't Pitt?

B) In regards to the point above, perhaps it is incompetence or more likely an old school arrogance. But the real root maybe that Pitt would not get the same benefits (economically) as most schools from trying to win championships. All they have to do is look back at the success we had 35 years ago to see what kind of impact that it had. And maybe they have done this with Pitt sharing the city with 3 pro teams, surrounded by 2 of the largest fanbases in the country along with a rabid WVU fanbase and a strong ND influence, maybe they understand no matter what type of investment they make in football, there will always be a cap on the rewards. Maybe.
Good post. I think the problem with Pitt is it's culture. Gallagher - despite his coming in with "great expectations" has run into a highly political culture at Pitt ... one that he is "scared to death" to violate. A real leader would say, we are going to spend the money we need (i.e., $300 million) to restore Pitt football to greatness and bring it back on campus. That is the direction we are heading. Get on board or we will leave you at the station." He doesn't seem to have the courage, or leadership skills, to do that.

People don't want to hear the truth that Pitt doesn't really care to compete at the highest levels of college sports . ( revenue ) Somehow being a great FB or bb power diminishes your standings as an academic institution . Deluding yourself into believing that either Pitt FB or bb will be competitive in the ACC is just a waste of emotional energy at this time . Those in charge miss the point that to generate revenue and donations you must present winning programs that can compete with the best teams in the nation . There just aren't enough dieheart fans that feel the university can do no wrong . They also miss the point that both alumni and students take a great pride in their schools athletic success .

Pitt is not unique in being in a city environment surrounded by bigger state schools. Ask Miami, GT, BC, Northwestern amongst others. Ironically 3 of those are also fellow ACC schools. And with the success of the Steelers and Penguins for the most part, the local sports fans don't really need college football.

That is what you also have to realize. Some areas College Football is the dominant sports entity. Some places it isn't. Pittsburgh is like Boston and New England on that note, people could care less. So when you win 7-8 games, that is nice, but it ain't moving the needle.

Lots. But I thought carefully through it before I posted it, unlike you who "shoots from the hip!" As the Pirates of the Caribbean ride at Disney states: "The beatings will continue until morale improves."

The truth lives, and apparently from your response - "hurts."
You should stick to Disney movies. In the real world, Narduzzi is fighting an uphill battle to land good players because the product (Pitt) is a lot tougher to sell. What advantages does Pitt have on Michigan, Ohio St, PSU, VT, and Notre Dame? Why should a 4 or 5 star player from OH, NJ, PA, MD, and VA choose us over those schools?

USC like they're such a pinnacle? Some short memories, + pure living in the moment. Remember Sanctions? Remember Lane Kiffin? Remember Sarkisian, and even last year's start with Max Browne at QB when USC fans thought the sky was falling?

Remember that USC was dumb enough to hire Paul Hackett after Pitt fired him.

Good post. I think the problem with Pitt is it's culture. Gallagher - despite his coming in with "great expectations" has run into a highly political culture at Pitt ... one that he is "scared to death" to violate. A real leader would say, we are going to spend the money we need (i.e., $300 million) to restore Pitt football to greatness and bring it back on campus. That is the direction we are heading. Get on board or we will leave you at the station." He doesn't seem to have the courage, or leadership skills, to do that.
Where do you propose this Stadium be built, and who is going to pay for it?

Unfortunately, what Pitt likely believes, why spend that kind of money to get 52-54K in the stadium? When the can go status quo and get 42-45K? Since we no longer have our own stadium, there is not as much urgency to fill it.

For some reason, Pitt's Administration over time has related football, the spending of resources, the focus and publicity of football takes away from the academic side of the University. Why? I have no idea.
I wonder this a lot myself, and I honestly don't think any reason they could give would be what I would consider a good reason. I mean let's take the worst possible academic scenario in that case, you get a bunch of really good football players who aren't good students. That is still a very small percentage of the student body. Pitt will still be a top notch academic school.

Then you look at how many schools when they became football powers saw their applications skyrocket. It's not like pitt would have to open the floodgates and let everyone who applies in. They could remain just as selective. Even donations from alumni, they come from alumni and go to wherever they want to donate. Case in point the Petersen Events Center, that did not leave Pitt desperate for money on the academic side of things.

I get that Pitt does not want to ruin their image as a fine academic institution. There are just so many more ways they can show a commitment to the football program that runs absolutely no risk of harming their academic reputation. Like you said...Michigan, Stanford, etc., always have been and always will be great academic institutions.

I could go on, but Pitt has had nothing but change since Narduzzineeds to start producing a quality product that people want to buy, and support, a winner. Pitt is far from that in its two major sports.
Yes there have been plenty of changes. But the actual football program, has never gotten over the hump while at the same time never completely fallen down the hill. Walt took over and immediately got the team to a bowl game, the following year was a massive rebuild with the team only winning two games.

Since then: 5 wins, 7 wins, 7 wins, 9 wins, 8 wins, 8 wins, 5 wins, 6 wins, 5 wins, 9 wins, 10 wins, 8 wins, 6 wins, 6 wins, 7 wins, 6 wins, 8 wins, 8 wins.

In that timespan, only once did pitt win 3 less games than the year prior and only once did they win greater than 3 games more than the season before. 1 double digit win season, 2 9 win seasons, 5 8 win seasons, 3 7 win seasons, 4 6 win seasons, and 3 5 win seasons. Never fallen more than 1 game below bowl eligibility and no more than 10 wins, which was again only done once.

The point was while I do see a lot of improvement in narduzzi's program, mainly because he is already where Walt was at the end of his tenure and just shy of where wanny was in his peak years, the program is what it is. It's been a long time since we've seen a really, really bad pitt team. It's also been a while since we've seen a true contender at Pitt.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
Did anyone actually read the entire OP? Honestly, I got to the end of the 1st paragraph and quit.

I have some advice. Cut about 90% of that tripe our and get to the point.

Note to recent or soon to be Pitt grads entering the workforce... don't ever email anyone in management a book like that and expect them to read it.

Pitt hasn't remained the same at all. With great hope for the program when Narduzzi was hired, we have experienced:
1) 2 OC's in his first two years
2) 2 AD's in his first two years
3) A defense that was almost - literally - the worst pass defense in D! ball last year
4) Paying retained recruiting fees (likely with our donations) to hire a very questionable head BB coach
5) Horrible prep for the Pinstripe Bowl and they YSU game this year
6) Lack of recruiting of better than MAC level recruits in many cases
7) Suspensions for disciplinary reasons several key players from the team, and lack of apparent fairness in discipline (e.g., how did Bookster get a 1 game suspension after DUI and wrecking a number of cars, while others get a 3 game suspension, and some kicked off the team.
8) Recruiting Max Browne to be their start QB - when Max has a proven history of not being able to lead a team?

I could go on, but Pitt has had nothing but change since Narduzzineeds to start producing a quality product that people want to buy, and support, a winner. Pitt is far from that in its two major sports.
Now most of this I agree with, especially the recruiting part and the hiring of Stallings and bringing in Max Browne.

You should stick to Disney movies. In the real world, Narduzzi is fighting an uphill battle to land good players because the product (Pitt) is a lot tougher to sell. What advantages does Pitt have on Michigan, Ohio St, PSU, VT, and Notre Dame? Why should a 4 or 5 star player from OH, NJ, PA, MD, and VA choose us over those schools?
Wow you really are pathetic aren't you.

Pitt is not unique in being in a city environment surrounded by biggerpo alumni state schools. Ask Miami, GT, BC, Northwestern amongst others. Ironically 3 of those are also fellow ACC schools. And with the success of the Steelers and Penguins for the most part, the local sports fans don't really need college football.

That is what you also have to realize. Some areas College Football is the dominant sports entity. Some places it isn't. Pittsburgh is like Boston and New England on that note, people could care less. So when you win 7-8 games, that is nice, but it ain't moving the needle.
I could never imagine Pitt supplanting or even equaling the interest the general public has in the Steelers or Penguins so let's take that thought off the table . Western Pa and Pitt are large enough that over time a winning program should be able to put 60k in Heinz Fl and fill up the Pete . Pitt needs to make the student experience special over a long enough period of time to develop a large alumni following . PSU doesn't fill Beaver Stadium up with its current students . Pitts bb and FB teams need to win and provide an experience to the students that makes it the thing to do whenever or whomever they play . It all starts with the students they do turn into your alumni .

Yes there have been plenty of changes. But the actual football program, has never gotten over the hump while at the same time never completely fallen down the hill. Walt took over and immediately got the team to a bowl game, the following year was a massive rebuild with the team only winning two games.

Since then: 5 wins, 7 wins, 7 wins, 9 wins, 8 wins, 8 wins, 5 wins, 6 wins, 5 wins, 9 wins, 10 wins, 8 wins, 6 wins, 6 wins, 7 wins, 6 wins, 8 wins, 8 wins.

In that timespan, only once did pitt win 3 less games than the year prior and only once did they win greater than 3 games more than the season before. 1 double digit win season, 2 9 win seasons, 5 8 win seasons, 3 7 win seasons, 4 6 win seasons, and 3 5 win seasons. Never fallen more than 1 game below bowl eligibility and no more than 10 wins, which was again only done once.

The point was while I do see a lot of improvement in narduzzi's program, mainly because he is already where Walt was at the end of his tenure and just shy of where wanny was in his peak years, the program is what it is. It's been a long time since we've seen a really, really bad pitt team. It's also been a while since we've seen a true contender at Pitt.

The new problem (challenge) is that we are no longer in the Big East. Right now 5 of the top 16 teams are from the ACC. And some of the programs in the Coastal, most notably our old pals Miami and VT, seem to be back on the upswing. So it is going to get tougher and tougher. Recruiting must get better.

Reactions: Pittx9
Pitt is a 7-8 win type program. If more people supported athletics, then they could build nicer facilities and pay more for coaches. Why do you think PS has a good wrestling program, and were able to build up their hockey program? It was because the alumni $pent Money. It is an Arms Race, and that requires financial backing from alums. A lot of other alums at competing schools simply want it more, and are willing to walk the walk. Pitt needs more people like Nish.

They have more alumni too, why don't we just build 8-10 satellite campuses and just get a printing press for diplomas, just to get more people to ask for money.

Pitt hasn't remained the same at all. With great hope for the program when Narduzzi was hired, we have experienced:
1) 2 OC's in his first two years
2) 2 AD's in his first two years
3) A defense that was almost - literally - the worst pass defense in D! ball last year
4) Paying retained recruiting fees (likely with our donations) to hire a very questionable head BB coach
5) Horrible prep for the Pinstripe Bowl and they YSU game this year
6) Lack of recruiting of better than MAC level recruits in many cases
7) Suspensions for disciplinary reasons several key players from the team, and lack of apparent fairness in discipline (e.g., how did Bookster get a 1 game suspension after DUI and wrecking a number of cars, while others get a 3 game suspension, and some kicked off the team.
8) Recruiting Max Browne to be their start QB - when Max has a proven history of not being able to lead a team?

Just so you understand, the meager amount of money Pitt raises for athletics goes entirely to funding scholarships for the student athletes that compete for the Panthers. So be certain, not a penny of whatever meager amount you gave historically was wasted. You are obviously entitled to give or not give your money to whatever causes you want to support....but if you are not financially supporting the athletic program at Pitt--you simply are not a fan. Hail to Pitt!

Reactions: 4Mark_Marty
Pitt shouldn't worry about competing with the Steelers, Penguins or Pirates. Pitt needs to worry about Pitt. In terms of athletics, they need to create new fans. Whether that means an on campus stadium, or whatever, they need to do it. They need to make people feel like they are part of something. That goes for athletics and academics. I don't have the answers, but Pitt at least needs to show they care about something. And also must retain the ones they have.

I knew someone on the Board at one time. They were a worthless tool that only cared about being in that "circle". She would have voted for whatever would get her in good graces for whatever she was angling for. That board needs imploded an rebuilt. Preferably we people who understand academics and athletics. But that is a pipe dream. Anyone know if you are on the board for life, or do they actually have terms?

If the BOT shared that view, and Pitt had the cash to do it--Pitt would do it. Quite simply, getting $300 million to spend on anything at Pitt would be virtually impossible. So criticizing Gallagher for failing to lead on the issue is simply a simpleton's view of the real financial world in which Pitt lives. Hail to Pitt!

Pitt shouldn't worry about competing with the Steelers, Penguins or Pirates. Pitt needs to worry about Pitt. In terms of athletics, they need to create new fans. Whether that means an on campus stadium, or whatever, they need to do it. They need to make people feel like they are part of something. That goes for athletics and academics. I don't have the answers, but Pitt at least needs to show they care about something. And also must retain the ones they have.

I knew someone on the Board at one time. They were a worthless tool that only cared about being in that "circle". She would have voted for whatever would get her in good graces for whatever she was angling for. That board needs imploded an rebuilt. Preferably we people who understand academics and athletics. But that is a pipe dream. Anyone know if you are on the board for life, or do they actually have terms?

Members of the BOT have terms that they serve, although are frequently re-appointed or take emeritus status. Since none of Pitt's BOT members are popularly elected, it would be next to impossible to significantly change the composition of the BOT. Hail to Pitt!

Where do you propose this Stadium be built, and who is going to pay for it?

Almono site. Make it part of a pitch that the city/county/state offers to Amazon to bring their second headquarters and 50,000 new employees to the city. Make the stadium a shared facility between Pitt and the Riverhounds, with the intent to eventually become a MLS franchise, with a pitch to make a public transit light rail connection between Oakland and this location. Essentially, making the tech corridor along the river, the almono development site, the hot metal bridge walkway over to the UPMC practice facility, a second campus location of sorts for Pitt and CMU.

Almono site. Make it part of a pitch that the city/county/state offers to Amazon to bring their second headquarters and 50,000 new employees to the city. Make the stadium a shared facility between Pitt and the Riverhounds, with the intent to eventually become a MLS franchise, with a pitch to make a public transit light rail connection between Oakland and this location. Essentially, making the tech corridor along the river, the almono development site, the hot metal bridge walkway over to the UPMC practice facility, a second campus location of sorts for Pitt and CMU.
Is the stadium within walking distance for students?

Is the stadium within walking distance for students?

Not really, but it would be something like a 3 minute ride if there were a road or rail line created through Panther Hollow. If there isn't enough room in Oakland proper, then this is the next best thing.

Reactions: 3genpanther
Not really, but it would be something like a 3 minute ride if there were a road or rail line created through Panther Hollow. If there isn't enough room in Oakland proper, then this is the next best thing.
We're blackmailing Jeff Bezos away from getting a new Pitt stadium AND getting public transportation from Oakland all the way to the airport. Somebody get on it!!

If the BOT shared that view, and Pitt had the cash to do it--Pitt would do it. Quite simply, getting $300 million to spend on anything at Pitt would be virtually impossible. So criticizing Gallagher for failing to lead on the issue is simply a simpleton's view of the real financial world in which Pitt lives. Hail to Pitt!

exactly. Currently we can't change the situation so might as well make the best of it. What can be done to improve it? Maybe keep pushing the county, etc to extend rail to Oakland. Make the connection to campus and Heinz more seamless. Spend money to hire top notch assistants (i.e. don't let Canada walk away). More favorable scheduling to produce more wins (i.e. only one P5 OOC and that should either be ND, PSU, or WVU. No other P5 would spike attendance or interest)

All of that would be better than building an on campus stadium and cost a lot less.

Nice first post. Hope you accomplished your 2 goals of...

1. Making yourself feel better and..

2. letting the world know how great you are
Hope I accomplished my main goal of making people with intelligence think. Pitt needs to produce a winning product that people want to buy. They should not expect conscientious people to continue to throw "good dollars" against "bad causes" which is the epitome of Pitt athletics over the last 32 years.

You obviously didn't study politi
PittLaw: "The Impossible" is what great leaders accomplish. Did you study Political Science or History before you got your law degree? Ever study what Roosevelt did get wartime production of planes, tanks, etc. to "impossible" levels? Churchill's "We will fight them on the beaches" speech after all of Western Europe fell to Hitler, Washington fighting the Revolution without the ability to pay his troops or provide them with sufficient food and shelter, Kennedy setting a goal in 1961 to land a man on the moon by 1960." All of those goals were much more difficult than Pitt's Chancellor committing to spend $300 million (or whatever amount is correct) to restore Pitt's football "on campus" experience and it's athletic heritage. Especially considering how many millions of dollars that the school has already wasted coupled with the millions of missed TV and major bowl revenue with their misguided management of our athletic programs. Great accomplishments start with great leaders. Gallagher's opportunity to step up is nearly gone. Rather than pull Pitt out of its athletic morass, he is letting them continue to struggle in it.

Hope I accomplished my main goal of making people with intelligence think. Pitt needs to produce a winning product that people want to buy. They should not expect conscientious people to continue to throw "good dollars" against "bad causes" which is the epitome of Pitt athletics over the last 32 years.

PittLaw: "The Impossible" is what great leaders accomplish. Did you study Political Science or History before you got your law degree? Ever study what Roosevelt did get wartime production of planes, tanks, etc. to "impossible" levels? Churchill's "We will fight them on the beaches" speech after all of Western Europe fell to Hitler, Washington fighting the Revolution without the ability to pay his troops or provide them with sufficient food and shelter, Kennedy setting a goal in 1961 to land a man on the moon by 1960." All of those goals were much more difficult than Pitt's Chancellor committing to spend $300 million (or whatever amount is correct) to restore Pitt's football "on campus" experience and it's athletic heritage. Especially considering how many millions of dollars that the school has already wasted coupled with the millions of missed TV and major bowl revenue with their misguided management of our athletic programs. Great accomplishments start with great leaders. Gallagher's opportunity to step up is nearly gone. Rather than pull Pitt out of its athletic morass, he is letting them continue to struggle in it.

If you have followed my posting since I joined the site, you would certainly know that I am one of the hugest critics [and was incredibly vocal here, and directly with the decision makers of the day in person] of the decision to tear down Pitt Stadium. I thought, and still do think, that a college program will not be long term successful playing in an off-campus NFL stadium [or basketball facility for that matter]. I advocated at the time, to leave the stadium standing, and to build what became the Pete on another site--so that if the decision to move back from Heinz was ever made--there would be a place to play. I simply do not believe there is the money or political capital for Pitt to build an on campus football stadium. Should someone manage to pull an incredible miracle and build one, they would be very high on my list of most beloved leaders. So in summary, I am a pragmatist and live in reality...now, the only option is to make the best of a less than ideal situation. Hail to Pitt!

Did we give up when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?...Hell no!

Reactions: HOF Coach and RHS14
....but if you are not financially supporting the athletic program at Pitt--you simply are not a fan. Hail to Pitt!

That's BS, a fan is defined thusly...

" fan, or fanatic, sometimes also termed afficionado or supporter, is a person who is enthusiastically devoted to something or somebody, such as a band, a sports team, a genre, a book, a movie or an entertainer."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fan_(person)

Donating money is not an element of fandom. I'm a fan of some sports teams or entertainers that I've never spent a penny on. Financial support is not a primary component or a requirement for "Fandom".

That's BS, a fan is defined thusly...

" fan, or fanatic, sometimes also termed afficionado or supporter, is a person who is enthusiastically devoted to something or somebody, such as a band, a sports team, a genre, a book, a movie or an entertainer."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fan_(person)

Donating money is not an element of fandom. I'm a fan of some sports teams or entertainers that I've never spent a penny on. Financial support is not a primary component or a requirement for "Fandom".

Well in my book "supporter" and "devotion" in the context of a college athletic team clearly requires financial support. Without financial supporters, college athletic teams could not, and would not exist. I know you take the subject personally since you do not financially support Pitt athletics....but that is okay, thankfully the majority of Pitt fans are not Kling-ons hosting a free ride like you. Hail to Pitt!

Reactions: 4Mark_Marty
Well in my book "supporter" and "devotion" in the context of a college athletic team clearly requires financial support. Without financial supporters, college athletic teams could not, and would not exist. I know you take the subject personally since you do not financially support Pitt athletics....but that is okay, thankfully the majority of Pitt fans are not Kling-ons hosting a free ride like you. Hail to Pitt!
Sorry , but being a fan of any sports team , professional or college doesn't require any direct financial obligation . If you wish to attend games then there's a cost that those teams charge you . If you want better seats or access to special privileges then you pay more . Anyone watching their favorite teams games on Tv or listening on radio provides those teams indirectly with additional revenues from advertisers so even those who never attend a game or donate a penny are helping to support their favorite teams .
Why would any university or college spend their own money when you can convince others that they can only compete if they have yours ?
Pitt is in no position to expect anyone to have confidence in their decision making with regards to athletic spending they need to prove that they want to win and are willing to put their money up too.
It's real easy for Pitt to prove their serious about athletics ...Win !

Sorry , but being a fan of any sports team , professional or college doesn't require any direct financial obligation . If you wish to attend games then there's a cost that those teams charge you . If you want better seats or access to special privileges then you pay more . Anyone watching their favorite teams games on Tv or listening on radio provides those teams indirectly with additional revenues from advertisers so even those who never attend a game or donate a penny are helping to support their favorite teams .
Why would any university or college spend their own money when you can convince others that they can only compete if they have yours ?
Pitt is in no position to expect anyone to have confidence in their decision making with regards to athletic spending they need to prove that they want to win and are willing to put their money up too.
It's real easy for Pitt to prove their serious about athletics ...Win !

It's okay if you want to follow the Panthers without making a financial contribution. No need to feel guilty [although you do seem pretty defensive on the subject]. But be sure, Pitt considers its fans the folks that are listed on the donor rolls for athletics. I'm guessing you are smart enough to understand that college athletics is far different than professional sports. Any successful college sports team requires SIGNIFICANT private support...ticket sales, media coverage, and conference affiliations are not enough revenue to make it work. The best teams raise the most money from private support--with nearly no exceptions. No need for you to elaborate on why you choose not to financially support the Panthers--you have been very clear on that. Hail to Pitt!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT