ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA CHAMPIONSHIPS THREAD

Weight by Weight breakdown of seeds and round 1 matchups:

141: Cole Matthews is the 18 Seed and has 15 Seed Mitch Moore in Round One. These are two 6th year seniors going to their 5th national tournament trying to make one last run. Mitch Moore spent 2 years at VT, 3 at OU and is closing out his career at Rutgers. These two wrestled once in 2020 with Moore winning 4-2. Moore has been up at 149 for the last three seasons so they have not had any opportunities since to face off. This is a pure toss up match to start off the tournament. Moore went 3-3 at Big Tens with all his losses coming to top 10 guys, his 3 wins all came over nation qualifiers and two were with 30 second falls. Matthews has to be ready for something big early and get to his stuff.

149: Finn Solomon is the 31 Seed and had 2 Seed Kyle Parco in round 1. Parco is a 5th year with 1 year left, he started at Fresno State then transferred to ASU when they closed their program down. He has AA in 3 straight seasons and is looking to be a National Champ this season. Parco beat Solomon 9-2 in the dual but Solomon had some moments where he looked close to scoring. I hope Finn can close the gap in this one but I doubt that he is going to be able to sneak the upset from Parco who is just too good.

165: Holden Heller is the 25 Seed and had 8 Seed Antrell Taylor in Rd. 1. Antrell Taylor is a redshirt freshman who is a small 165, that has made a huge jump from year one to year two. He went 3-2 at Big Tens with a Sudden Victory win and a tiebreaker loss. He keeps matches close more often than not. He took 2 questionable losses at CKLV but other than that has only lost to former All Americans and Messenbrink. Holden's season was a series of streaks until ACC's where he went 1-2. Heller has not looked as good as he did at last years NCAAs, but last season he looked middling all year then turned it on at NCAAs. This is a match that Taylor was probably unhappy to see as his opening round and I think an upset could be on the table.

174: Luca Augustine has the 23 seed and is facing the 10 seed Incontrera from UPENN in round 1. Incontrera has had a very good season so far but is coming off a subpar EIWAS where he went 3-2 with all 3 wins coming against non qualifiers. Both him and Luca are on a downward trend coming off of Conferences. I think this is very winnable for Luca and that he should be very happy to be on this bottom side which is INCREDIBLY weak overall. Incontrera has some good wins this year and no bad losses but overall he is 1-4 in his career at NCAAs and the majority of his competiton is in EIWAS which is hard to gauge how it stacks up with the ACC overall. This was a solid draw for Luca.

184: Reece Heller is the 15 seed and has the 18 seed Ryder Rogotzke in round 1. Rogotzke is an absolute loose cannon who cannot be taken lightly in the slightest. Rogotzke has 15 wins by fall this season and some very up and down performances. He has lost to multiple non qualifiers but has wins by fall and tech fall over the 6 and 12 seed at NCAAS. He has also been pinned by a wrestler then majored them in the rematch and won by tech fall then lost by decision. He is a collection of big moves and every match is fire works. I think this will play into Reece's favor. He beat Feldkamp by winning the exchanges for big moves and I think he is more solid than Rgotozke. However, Rogotzke will go for all 7 minutes looking to throw someone to their backs so Heller can not take a second off. This is not a kid you want to see match one at NCAAs and Reece will have to be at his absolute best to stay out of trouble and off his back but if he does that he should win.

197: Mac Stout is the 21 Seed and has 12 seed Rocky Elam in round 1. This is an unfortunate draw for Mac, Rocky has gone 5th, 4th, 3rd in his three NCAA tournaments so far in his career. He has three losses this season, 2 to returning Finalist Tanner Sloan the other to Jacob Cardenas. He is seeded so low because he has hardly wrestled this regular season. However, he looks very good other than that and appears to be at his normal level. Mac would have to pull off a major upset to win this one.

285: Dayton Pitzer is the 21 seed and has 12 seed Konner Doucet. Doucet beat Pitzer 3-0 in the dual. Doucet has struggled in recent weeks and has a very low scoring style. He plans to win matches without ever getting a takedown. Pitzer can definitely take advantage of this and just needs to convert on one of his attacks to bring this one home. Top Bottom is going to be huge and he will need to do well riding timewise to get the win. I think this is about as good of a first match as Pitzer could have gotten based on his seed, he is absolutely capable of pulling this win off.

It depends on who Pitt wants to compete with but more funding to the Pittsburgh Wrestling Club is where it starts and getting or producing wrestlers who are truly competing on the national/international stage.

Evan Petrovich commited. Just took 3rd at States at 145

So is everyone done in the wrestle backs? I’m watching ESPN consolations and see no Pitt wrestlers.

I agree. I think if he were to wrestle Dylan Chappell again he would have a dominant win and probably tech him. Excited to see what he can do in the future.
I doubt that, lol

I was just about to say that I’m very excited about Dylan too but I wouldn’t be making statements like that he’s going to push Haines and Carr when he had 12 losses in the open year. just keep working hard and I’m very excited for the future, let’s just put it at that lol

Reactions: dan15701
I think she had her eyes on Bono who at the time was a hot commodity. He is not doing super well at Wisconsin but had some good years

Reactions: singregardless
Not even his parents think that

Ignorance truly must be bliss. LOL.

Evans has a great demeanor/makeup. Work ethic is there, as is the State champ pedigree. Would not be surprised to see him in a captain role in, like, 2027 if his offensive skill is refined.

That said, he'd last about 45 seconds before David Carr 20 pieces + cradles him.

Reactions: Silkky1982
I just pray overall that they get more offensive and hope they realize that you might lose once in a while from a bad shot but you’ll never win when it matters if your all defensive.i know the coaches realize this and I hope they find a way to get this turned around.

Reactions: Somerset Panther
I think she had her eyes on Bono who at the time was a hot commodity. He is not doing super well at Wisconsin but had some good years
Santoro’s agreement with the search committee included upgrades in assistant salaries, improvements in facilities pending the completion of Victory Heights, a significant role in what the wrestling facilities for Victory Heights would include, and an increased recruiting budget. He and his family are content at Lehigh, and if he was going to come back, it would only be on terms where Pitt was at least competitive nationally.

She said no to much of it not because she wouldn’t spend the money but because she had two others who people had whispered in her ear would be better choices: Bono and Flynn. She scheduled an interview with Flynn, but before it he called Pat and whatever was said caused Flynn to cancel the interview. I understand Bono also cancelled his interview, but don’t know why. Chris Bono now is the coach at Wisconsin where he has had decent results but certainly has not moved them close to being among the conference elite. Reportedly after being turned down by Bono, she took the safe pick in Gavin who was a Pitt guy and an assistant at UVA (I think).

All you have to do is watch Gavin on the sidelines and you should realize that he is not a “closer.” Walt Harris wasn’t either, but he had Paul Rhoads, who was. This staff has nothing resembling a closer.

I don’t think it’s realistic to think this program will overtake PSU. But, PSU was a second tier Big Ten program before Cael. What he has done is remarkable and unparralled in any collegiate sport. He has the facilities, the wrestling club, the staff, the support, everything that could be needed. But, I think what he has more than anything is The Eye. He doesn’t just recruit the best wrestlers in PA, NJ and Ohio. He could, and probably could win occasional national championships, with just them. But, he got Bo Nickel from Texas, Bravo-Young from Arizona, Nick Lee from Indiana, other national champions from California. His prize frosh is from Utah, his home state. And, when he does take a PA kid, he rarely misses: Nico, Vincenzo, Levi Haines, Carter Starrocci.

We can’t find the money or the coach to compete with him. But, we could have found one to compete on an equal footing with NC State, VT, Missouri, Nebraska, etc. And, he was right there in Bethlehem, PA.

Last edited:
Santoro’s agreement with the search committee included upgrades in assistant salaries, improvements in facilities pending the completion of Victory Heights, a significant role in what the wrestling facilities for Victory Heights would include, and an increased recruiting budget. He and his family are content at Lehigh, and if he was going to come back, it would only be on terms where Pitt was at least competitive nationally.

She said no to much of it not because she wouldn’t spend the money but because she had two others who people had whispered in her ear would be better choices: Bono and Flynn. She scheduled an interview with Flynn, but before it he called Pat and whatever was said caused Flynn to cancel the interview. I understand Bono also cancelled his interview, but don’t know why. Chris Bono now is the coach at Wisconsin where he has had decent results but certainly has not moved them close to being among the conference elite. Reportedly after being turned down by Bono, she took the safe pick in Gavin who was a Pitt guy and an assistant at UVA (I think).

All you have to do is watch Gavin on the sidelines and you should realize that he is not a “closer.” Walt Harris wasn’t either, but he had Paul Rhoads, who was. This staff has nothing resembling a closer.

I don’t think it’s realistic to think this program will overtake PSU. But, PSU was a second tier Big Ten program before Cael. What he has done is remarkable and unparralled in any collegiate sport. He has the facilities, the wrestling club, the staff, the support, everything that could be needed. But, I think what he has more than anything is The Eye. He doesn’t just recruit the best wrestlers in PA, NJ and Ohio. He could, and probably could win occasional national championships, with just them. But, he got Bo Nickel from Texas, Bravo-Young from Arizona, Nick Lee from Indiana, other national champions from California. His prize frosh is from Utah, his home state. And, when he does take a PA kid, he rarely misses: Nico, Anthony, Levi Haines, Carter Starrocci.

We can’t find the money or the coach to compete with him. But, we could have found one to compete on an equal footing with NC State, VT, Missouri, Nebraska, etc. And, he was right there in Bethlehem, PA.
And he wanted to be here which is the worst part.

I don’t think it’s realistic to think this program will overtake PSU. But, PSU was a second tier Big Ten program before Cael. What he has done is remarkable and unparralled in any collegiate sport. He has the facilities, the wrestling club, the staff, the support, everything that could be needed. But, I think what he has more than anything is The Eye. He doesn’t just recruit the best wrestlers in PA, NJ and Ohio. He could, and probably could win occasional national championships, with just them. But, he got Bo Nickel from Texas, Bravo-Young from Arizona, Nick Lee from Indiana, other national champions from California. His prize frosh is from Utah, his home state. And, when he does take a PA kid, he rarely misses: Nico, Anthony, Levi Haines, Carter Starrocci.

It’s RTC and NIL money that is making it happen. Donations to PWC pale in comparison to what nlwc brings in. It’s all about rhe RTC $ in todays game and NIL has added to the chaos. . No team has more than 9.9 scholarships, Pitt sports in general, low number of donors donating a low amount of $’s.

Cael does miss. You just do not notice it because he just over recruits the misses. Recent ones are Teasdale, steen and Howard..

This is a pretty good and fair summery.

We went 2-14 against wrestlers who won at least one match. We did manage to go 7-0 against wrestlers who went 0-2. We have no All-Americans. No one made it to the blood round. We will finish, at best, tied for 25th. We scored less than a dozen takedowns in 23 matches. Or what Aaron Brooks calls an average match.

Yesterday, after the 0-7 debacle in the opening round, some posters raised serious questions about Gavin and his staff, both with respect to their coaching and their recruiting. I thought I saw a light at the end of the tunnel. Today, it’s “I like our youth and I like our roster.” It’s “Luca can be a top ten guy if he develops some offense.”

I don’t know if that's true. He doesn’t look like he’s going to ever be much better than he is to me. But, what in the history of Gavin’s years here makes you think he might develop offensively? Cole? Mickey? This tournament? Stout looks like the one redshirt frosh who has offensive potential, but his defense is mediocre.

Hey, I liked some of the WPIAL freshmen I saw wrestle. Ty Watters from North Allegheny. Rocco Welsh from Waynesburg. Both true freshmen and we didn’t lose them to PSU either.
Flynn has been at WVU as long as Gavin has been at Pitt. A program with zero wrestling history or tradition. He has 2 AAs this year. With very limited resources and high academic requirements, Santoro, as usual, has multiple AAs at Lehigh. This year, it’s 3. I don’t see a future AA on Pitt’s roster. Maybe Ant, but then we haven’t seen him wrestle yet.

Little Rock — yes, Little Rock — advanced two wrestlers to the blood round and will finish ahead of us. But, we did beat Columbia by .5 points.

Next year, Stanford will join the ACC. We will be 5th best in a league with 6 scholarship schools. Victory Heights isn’t going to resurrect this program and the lack of Victory Heights isn’t the cause of the decline. It appears most of the posters here are fine with that. In the thread about how Pitt has missed out in every top wrestler in the WPIAL classes of 2024 and 2025, there was a poster who said, in substance, that he was okay with that because our roster is stacked at most of those weights. Our roster may have bodies there but it isn’t stacked with future AAs anywhere except maybe 133 and Hwt, and neither of those is anything close to a sure thing. Yet, there was zero pushback against that post. Does anyone believe we didn’t recruit Welsh because we had Luca or didn’t recruit Watters because Finn was teansferring from UNC?

Today, it seems like all of the problems which were so apparent on Thursday have been forgotten.

As long as there is no pressure on Lyke to make or force changes, she won’t. She has done an excellent job of keeping the good coaches we have here, like Fisher. But, as one poster here wrote on Thursday, her actual hires have, Waldrum excepted, ranged between mediocre and awful. That’s why it was so frustrating when she reneged on the committee’s deal with Santoro. He was a slam dunk.
The search committee has some blame to take with Santoro. From one very important perspective, the presentation to Santoro was not great, with little substantive answers to questions on commitment or vision for the program, and those commitments that you state, such as facilities upgrades, were not made in any concrete fashion. Remember, this is a guy that oversaw his own wrestling facilities upgrades at Lehigh, and even had a vision for the Field House in his head. But on Lyke, Santoro left his interview without even receiving an offer, which was very disappointing and surprising, and that was the nail. Although he was very much interested because there is a competitive ceiling at Lehigh and he is very much a Pitt man, he also had, at the time, very important family ties in Bethlehem that may still have kept him there, and Pitt made his decision to move on very easy on him. It was terrible timing with the AD transition, but Pitt absolutely dropped the ball with blame to go around. Some may remember me posting the same immediately after Santoro's interview. I still hold it to be one of Lyke's biggest whiffs, because I really think Pitt could have had him. However, in retrospect, it probably ended up being personally better for him to have stayed in Bethelehm the last several years, so I think it was for the best for him (not for Pitt).

As much as I'd love Gavin to succeed with him being a Pitt alumni, he was a choice after multiple people, including Flynn, turned Pitt's inquiries down. At some point there is going to have to be a decision made but it probably will come after Victory Heights is opened. But VH or not, there is zero reason Pitt shouldn't expect a program regularly near the top of the ACC.

Last edited:
Would love to see the team place more emphasis on the theatrics of recruiting. I see plenty of schools always putting visuals up where their coaches are that weekend looking for future recruits and having the catchy tag line when a recruit does commit. I used to think that doesn’t matter but the teams that do make the extra effort seem to be getting rewarded. Coach Gavin used to send out a positive tweet or something along those lines but haven’t seen anything recently. I think it shows more at the big picture that the coaching staff are putting in the effort rather looking at it as just a tweet

Random Tournament Thoughts:

VT, which got pretty much wiped out by NC State at the ACCs, had a good tournament, while NC State did not do as well as expected. Some “experts” had picked NC State for 2nd or 3rd. I have never bought into the idea that you can get your team to “peak” at a certain time in wrestling, unlike swimming where it is done all the time. But, maybe there is something to it.

Meanwhile, Cornell finishing second after finishing third last year blows up the argument that you need 21st century facilities, a renowned wrestling club and a billionaire donor to win. I’ve never seen their weight room or their wrestling room but they wrestle in what is no better or bigger than a high school gym. In fact, most high school gyms are nicer.

Yes, they finished 100 points behind PSU, but they beat everyone else.

The other thing we learned from this tournament is that recruiting rankings coming out of high school count. A lot. This is based on Flo Wrestling’s Big Board, which ranks the top 100 recruits without regard to weight class. Of the 80 AAs, only 15 were not Top 100 recruits coming out of high school. No finalists were not in the top 100. In fact, the lowest ranked finalist was #49. The lowest ranked champion was the kid from Northern Iowa who was #14. Only two #1 ranked overall won, but wrestlers ranked in the top 5 were dominant.

Who does the best job of coaching up non-top 10 wrestlers? Not Cael. Everyone of his titalists was ranked in the top 10. Mesenbrink, who finished second was his lowest ranked wrestler at #18. Pat Santoro had 3 AAs and none were ranked in the top 10 in their class. He’s that guy that Heather rejected.

Reactions: Chaos

VT, which got pretty much wiped out by NC State at the ACCs, had a good tournament, while NC State did not do as well as expected. Some “experts” had picked NC State for 2nd or 3rd. I have never bought into the idea that you can get your team to “peak” at a certain time in wrestling, unlike swimming where it is done all the time. But, maybe there is something to it.

Meanwhile, Cornell finishing second after finishing third last year blows up the argument that you need 21st century facilities, a renowned wrestling club and a billionaire donor to win. I’ve never seen their weight room or their wrestling room but they wrestle in what is no better or bigger than a high school gym. In fact, most high school gyms are nicer.

The other thing we learned from this tournament is that recruiting rankings coming out of high school count. A lot. This is based on Flo Wrestling’s Big Board, which ranks the top 100 recruits without regard to weight class. Of the 80 AAs, only 15 were not Top 100 recruits coming out of high school. No finalists were not in the top 100. In fact, the lowest ranked finalist was #49. The lowest ranked champion was the kid from Northern Iowa who was #14. Only two #1 ranked overall won, but wrestlers ranked in the top 5 were dominant.

Who does the best job of coaching up non-top 10 wrestlers? Not Cael. Everyone of his titalists was ranked in the top 10. Mesenbrink, who finished second was his lowest ranked wrestler at #18. Pat Santoro had 3 AAs and none were ranked in the top 10 in their class. He’s that guy that Heather rejected.
That’s very interesting yet painful to hear.

I thought Crookham was a top 10 ranked recruit?

Also of note about Cornell finishing 2nd, they did it with no transfers in addition to everything else you mentioned about them.

Reactions: mike412

Cornell's practice facility is one of the best.

Spartan Combat RTC (formerly Finger Lakes Wrestling Club) is also very good.

To follow that up MIKE as I am definitely in agreement , and I’ve said it in the past regarding the ranking of recruits. we all know there is no exact formula for and guarantee regarding how accurate rankings are, but all of our recent and past success has come from guys ranked in the top hundred coming out of high school. so that’s why I said this, is that our goal should always be Snag one or two guys if possible in the top 50 but the majority of the guys should be in the top 100 and then a guy here and there outside. Yes you always want that guy who you can tell is getting better and better by the year that might be outside the top hundred that you can work with to reach those goals but you can’t have 50% of your team that way, the proof is in the results you posted.

I thought Crookham was a top 10 ranked recruit?

Also of note about Cornell finishing 2nd, they did it with no transfers in addition to everything else you mentioned about them.
They have the advantage of offering a great education which some elite wrestlers want.

I am not sure I have said this before on here but I am not a diehard Pitt fan. I am a PA wrestling fan who roots for the PA kids wherever they are, who also has a few connections to some college coaches in the state, and who enjoys talking wrestling so my perspective is a little different with that said I agree with you on some points and disagree on others. Also, I have been to more UPJ duals than any other program.

Lyke made a mistake with Santoro's deal who would have been a great hire but even if Santoro was hired Pitt is not competing with OSU who has better facilities, coaching staff (they have a 4 timer), history, RTC, and NIL. WVU does not have much of a wrestling history but they made a very good hire in Tim Flynn who was very successful at Edinboro and as long WVU has a coach who cares they will be a player with most SW PA kids because of Akerly and his connection to WVU.

Pitt is very much in danger of slipping further behind in the ACC because of Stanford and because Koll will improve UNC.

With everything I have said I would not bail on Gavin just yet but Pitt has to look at their current assistants and ask if they can do better. Pitt also needs a serious investment into the PWC but I have no idea where that investment comes from.
Define "Serious Investment"...What type of budget would be required to bring things up a level.
What about NIL money to compete on the recruiting trail & portal ?

Not sure how they spend it, but do know they utilize the nlwc on "the back end" with recruits when they dont have scholarship monies to provide.
NLWC finances are much more that PWC and the NIL funds are significant also.

NLWC Revenue is $4,615,955, Expenses are $1,896,573, leaving Net Income at $2,719,382. PWC is probably 1/20th of that number. Can find the NLWC Form 990 online, was not able to find the PWC Form 990 to compare. NLWC has a lot of $ to throw around and use for grey shirts, travel, training, and other items that attract wrestlers.

It takes money, donations and other contributors to make it happen. I spoke with many who have been recruited at Big schools and Big 12 schools, money and other perks have impact. Its the unfortunate landscape of college wrestling and all sports today.

Do you think from the parent perspective of having a kid wrestling already for Pitt, that it would be beneficial for Gavin and Company to may be more vocal/better communication regarding what he needs for this program to take that step, rather than us just just throwing money around and praying to God it’s either enough or goes to the right place?

Without saying too much, Keith knows where they need to improve, communicates well with the boys, has communicated with me also. He has the attention of the team, he knows what it takes, hes been there. I have more I can add, but it would be on a one to one basis and not in print.

Having three on scholarship, two wrestling, comparing what Bucknell has to deal with, who are now fully funded, a great deal of it comes down to $ but also the school, difficulty of the education, and location. Partners are important, but two recruits who turned down Pitt this year when Pitt was in their final 2, it came down to not wanting to be in the city. Many wont want to accept this, but Oakland is not a draw for many as when you look at where a high percentage of wrestlers come from, they come from small towns and not from city schools. In my opinion its hard to recruit to a city school without the draw of a strong RTC like Penn and Columbia.

There always are going to be kids who don’t want the city. I’m sure we never were in the running for either Lawrence brother for example. But, Columbus isn’t a small town and Ohio State gets top kids. I personally think NC State’s campus is the ugliest of all of the southern ACC schools but that coach gets top kids from PA. I doubt there are many kids from Bergen Catholic or St Edward’s that rejected Pitt because of the campus or the city.

A kid like Meyer Shapiro is a kid we should have been in on last year. Were we? I don’t think so. I’m not saying we should have gotten him but we should have been recruiting him. I understand it came down to Penn and Cornell and I don’t think the campus was the deciding factor. I think he is going to win at least two titles.

Kids are going to eliminate particular schools for a variety of reasons, but that can’t be an excuse for not getting one or two top 50 kids every year.

There always are going to be kids who don’t want the city. I’m sure we never were in the running for either Lawrence brother for example. But, Columbus isn’t a small town and Ohio State gets top kids. I personally think NC State’s campus is the ugliest of all of the southern ACC schools but that coach gets top kids from PA. I doubt there are many kids from Bergen Catholic or St Edward’s that rejected Pitt because of the campus or the city.

A kid like Meyer Shapiro is a kid we should have been in on last year. Were we? I don’t think so. I’m not saying we should have gotten him but we should have been recruiting him. I understand it came down to Penn and Cornell and I don’t think the campus was the deciding factor. I think he is going to win at least two titles.

Kids are going to eliminate particular schools for a variety of reasons, but that can’t be an excuse for not getting one or two top 50 kids every year.
I am sure we went after Meyer Shapiro but I doubt he had any interest. He went to Cornell a year early and spent his senior year training there because of the quality of their RTC and training partners (Yianni the biggest one). We currently do not match Cornell's RTC and will never match their education.

We currently do not match Cornell's RTC and will never match their education.
I sometimes wonder how a kid can wrestle at the level that Cornell does but handle the academic rigor. I know that Cornell consists of a privae and state side. Are most of the wrestlers on the state side, which may not be as demanding as the private side? Just wondering.

Define "Serious Investment"...What type of budget would be required to bring things up a level.
What about NIL money to compete on the recruiting trail & portal ?
A wrestling club is a lot like NIL but they have been around longer, you need a strong donor base to fund one properly. The NLWC is head and shoulders above everyone else and they are helped by having a former Penn State wrestler who very wealthy that supports them. They are not a fair comparison to RTC. It takes a hundreds of thousands of dollars to fund an RTC because you are paying these athletes to be a part of the club and you paying for them and coaches to travel around the world to compete unless they are on the world/national team and are competing for team USA. The program gets training partners and coaches for there current wrestlers out of the deal.

The PWC main draw right now is with wrestlers who are looking to return Pittsburgh after there college careers. At the moment they only have 2 guys who are considered in the top 10 at there weight domestically.

IMO the PWC needs more engagement with fans and possible donors.

As for NIL all I hear are mainly rumors about what people are getting and I have been told almost all are inflated. Iowa throws around a ton of money but they are a rabid fan base that is truly desperate to be on top. Most programs are using NIL to make up the difference after the partial scholarship.

I sometimes wonder how a kid can wrestle at the level that Cornell does but handle the academic rigor. I know that Cornell consists of a privae and state side. Are most of the wrestlers on the state side, which may not be as demanding as the private side? Just wondering.
Academic rigor at elite privates are often more about the difficulty getting in than getting a degree.

I guarantee Pitt has programs that are more difficult to get through than Cornell; because I saw it first hand at Penn. There is major incentives at elite privates for not failing students.

And no, at Cornell, some of the colleges in the university are funded by SUNY...like the vet school. The academic programs make a difference in rigor, not whether they receive public funding.

Reactions: 1963Uninvited
Cornell and Dartmouth academically do not compare to the other Ivies. Their academic standing is below schools in New England like Wesleyan, Amherst and Tufts. The Ivy League always has been a 3-tier conference academically, with Harvard, Tale and Princeton at the top, Penn, Columbia and Brown in the middle and Dartmouth and Cornell at the bottom. That being said, the reputation of being an Ivy school helps Cornell’s recruiting a lot and it still is an excellent school.

Back when I first got out of the Army and was still interested in politics, I ran a presidential candidate’s primary campaign in the 14th Congressional district in New York. The district was 95% in Brooklyn, and I lived with a Park Slope, Brooklyn family with two attorneys, Paul & Maida Asofsky, who were big in the progressive wing of the Democratic Party, which was then nothing more than a thorn in the side of the in-control regular Democrats. Their oldest son, Dean, had just finished his freshman year at Cornell and he told me it had been easier than his senior year at Stuyvesant, a public but very selective high school across the East River in Lower Manhattan.

Dean graduated very high in his class at Cornell, but was not accepted by Harvard, Yale or Penn law schools. They just didn’t take Cornell graduates. He went to NYU Law School and has had an outstanding subsequent professional career.

And no, at Cornell, some of the colleges in the university are funded by SUNY...like the vet school. The academic programs make a difference in rigor, not whether they receive public funding.
Not quite sure I understand this last part. Does it mean that some of the state programs at Cornell can be more demanding than programs on the private side?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT