ADVERTISEMENT

My Thoughts Over the Weekend

As my son and I sat watching the Michigan v Cincinnati game on ESPN3 Saturday morning, suddenly the broadcast was interrupted by an incoming call. Across the screen flashed a woman’s name and underneath that the word “Pitt.” As I took the call, she first thanked me for my many years of support of Pitt athletics and the thousands of dollars that I have contributed since the 1970’s. She asked me if I would consider upping my support of Pitt Athletics. I told her, Pitt was important to me and my family. We had many graduates (brothers, sisters, brother-in-laws, aunts, uncles, and cousins) who were also graduates of the university. Our roots with Pitt run deep.

But, I was sick of seeing Pitt Football continually be needlessly embarrassed on national TV, week after week … year after year by the utter incompetence of Pitt’s Administration: 1) completely minimizing and disregarding the importance of football in connecting alumni with the school through an “on campus” game day experience watching a team we could be proud of; 2) committing unconscionable acts that facilitated the program “dying its own death,” like moving the program off campus in a way that would be hard to reverse; 3) that, until Pitt could show me that they were committed to making championship football a priority again, it was better to put my limited charitable giving dollars to much better use rather than continuing to give Pitt’s “incompetent” administrators more “money to waste” on their misdirected and self-destructive efforts with our football legacy.

If Pitt’s leaders don’t care about Pitt’s football success, why should I?

She was very kind, and understanding. Obviously, this was not the first time she had heard this message. She also was a good salesperson, and then asked if I would consider supporting an academic department at Pitt, instead. I told her I had graduate degrees from 2 other schools. One of which was USC. I had season tickets at SC and would be watching them play Stanford that afternoon. At least at USC, they understand the underlying importance of college football to the well-being of the “Trojan Family.” Their home games have tents and activities all over the campus where alumni and their families learn how special being a graduate of their university really is.

This morning, I read the post by Butler Pitt Fan on “Debunking the Myths of Steve Pederson.” It covered well, most of my conversation with her. Regardless of whether part of that article is fact or fiction, and some parts likely both … it covered pretty accurately my feelings and experience with Pitt football over that time period.

Pitt’s academics have fallen too. Both the US News and Money Magazine’s most recent rankings of colleges document that the apparent “overall” value of a Pitt degree has dropped significantly. Pitt doesn’t even rank in the top 100 anymore in these rankings. And, something like 9 other ACC schools rank higher than Pitt in these surveys. That is a shame. One can’t argue with “feelings” – they are what they are!

I concluded my remarks by telling her that I didn’t think Pitt could maintain its current position (academically or athletically) going forward by doing more of the same. In my opinion, in life, most things either have to get better, or they get worse. They don’t stay the same!

The town of Pittsburgh itself is a great example of this - now a fraction of the size in population that it was in the 60’s and 70’s, the loss of corporate HQ’s, their manufacturing base, an “International” airport than now seems 2/3 deserted, a metamorphosis that has changed Pittsburgh into a medical, quasi hi-tech, A.I. center (i.e., self-driving cars), academic research area, where young high school graduates in the outlying areas having to leave the state because there are no jobs. UPMC becoming a “monster” medical entity in itself - gobbling up smaller health care hospitals, clinics, etc.

Where Pitt “fits” in this changing future of Pittsburgh is a question that needs serious consideration, not glib responses.

For “development purposes,” they may have to get greater penetration (share) of charitable contributions from a much smaller number of local alumni and corporations, many with employees who may have come from other countries (China, India, etc.) or have allegiances to other schools (Carnegie Mellon, MIT, Wharton, Harvard, Penn State, Ohio State, etc.). They don’t know Pitt’s history, and likely could care less about some of its traditional programs, like football. Some of the wealthier older local alumni might be leaving legacies to their families, who may live in more prosperous areas elsewhere in the country. For alumni living far away from Pittsburgh, like me, Pitt needs to provide a much better reason to continue to foolishly contribute to its failed cause in athletics, or “apparent” diminishing standing academically. They could have kept Pitt Stadium preserved as part of our heritage, rather than neglect it, and then tear it down.

Given the above, those reason(s) likely will never materialize, because Pitt doesn’t appear to even care about how it is perceived athletically, or recognize that a large part of their athletic success directly affects the school’s overall perception by the rest of the country ... and in turn my pride in the school. Even my dentist, a Northwestern grad, tongue in cheek, asked me how Pitt did in the Pinstripe Bowl earlier this year. Positive perception that comes from a long history of success in football (or BB if you are UK or Duke or Kansas) is important. Instead, Pitt’s left some alumni bereft of hope. The opposite of “love” isn’t “hate” … it’s “indifference.” I suspect many of us Pitt alumni have become “indifferent” to Pitt, and Pitt Football for one reason or another.

But that “indifference” was caused directly by Pitt. As outlined in “Debunking the Myths," Pitt did it to themselves, one step at a time, one foolish decision compounded by an even greater foolish decision, until we have reached the point we are today – a football program “permanently” exiled to being the “home visiting team” in an off campus NFL stadium, the inability to easily regain an “on campus” game day experience again, an administration that, up to now, cannot get the (rest of) the university behind and committed to returning Pitt Football to glory and keeping it there, and an athletic department that always has its “hand” out asking for support - while it kicks the alumni and fans in the hind end for not attending the games or supporting the program.

It seems more certain than ever, that Pitt has wandered into unchartered waters where “unexpected consequences” have not been properly anticipated, let alone accounted for. They have “sailed away” from the courses other large, highly respected, national universities have charted. Courses leading their schools and alumni into the future based on ensuring that they will be provided with a successful big time “on campus” college football game day experience. Instead, Pitt stood-bye as the “rudderless ship” burning fuel, consuming resources, while turning useless circles as it watched the rest of these schools sail over the horizon … and loved every minute of it. Now they find themselves “alone” on their part of the sea, with a broken compass, limited amount of fuel and resources, and stalled by the inability of their administration to correct and fund getting back on course.

The problem Pitt now seems to face is the cost and time of catching up to their main rivals. Or, if they should even try? It can get confusing, and indecision is the plague that causes many institutions to fail. As pointed out before, you either have to get better - or you get worse.

In the meantime, where college football is concerned, I am going to enjoy seeing and supporting my USC Trojans, and enjoying the terrific “on campus” gameday experience they consistently offer, just 1 hour up the road. I will still root for Pitt Football, but with the satisfaction of knowing that I have turned the corner and no longer buy the “snake oil” they have been selling us for over 32 years. There are more genuine products on the market!

USC sanctions history: Football, men's basketball and women's tennis. "As a result of sanctions issued by both USC and the NCAA, the Trojan athletic program received some of the harshest penalties ever meted out to a Division 1 program."

Also, do you financially support the USC Medical School? If so, demand a refund.

It's okay if you want to follow the Panthers without making a financial contribution. No need to feel guilty [although you do seem pretty defensive on the subject]. But be sure, Pitt considers its fans the folks that are listed on the donor rolls for athletics. I'm guessing you are smart enough to understand that college athletics is far different than professional sports. Any successful college sports team requires SIGNIFICANT private support...ticket sales, media coverage, and conference affiliations are not enough revenue to make it work. The best teams raise the most money from private support--with nearly no exceptions. No need for you to elaborate on why you choose not to financially support the Panthers--you have been very clear on that. Hail to Pitt!
I've never said I do or don't , but my point is that a fan doesn't need to give anyone they're a fan of money , period .
If Pitt only considers its fans those people that give them money maybe that's one of their problems.
The very interesting part of your post is the phrase" successful college sports " if Pitt was only successful !
When they had FB on a roll they blew it up . When bb was great they couldn't maintain it and look how they tried to fix it . It's hard to be a believer in the thought that either Pitt FB or bb will ever be competive on a national level and that those in charge of Pitt athletics over the yrs are competent and deserving your financial support .

I've never said I do or don't , but my point is that a fan doesn't need to give anyone they're a fan of money , period .
If Pitt only considers its fans those people that give them money maybe that's one of their problems.
The very interesting part of your post is the phrase" successful college sports " if Pitt was only successful !
When they had FB on a roll they blew it up . When bb was great they couldn't maintain it and look how they tried to fix it . It's hard to be a believer in the thought that either Pitt FB or bb will ever be competive on a national level and that those in charge of Pitt athletics over the yrs are competent and deserving your financial support .

You did not have to say it...your posts are a dead give-a-way. No college football or basketball program in a P5 conference can be successful without significant private support. As I, and others have pointed out, the money raised at Pitt to this point is only used for scholarship support for the student athletes [since so far, Pitt cannot raise enough to pay for all permitted NCAA scholarships on an annual basis]. The kids do deserve our support. Hail to Pitt!

You did not have to say it...your posts are a dead give-a-way. No college football or basketball program in a P5 conference can be successful without significant private support. As I, and others have pointed out, the money raised at Pitt to this point is only used for scholarship support for the student athletes [since so far, Pitt cannot raise enough to pay for all permitted NCAA scholarships on an annual basis]. The kids do deserve our support. Hail to Pitt!
It's nice that people like yourself care about the men's and women's gymnastics teams , the tennis , soccer etc teams . Most of us really don't have that interest . I really enjoyed and attended men's bb for yrs and as a STH and yes that required a donation .
There's two revenue sports and until the university commits to winning at these sports they will never gather enough money in donations to fund all the other nonrevenue sports that they choose to participate in . The other sports cannot support themselves because very few fans are interested in them .

It's nice that people like yourself care about the men's and women's gymnastics teams , the tennis , soccer etc teams . Most of us really don't have that interest . I really enjoyed and attended men's bb for yrs and as a STH and yes that required a donation .
There's two revenue sports and until the university commits to winning at these sports they will never gather enough money in donations to fund all the other nonrevenue sports that they choose to participate in . The other sports cannot support themselves because very few fans are interested in them .

I don't really care about the Olympic sports per se, but I do care about the kids wearing Pitt uniforms that compete for Pitt that participate in those sports. Perhaps not going to a P5 school you don't understand Title IX or big time college athletics? Pitt cannot compete in basketball or football without those Olympic sports programs and a certain level of funding and scholarships are a part of the package. Pitt has one of the smallest offerings of athletic programs for students in the P5. Despite your view, Pitt is attempting to compete and win in athletics, they are just doing it in a responsible budgetary manner [which is additionally constrained by a very small Commonwealth appropriation and pretty small private support]. By the way, the men's gymnastics team was one of the first athletic budgetary casualties in the '80's. Hail to Pitt!

I could never imagine Pitt supplanting or even equaling the interest the general public has in the Steelers or Penguins so let's take that thought off the table . Western Pa and Pitt are large enough that over time a winning program should be able to put 60k in Heinz Fl and fill up the Pete . Pitt needs to make the student experience special over a long enough period of time to develop a large alumni following . PSU doesn't fill Beaver Stadium up with its current students . Pitts bb and FB teams need to win and provide an experience to the students that makes it the thing to do whenever or whomever they play . It all starts with the students they do turn into your alumni I rem
I could never imagine Pitt supplanting or even equaling the interest the general public has in the Steelers or Penguins so let's take that thought off the table . Western Pa and Pitt are large enough that over time a winning program should be able to put 60k in Heinz Fl and fill up the Pete . Pitt needs to make the student experience special over a long enough period of time to develop a large alumni following . PSU doesn't fill Beaver Stadium up with its current students . Pitts bb and FB teams need to win and provide an experience to the students that makes it the thing to do whenever or whomever they play . It all starts with the students they do turn into your alumni .

This is a load of shiit! Penguins before they decided to try, first to lose , then to win, drew like 3000 a game on a good night. They were ready to fold or leave , but they gave it to Mario , and he had the will to win. Stop letting Pitt brass off the hook, they are lazy and have no will!

This is a load of shiit! Penguins before they decided to try, first to lose , then to win, drew like 3000 a game on a good night. They were ready to fold or leave , but they gave it to Mario , and he had the will to win. Stop letting Pitt brass off the hook, they are lazy and have no will!
Wow do you need a reading comprehension class !

I don't really care about the Olympic sports per se, but I do care about the kids wearing Pitt uniforms that compete for Pitt that participate in those sports. Perhaps not going to a P5 school you don't understand Title IX or big time college athletics? Pitt cannot compete in basketball or football without those Olympic sports programs and a certain level of funding and scholarships are a part of the package. Pitt has one of the smallest offerings of athletic programs for students in the P5. Despite your view, Pitt is attempting to compete and win in athletics, they are just doing it in a responsible budgetary manner [which is additionally constrained by a very small Commonwealth appropriation and pretty small private support]. By the way, the men's gymnastics team was one of the first athletic budgetary casualties in the '80's. Hail to Pitt!
I only went to Pitt for two degrees and I totally understand the implications of Title IX and the effects FB has on the numbers . My point which your missing is that they will never raise the revenues that they need to fully fund and compete for their athletic department unless they step it up in FB and men's Bb . The decisions that they have made over the yrs shows that they have no intentions of competing at the national level in either sport and to expect fan support both in attendance and financially is asking a lot from a city that has many other sport options .
If Pitt wants to compete it's their turn to step it up and show students , alumni , and the people of WPa that their serious about winning . I don't think anything will ever change unless they do so because very few people will ever feel strongly over a Fb team that wins 5-8 games and a Bb team that finishes in the mid to lower half of the ACC ( we hope ) .

Pittlaw: Apparently, you really may not know what you are talking about when you say "No college football or basketball program in a P5 conference can be successful without significant private support." Most support for large colleges comes from corporations not private individuals. Here is an article from The Council on Aid to Education that gives the facts (note: I posted this last year on Scout):

http://cae.org/images/uploads/pdf/VSE-2016-Press-Release.pdf

You should notice that in addition to confirming that most aid to colleges comes from corporations, not private donors, this report shows that private donations actually dropped (see page 2 of report) on an inflation adjusted basis (e.g., almost -10% from alumni donors in 2016 from 2015).

Also, please note the names of the top 20 schools that raised the most money. Stanford is #2 and USC is #3 on the list .... NOT "surprisingly" Pitt isn't even mentioned.

Rather than criticizing other posters on this board with your "vast sum of knowledge" I suggest you get the facts first, before you make your arguments. And here's a fact for you. At last weekends USC v Stanford game, they walked out Chevron Corp. on the field before the game, with a huge oversized check, to thank Chevron for the $67 million of support it has given to USC athletics over the years. The SC Band played "Fight On" and a reasonably full LA Coliseum gave Chevron a standing ovation.

Pittlaw: Apparently, you really may not know what you are talking about when you say "No college football or basketball program in a P5 conference can be successful without significant private support." Most support for large colleges comes from corporations not private individuals. Here is an article from The Council on Aid to Education that gives the facts (note: I posted this last year on Scout):

You should notice that in addition to confirming that most aid to colleges comes from corporations, not private donors, this report shows that private donations actually dropped (see page 2 of report) on an inflation adjusted basis (e.g., almost -10% from alumni donors in 2016 from 2015).

Also, please note the names of the top 20 schools that raised the most money. Stanford is #2 and USC is #3 on the list .... NOT "surprisingly" Pitt isn't even mentioned.

Rather than criticizing other posters on this board with your "vast sum of knowledge" I suggest you get the facts first, before you make your arguments. And here's a fact for you. At last weekends USC v Stanford game, they walked out Chevron Corp. on the field before the game, with a huge oversized check, to thank Chevron for the $67 million of support it has given to USC athletics over the years. The SC Band played "Fight On" and a reasonably full LA Coliseum gave Chevron a standing ovation.
Pitt honors and salutes corporate sponsors and donors as well, but you would not know because you are not at the game.

When Pitt wanted to renovate Pitt Stadium in the 80's did you donate to the project?

Diehard: If Pitt wanted to renovate Pitt Stadium in the 80"s, why didn't they do it? It's a choice they could have made. Instead, they consciously choose to "abandon" this historic site.

They sure seem to have had money to go in with the Steelers on a new practice facility off campus, and were willing to forgoe millions on lost major bowl revenue, poor coaching hires, poor AD hires (one twice). The amount of "lost and wasted money" Pitt's Administration's choices caused would have made a considerable downpayment to a new stadium, and likely would have given them enough revenue to at least keep Pitt stadium maintained to D1 standards.

Pitt doesn't think that way -- just want us to send them more money, with no accountability on their part, so they can continue to manage football and athletics as they see fit. Enough!!!

Finally, I could be mistaken, but I do not recall any renovation campaign for Pitt Stadium in the 80's, or any other time period for that matter.

Diehard: If Pitt wanted to renovate Pitt Stadium in the 80"s, why didn't they do it? It's a choice they could have made. Instead, they consciously choose to "abandon" this historic site.

They sure seem to have had money to go in with the Steelers on a new practice facility off campus, and were willing to forgoe millions on lost major bowl revenue, poor coaching hires, poor AD hires (one twice). The amount of "lost and wasted money" Pitt's Administration's choices caused would have made a considerable downpayment to a new stadium, and likely would have given them enough revenue to at least keep Pitt stadium maintained to D1 standards.

Pitt doesn't think that way -- just want us to send them more money, with no accountability on their part, so they can continue to manage football and athletics as they see fit. Enough!!!

Finally, I could be mistaken, but I do not recall any renovation campaign for Pitt Stadium in the 80's, or any other time period for that matter.
Don't you realize that it's not Pitts fault it's their cheapskate fans and alumni who've screwed things up for as long as one can remember .

Uh, nice try. Unfortunately for you, the report you site says ZERO about athletic fundraising. Corporations and foundations very rarely support athletics with huge contributions [obviously there are a few exceptions]. But beyond that, you apparently do not understand what private support is in connection with higher education. Gifts from corporations and foundations are PRIVATE SUPPORT. Please identify one successful P5 school that thrives without private support of its athletic programs. Hint, it cannot be done. Hail to Pitt!

Reactions: 4Mark_Marty

It's not the Pitt in the 80s!!!! You're livin in the past man!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT