ADVERTISEMENT

Narduzzi confirms he doesn't want to coach pro college football

Of course. Same reason people watch the World Cup but know that FIFA is corrupt and horrible while thousands died to prepare Qatar for the event.
It's true. We're all going to hell for that, where we will be forced to watch reruns of 2020 Pirates' games for eternity.

Reactions: HailtoPitt
It was silly to put an illegitimate team like Michigan in the playoffs especially after playing the schedule they played.

Well Michigan shouldn’t be in I will agree on that part of your post David. I don’t get the argument on this board about scheduling. Their non conference games were a joke but league games are what they are. Is the playoffs to only be SEC teams? How many games do they play against tough teams in non conference? The top teams play 1 only because they play an 8 game schedule. The B12 plays garbage in non conference, ACC hast to play tougher non conference because the league is average. In 2024 with the additions to the B1G and SEC people will complain why they have over half the teams in the playoffs. While the other conferences are just glad they can get the conference champs in

It was silly to put an illegitimate team like Michigan in the playoffs especially after playing the schedule they played.
That's why the game is interesting to me. I'd like to see what happens to Michigan when they play a real team and they don't have the signs.

I am not okay with Pitt dropping down to FCS or a lower level. For one thing, I want to see their games on TV-- something that lower levels don't see a lot.

Secondly, the new playoff system is going to change things drastically (in a good way, I believe.) Winning the ACC will be a direct pathway to the playoffs, with or without FL ST.

Then , the onus is on ACC and B12 teams to beat SEC and B10 teams in the playoffs. When that happens, the dialogue will shift.

In the end, everything will be just fine.

I am not okay with Pitt dropping down to FCS or a lower level. For one thing, I want to see their games on TV-- something that lower levels don't see a lot.

Secondly, the new playoff system is going to change things drastically (in a good way, I believe.) Winning the ACC will be a direct pathway to the playoffs, with or without FL ST.

Then , the onus is on ACC and B12 teams to beat SEC and B10 teams in the playoffs. When that happens, the dialogue will shift.

In the end, everything will be just fine.

It's about the money. Yes, every 25 years Pitt will get into the 12 team playoff. But will that system even be around for that long? Or will the SEC and BIG have completely gone out on her own by then?

Maybe, just maybe you should read the article slowly so that you understand it. Your comments are a fraud. The article clearly sdemonstraters that you have totally twisted it to your own agenda.
I guess SMF would be happy if Narduzzi said something like," I'm starting to get a little bored with the Xs and Os stuff, I'm looking forward to the exciting new idea of negotiating compensation packages with 18 year olds".

Not a good look. He has to realize the sport has changed. Its a pro sport. He is coaching pros. So he either needs to adapt or go coach in the MAC or FCS.
The only organization which is less effective than the NCAA is the United nations.

Reactions: RaleighPittFan
I watched the thrilling OT game between Montana and South Dakota yesterday. Honestly, I enjoyed the game. I assume I’ll enjoy the games this weekend. Just take it for what it is.
Kansas UNLV game last night was surprisingly entertaining. had it on as background with some out of town family over, ended up with the whole room getting into it to the very end.

Sure, but I wouldn't be against my workers earning a salary.
The "workers" are earning a salary, its called a FREE college education that is probably worth over $250,000.00 at the end of that four year period. Then, if they do what is expected of them while they are in school, they take that FREE education and degree and go out into the world and get a job.

• Haha
Reactions: jtownknowitall
The "workers" are earning a salary, its called a FREE college education that is probably worth over $250,000.00 at the end of that four year period. Then, if they do what is expected of them while they are in school, they take that FREE education and degree and go out into the world and get a job.

Oh boy.

I wonder if now that these athletes have to file a 1099 to cover their tax, if the cost of education, room and board, books can all be taxed as well?

Not a good look. He has to realize the sport has changed. Its a pro sport. He is coaching pros. So he either needs to adapt or go coach in the MAC or FCS.
Just as I thought .

I will watch the NC game but no other game. Outside of Pitt I have little interest in college football!
The playoffs and championship games are the games I never watch, it's always teams that I hate who often just get in after losing because of eye tests, I might watch the FCS playoffs though.

Just the reality of it, my friend. There are tens of thousands of other college students in every state who are not on a scholarship. Those young man and women attend their colleges, most are full time students and then go to their part time jobs after school each day. Most of them have more on their plates then the average D-I scholarship athlete does and don't complain about it or receive special privileges in help getting done what is expected of them. Look at the student athletes at the military academies to see if it can be done. They can do it there with way more commitment and responsibility expected from them then the average D-I scholarship athlete and they volunteered to do it. Please stop with the players need paid stuff.

• Haha
Can’t blame him a bit for this stance. I’d imagine it’s shared by around 98.9% of his fellow college HCs.

You are correct but

1. You cant say this publicly
2. Everyone hates it including his fellow head coaches but it is what it is. Its a pro sport and there's no going back. He has 85 free agents every year. You need to adjust. The college football head coach has now also become a GM because they have to help with contracts and player retention. Mike Tomlin doesn't have anything to do with how much his players are making and who stays and who goes. Narduzzi has everything to do with that. He needs to know how much guys are making, what they are being offered, how much to pay to retain players, etc. Its a completely different job

It's about the money. Yes, every 25 years Pitt will get into the 12 team playoff. But will that system even be around for that long? Or will the SEC and BIG have completely gone out on her own by then?
If they go off on their own, I'm sure there will be a playoff for the rest of us. As for once every 25 years, I believe Pitt could qualify more than that. We would have been in just a couple years ago.

Most of them have more on their plates then the average D-I scholarship athlete does
They do not. I've done both.
Look at the student athletes at the military academies to see if it can be done. They can do it there with way more commitment and responsibility expected from them then the average D-I scholarship athlete and they volunteered to do it. Please stop with the players need paid stuff.
The academy kids are paid too. They're essentially federal employees and every year at the academy counts towards rank and retirement.

Just the reality of it, my friend. There are tens of thousands of other college students in every state who are not on a scholarship. Those young man and women attend their colleges, most are full time students and then go to their part time jobs after school each day. Most of them have more on their plates then the average D-I scholarship athlete does and don't complain about it or receive special privileges in help getting done what is expected of them. Look at the student athletes at the military academies to see if it can be done. They can do it there with way more commitment and responsibility expected from them then the average D-I scholarship athlete and they volunteered to do it. Please stop with the players need paid stuff.
Most of them have more on their plates then the average D-I scholarship athlete does

That’s not even close to true. Add up practice, film study, weight training, position group meetings, mandatory study table and the rest of it, D1 football is essentially having a full time, 40-plus hour/week job. During the season there’s also the travel schedule for games. The other D1 sports are similar. It’s a far heavier load than the average college student carries.

That’s not even close to true. Add up practice, film study, weight training, position group meetings, mandatory study table and the rest of it, D1 football is essentially having a full time, 40-plus hour/week job. During the season there’s also the travel schedule for games. The other D1 sports are similar. It’s a far heavier load than the average college student carries.
100% agree.

It's why you see a ton of coaches raise an eyebrow when a kid says he's interested in engineering or something like that during the recruitment process. They know 90% of the athletes won't be able to hack the academics and athletic time commitments to make that major work.

They do not. I've done both.

The academy kids are paid too. They're essentially federal employees and every year at the academy counts towards rank and retirement.
Back in the 80's the fact that the service academies could pay the athlete was part of their recruiting pitch. People don't realize the time commitment both in season and out. There is a sacrifice these athletes make to play a sport. Some pay for it for the rest of their lives because they listened to people who told them to walk it off or play through it. Then 20 years later they have to deal with the results of doing so. There's a dark side to college athletics that people don't understand unless they've experienced it.

Reactions: steelcurtain55.
Back in the 80's the fact that the service academies could pay the athlete was part of their recruiting pitch. People don't realize the time commitment both in season and out. There is a sacrifice these athletes make to play a sport. Some pay for it for the rest of their lives because they listened to people who told them to walk it off or play through it. Then 20 years later they have to deal with the results of doing so. There's a dark side to college athletics that people don't understand unless they've experienced it.
It wasn't much money, trust me. Didn't go very far.
Man, I wish I could make you understand how wrong you are about why that scholarship isn't worth the time you put into it versus what the school makes off of your ass. Your average student isn't up at 4:30 AM in February doing conditioning before class. They don't have to head back over to the facility after classes for more workouts. They don't have to try to manage all the joys of travel while writing papers and prepping for tests. Average student gets their summer off to spend time at home and hang out with friends. Athletes get a few weeks and go right back to it because they need the summer classes and of course, workouts. Need to study for a test but there's film to study first. Those students also don't live with the mangled fingers and those injuries that never healed that you got while entertaining them on Saturday and then catch them bitching about you when they don't think you can hear them because you didn't cover the spread or they had a cousin talk crap on them because you lost.

See, when you play a D1 sport, the sport is your first priority and they make that very clear. Doesn't matter where you're at. Sure, they do things to help you as an athlete but you're part of one of their bigger revenue streams. Even minor sports require that kind of commitment. You don't make the football money for the school but those sports are still very important to the school. You trade a lot for that degree. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't trade it for anything but it would have been nice to make what some of these "minor" NIL deals are worth.

Reactions: USN_Panther
It wasn't much money, trust me. Didn't go very far.

Man, I wish I could make you understand how wrong you are about why that scholarship isn't worth the time you put into it versus what the school makes off of your ass. Your average student isn't up at 4:30 AM in February doing conditioning before class. They don't have to head back over to the facility after classes for more workouts. They don't have to try to manage all the joys of travel while writing papers and prepping for tests. Average student gets their summer off to spend time at home and hang out with friends. Athletes get a few weeks and go right back to it because they need the summer classes and of course, workouts. Need to study for a test but there's film to study first. Those students also don't live with the mangled fingers and those injuries that never healed that you got while entertaining them on Saturday and then catch them bitching about you when they don't think you can hear them because you didn't cover the spread or they had a cousin talk crap on them because you lost.

See, when you play a D1 sport, the sport is your first priority and they make that very clear. Doesn't matter where you're at. Sure, they do things to help you as an athlete but you're part of one of their bigger revenue streams. Even minor sports require that kind of commitment. You don't make the football money for the school but those sports are still very important to the school. You trade a lot for that degree. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't trade it for anything but it would have been nice to make what some of these "minor" NIL deals are worth.
It is simpler for big time football, they generate 100+ million per year in revenue and the 85 scholarships cost the athletic department 3-5 million dollars per year.

It is simpler for big time football, they generate 100+ million per year in revenue and the 85 scholarships cost the athletic department 3-5 million dollars per year.
And those scholarships are mostly sunk cost to the school. It's not like they have to add any academic staff to accommodate the players and those costs get absorbed elsewhere, just like any other business.

And those scholarships are mostly sunk cost to the school. It's not like they have to add any academic staff to accommodate the players and those costs get absorbed elsewhere, just like any other business.
It would be very school dependent but many schools have worked hard at endowing those scholarships to further bring down those costs.

Reactions: pittdan77
Olympic sports do pretty well in that regard.

A lot of the non-headcount sports generate some pretty good revenue for the schools.

As an example, women's soccer has 14 scholarship to give out in whole or in parts as the school desires. But Pitt had 34 players on their roster last fall. The men have 9.9 scholarships, but they had 28 players on the roster. Swimming and diving have the same scholarship limits, but Pitt currently has 27 women and 30 men on the roster.

That's a lot of money that athletes are paying to the school for tuition and room and board that their scholarships don't cover.

A lot of the non-headcount sports generate some pretty good revenue for the schools.

As an example, women's soccer has 14 scholarship to give out in whole or in parts as the school desires. But Pitt had 34 players on their roster last fall. The men have 9.9 scholarships, but they had 28 players on the roster. Swimming and diving have the same scholarship limits, but Pitt currently has 27 women and 30 men on the roster.

That's a lot of money that athletes are paying to the school for tuition and room and board that their scholarships don't cover.
You'll probably find that many of those other players are getting other forms of scholarships and aid but none of these are breaking the bank.

How about a single parent who is attending school full time on their own dime, working a full time job as well to help pay that bill AND then raising a child with all of the commitments that come along with doing that. Sorry, but there is simply no comparison, between the two.

How about a single parent who is attending school full time on their own dime, working a full time job as well to help pay that bill AND then raising a child with all of the commitments that come along with doing that. Sorry, but there is simply no comparison, between the two.

A single parent working full time isnt your "average" college student. And luckily, Point Park is marketing to these families. They will let single parents and their kids live in their dorms when they enroll.

A single parent working full time isnt your "average" college student. And luckily, Point Park is marketing to these families. They will let single parents and their kids live in their dorms when they enroll.
Whether they are "your average college student or not" is meaningless. I know when I attended Pitt, I had quite a few friends who were full time college students and they (and their families) paid for their own tuition and all associated costs of being a college student. Add to that most of them held a full time job as well to help pay for their education. Their schedule was full just like any scholarship athlete's would be.
By the way, would you want to live in a college dorm while raising your child??? Especially at a school in downtown Pittsburgh? You can't even walk a couple of blocks in downtown Pittsburgh without coming across a homeless person or someone asking for money. Not exactly the best environment to raise a child.

Whether they are "your average college student or not" is meaningless. I know when I attended Pitt, I had quite a few friends who were full time college students and they (and their families) paid for their own tuition and all associated costs of being a college student. Add to that most of them held a full time job as well to help pay for their education. Their schedule was full just like any scholarship athlete's would be.
By the way, would you want to live in a college dorm while raising your child??? Especially at a school in downtown Pittsburgh? You can't even walk a couple of blocks in downtown Pittsburgh without coming across a homeless person or someone asking for money. Not exactly the best environment to raise a child.

He is saying that football players have it tougher than the average college student. Do you disagree?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT