ADVERTISEMENT

Narduzzi Tenure

I disagree in part. Yes, 2019 bowl win against Eastern Michigan was hardly impressive and didn't get his team ranked. Bowl wins are important especially if it brings and ninth or tenth win. In Narduzzi's case, if he had won in 2015 and 2016 he may have ended the season with his team ranked. 9-4 is what Harris had in 2003 and what Wannstedt would have had in 2008 if he had won the Sun Bowl. In 2018 the record was too poor to get a ranking at 8-5 and last year's team didn't get the national respect after beating a lowly MAC team and finished with an 8-5 record.

Narduzzi needs to win bowl games. But he can't fart away games like he does every season.

Then he needs to get those 9th and 10th wins in the regular season, when it counts.
Not add cheap wins because the other team is playing with an interim coach or the starting QB is sitting out for the NFL draft.

Want to know the easiest way to spot trolls on this board? They often use the term “we”. Tell me, what role do you play within the Pitt program?

Please try harder.

Not really. I have you playing detective on the board and obsessing over pronouns. That allows me to sleep peacefully at night and focus on other things.

I definitely think he's the guy. Pitt cannot just keep running through coaches. He's built an elite defense and I think it's here to stay. I don't think it'll be as good as this potential 2020 defense every year, but it won't be like the 2016 and 2017 defenses.

As long as he's able to retain OCs for 3-5 years consistently he'll keep Pitt in a good spot.

He’s the 7-5 guy. He’s yet to build an actual team. He’s lost 5 games with an objectively good Top 25 team.
Depending on what your requirements for “the guy” are, that might be “the guy.” Those just aren’t mine.
And every season since 2016 has only reinforced my takeaway from the 2016 season. It’s not like he’s showed me up and made me look like a fool any season since then. It’s a bad to average program every year since then. Projected to be average again this year.

“Content” with 7-10 wins in football. He would be one of the 3 best football coaches we ever had over the last 80 years if that happens.
Very true but meaning they're not planning on hiring a very successful HC from a power 5 conference anytime soon. Walt was here for 8 years and that was one of the longest tenure for a Pitt football HC in years. Got to keep him now through all of this as well for stability.

He’s the 7-5 guy. He’s yet to build an actual team. He’s lost 5 games with an objectively good Top 25 team.
Depending on what your requirements for “the guy” are, that might be “the guy.” Those just aren’t mine.
And every season since 2016 has only reinforced my takeaway from the 2016 season. It’s not like he’s showed me up and made me look like a fool any season since then. It’s a bad to average program every year since then. Projected to be average again this year.
Pitt is a 7-5 type of program, so you shouldn’t be surprised. 8 or more wins is a successful season.

Pitt is a 7-5 type of program, so you shouldn’t be surprised. 8 or more wins is a successful season.
Sauce, it could be an 8-10 win program if they can string a couple 9+ win seasons. It's very doable and especially playing in the ACC Coastal helps too. The OOC schedule these past several years was just unbearable considering the merry-go-round of coaches that we went through.

Reactions: LeftCoastPanther
I think it is possible, but people need to realize it is a harder job than people realize.
It's certainly not easy. But football isn't brain surgery. He has made numerous in-game blunders and is not adept at making halftime adjustments. He seems to prepare well, but I don't like him on game day. I just don't trust him to make smart coaching decisions. There have been a few good wins, but just as many bad losses. It's been a steady beat of mediocrity. I'll always root them on but will prepare for the bad outcomes.

I think it is possible, but people need to realize it is a harder job than people realize.
It's a tough job considering that Pitt competes against the pro sports in this town as well the so called other "local college teams". That being said Pitt can be an 8-10 win program if they keep the spending of updating its facilities etc.

Reactions: LeftCoastPanther

And I think that is a defensible position to take. But I’m not sure that makes him “the man,” as we could probably bring in a ton of guys that finish 8-4, 7-5, or under .500 every season.
All that aside, but original point was that 2016 season is what convinced me he wasn’t going to be the guy to take the program *above* that.

It’s always going to be tough being a northern program in a southern conference. You’re forced to go far away to recruit the scraps that the local programs don’t want. And generally there’s a reason they don’t want them.
The program’s ceiling is behind UNC, Miami, and VT. If those programs are clicking, our best version of clicking will be behind their best version of clicking purely because of the talent pool they have access to.

Being at best the 4th best program in a 7 team division, is for sure going to make the job tough.
But that hasn’t really been an excuse in a while, because none of those programs have clicked in a while. The job has been a lot easier over the last decade than it could conceivably be over the next decade.

IMO it's Narduzzi's worst loss.

A definite wtf moment but what did it cost us? Coastal wasn't on the line. A top 25 ranking wasn't there. Yeah maybe a slightly better bowl than the Detroit one with a win against BC, but it's not like it cost us the Orange bowl. Northwestern in the bowl was the worse loss

We are going to end up in the same place with Duzz we did with Wanny. He will win consistently enough that we will always think we are one season away from the next level but there will always be enough head scratchers that we won’t actually get to the next level.

Given what we’ve been through since firing Wanny (and Dixon), I think that’s about Pitt’s level.

What can help Pitt achieve more 10-win seasons is finding much better QBs. Decent guys won't get you there and Narduzzi has done an underrated job at filling the QB room. Hopefully Kenny can take us to 10 wins in 2019 then down the road one of the younger guys is the real deal for two years and Pitt wins a total of 20-22 games.

Reactions: Jeffburgh
North Western just flat beat Pitt.
But Stanford was a classic Pitt missed opportunity.
Pitt should have been up 10-0 versus Northwestern and George slipped with a clear path the end zone. He scores and I wonder how that game plays out. That play is emblematic of Pitt players not making plays to win games that has haunted the program for decades now.

Reactions: Jeffburgh
Dorian Johnson, Northwestern ranks up there with Texas A&M as one of the dirtiest programs (in terms of cheap shots) that I have seen. Wish nothing but ill will towards them, unless the play the nits.
Yeah, they were pretty chippy. But, they ran all over Pitt and outhit them, too one of the few ganes a HCPN team was pushed around.

What can help Pitt achieve more 10-win seasons is finding much better QBs. Decent guys won't get you there and Narduzzi has done an underrated job at filling the QB room. Hopefully Kenny can take us to 10 wins in 2019 then down the road one of the younger guys is the real deal for two years and Pitt wins a total of 20-22 games.

That’s true of every program though.
The trick to “more 10 win seasons” is not needing a 10 win level QB to get there. Of course that is extremely difficult, which is why 10 win seasons are few and far between for most teams.

A definite wtf moment but what did it cost us? Coastal wasn't on the line. A top 25 ranking wasn't there. Yeah maybe a slightly better bowl than the Detroit one with a win against BC, but it's not like it cost us the Orange bowl. Northwestern in the bowl was the worse loss

I think BC was worse for a few reasons. They were a 5 win team and fired their coach the next day. Pitt also lost Peterman, Conner, and a few others to injury against NW.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT