ADVERTISEMENT

ND Prez and AD: College athletics in crisis

ThePanthers

Head Coach
May 4, 2009

ND Prez and AD wrote and Op Ed for the NY Times today saying college athletics is at a crisis point, and if there is not some legislation and NIL is not reigned in with better rules, then college athletics as we know it will be over in the next few years.

Called upon the NFL and NBA to build minor league systems or allow players in after high school for players that don't want to earn an education and can go professional.

Also on a podcast this morning said it looks like the BIG 10 and SEC will be the perceptive top leagues in college athletics and it will be everyone else (which I find funny because they cna have ND join the ACC and help level the playing field).

I agree with some of what they wrote, but also just laugh at other parts as they, along with almost all university and conference leaders have lead the sport down this path, and outside of a few, they are scared of it now.

Reactions: PantherDDS

ND Prez and AD wrote and Op Ed for the NY Times today saying college athletics is at a crisis point, and if there is not some legislation and NIL is not reigned in with better rules, then college athletics as we know it will be over in the next few years.

Called upon the NFL and NBA to build minor league systems or allow players in after high school for players that don't want to earn an education and can go professional.

Also on a podcast this morning said it looks like the BIG 10 and SEC will be the perceptive top leagues in college athletics and it will be everyone else (which I find funny because they cna have ND join the ACC and help level the playing field).

I agree with some of what they wrote, but also just laugh at other parts as they, along with almost all university and conference leaders have lead the sport down this path, and outside of a few, they are scared of it now.

Every NIL deal reported to an NCAA panel of marketing experts. That panel decides what is the fair market value for a college football or basketball player to do charity work or commericals on YouTube seen by only 3000 people. Any amount paid over fair market value is determined to be pay for play. Easy.

Actions always speak the loudest.

And if there is any action from ND’s leadership, exactly what will it be?

Something that they’ll do to try to improve college athletics? Or something they’ll try to do to improve JUST ND?

Every NIL deal reported to an NCAA panel of marketing experts. That panel decides what is the fair market value for a college football or basketball player to do charity work or commericals on YouTube seen by only 3000 people. Any amount paid over fair market value is determined to be pay for play. Easy.
The only way to make that work would be for the universities to change the players from students to employees, allow them to form a union and add in the kind of protections that you talk about into the collective bargaining agreement. I'm in favor of doing just that. Doubt it will happen any time soon though.

Reactions: happjack and CJsE
ND can't help the ACC now.

And why would a good player coming out of high school play in an NFL minor league when they ban earn much more in college? In fact, some players will earn more in college if there skills don't transfer over.

Why are those sailors swimming to the rescue boat and not over to the sinking ship?

It's too late. College athletics as we know it, or at least as I knew it growing up and being in college, is already over.

Yeah it would be great if the NFL and NBA get minor leagues (well the NBA has already done that), but there are a million things the colleges themselves can do if they want to make student-athletes students first -- limit practice time dramatically more than it is currently limited, get rid of weekday games, etc.

Last edited:
Eh. I think if ND joined the ACC it wouldn't be a sinking ship anymore.

Sure it would. The ACC still has a sh*t tv deal for many more years to come, and even renegotiating with ND in won't level the per school revenue.

The only way out that I see is to abandon the ACC in football and form a smaller football only league with a high per school TV revenue deal.

Or all schools not in the SEC and Big Ten just refuse to participate with those conferences for all sports.

So ND is complaining that others are now allowed to exist in the world they once solely owned? I get it.

Eh. I think if ND joined the ACC it wouldn't be a sinking ship anymore.
Adding ND would not come close to closing the gap in television revenue over the next 7-8 years with the B1G and SEC. Two conferences that would gladly accept ND into their fold for even greater revenue disparity than is already growing.

Should ND join the ACC to maybe push revenue to $50-60 million per year or the SEC or B1G for $90-100+ million in 2024 and beyond? We'd crucify Pitt for making the wrong decision if it were our own school.

If this isn’t the pot calling the kettle black.
100% correct. They have flourished with their TV deals in the past, now they are worried because NIL is killing their basketball program, and they are realizing the pot of gold for their football TV contract is going away. If they were smart they would join the ACC now, where they would still have some what of a competitive advantage in football. If they join the SEC they will get eaten alive and if they join the Big Ten they would become the Penn State of the West devision, always ending with 2 or 3 losses a year.

Adding ND would not come close to closing the gap in television revenue over the next 7-8 years with the B1G and SEC. Two conferences that would gladly accept ND into their fold for even greater revenue disparity than is already growing.

Should ND join the ACC to maybe push revenue to $50-60 million per year or the SEC or B1G for $90-100+ million in 2024 and beyond? We'd crucify Pitt for making the wrong decision if it were our own school.

The ACC made two critical mistakes in the past. One, the horrendous and lenthly tv deal. Second, not giving ND an ultamadum to join the conference. ND would have needed to decide if earning millions more in the ACC outweights them being independent, and without a conference for all sports. With ND in the ACC, the conference than would have had some leverage to bring in other programs like Texas, USC, etc. Not saying it would have happened, but a possibility.

I could see (as in a 1% chance) ND joining a small football only conference to increase their per school revenue. Their next deal is going to bring in $60 million per year. That will be $10 million less than what each Big Ten team will bring in per year, so in other words... still not enough. The ACC contract is an issue, but I could see an attempt made by ND, FSU, Miami, Oregon, NC and perhaps Stanford to form a 6 (or 8 with Pitt!) team conference and try to negotiate a deal that would bring each school more than $60 annually, and that would just be for football.

If it were 8 teams, then ND, Pitt, FSU, Miami, Oregon, North Carolina, Washington, Stanford (or WVU or Virginia Tech).

But the problem here is that ND could call up the Big Ten tomorrow and get in on their deal and earn more.

And... the ACC isn't going to do anything. Several schools, like Wake, Duke, GT, Cuse and BC likely feel lucky to be getting the revenue they are getting. Then schools like FSU, Miami, Clemson and maybe NC likely are looking at the SEC or Big. So that leaves who... Pitt, Cuse, Louisville and some others to actually want to make things better and avoid getting left behind? Most schools in the ACC are not going to listen. Good. Luck.

Last edited:
Notre Dame just hired a basketball coach yesterday for $4M a year for 7 years, and to hire him away from his old school they likely had to make commitments for an annual NIL pool approaching a million dollars a year.

So this op-ed rings a little hollow.

Reactions: Black_Man_Panther
Why in the world would ND, FSU, Miami, Oregon, North Carolina, Washington, and Stanford agree to split the pie with Pitt?

Replace Pitt with Clemson and this idea makes more sense, but still highly unlikely.

They wouldn't. It's mostly wishful thinking from me. Though football wise, what makes NC better than Pitt?

Reactions: singregardless
the domers aren't getting enough money. plain and simple'. It's always been about the money. larger stadium,exclusive TV deal with then, GE. making your own side deals with ACC. the powers to at ND can't get a handle NIL. therefore they are calling for outside help.. things are always better when gubmint gets involved.

It's too late. College athletics as we know it, or at least as I knew it growing up and being in college, is already over.

Yeah it would be great if the NFL and NBA get minor leagues (well the NBA has already done that), but there are a million things the colleges themselves can do if they want to make student-athletes students first -- limit practice time dramatically more than it is currently limited, get rid of weekday games, etc.
Yes. It is definitely too late for football, just a matter of time for the likes of Pitt to drop behind or out from the big players. Basketball likely as well.

Again, they are just pissed that they can no longer have their cake and eat it too. Their own TV Network. A conference that willingly houses the rest of their sports. Independence in football yet treated like a P5 Conference Champion.

Now these mega conferences and money takes away their power and exposes college sports for what it is, a money grab (which they have been doing first). LOL

Reactions: Pittisit4me
This is just another of your insane ideas, right?

HAHAHAHA YA OK…….. Hey Coach I know you have 300K for little Jimmy be he can only take 10K. Oh ok we will donate the other 290K to the library We will most definitely not hand it to him in the parking lot.

Reactions: USN_Panther

add ND, remaining PAC and some B12 teams. Make and East vs west championship game

P
Actions always speak the loudest.

And if there is any action from ND’s leadership, exactly what will it be?

Something that they’ll do to try to improve college athletics? Or something they’ll try to do to improve JUST ND?
People say what makes them look good in the eyes of others. They do what pleases themselves. Rarely do the two match.

Reactions: PittMan 72
The only way to make that work would be for the universities to change the players from students to employees, allow them to form a union and add in the kind of protections that you talk about into the collective bargaining agreement. I'm in favor of doing just that. Doubt it will happen any time soon though.
NM

HAHAHAHA YA OK…….. Hey Coach I know you have 300K for little Jimmy be he can only take 10K. Oh ok we will donate the other 290K to the library We will most definitely not hand it to him in the parking lot.

Correct. Need to go back to bags in the parking lot. If an NIL deal with the local sandwich shop is only worth 10K but they want to pay you 300K because the owner is a rich alum fanboy, you can only accept 10K and stay eligible. If you take the additional 290, that's pay for play. You can take it but you lose eligibility. So if you want it, gotta get it in a bag.

Funny thread. This has been beaten like a dead horse. We all know college athletics is in serious trouble and is a cesspool and some changes need to be made before it gets worse. And it can get worse. This NIL garbage is ridiculous. Call it what it is. The kids are professional athletes now, not "student-athletes". They will indeed be employees of the universities. Universities need to pay them salaries and provide free healthcare for them if this is the way it is. Until some serious changes are made to return to these athletes being true student-athletes, I find myself not caring too much about it like I don't care about the NFL or NBA.

The only solution would be no recruiting, no scholarships, make it a student activity, the teams are whoever is a regular student and shows up for tryouts, make it all D3 like. Pay a gym teacher $100K per year to be the coach. If you don't want to go to that extreme, then be like the Ivy League.

Correct. Need to go back to bags in the parking lot. If an NIL deal with the local sandwich shop is only worth 10K but they want to pay you 300K because the owner is a rich alum fanboy, you can only accept 10K and stay eligible. If you take the additional 290, that's pay for play. You can take it but you lose eligibility. So if you want it, gotta get it in a bag.
Courts will strike something like that down in a second.

Also, Notre Dame is irrelevant to anyone not a Baby Boomer or early Gen-Xer who thought Tim Brown was cool, they'd be in the spot they're currently in with or without NIL.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
What I find funny about this is:
1) how do businesses, especially like a United Airlines benefit from paying Jordan Addison an NIL? What extra revenue is he bringing in? I can see in Bugtussle Alabama, Red's Guns, Gasoline and Eats, pay some Alabama player, because people make buying decisions based on that.

2) How on god's green earth can they not say and find some of these as strictly "pay for play". I mean Name, Image and Likeness really meant if Terrelle Pryor or Johnny Manziel wanted to sell autographed jerseys and keep the money, they could. Or if some local dealer wants to give the star QB free use of a vehicle. Or video games are sold and use players names and likenesses. Or You Tube channels and appearances. But these are straight up payments to play for the school.

3) And...in that case, shouldn't they have a contract? And if there is a contract, I imagine the businesses or individuals giving out NIL's would have some language in there in regards "opting out" or leaving early.

It's so obvious........it is like these things are Hunter Biden's laptop and we say "okay, really nothing interesting to see here."

What I find funny about this is:
1) how do businesses, especially like a United Airlines benefit from paying Jordan Addison an NIL? What extra revenue is he bringing in? I can see in Bugtussle Alabama, Red's Guns, Gasoline and Eats, pay some Alabama player, because people make buying decisions based on that.

2) How on god's green earth can they not say and find some of these as strictly "pay for play". I mean Name, Image and Likeness really meant if Terrelle Pryor or Johnny Manziel wanted to sell autographed jerseys and keep the money, they could. Or if some local dealer wants to give the star QB free use of a vehicle. Or video games are sold and use players names and likenesses. Or You Tube channels and appearances. But these are straight up payments to play for the school.

3) And...in that case, shouldn't they have a contract? And if there is a contract, I imagine the businesses or individuals giving out NIL's would have some language in there in regards "opting out" or leaving early.

It's so obvious........it is like these things are Hunter Biden's laptop and we say "okay, really nothing interesting to see here."

United Airlines is a real company. They probably paid Addison 10K for appearing on their IG feed. Its not like he was in national commercials. His real money came from boosters.

Reactions: 4382
United Airlines is a real company. They probably paid Addison 10K for appearing on their IG feed. Its not like he was in national commercials. His real money came from boosters.
Exactly. Pay for Play. I mean it is plain as day. Obvious. That is why I do support Baker in his comments. But it is so overtly obvious and the NCAA is so weak and feckless.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT