ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Soccer Tournament

mike412

Head Coach
Gold Member
Jul 1, 2001
Santa Monica, CA
They need to find something to replace PKs in the tournament. It’s getting ridiculous.

In the men’s tournament, both Clemson and ND penalty kicked their way to the semis, and then —surprise — Clemson won on PKs.

If you saw the Clemson vs #1 Oregon State match, Clemson, which can play exciting soccer, parked the bus and waited for PKs, which they won. I wanted to see Oregon State and instead I saw 8 Clemson players in their own box every time Oregon State crossed midfield.

In the women’s tournament, of the 15 matches played from the Sweet Sixteen on, 11 of them were decided by PKs. FSU won one match without going to PKs and ended up winning the championship.

I honestly don’t know what the answer is, but I would prefer a duel between the coaches with paintball guns to this.

I agree. I hate that such important games come down to PKs. They could go the hockey route and decrease the # of players on the field in OT. I think they should just keep playing until someone scores.

They need to find something to replace PKs in the tournament. It’s getting ridiculous.

In the men’s tournament, both Clemson and ND penalty kicked their way to the semis, and then —surprise — Clemson won on PKs.

If you saw the Clemson vs #1 Oregon State match, Clemson, which can play exciting soccer, parked the bus and waited for PKs, which they won. I wanted to see Oregon State and instead I saw 8 Clemson players in their own box every time Oregon State crossed midfield.

In the women’s tournament, of the 15 matches played from the Sweet Sixteen on, 11 of them were decided by PKs. FSU won one match without going to PKs and ended up winning the championship.

I honestly don’t know what the answer is, but I would prefer a duel between the coaches with paintball guns to this.

3 of the 4 Elite 8 matches went to PK's. I hate PK's as it is. I wished NCAA soccer used something different, like maybe taking 1-2 players off the field....or at the very least, extending OT to 2 15 minute periods in the post-season.

Keep playing until someone scores. Give extra subs and just keep playing until they all pass out.

I'd like to see FIFA and the NCAA look into this....within reason. Extra subs, perhaps in FIFA, allowing players to come back in after like the 120th minute, something like that. Hate to see games decided by a coin flip. And stupidly, college football has gone the coin flip route.

They could start by fixing the ridiculous offside rule that would lead to slightly more goal scoring. In the women’s final, BYU scored a great goal that was nullified because the attacking player’s hand was ahead of the defender. I have griped about this for years because in every other sport the advantage goes to the offense; however in soccer the defense has the advantage. I know FIFA will never change, but there’s no reason the NCAA can’t change.

Reactions: mike412
I think if teams knew they were going to play until someone wins, the play would open up. Now, teams practice PKs and rely on them to win. Yesterday was the 5th time ND has gone to PKs and I read that the one they missed against Clemson was the first one they missed. (Well maybe Pitt doesn’t practice them based on what we saw.) Teams play really tight with PKs.
Maybe they would open up more if they knew they would have to keep playing until someone scores.

I like the idea of dropping players in OT. The game would necessarily open up more.

Maybe they would open up more if they knew they would have to keep playing until someone scores.

Maybe that would be the case, but the fact of the matter is that the reason that they put penalties in in the first place is because in practice that isn't what actually happened. As the game went longer and longer and the players got tireder and tireder what actually happened is that the games became almost completely defensive, because no one wanted to make the mistake that led to the game winning goal for the other side.

Agree with the OP, it’s getting ridiculous. id be in favor of in the first OT, no offsides and in the second taking one person off the field to create more space . Then PK’s.

id be in favor of in the first OT, no offsides

A soccer game with no offsides would become defensive to a ridiculous degree, because every team would always leave several players back in their own half to combat potential "cherry pickers", which means that teams would have fewer players in the offensive half of the field when they have the ball. The game would turn into teams just bombing the ball down the field hoping that one of the players they left in the offensive half of the field would out play one of the players that the defensive team left in their half of the field to gain possession of the ball.

Move the shot back to the 18, so it takes some skill to hit the net, and the goalie has a chance to stop it without getting lucky,

Reactions: mike412
Actually got to see soccer played in the Clemson vs Washington final. Remember last year Washington parked the bus against us and Clemson did the same this year against Oregon State.

In the final, Clemson scored in the first minute after one of the worst foul ups you can imagine by Washington on what appeared to be a harmless long clearance. That forced Washington out of any possible shell and Clemson scored again 14 minutes later. Last year, after we scored against Washington and they had to attack to try to get even, we scored two more goals in the last two minutes.

Clemson went into a shell in the second half, but at least there was 45 minutes of actual soccer played.

Actually got to see soccer played in the Clemson vs Washington final. Remember last year Washington parked the bus against us and Clemson did the same this year against Oregon State.

In the final, Clemson scored in the first minute after one of the worst foul ups you can imagine by Washington on what appeared to be a harmless long clearance. That forced Washington out of any possible shell and Clemson scored again 14 minutes later. Last year, after we scored against Washington and they had to attack to try to get even, we scored two more goals in the last two minutes.

Clemson went into a shell in the second half, but at least there was 45 minutes of actual soccer played.

Washington played us pretty well last year. Was more impressed with them than Indiana. Surprised this game didnt go to PK's.

I didn't think Clemson was that great this year but credit to them. Oh what could have been.

Washington played us pretty well last year. Was more impressed with them than Indiana. Surprised this game didnt go to PK's.

I didn't think Clemson was that great this year but credit to them. Oh what could have been.

It would have gone to PKs if it had not been for that insane first minute goal. That just changed everything. Clemson played such a park the bus game against Oregon State that I fully expected them to do the same thing against Washington. Then, boom, a long clearance misplayed and the ball is in the net. Washington started pressing immediately and Clemson saw the opportunity to counter and suddenly it was 2-0.

I disagree with you about Washington last year. Absent an egregious defensive error, I don’t think they would have scored against us if the game was 180 minutes. They had trouble stringing together more than two passes. And, once we got the first goal there were huge gaps in their defense. I texted my brother that we were going to get two more goals. I just didn’t know one was going to come on a strike from midfield. Indiana had much more speed up front than Washington, and that was what got them a goal.

It would have gone to PKs if it had not been for that insane first minute goal. That just changed everything. Clemson played such a park the bus game against Oregon State that I fully expected them to do the same thing against Washington. Then, boom, a long clearance misplayed and the ball is in the net. Washington started pressing immediately and Clemson saw the opportunity to counter and suddenly it was 2-0.

I disagree with you about Washington last year. Absent an egregious defensive error, I don’t think they would have scored against us if the game was 180 minutes. They had trouble stringing together more than two passes. And, once we got the first goal there were huge gaps in their defense. I texted my brother that we were going to get two more goals. I just didn’t know one was going to come on a strike from midfield. Indiana had much more speed up front than Washington, and that was what got them a goal.

Indiana did have 2 good forwards but I was impressed with Washington. Don't get me wrong, I thought we were significantly better but I thought they were as good as many ACC teams. Indiana, I thought would have been one of the weaker teams in the ACC. And they did draw St. Francis Brooklyn in the 1st Round, needing PK's to advance. I know that's just 1 game but still.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT