ADVERTISEMENT

Narduzzi on WRs on at his presser

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
I found 2 comments very interesting. We've all been blaming Slovis or the OL and no one is really paying attention to how poor the WRs have been and haven't been able to get open. Narduzzi said these 2 things:

- they were having guys play multiple WR spots but have decided to stop that so now the WRs will each have only one spot. When they need a break, there will be a backup at that spot. Sounded like there was confusion on which routes are for which spots and guys werent doing it right

- Feverishly defended Slovis. Mentioned that if 1 WR isnt in the right place, it throws everything off.

This brings me to the loss of Marion again. Underwood was supposed to be an upgrade but our WRs dont even know the plays and have been as bad as I can ever remember.

Also, I found interesting the praise he gave GT's players. He was over the top in how good he says they are. Hinted that their problem was the HC and they'll be better now. Threw a little dig in.

Last edited:
Reactions: 303vND
Good info.
I was in the camp that it wasn't Slovis either.
More dumb game plan and bad turnovers.
I think Slovis is a pretty good passer and his USC numbers show that. Sure, he was throwing to NFL talent and Im sure had better OL play but the point is if guys are open and he gets time, he completes passes at a high level. The WRs here have been terribly disappointing. They arent getting open. He isnt getting time to throw and to his fault, doesnt have great pocket awareness when plays are breaking down. Also not sure why they arent throwing to Bartholomew

Reactions: MarshallGoldberg
I found 2 comments very interesting. We've all been blaming Slovis or the OL and no one is really paying attention to how poor the WRs have been and haven't been able to get open. Narduzzi said these 2 things:

- they were having guys play multiple WR spots but have decided to stop that so now the WRs will each have only one spot. When they need a break, there will be a backup at that spot. Sounded like there was confusion on which routes are for which spots and guys werent doing it right

- Feverishly defended Slovis. Mentioned that if 1 WR isnt in the right place, it throws everything off.

This brings me to the loss of Marion again. Underwood was supposed to be an upgrade but our WRs dont even know the plays and have been as bad as I can ever remember.

Also, I found interesting the praise he gave GT's players. He was over the top in how good he says they are. Hinted that their problem was the HC and they'll be better now. Threw a little dig in.
I suspect the issues with the passing game confusion have a lot more to do with the new OC and new playbook than any position coach.

It would be nice if Pitt could keep a good OC around long enough to develop a consistent offensive identity. And yes, I understand that’s not just a Pitt problem.

Reactions: H2P-2007
It's been talked about quite a bit. Narduzzi said before the season that these receivers give him chest pains.

But yeah... If Slovis is sitting in the pocket befuddled by what his receivers are doing, as opposed to trying to process the game, then it's quite possible that we've been too hard on him. Maybe the receivers just suck that bad. Sure as hell seems like the outside linebackers have no idea what they're doing. Might be time to explore new options with those respective assistants. It's cool that Underwood can get some 5-stars to give a shout out to Pitt before they commit elsewhere and all, but at some point it matters more what they do on the field.

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
It's been talked about quite a bit. Narduzzi said before the season that these receivers give him chest pains.

But yeah... If Slovis is sitting in the pocket befuddled by what his receivers are doing, as opposed to trying to process the game, then it's quite possible that we've been too hard on him. Maybe the receivers just suck that bad. Sure as hell seems like the outside linebackers have no idea what they're doing. Might be time to explore new options with those respective assistants. It's cool that Underwood can get some 5-stars to give a shout out to Pitt before they commit elsewhere and all, but at some point it matters more what they do on the field.
If the QB looks downfield and his #1 read isn't where he's supposed to be, everything breaks down from there. That said, if Cignetti doesn't do something to create some space and stretch the field in the passing game, he's making opposing DBs' jobs a lot easier. They can just sit on those intermediate and underneath routes.

Narduzzi and Cignetti got lolled into thinking all they had to do was run the ball to win , like they did the prior 2 weeks and in the rain.
Big Mistake.

I think Pat came into this season thinking he had a lot more talent than he does.

That's not to say we don't have any, but we don't recruit significantly better than the competition or anything. Not sure why he thought we could just cut through everyone like butter. It's like he has forgotten his first 6 years on the job, where we were pretty evenly matched with most teams on our schedule and the difference between winning and losing was a few plays here or there.

2020: 6-5 with Pickett/Addison, two All-Americans at DE, and a secondary that included three guys now in the NFL

2019: 7-5 with three NFL cornerbacks, an NFL safety, another safety who was an All-American, Jones and AA Twyman up front, Pickett, etc.

And you can just keep going right down the line. There are 7 or 8 games every year that can go either way. It's difficult to win consistently against teams that are on the same general talent plane as you. If you want to do it, you better score a lot of points. That's just how the game is played now. A lot of the difference between winning and losing is which teams keep fighting vs which ones just go into the tank and stop giving as much effort. All the more reason to light up the scoreboard early and often.

Honestly did think the recruiting would be significantly better than it is this year at this point, but that takes years im told.

I think Pat came into this season thinking he had a lot more talent than he does.

That's not to say we don't have any, but we don't recruit significantly better than the competition or anything. Not sure why he thought we could just cut through everyone like butter. It's like he has forgotten his first 6 years on the job, where we were pretty evenly matched with most teams on our schedule and the difference between winning and losing was a few plays here or there.

2020: 6-5 with Pickett/Addison, two All-Americans at DE, and a secondary that included three guys now in the NFL

2019: 7-5 with three NFL cornerbacks, and NFL safety, another safety who was an All-American, Jones and AA Twyman up front, Pickett, etc.

And you can just keep going right down the line. There are 7 or 8 games every year that can go either way. It's difficult to win consistently against teams that are on the same general talent plane as you. If you want to do it, you better score a lot of points. That's just how the game is played now.
I think he thought his OL and WR were better than they are. He has good RBs so he thought hiring Cignetti was a plug and play as they can just become old Wisconsin and run the ball Big Ten style. We haven't been able to and were lucky as shit to beat a bad WVU team. So we can't run against D1 teams and the WRs can't get open. That aint good

I think he thought his OL and WR were better than they are. He has good RBs so he thought hiring Cignetti was a plug and play as they can just become old Wisconsin and run the ball Big Ten style. We haven't been able to and were lucky as shit to beat a bad WVU team. So we can't run against D1 teams and the WRs can't get open. That aint good

Even Wisconsin doesn't want to be Wisconsin anymore. Their entire fanbase is using the same jokes as we are. "It's not 1922 anymore," blah blah. You simply don't win that way anymore. You just don't.

I mean, it's probably a safe way to beat the teams you're egregiously more talented than (see: Western Michigan), but that's about it.

Reactions: 303vND
Even Wisconsin doesn't want to be Wisconsin anymore. Their entire fanbase is using the same jokes as we are. "It's not 1922 anymore," blah blah. You simply don't win that way anymore. You just don't.

I mean, it's probably a safe way to beat the teams you're egregiously more talented than (see: Western Michigan), but that's about it.
I actually think Wisconsin and Nebraska's best chances are to get those great linemen and maul people. Pitt can't get do that with 2 and 3 star linemen

I actually think Wisconsin and Nebraska's best chances are to get those great linemen and maul people. Pitt can't get do that with 2 and 3 star linemen

Like we did in 2018? That 7-7 season came with a very distinct ceiling: We couldn't beat anyone who had more highly-pedigreed recruits than we did.

Boston College has been playing that way for years. Plenty of o-linemen, running backs, and tight ends who have been really good and/or drafted. And they haven't won more than 7 games since 2009.

Reactions: sherepower
Like we did in 2018? That 7-7 season came with a very distinct ceiling: We couldn't beat anyone who had more highly-pedigreed recruits than we did.

Boston College has been playing that way for years. Plenty of o-linemen, running backs, and tight ends who have been really good and/or drafted. And they haven't won more than 7 games since 2009.
Pitt and BC cant get good linemen. I think Nebraska and Wisconsin can.

Yes they can. We had one of the best lines in the country in 2016 (5*, 4*, 4*, and 2nd round pick). And BC graded out as one of the better o-lines in football pretty frequently and has had a first round pick in two of the last four years on the o-line.

Playing that way is not playing to win. Even Alabama has figured that out.

Yes they can. We had one of the best lines in the country in 2016 (5*, 4*, 4*, and 2nd round pick). And BC graded out as one of the better o-lines in football pretty frequently and has had a first round pick in two of the last four years on the o-line.

You proved my point. We had the best offense in school history in 2016. We would have been 12-0 if we just had a bad defense, not a historically bad one

Reactions: cbpitt2
You proved my point. We had the best offense in school history in 2016. We would have been 12-0 if we just had a bad defense, not a historically bad one

And we would have been 6-6 if Watson doesn't try throwing a ball in the end zone when a field goal would have put the game on ice and if a GT defender doesn't let a ball go through his hands and right to Orndoff, who ran for a touchdown. Hell, we lose to Marshall if we don't convert a 4th down at midfield. That final score was deceiving because we got a touchdown off that and then had a late pick-6. And then there's the PSU receiver who dropped the ball.

But that's a moot point, because yeah... that team could run over people. If you have an ACC POY at RB, and all your highly-recruited linemen pan out, sure... go for it. They could also air it out, though. I would guess Peterman's 2,855 yards is one of the better passing totals in a season in Pitt history, and he was highly efficient on top of that.

But there will always be exceptions to the rules. That team also had the best return man in the country, probably. More often than not, though, your o-line isn't going to be perfect. You'll need to scheme around deficiencies. And defenses have a difficult time stopping the pass. If you face a team that can air it out, you better be able to match them. If we played that 2021 Miami game this year and they got on us in the first quarter like that, we would lose by 35 points.

Last edited:
Reactions: Patrick98
And we would have been 6-6 if Watson doesn't try throwing a ball in the end zone when a field goal would have put the game on ice and if a GT defender doesn't let a ball go through his hands and right to Orndoff, who ran for a touchdown. Hell, we lose to Marshall if we don't convert a 4th down at midfield.
Again, we had a terrible defense. The O was good enough for 12-0

Reactions: cbpitt2
Again, we had a terrible defense. The O was good enough for 12-0

And also again, it's not like that team couldn't throw the ball. Peterman was very efficient and went from having to compete with Voytik (albeit a faux competition) to being a 5th round pick. That wasn't because front offices liked how he handed off.

Also, that was six years ago. The game has changed since even then. Six years ago, Alabama was playing pro style. Since then, they have switched.

Further, that d was bad. But it was the same guys who performed pretty well in 2015. What changed? It was the high-powered offenses we faced. Watson, Jones, Trubisky, Rudolph, Kaaya, McSorley, etc. It's not that Narduzzi has figured out how to stop those types of guys; we just have a better pass rush now and face less of them. Yet another reason why you better be able to trade blows if you have to on offense. And yes - that team could. Probably not going to be the case with too many run-first offenses, though.

Last edited:
BC has had two lineman drafted in the first round over the last 4 years. In 2019 they had all five of their starting offensive linemen earn All-ACC honors in John Phillips (first team), Zion Johnson (second team), Ben Petrula (second team), Alex Lindstrom (third team) and Tyler Vrabel (honorable mention). So how in the world do you think they can't get good linemen? Just because they don't fit the stereo type of the big farm boys doesn't mean they can't get a good line.

We're a third of the way through the season and WR's don't know where to run?
Seriously 5 games in and they don't know what they are doing? It not like the two deep is made up of true freshmen. They been here for spring practice also.

It has to be a one or a combination of:
1. Bad and overly complicated play calling system
2. Really dumb group of players
3. Very bad coaching.

Seriously 5 games in and they don't know what they are doing? It not like the two deep is made up of true freshmen. They been here for spring practice also.

It has to be a one or a combination of:
1. Bad and overly complicated play calling system
2. Really dumb group of players
3. Very bad coaching.
Beat it

When your team is embarrassed by a 20-point underdog, claiming that the opponent's players are very good is an indictment of your coaching. GT was bad enough to get the head coach fired, after losing 9 straight games to FBS opponents, yet somehow was good enough, without its coach, to dominate Pitt.

Reactions: Jim Z

Typical dick move by Nardo. Throws a dig in at the fired coach while trying to save face by claiming the GT players and their 9-25 record over the last 3 years are not as bad as everyone thought.

Reactions: Jim Z

After being embarrassed at home by GT he should forget about making classless "little digs" and shut the F up and coach

Reactions: PittPharm2002

Pitt isn't playing that style exclusively. They fully intend on playing a style that's versatile, and can throw the ball downfield out of multiple formations.

The problems now are execution. We heard this same stuff for Whipple and how his offense was outdated for 2 years, until it wasn't.

Pitt doesn't recruit to win. Bama has that figured out. Pitt hasn't.

Pitt isn't playing that style exclusively. They fully intend on playing a style that's versatile, and can throw the ball downfield out of multiple formations.

The problems now are execution. We heard this same stuff for Whipple and how his offense was outdated for 2 years, until it wasn't.

Pitt doesn't recruit to win. Bama has that figured out. Pitt hasn't.
Ye$, Bama play$ to win!

This team has a lot of issues. The lack of Brennan Marion isn't one of them.

When your team is embarrassed by a 20-point underdog, claiming that the opponent's players are very good is an indictment of your coaching. GT was bad enough to get the head coach fired, after losing 9 straight games to FBS opponents, yet somehow was good enough, without its coach, to dominate Pitt.
I agree. I think Narduzzi was trying to say, without saying it, that the only reason why GT was bad was because of Collins and now that he's gone, they will be good because they have good players. Someone asked about the similarity of the WMU loss last year and he said like no disrespect to WMU but there's no comparison because GT has ACC players. He didn't use those exact words but said if you look at WMU and you look at GT, you see the difference. My response would be that I would think GT is a mid-level MAC team at best, maybe low-level MAC team

Why in the hell would you want to be Wisconsin? THIS ISN'T THE BIG TEN OF THE 90S!!!

I agree. I think Narduzzi was trying to say, without saying it, that the only reason why GT was bad was because of Collins and now that he's gone, they will be good because they have good players. Someone asked about the similarity of the WMU loss last year and he said like no disrespect to WMU but there's no comparison because GT has ACC players. He didn't use those exact words but said if you look at WMU and you look at GT, you see the difference. My response would be that I would think GT is a mid-level MAC team at best, maybe low-level MAC team
I think you are reading way too much into what Duzz was saying about Tech. Basically, all he said was they have some guys that can play. (Which is true)

There is a big difference between having good players and having a good team. They are horrible offensively, and it almost feels like every passing down for Tech is going to end in disaster, unless the defense fails to contain Sims. If Tech ever gets down by 2 scores, its pretty much game over, and usually they quit. Pitt's own ineptitude kept Tech in the game, - they got some confidence and found a way to win.

So while they have some players, they are still a bad team, and its really challenging for them to grind out any win against decent competition.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT