ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA CHAMPIONSHIPS THREAD

Not quite sure I understand this last part. Does it mean that some of the state programs at Cornell can be more demanding than programs on the private side?
No, it means that private or public funding of academic programs has zero to do with any academic rigor.

The main thing is the program itself. A chemical engineering degree is going to be more challenging than film studies degree. It just is. This is why you see so many Pitt athletes in communications or administrate justice instead of physics and neuroscience.

And the culture of a university, school, or department, will also play into how difficult an academic program will be.

But whether or not a program is partially funded by the state will have zilch to do with it.

The Vet School at Cornell is a statutory college of the state of NY, but I guarantee getting a Cornell vet degree is one of the most challenging degrees to obtain in all of the Ivy.

Last edited:
No, it means that private or public funding of academic programs has zero to do with any academic rigor.

The main thing is the program itself. A chemical engineering degree is going to be more challenging than film studies degree. It just is.
So if the chemical engineering program is on the state side and film studies on the private side, the state side program is more demanding than the private side program.

So if the chemical engineering program is on the state side and film studies on the private side, the state side program is more demanding than the private side program.
Yes.

Cornell has 16 colleges, only 4 of which are SUNYs, and those are the vet school (no undergrad degrees), Ag school, Human Ecology, and Labor relations.

Yes, Cornell is the butt of jokes in the Ivy, but the SUNY relation of those 4 schools doesn't impact the rigor or quality of Cornell one iota.

Every school has easier majors to slide athletes into if needed...except maybe MIT or CalTech or similar places that really don't have liberal arts degree programs.

Reactions: Shomeydamonee
Santoro’s agreement with the search committee included upgrades in assistant salaries, improvements in facilities pending the completion of Victory Heights, a significant role in what the wrestling facilities for Victory Heights would include, and an increased recruiting budget. He and his family are content at Lehigh, and if he was going to come back, it would only be on terms where Pitt was at least competitive nationally.

She said no to much of it not because she wouldn’t spend the money but because she had two others who people had whispered in her ear would be better choices: Bono and Flynn. She scheduled an interview with Flynn, but before it he called Pat and whatever was said caused Flynn to cancel the interview. I understand Bono also cancelled his interview, but don’t know why. Chris Bono now is the coach at Wisconsin where he has had decent results but certainly has not moved them close to being among the conference elite. Reportedly after being turned down by Bono, she took the safe pick in Gavin who was a Pitt guy and an assistant at UVA (I think).

All you have to do is watch Gavin on the sidelines and you should realize that he is not a “closer.” Walt Harris wasn’t either, but he had Paul Rhoads, who was. This staff has nothing resembling a closer.

I don’t think it’s realistic to think this program will overtake PSU. But, PSU was a second tier Big Ten program before Cael. What he has done is remarkable and unparralled in any collegiate sport. He has the facilities, the wrestling club, the staff, the support, everything that could be needed. But, I think what he has more than anything is The Eye. He doesn’t just recruit the best wrestlers in PA, NJ and Ohio. He could, and probably could win occasional national championships, with just them. But, he got Bo Nickel from Texas, Bravo-Young from Arizona, Nick Lee from Indiana, other national champions from California. His prize frosh is from Utah, his home state. And, when he does take a PA kid, he rarely misses: Nico, Vincenzo, Levi Haines, Carter Starrocci.

We can’t find the money or the coach to compete with him. But, we could have found one to compete on an equal footing with NC State, VT, Missouri, Nebraska, etc. And, he was right there in Bethlehem, PA.
Much of this is inaccurate. Flynn and Bono both interviewed at Pitt among other things like we had plans to renovate the Fitz not build a new arena.

We focus on the top teams such as PSU and Cornell.

Someone I feel overlooked in the ACC that had an amazing year...VT.

They have really taken off the last 10 years. Not familiar with what drives their success.

This year finished 7th in NCAA as team.
1 National Champion
4 AA
10 NQ for second year in row.

Decent amount of PA guys as well as NJ and OH. Only one WPIAL I see Mac Church from Waynesburg.

Reactions: Chaos

This one I found the most eye opening. It is a list of what rtc/wrestling clubs are bringing in. PWC isn’t listed, there are a few not listed, but I would imagine the PWC is probably around where WVU rtc is.

Reactions: singregardless
I guess it makes sense, especially the overall non rtc numbers, we are 23rd and we finish every year right around there. We need to do better but I’m just always curious that you never see any emails or anything stating how you know we need to try to hit this goal for the year please we need all the help we can get. you know like these coaches like I said, they’re like quite as can be, and Just want to keep moving forward with the same issues. I know Leigh is where they are because they don’t have a football and basketball program that needs as much funding and NL money as Pitt does but it’s ridiculous that they are that much higher than us. I still think that we need coaching changes whatever that means obviously, I’m not in charge. but we need somebody who is aggressive and demands more from Pitt admin and it’s followers.

Reactions: Chaos
I guess it makes sense, especially the overall non rtc numbers, we are 23rd and we finish every year right around there. We need to do better but I’m just always curious that you never see any emails or anything stating how you know we need to try to hit this goal for the year please we need all the help we can get. you know like these coaches like I said, they’re like quite as can be, and Just want to keep moving forward with the same issues. I know Leigh is where they are because they don’t have a football and basketball program that needs as much funding and NL money as Pitt does but it’s ridiculous that they are that much higher than us. I still think that we need coaching changes whatever that means obviously, I’m not in charge. but we need somebody who is aggressive and demands more from Pitt admin and it’s followers.
I have gotten those emails and donated, maybe you’re not on the email list for some reason. This year the emails have been coming from Nino. He gives a good update on things and each email has had the link to donate. It’s pretty simple to do. The link to donate is right on the pwc website. www.pwcrtc.com

I’ve also seen posts on this forum from Nish, who I know is a big contributor to the program, advocating for this.

NIL through the pwc would essentially give the team more scholarships to offer so it’s obvious that’s the need/benefit. Looking at what the NLWC is bringing in, no wonder they have such good depth.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT