ADVERTISEMENT

ND Prez and AD: College athletics in crisis

What I find funny about this is:
1) how do businesses, especially like a United Airlines benefit from paying Jordan Addison an NIL? What extra revenue is he bringing in? I can see in Bugtussle Alabama, Red's Guns, Gasoline and Eats, pay some Alabama player, because people make buying decisions based on that.

2) How on god's green earth can they not say and find some of these as strictly "pay for play". I mean Name, Image and Likeness really meant if Terrelle Pryor or Johnny Manziel wanted to sell autographed jerseys and keep the money, they could. Or if some local dealer wants to give the star QB free use of a vehicle. Or video games are sold and use players names and likenesses. Or You Tube channels and appearances. But these are straight up payments to play for the school.

3) And...in that case, shouldn't they have a contract? And if there is a contract, I imagine the businesses or individuals giving out NIL's would have some language in there in regards "opting out" or leaving early.

It's so obvious........it is like these things are Hunter Biden's laptop and we say "okay, really nothing interesting to see here."

It's pay for play. These college athletes are professionals now. That isn't debatable.

Reactions: USN_Panther
What I find funny about this is:
1) how do businesses, especially like a United Airlines benefit from paying Jordan Addison an NIL? What extra revenue is he bringing in? I can see in Bugtussle Alabama, Red's Guns, Gasoline and Eats, pay some Alabama player, because people make buying decisions based on that.

2) How on god's green earth can they not say and find some of these as strictly "pay for play". I mean Name, Image and Likeness really meant if Terrelle Pryor or Johnny Manziel wanted to sell autographed jerseys and keep the money, they could. Or if some local dealer wants to give the star QB free use of a vehicle. Or video games are sold and use players names and likenesses. Or You Tube channels and appearances. But these are straight up payments to play for the school.

3) And...in that case, shouldn't they have a contract? And if there is a contract, I imagine the businesses or individuals giving out NIL's would have some language in there in regards "opting out" or leaving early.

It's so obvious........it is like these things are Hunter Biden's laptop and we say "okay, really nothing interesting to see here."
I'm more likely to avoid a business if some player from Miami, State Penn, Hoopies, ND are advertising it. Addison doesn't make anyone more likely to fly United. Really....umm, "I get a better price and reasonable layover with American, but I'll pay extra and take a red-eye on United because Jordan Addison got NIL" said no one ever.

The ACC made two critical mistakes in the past. One, the horrendous and lenthly tv deal. Second, not giving ND an ultamadum to join the conference. ND would have needed to decide if earning millions more in the ACC outweights them being independent, and without a conference for all sports. With ND in the ACC, the conference than would have had some leverage to bring in other programs like Texas, USC, etc. Not saying it would have happened, but a possibility.

I could see (as in a 1% chance) ND joining a small football only conference to increase their per school revenue. Their next deal is going to bring in $60 million per year. That will be $10 million less than what each Big Ten team will bring in per year, so in other words... still not enough. The ACC contract is an issue, but I could see an attempt made by ND, FSU, Miami, Oregon, NC and perhaps Stanford to form a 6 (or 8 with Pitt!) team conference and try to negotiate a deal that would bring each school more than $60 annually, and that would just be for football.

If it were 8 teams, then ND, Pitt, FSU, Miami, Oregon, North Carolina, Washington, Stanford (or WVU or Virginia Tech).

But the problem here is that ND could call up the Big Ten tomorrow and get in on their deal and earn more.

And... the ACC isn't going to do anything. Several schools, like Wake, Duke, GT, Cuse and BC likely feel lucky to be getting the revenue they are getting. Then schools like FSU, Miami, Clemson and maybe NC likely are looking at the SEC or Big. So that leaves who... Pitt, Cuse, Louisville and some others to actually want to make things better and avoid getting left behind? Most schools in the ACC are not going to listen. Good. Luck.
An ultimatum would have gained the ACC absolutely nothing.

It would not matter if that ultimatum came in 2012, 2020, 2022, or next week.

ND was never going to join the ACC in full, no matter what. That was never a real option for ND.

It would have put its other sports in the Big East or called the Big 12 about a partial membership.

Failing all of that, ND would have joined the Big Ten in full instead of the ACC. $$$$$$

Maybe having ND leave the ACC would have been some sort of victory for the latter, but I doubt the networks would have seen it like that.

If ND is serious about their feelings and want to preserve the purity of amateurism, they should prohibit students from receiving NIL funding. Be that beacon of light for the unwashed.
That is illegal restraint of trade. See the Alston decision.

Exactly. Pay for Play. I mean it is plain as day. Obvious. That is why I do support Baker in his comments. But it is so overtly obvious and the NCAA is so weak and feckless.

Well, any deal with a real, public company, isnt pay for play because those companies' shareholders are not going to allow them to pay anything more than the market rate. United Airlines shareholders have never heard of Jordan Addison and dont care about USC football. So they had to pay him pocket change. The pay for play is coming from booster collectives and fanboys who own companies. I am all for pay for play but the NCAA still considers it a violation of amateurism so as long as they still have that rule, I think they need to enforce it.

Well, any deal with a real, public company, isnt pay for play because those companies' shareholders are not going to allow them to pay anything more than the market rate. United Airlines shareholders have never heard of Jordan Addison and dont care about USC football. So they had to pay him pocket change. The pay for play is coming from booster collectives and fanboys who own companies. I am all for pay for play but the NCAA still considers it a violation of amateurism so as long as they still have that rule, I think they need to enforce it.
You are telling me what I already exactly know.

That is illegal restraint of trade. See the Alston decision.
I'm not a lawyer but acting as an individual school may not be a problem since the kids could choose to go elsewhere. No different than an employee that doesn't like the benefits where they work. Maybe not but ND could certainly make a run at it in court if they wanted to test the limits of their high-minded ideology.

I have been predicting this would happen for like the past 10 years whenever this is brought up about paying players. It is the absolutely dumbest thing imaginable. The only thing that hasnt happened yet that I predicted, is that the Universities will soon be hemorrhaging money in the athletic areas, and facilities will get worse in the majority of programs because the donor monies, instead of going to the schools (and perhaps 50k or so to a player here and there), will be depleted and most of the money will be going to help your school NIL land players (which again, is dumb since all of us will still be huge Pitt fans with or without Johnny 5 star). Anyways, still think this will happen in years to come if things dont change.

All that should happen, is all jersey sales, tshirt sales, video game sales with the players likeness, etc, should go back to the players. NCAA '24 video game revenue should be shared by the players evenly whether you are a ball state player or an Alabama player. If the SEC wants to make their own video game system, ok... go at it. Personally, I have never bought a Pitt player shirt unless it was from long ago (Marino, Ditka, Dorsett), and I would never buy a player shirt, as most adult men and women wouldnt. But hey, if people do, then that player should earn a few bucks from the sale. They can sell autographs, or whatever also, if it is through the NCAA. I dont think 3rd party contracts of NCAA students should be a thing, too open for shenanigans.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
I have been predicting this would happen for like the past 10 years whenever this is brought up about paying players. It is the absolutely dumbest thing imaginable. The only thing that hasnt happened yet that I predicted, is that the Universities will soon be hemorrhaging money in the athletic areas, and facilities will get worse in the majority of programs because the donor monies, instead of going to the schools (and perhaps 50k or so to a player here and there), will be depleted and most of the money will be going to help your school NIL land players (which again, is dumb since all of us will still be huge Pitt fans with or without Johnny 5 star). Anyways, still think this will happen in years to come if things dont change.

All that should happen, is all jersey sales, tshirt sales, video game sales with the players likeness, etc, should go back to the players. NCAA '24 video game revenue should be shared by the players evenly whether you are a ball state player or an Alabama player. If the SEC wants to make their own video game system, ok... go at it. Personally, I have never bought a Pitt player shirt unless it was from long ago (Marino, Ditka, Dorsett), and I would never buy a player shirt, as most adult men and women wouldnt. But hey, if people do, then that player should earn a few bucks from the sale. They can sell autographs, or whatever also, if it is through the NCAA. I dont think 3rd party contracts of NCAA students should be a thing, too open for shenanigans.
There's still going to be a level of donor who wants their name on a building or wing of a building, facilities won't take that big of a hit.

Also, there's going to be a breaking point with the schmucks throwing money at NIL deals, they'll be more busts of highly recruited players than break out stars, in a few years there's going to be an attitude at a lot of programs of "why am I forking over this money, for a bench warmer or someone cut/forced from the team".

ND Prez and AD wrote and Op Ed for the NY Times today saying college athletics is at a crisis point, and if there is not some legislation and NIL is not reigned in with better rules, then college athletics as we know it will be over in the next few years.

Called upon the NFL and NBA to build minor league systems or allow players in after high school for players that don't want to earn an education and can go professional.

Also on a podcast this morning said it looks like the BIG 10 and SEC will be the perceptive top leagues in college athletics and it will be everyone else (which I find funny because they cna have ND join the ACC and help level the playing field).

I agree with some of what they wrote, but also just laugh at other parts as they, along with almost all university and conference leaders have lead the sport down this path, and outside of a few, they are scared of it now.
To sum this up:

There's still going to be a level of donor who wants their name on a building or wing of a building, facilities won't take that big of a hit.

Also, there's going to be a breaking point with the schmucks throwing money at NIL deals, they'll be more busts of highly recruited players than break out stars, in a few years there's going to be an attitude at a lot of programs of "why am I forking over this money, for a bench warmer or someone cut/forced from the team".

That Tennessee QB may make or break the system.

If the ND President and AD are desperate enough to plea for divine intervention from the legislature, that truly tells us they know TV viewing college sports are on the verge of crumbling. It’s great.
The pol’s are not going to bail them out. I do find it somewhat shocking that they have in essence given up on the courts. They obviously realize their position has no merit. So, in other words the NCAA is dead. It can’t issue rules - the courts will simply throw them out.
And if they are so desperate to plead for the NFL to create a “minor league”, holy crap… they just signed their own death sentence.

If the ND President and AD are desperate enough to plea for divine intervention from the legislature, that truly tells us they know TV viewing college sports are on the verge of crumbling. It’s great.
The pol’s are not going to bail them out. I do find it somewhat shocking that they have in essence given up on the courts. They obviously realize their position has no merit. So, in other words the NCAA is dead. It can’t issue rules - the courts will simply throw them out.
And if they are so desperate to plead for the NFL to create a “minor league”, holy crap… they just signed their own death sentence.
You know, one of these XFL, USFL leagues up their ante, they can start picking off college players. While I think this NIL stuff is good for college basketball, it may not be good long term for football.

If this isn’t the pot calling the kettle black.
Call it what you will, it's true.

The ND people aren't the only ones who think so.

As Chuck Barkley said yesterday, NIL and the portal have put the finishing touches on destroying what had long been a beautiful thing. As he said, without drastic interventions, in 5 years,. there will be maybe 20-25 programs that are relevant enough to command TV contracts etc. The rest might as well discontinue their athletic programs.

Actions always speak the loudest.

And if there is any action from ND’s leadership, exactly what will it be?

Something that they’ll do to try to improve college athletics? Or something they’ll try to do to improve JUST ND?
Hypocrisy, thy real name is Notre Dame.

Call it what you will, it's true.

The ND people aren't the only ones who think so.

As Chuck Barkley said yesterday, NIL and the portal have put the finishing touches on destroying what had long been a beautiful thing. As he said, without drastic interventions, in 5 years,. there will be maybe 20-25 programs that are relevant enough to command TV contracts etc. The rest might as well discontinue their athletic programs.
Barkley admitted to receiving cash in college so I sort of fail to see the difference.

Barkley admitted to receiving cash in college so I sort of fail to see the difference.

I think it's pretty clear. Barkley thinks that people breaking the rules and cheating is way better than people doing what the rules allow.

Well, either that or Barkley is a hypocrite, one or the other.

Reactions: pittdan77
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT