ADVERTISEMENT

Nate Oats to Alabama

My God the SEC isnt effing around.

The SEC could have 12 or 13 of the Top 20-25 coaches in America. Just insane. Swoffy is going to have some heart to hearts with AD's because the SEC is lapping them.

My God the SEC isnt effing around.

The SEC could have 12 or 13 of the Top 20-25 coaches in America. Just insane. Swoffy is going to have some heart to hearts with AD's because the SEC is lapping them.

Eh, pretty uncertain that a guy like Oats can recreate his success at a big time school vs the MAC. I think he'll do fine but let's not overstate things. Would still rather have Capel over Oats any day.

Eh, pretty uncertain that a guy like Oats can recreate his success at a big time school vs the MAC. I think he'll do fine but let's not overstate things. Would still rather have Capel over Oats any day.

Oats did have a MAC team ranked & won a tournament game this year. Pretty impressive.

That said, Capel was about the best assistant coach hire we could’ve gotten.

Reactions: BuffetParrothead

Oats has a big-time personality that will kill it on the recruiting trail. Add in payments to players and I'd bet on a Top 10 class next year for Bama.

Oats has a big-time personality that will kill it on the recruiting trail. Add in payments to players and I'd bet on a Top 10 class next year for Bama.

Oats' personality sucks. I worry about anyone who's impressed by it.

The payments will be enough, though.

He's got that arrogant, obnoxious, life of the party personality and those guys do well in living rooms

I'll agree with arrogant and obnoxious, but not the rest. I see Nate Oats' personality all the time, but never in people who are truly confident. It reads as overly affected and doesn't necessarily play well in living rooms. I do think he's a pretty good coach and certainly an upgrade on the last 3 they've had, but I'm very happy he's not our coach.

I'll agree with arrogant and obnoxious, but not the rest. I see Nate Oats' personality all the time, but never in people who are truly confident. It reads as overly affected and doesn't necessarily play well in living rooms. I do think he's a pretty good coach and certainly an upgrade on the last 3 they've had, but I'm very happy he's not our coach.

He is the basketball version of James Franklin. Trust me, that works in living rooms. The frat boy schmooze type is what you need in this type of sales.

He is the basketball version of James Franklin. Trust me, that works in living rooms. The frat boy schmooze type is what you need in this type of sales.

I do not trust you. You fell in love with him thanks to one idiotic press conference. He doesn't have a reputation as a great recruiter. He doesn't have a huge personality. He's just a good coach. That's it, he's a smart guy who understands X's and O's and can relate to his players. He'll probably succeed because Alabama will back him with lots of $$$ and he won't need to have a shining personality (he doesn't) to recruit.

Reactions: bethpageli
Wasn’t he at Oklahoma?

Anyway, he had been an assistant at Duke for like 7 years so don’t act like we poached a current head coach. The fact he has head coach experience is good tho.

I meant Oklahoma when I said big time school. His HC experience before coming here was way more substantial than Oats, IMO. Doesn't matter to me if the experience was current or not. Regardless of HC experience, I think poaching Duke's first chair > poaching a MAC coach.

Didn't mean for this to turn into an Oats v Capel pissing match. I think Oats is good but he is just one of countless mid major coaches making the jump after a nice tourney run. Hopefully he's more Scott Drew than Bryce Drew.

Last edited:
I meant Oklahoma when I said big time school. His HC experience before coming here was way more substantial than Oats, IMO. Doesn't matter to me if the experience was current or not. Regardless of HC experience, I think poaching Duke's first chair > poaching a MAC coach.

Didn't mean for this to turn into an Oats v Capel pissing match. I think Oats is good but he is just one of countless mid major coaches making the jump after a nice tourney run. Hopefully he's more Scott Drew than Bryce Drew.

Oats is going to absolutely light it up on the recruiting trail. Think Will Wade/LSU. Within a couple years, they will be a Top 10 team.

Superficially, it looks like an odd fit to me.

I’m not criticizing the hire, or Oats. I simply don’t think it’s feasible for Alabama to achieve anything beyond modest success in basketball no matter who they hire, unless they go full rogue.

They have a long history to support that proposition.

Oats is going to absolutely light it up on the recruiting trail. Think Will Wade/LSU. Within a couple years, they will be a Top 10 team.
As luck would have it just received my new Marriott Bonvoy card...Should I get you two a room? I get double the points for MAC coach copulations.

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
Doesn’t anyone think it’s kind of funny how he was mentioned as a possible Pitt coach last yr and nothing then in what 2/3 days Alabama fires their coach and he’s announced !

Doesn’t anyone think it’s kind of funny how he was mentioned as a possible Pitt coach last yr and nothing then in what 2/3 days Alabama fires their coach and he’s announced !

He had a team full of seniors (8 of them) returning and wanted to milk that for all it was worth. He can go to Alabama in a conference that is "loose" on recruiting. He wasn't going to leave Buffalo after last season because he thought he could make a run in the tourney this season. He didn't.

Reactions: DiehardPanther

He wanted at least $3 million to consider Pitt. Avery Johnson made $3 million at Bama so Oats will probably be getting $3.5 million to $4 million per and can cheat as much as he wants. He made a wise choice.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
His career up to this point is almost identical to Ralph Willard's career when Pitt hired him.

Hope he does well but many small school coaches flame out when they step up in competition.

He had a team full of seniors (8 of them) returning and wanted to milk that for all it was worth. He can go to Alabama in a conference that is "loose" on recruiting. He wasn't going to leave Buffalo after last season because he thought he could make a run in the tourney this season. He didn't.
Enough cash makes you change your mind . What was Pitt offering Hurley?

He wanted at least $3 million to consider Pitt. Avery Johnson made $3 million at Bama so Oats will probably be getting $3.5 million to $4 million per and can cheat as much as he wants. He made a wise choice.
Not sure you all of a sudden decide to cheat . Was he know as a guy skirting the rules at Buffalo ?

Enough cash makes you change your mind . What was Pitt offering Hurley?

Not sure you all of a sudden decide to cheat . Was he know as a guy skirting the rules at Buffalo ?

Over $3m. But Pitt is a complete rebuild and we don’t cheat as much as most others.

Over $3m. But Pitt is a complete rebuild and we don’t cheat as much as most others.
I’m not shocked that that he choose not to go to Pitt , but how quickly he took the Bama job . Wonder what the numbers are ?

It's possible, but I see no evidence of it. He only pulled one 4 star at Buffalo, a local kid who didn't have a great offer sheet and honestly doesn't look anything like a 4 star when I watch him play. His recruiting classes are typically in the 75-90 range, which isn't awful for where he's coaching but doesn't suggest that he's a good recruiter either.

I’m not criticizing the hire, or Oats. I simply don’t think it’s feasible for Alabama to achieve anything beyond modest success in basketball no matter who they hire, unless they go full rogue.

They have a long history to support that proposition.

Your saying Ricky Pitino time? lol :rolleyes:

His career up to this point is almost identical to Ralph Willard's career when Pitt hired him.

Hope he does well but many small school coaches flame out when they step up in competition.

I agree. He won't be playing directional Michigans, Akron, Ohio, and other bottom feeding schools. Far from a slam dunk hire.

Neither Franklin nor Oats would make it in my living room. I'd probably boot them out the door within the first 5 minutes. Disgusting people to be around.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT