ADVERTISEMENT

Nard Dog & Coach Mumbles quotes on upcoming season

He is 34-7 at Wisconsin and has won the Orange, Cotton, and Holiday bowls in three years. Has beaten LSU, USC, Miami, Nebraska, Michigan...

He did an honorable job at Pitt after inheriting a mess. Ran a clean program.

I never loved the guy but I don't see the need for cheap shots.

Yeah people can get on him all they want about his presentation skills but the guy is flat out a good coach.

@
Yeah people can get on him all they want about his presentation skills but the guy is flat out a good coach.
He’s the Wisconsin AD’s little puppet.... House and his QB recruiting are his legacy at Pitt. Getting Wiscy to pay for this guy was like hitting the Lotto

ZzunhNK.jpg

He looks like he misses Pitt.

@

He’s the Wisconsin AD’s little puppet.... House and his QB recruiting are his legacy at Pitt. Getting Wiscy to pay for this guy was like hitting the Lotto

Frankly that is fair about the hiring of House/assistant coaches. Having a strong AD at Wisconsin which would prevent him from hiring someone like House certainly helps.

But I still think he is a good coach overall. I think he would have won here if he stayed long term. Not to the extent he is winning at Wiscy but he would have been fine here.

Last edited:
I agree you can say some things about Paul hiring staff wise but the majority of that staff is at Wisconsin and Paul took a Pitt job nobody wanted and built the program where it was attractive so for some of you to still criticize Paul shows your lack of knowledge on how bad the program had gotten after the Haywood fiasco.

Yeah, they must be pissed about the trajectory of the program.
Could care less what they think.... he didn’t do squat at Pitt... Mumbles isn’t the caliber of recruiter or game day coach to jump start a program. If he he didn’t have Alvarez picking his assistants he’d have a staff full of bums like House. Anytime you can get paid for ridding yourself of a guy like Mumbles you’ve made out like a bandit

Could care less what they think.... he didn’t do squat at Pitt... Mumbles isn’t the caliber of recruiter or game day coach to jump start a program. If he he didn’t have Alvarez picking his assistants he’d have a staff full of bums like House. Anytime you can get paid for ridding yourself of a guy like Mumbles you’ve made out like a bandit

How much less could you care?

Reactions: daminals76
He did a good job here. He got screwed by the refs at Notre Dame it that would have been a real nice win on his resume. He is at the perfect school for his style and personality.

But it’s going to get real competitive in the western side of the Big Loser Conference or whatever they call that mess.

Nebraska is going to come back and Purdue if it keeps its coach will be very competitive. Same with Minnesota.

Sounds like the kind of guy that can pick up and run with a middling program to finish with a couple of top 10 seasons.
He hasn't beat a good team yet.....pissed away the Big ten championship game to the Branch Campus Dummies.

It's not that difficult to win when you only play 2 or 3 competitive games a year. His UW teams have largely been carried by their defense- which he wasn't allowed to touch.

To UW's credit, they have a formula that works regardless of who the head coach happens to be.

Frankly that is fair about the hiring of House/assistant coaches. Having a strong AD at Wisconsin which would prevent him from hiring someone like House certainly helps.

But I still think he is a good coach overall. I think he would have won here if he stayed long term. Not to the extent he is winning at Wiscy but he would have been fine here.

Why would he regret his move? He’s at a school where Alvarez picks the staff and makes it easy for coaches to win with cake schedules. Hell, look what he did with Bret Bielema in 7 years.

Chryst was not that good a gameday coach, could not pick a staff (nor did he have an AD who could do it for him), had no personality to recruit and can’t talk in front of an audience. Other than that, he was great at Pitt.

He is 34-7 at Wisconsin and has won the Orange, Cotton, and Holiday bowls in three years. Has beaten LSU, USC, Miami, Nebraska, Michigan...

I don’t know that he ever could’ve taken pitt to the next level. We needed a complete culture change and that probably required someone with some more fire. He’s a great offensive mind though and he definitely built a solid foundation. No ill will towards him and he should mostly be remembered in a positive light.

Yeah, but aside from those 73 things, what’s he really done of note in Madison over the past three years?

BTW, Chryst’s quote is ridiculously bad and Narduzzi’s is rock solid. However, if it were all about one’s quotability, Herm Edwards would be a juggernaut in the NFL and Bill Belichick would be looking for work.

Even at the collegiate level, PJ Fleck is the kind of guy who could totally sell you a timeshare in Buffalo and Nick Saban perpetually looks like someone has turfed his yard.

No cheap shots. Great guy, nice guy, have nothing against him personally. I actually kind of like him. He's a really good *coach* that can do really well with a good staff & support structure around him.

He didnt have either at pitt. He recruited terribly at every level of the defense at & the best qb he signed was chad voytik. His 2013 & 2014 recruiting classes were the reason pitt was what it was last year.

So, we are going to acknowledge that he had no support structure around him at Pitt, but we’re still going to pretend that he was somehow primarily responsible?

Uh, okay.

I prefer to deal in reality. The reality is the people who refused to provide him with any sort of support structure are no longer with university and he got a promotion. And, oh by the way, by any reasonable measure he has absolutely flourished in his new job - despite the absurd attempts of some to try to minimize those achievements.

The whole thing is surreal. The debate is over: Paul Chryst is definitely NOT charismatic, but just as clearly IS a good college football coach.

Why people continue to do try to pretend otherwise is really a much more interesting debate at this point. It would make for a very good collegiate psych class about why otherwise intelligent people continue to double and triple down on their previously held wrong opinions despite mounting evidence to the contrary?

Last edited:
It's all jealousy-driven. Chryst did a good job here under the circumstances, left for his dream job, and has flourished and never looked back. For some reason, people find that personally aggravating.

Narduzzi, to this point, is not the coach that Chryst is. Any objective observer can see this. Today, at this moment, if given the choice between PC and PN, no major program is going to choose PN.

Chryst is an honorable man and a good person. And his success at Wisconsin seems to really piss some people off.

It's all jealousy-driven. Chryst did a good job here under the circumstances, left for his dream job, and has flourished and never looked back. For some reason, people find that personally aggravating.

Narduzzi, to this point, is not the coach that Chryst is. Any objective observer can see this. Today, at this moment, if given the choice between PC and PN, no major program is going to choose PN.

Chryst is an honorable man and a good person. And his success at Wisconsin seems to really piss some people off.
What a joke... we’re happy we were paid to get this milquetoast, lazy lump out of Oakland. What HC with a brain not only hires but retains House as DC? Check out the tape of the Duke game at Heinz his last year...some of the dumbest game day coaching decisions ever made. We didn’t need a puppet; we needed an actual HC.

No cheap shots. Great guy, nice guy, have nothing against him personally. I actually kind of like him. He's a really good *coach* that can do really well with a good staff & support structure around him.

He didnt have either at pitt. He recruited terribly at every level of the defense at & the best qb he signed was chad voytik. His 2013 & 2014 recruiting classes were the reason pitt was what it was last year.
This is accurate.

On the flip side though - he recruited offensive linemen well. A bit of a concern area suddenly now.

Chryst was 19-19 and had some bad losses while at Pitt. Narduzzi is 21-17.

Wisky is in a much better position to succeed. To Chryst’s credit he has taken advantage of the opportunity and done well there.

So, we are going to acknowledge that he had no support structure around him at Pitt, but we’re still going to pretend that he was somehow primarily responsible?

Uh, okay.

I prefer to deal in reality. The reality is the people who refused to provide him with any sort of support structure are no longer with university and he got a promotion. And, oh by the way, by any reasonable measure he has absolutely flourished in his new job - despite the absurd attempts of some to try to minimize those achievements.

The whole thing is surreal. The debate is over: Paul Chryst is definitely NOT charismatic, but just as clearly IS a good college football coach.

Why people continue to do try to pretend otherwise is really a much more interesting debate at this point. It would make for a very good collegiate psych class about why otherwise intelligent people continue to double and triple down on their previously held wrong opinions despite mounting evidence to the contrary?

If he found a way to sign quality offensive linemen & runningbacks, he couldve found a way to sign more than about 8 p5 defensive players in 3 years.

I said hes a really good coach. Hes excellent at wisconsin. But he wasnt trying to build a program there, hes maintaining one. Pitt was on the job training & id bet hed even say that hes a better head coach now than he was when he came to pitt. Just like Narduzzi should be a better head coach this year than he was 3 years ago. I like Chryst. Id rather he win the big 10 than anyone else & he could have a playoff team this year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT