ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Baseball Tournament

Joe the Panther Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Jul 6, 2001
Of the 16 regional hosts 13 of them are either SEC or ACC schools. Virginia, Clemson, Miami, Louisville, NC State and Florida State all host regionals. The ACC got a tournament record 10 teams in the tournament. In addition to the six hosts Boston College, Duke, Georgia Tech and Wake Forest made the tournament. And according to ESPN, the first team out was North Carolina. For those that were hoping that Pitt's superior RPI was going to help get them into the tournament earlier this year, North Carolina ended up 19 in the RPI and didn't get in.

I believe the SEC has 7 teams hosting regionals, but only has 7 in the tourney.

If anyone subscribes to DKSports, a couple of weeks back Audrey Snyder, their PSU beat writer who is a total PSU shill, posted an article about how strong the B10 has become in baseball based on the schools' RPIs. I posted a reply calling it another PSU fictional account of how strong their programs are. They were one of 6 B10 schools with RPIs in the top 100. But their RPI was 99 and another B10 school was 100. Only Minnesota was in the top 25. I noted that the ACC and SEC both had, at that time, 7 schools in the top 20 in RPI and i said Rachel conference would get 6 to 8 teams in the field, followed by the PAC 10, with the B10 getting no more than 3. Of course, I was blasted by the PSU faithful.

Well, the ACC got 10 in the field, the SEC 7 and the B10 only 3. As usual, the PSU fans have no idea of how much the B10 is a second tier league in baseball. And they only got 3 in because Nebraska, with an RPI around 70, made a strong run in the tournament. None of the B10 schools is hosting a regional.

That being said, how the hell can BC be good enough to make the tourney and Pitt not? That's not based on Pitt's performance this year, but I think it is an indictment of Jordano's limitations as the coach. The excuse that we can't be better because of our location doesn't wash. If we want to be a strong team in the ACC, we are going to need an upgrade soon.

The Big Ten has gotten a lot better. It has gone from a 1 bid mid-major league to a 2-3 bid league. That's a huge improvement but its still not a very good league.

Of the 16 regional hosts 13 of them are either SEC or ACC schools. Virginia, Clemson, Miami, Louisville, NC State and Florida State all host regionals. The ACC got a tournament record 10 teams in the tournament. In addition to the six hosts Boston College, Duke, Georgia Tech and Wake Forest made the tournament. And according to ESPN, the first team out was North Carolina. For those that were hoping that Pitt's superior RPI was going to help get them into the tournament earlier this year, North Carolina ended up 19 in the RPI and didn't get in.

So the ACC puts 10 teams into the tourney and your takeaway is that we wouldn't have made it with a good RPI because UNC didn't. Interesting.

So the ACC puts 10 teams into the tourney and your takeaway is that we wouldn't have made it with a good RPI because UNC didn't. Interesting.

I believe the only reason UNC didnt make it is because they didnt make the ACCT. With 10 out of 14 getting in, the committee pretty much said without saying if you want to make the NCAAT, you have to make the ACCT. UNC, with an RPI of 19 absolutely should have gotten in.

No, what I am saying is that through about the middle of the season there were people on here who said that even though we had a mediocre record that our high RPI might be enough to get us into the tournament. Then at the end of the season a team with a better record than what we had at the time and who had an RPI of 19 didn't make the tournament. That means that even with a good RPI at the end of the day you still have to have a decent record or you aren't going to make it. You have to win most of the mid-week games against teams like Penn State (or worse yet, Maryland Eastern Shore). You just can't rely on the RPI alone.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT