ADVERTISEMENT

Nate Sestina

Sounds more and more like it's just a visit. What a jagoff.
Don’t know why that makes PSN a jag off. You can read the beginning of the PSN article for free withybeind a diehard and it pretty much indicates it’s a visit do what are they doing so wrong, definitely nothing much different than what every other site and media outlet does.

Those like Souf and others that have this big hard on against PSN obviously have some ax to grind. In general, I ‘d say their site provides more free info than any other, including interview comments from recruits making visits to Pitt relatively quickly after their visits. None of it is earth-shattering info but of some interest if you’re a Pitt fan nonetheless.

Reactions: 4upmc
No way he's s take for KY!Cal's doing someone a Pa favor and inviting him down.Maybe his parents went to Clarion?

They are not doing any favors.

A lot of schools approach players of this caliber. Good kid good player good student. Kentucky wasn’t the only blue blood.

Don’t know why that makes PSN a jag off. You can read the beginning of the PSN article for free withybeind a diehard and it pretty much indicates it’s a visit do what are they doing so wrong, definitely nothing much different than what every other site and media outlet does.

Those like Souf and others that have this big hard on against PSN obviously have some ax to grind. In general, I ‘d say their site provides more free info than any other, including interview comments from recruits making visits to Pitt relatively quickly after their visits. None of it is earth-shattering info but of some interest if you’re a Pitt fan nonetheless.
Not their site but their tweets about the news.
I have nothing against them. This is the 1st thing they've done that I found to be hyperbolic crap.

Coaches are professionals with contracts that include penalties if they are voided or breached. Players are 'amateur student athletes'. Pick a school, not a coach still rings true for this guy.

Players sign contracts too, as a condition of getting athletic aid. If you are going to allow coaches to break their contracts then players should be allowed to break theirs too. Same rules for the peons as the rich people.

Reactions: BuffetParrothead

Yep if you just read a bit it’s clear that it’s a visit.

All of these sites get info wrong. But I agree they provide more free info than any other Pitt site. I’ll take Pitt info wherever it comes from.

I just call them what they are.

The next news they break will be the first.

They have been pulling the click bait routine for years.

Reactions: Drew1208
Players sign contracts too, as a condition of getting athletic aid. If you are going to allow coaches to break their contracts then players should be allowed to break theirs too. Same rules for the peons as the rich people.
I’m not opposed to schools having to pay other schools a buyout when a player transfers to their school.

Wait, HUGE news for a visit? That is going way out there in order to possibly try and attract new subscribers. Look I like the site and have no problem whatsoever with the content, but unless Pitt was getting a visit from anyone not named Zion Williamson, it is not HUGE news.

To me huge news would be getting a commit from a pretty highly ranked player.

Maybe the title should have read Pitt and Jeff Capel are getting some good news.

See if I signed up for a subscription because of the huge news article, I would be pretty upset.

Reactions: WeaverIsComing
I agree. The new school should have to pay something like 50% of the salary that the player was making at the old school.

Well, if and when players actually are paid salaries in college sports it may very well be the end of big time football and basketball at Pitt as well as at many other schools.

A significant number of schools will drop P5 level football and basketball entirely (it will be too expensive to maintain) and Pitt might be among them. I would give that at least a 50-50 likelihood for Pitt. Overall the blue bloods who can afford the costs will become even more dominant than they are now. This will be a terrible tragedy for college sports fans.

From a personal perspective, assuming the trend isn't reversed, I see myself no longer paying attention to college sports at all. I lost all interest in baseball and subsequently pro basketball when they each went to free agency. The interjection of politics into the NFL has turned me off to that league. I find the trend to free agency in college sports and calls to pay the players salaries very saddening.

IMHO, this is a trend to "throwing out the baby with the bath water." Instead, here is something like what I believe possibly should be done instead of the current trend:

1. Push all one-and-dones immediately from high school to the pros or a pro minor league.
2. Guarantee all ships for 5 years or completion of a degree--whichever comes first. Injured players get the same guarantee.
3. Increase the value of the ships somewhat by providing a monthly stipend of spending money equivalent to what the average student not on ship would receive from mom and dad or from a campus or summer job.
4. Have schools lose a ship for 5 years for any player who leaves early without a degree and either doesn't make a pro-roster domestically or overseas or complete that degree at another school within 5 years of graduating from high school.
5. For any head coach that voluntarily leaves for another school, the school that hires him loses one ship in that sport for every player who transfers out of that coach's old school. They do not get those ships back until each transfer's 5 years since high school graduation is up.

1. Push all one-and-dones immediately from high school to the pros or a pro minor league.
2. Guarantee all ships for 5 years or completion of a degree--whichever comes first. Injured players get the same guarantee.
3. Increase the value of the ships somewhat by providing a monthly stipend of spending money equivalent to what the average student not on ship would receive from mom and dad or from a campus or summer job.
4. Have schools lose a ship for 5 years for any player who leaves early without a degree and either doesn't make a pro-roster domestically or overseas or complete that degree at another school within 5 years of graduating from high school.
5. For any head coach that voluntarily leaves for another school, the school that hires him loses one ship in that sport for every player who transfers out of that coach's old school. They do not get those ships back until each transfer's 5 years since high school graduation is up.

The NCAA has nothing to do with number one. Number two, the P5 schools have already done that. Number three, the P5 schools have already done that. Number four is a really dumb idea, and the schools would never vote for it. And number five is kinda dumb too, and has no chance of ever happening.

The NCAA has nothing to do with number one. Number two, the P5 schools have already done that. Number three, the P5 schools have already done that. Number four is a really dumb idea, and the schools would never vote for it. And number five is kinda dumb too, and has no chance of ever happening.

Not claiming any or all of these will or could happen. Just throwing out ideas (impractical or not) for discussion because almost anything, IMO, would be preferable to killing off college football and basketball by paying players.

Not claiming any or all of these will or could happen. Just throwing out ideas (impractical or not) for discussion because almost anything, IMO, would be preferable to killing off college football and basketball by paying players.
Pitt reaped in over 30 million from the ACC last yr ...oh poor Pitt if they have to find a million dollars for the bb and Fb players . They found plenty to rid themselves of KS and pay JC .
It’s really quite simple why pay someone when you don’t have to ?

Pitt reaped in over 30 million from the ACC last yr ...oh poor Pitt if they have to find a million dollars for the bb and Fb players . They found plenty to rid themselves of KS and pay JC .
It’s really quite simple why pay someone when you don’t have to ?

As I've said a million times, Pitt football and basketball would be in no jeopardy if they ever have to pay players. Pitt and schools like Pitt would just take their Olympic sports D3 so they dont have to pay for their scholarships.

As I've said a million times, Pitt football and basketball would be in no jeopardy if they ever have to pay players. Pitt and schools like Pitt would just take their Olympic sports D3 so they dont have to pay for their scholarships.

They would do so now if Title IX wouldn’t be invoked.

Not under the current NCAA rules and federal laws they wouldn't.

OK, you keep enough womens sports D1 to comply
If the big boys would go to a super conference were the players are being paid I’m sure there’d be a complete break from the NCAA . The schools would basically be running their own professional sports leagues , so why would they need the meddling of NCAA . How they would then address the Olympic sports teams and title IX would be another issue altogether .

If the big boys would go to a super conference were the players are being paid I’m sure there’d be a complete break from the NCAA . The schools would basically be running their own professional sports leagues , so why would they need the meddling of NCAA . How they would then address the Olympic sports teams and title IX would be another issue altogether .

You can bet there would be plenty of litigation and/or legislation passed to prevent or reverse any escape from the clutches of Title IX requirements for equal treatment of men's and women's sports participants sponsored by colleges. I doubt it would end well for the colleges.

I’m not opposed to schools having to pay other schools a buyout when a player transfers to their school.

The entire concept of schools paying players, or paying other schools a buyout, or paying anything more than they pay today to field a football team is ridiculous.
Maybe 20-30 D1 programs make money on football and basketball while the others ( how many programs are out there 160?) breakeven or lose money.
The top programs will pay and the others won't. If forced to pay for transfers or pay players my opinion is most schools would drop D1 football for sure, maybe basketball and PITT would be on the top of that list.

The entire concept of schools paying players, or paying other schools a buyout, or paying anything more than they pay today to field a football team is ridiculous.
Maybe 20-30 D1 programs make money on football and basketball while the others ( how many programs are out there 160?) breakeven or lose money.
The top programs will pay and the others won't. If forced to pay for transfers or pay players my opinion is most schools would drop D1 football for sure, maybe basketball and PITT would be on the top of that list.
The only two sports that generate any positive cash flow at the P6 level are bb and Fb and the rest just suck money from the universities coffers . The simple fact that these schools pay coaches of these two sports millions of dollars a yr and they are far and away the highest paid employees of the university shows that this is not just a sport it’s big business . No one pays anyone millions of dollars unless their returning more money to you . While the universities and coaches make millions they've managed to field their teams by offering a free education and coaching to their players most of whom couldn’t be admitted to those schools on their academic skills alone . Most players ( not all ) would probably rather focus on their sport than ever stepping a foot into a classroom . As long as your alma mater wins most alumni don’t care whether the players receive a quality education . Is it really fair to make millions off the skills of these young men and not allow them to profit from it ? There nothing to stop a university whose willing to cheat to pay benefits beyond any agreed upon scale even jail time won’t stop the cheating . There’s just too much money at stake for everyone , but the players . A school like Pitt isn’t walking away from 32 million payday even if it cost them a couple of millions to pay the players . 32-2 > 0 !!

The only two sports that generate any positive cash flow at the P6 level are bb and Fb and the rest just suck money from the universities coffers . The simple fact that these schools pay coaches of these two sports millions of dollars a yr and they are far and away the highest paid employees of the university shows that this is not just a sport it’s big business . No one pays anyone millions of dollars unless their returning more money to you . While the universities and coaches make millions they've managed to field their teams by offering a free education and coaching to their players most of whom couldn’t be admitted to those schools on their academic skills alone . Most players ( not all ) would probably rather focus on their sport than ever stepping a foot into a classroom . As long as your alma mater wins most alumni don’t care whether the players receive a quality education . Is it really fair to make millions off the skills of these young men and not allow them to profit from it ? There nothing to stop a university whose willing to cheat to pay benefits beyond any agreed upon scale even jail time won’t stop the cheating . There’s just too much money at stake for everyone , but the players . A school like Pitt isn’t walking away from 32 million payday even if it cost them a couple of millions to pay the players . 32-2 > 0 !!
1) Pitt, Wake, etc get that $32MM whether they win or not. As things are currently organized, most P-5 schools can simply relax and be the Pirates. Rake in the TV money for being only slightly respectable.

2) So many people act as if the NCAA is this big monolithic organization imposing standards on the schools. The NCAA is the schools. They vote on the rule changes.

Yeah, there are more have-nots than haves. The P-5's have sweetened the pot to keep enough support from the smaller schools to allow the big boys to control their own destiny.

There are advantages to BOTH sides with the current rules. Neither really want major changes.

1) Pitt, Wake, etc get that $32MM whether they win or not. As things are currently organized, most P-5 schools can simply relax and be the Pirates. Rake in the TV money for being only slightly respectable.

2) So many people act as if the NCAA is this big monolithic organization imposing standards on the schools. The NCAA is the schools. They vote on the rule changes.

Yeah, there are more have-nots than haves. The P-5's have sweetened the pot to keep enough support from the smaller schools to allow the big boys to control their own destiny.

There are advantages to BOTH sides with the current rules. Neither really want major changes.
I was thinking alone the lines of why would you cut the NCAA in on the bounty . Plus if winning is what your business is all about , which it really is , you can throw minimum academic standards out the window . Even when there’s no athletic scholarships like in the Ivies coaches who don’t win get fired .

I was thinking alone the lines of why would you cut the NCAA in on the bounty . Plus if winning is what your business is all about , which it really is , you can throw minimum academic standards out the window . Even when there’s no academic scholarships like in the Ivies coaches who don’t win get fired .

Pretty simple. Whoever has the power to destroy something ultimately calls the shots IF they're willing to do that. The smaller schools have less to lose.

While there are 65 or so P-5 football schools, only maybe 25-30 are really competitive. The other half are for lack of a better description, the Pirates. They show up and take their money, win or lose. Mostly,as long as they can schedule to be 6-6 or 5-7, they really don't care.

The big boys want their 7 home games as often as possible for revenue. They also want a winning record. Unless the P-5 schools can buy easy home games, they can't function.

If the non-P-5 teams simply stop taking the big boys' paychecks and quit playing P-5 schools, the whole system breaks down. Parity sells in the NFL, with 1 game over .500 teams going to the Playoffs. Not so much in drawing booster/alumni dollars.

The NCAA LIVES from the basketball tournament revenue. Without it, they'd have to find a new revenue stream or close the doors. At least 300 of the 375 or however many schools call themselves D-1 in hoops are the same. March Madness is the Holy Grail.

The big football schools briefly tried a coup on the NCAA 30 or more years ago, starting to organize themselves as the CFA, College Football Association. and marketing their own rights separately . Chaos briefly erupted and cooler heads prevailed.

There's too much money going too many ways to upset the applecart. The status quo works.

Pretty simple. Whoever has the power to destroy something ultimately calls the shots IF they're willing to do that. The smaller schools have less to lose.

While there are 65 or so P-5 football schools, only maybe 25-30 are really competitive. The other half are for lack of a better description, the Pirates. They show up and take their money, win or lose. Mostly,as long as they can schedule to be 6-6 or 5-7, they really don't care.

The big boys want their 7 home games as often as possible for revenue. They also want a winning record. Unless the P-5 schools can buy easy home games, they can't function.

If the non-P-5 teams simply stop taking the big boys' paychecks and quit playing P-5 schools, the whole system breaks down. Parity sells in the NFL, with 1 game over .500 teams going to the Playoffs. Not so much in drawing booster/alumni dollars.

The NCAA LIVES from the basketball tournament revenue. Without it, they'd have to find a new revenue stream or close the doors. At least 300 of the 375 or however many schools call themselves D-1 in hoops are the same. March Madness is the Holy Grail.

The big football schools briefly tried a coup on the NCAA 30 or more years ago, starting to organize themselves as the CFA, College Football Association. and marketing their own rights separately . Chaos briefly erupted and cooler heads prevailed.

There's too much money going too many ways to upset the applecart. The status quo works.
Your probably right that in thinking everyone involved is getting compensated beyond their wildest dreams . A college bb or Fb coach making 8 million a yr , what’s Alabama or Duke’s take in Fb and bb . The only ones left out in the cold are the players !
The Fb schools could always form conferences and like the nfl play home and home series . What do you think a ticket to an Al / OSU games goes for !

Your probably right that in thinking everyone involved is getting compensated beyond their wildest dreams . A college bb or Fb coach making 8 million a yr , what’s Alabama or Duke’s take in Fb and bb . The only ones left out in the cold are the players !
The Fb schools could always form conferences and like the nfl play home and home series . What do you think a ticket to an Al / OSU games goes for !
Well, there are already conferences.

I think it's more that the revenue model college football thrives on isn't ticket sales, but after the conference TV contracts, the main differences are seat licenses and booster donations.

Everybody in the current conferences makes about the same. The difference between everybody AFTER the top 25 or 30 schools is discretionary spending, donations and seat licenses/preferred seating fees.

I think those donations would be a lot less if most teams were around .500. Boosters and fans donate to winners. Take away the couple basically guaranteed OOC wins and that discretionary donations would drop.

The ACC going to more in-conference games may have the same effect.

Well, there are already conferences.

I think it's more that the revenue model college football thrives on isn't ticket sales, but after the conference TV contracts, the main differences are seat licenses and booster donations.

Everybody in the current conferences makes about the same. The difference between everybody AFTER the top 25 or 30 schools is discretionary spending, donations and seat licenses/preferred seating fees.

I think those donations would be a lot less if most teams were around .500. Boosters and fans donate to winners. Take away the couple basically guaranteed OOC wins and that discretionary donations would drop.

The ACC going to more in-conference games may have the same effect.
I’m not sure the money would be less for elite programs , having guaranteed home games against great competition almost every week every year vs playing 5/6 games every year against teams that your backups could beat plus currently you only have your great rivals at home every other year . This certainly would allow schools to increase their ticket prices and the required donations for season tickets . All the networks would be foaming at the mouth to televise these games .
Mediocre programs would suffer , but the elite would thrive .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT