ADVERTISEMENT

Next Day Random Thoughts

Aug 2, 2019
Although the fan base might have been looking for a little more, as a slight payback to the sufferings of the last few decades, it is hard to complain about this season. Any season you beat a SEC team on the road, defeat Clemson, Virginia Tech, and North Carolina, have a 208 plus point differential after 10 games, is an excellent season in my book. And, the two games they lost, I am convinced if the Pitt defense just had one third and long stop to force a punt on their last drive they probably win both games. The NC game they lose 4 out of 5 times in the last 20 years. With the nightmare start at Tennessee, that is also a game that in the past would have unraveled.

As someone mentioned last night, it was awesome to see Tipton gets some catches and playing time in a big game.

It is hard to criticize Whipple after the first half varied offense clinic, that would have scored even more points without a couple key penalties and sacks, but it was strange that Izzy saw so little time in the second half and had so few carries.

Ideal time for a few extra days off with Va game looming. I hope Va beats Notre Dame in a thriller Saturday night. Maybe a few players will return. Interesting that Narduzzi mentioned the OSU tackle transfer was now eligible in his post game as though he might be a candidate for playing time at this point in the season.

For once I thought the ACC refs were competent, much better than most weeks. However, it still drives me crazy the lack of reviews some weeks on plays that need to be looked at and the reviews that are a waste of time.

I continue to be impressed with Hill at safety and also with M. Williams at corner. Williams seems to be a sure tackler (for our secondary) and other than a fairly close pass interference penalty last night had a strong game.

Maybe it is just me but slightly disappointed with the production from the Defensive ends, other than Haba. With that said, the pass rush was the key to the game. When Howell had time his connection rate was high, actually much better connection percentage than Kenny.

If Pitt was North Carolina with the same game resume' our ranking would be much higher in all polls, whether deserved or not.

It will be interesting to see if the on field success translates to a recruiting uptick compared to the past or if the recruits consider the national relevance a one-year blip due to Pickett staying one final year and being the straw that stirs the drink.

Enjoying each football game a little more than normal with the basketball program such a dumpster fire.

It's weird because I have thought the same thing at times this year with the DEs. But then I look and see Pitt is still up near the national leader board in team sacks. I think maybe we were just spoiled with two NFL draft picks at DE last year who were dominant many times, makes it tough to appreciate guys just "playing pretty darn good".

Incidentally, I was looking ahead at UVA and I think UVA has 12 sacks total all year. We had 5 just last night. We've seen some pretty good pressure from Clemson/Miami/UNC in recent weeks, if UVA can't get near Pickett, I like our chances much more.

I am impressed with this team and it's depth. I believe we are witnessing the transition of PITT finally becoming a consistent top 20 team. We have opened up recruiting in Georgia and continue to pull great players from Florida. Narduzzi's assistants are getting on the lists of potential coaches for other teams.

Our defense had it's moments this year. Early on I was concerned about our coverage. If only they could play all year like they did in the first half of this game. We have recruited some highly regarded talent on the defensive side of the ball. This unit will be good for years.

Izzy appears to be the featured back next year with Hammond on reserve. You have to play multiple backs to protect their health and keep them sharp all game. Maybe he was banged up.

It will be interesting to see what this does to our QB recruiting. It could also bring us in a QB transfer. I like who we have on the bench but this team can contend again with the right QB

It's weird because I have thought the same thing at times this year with the DEs. But then I look and see Pitt is still up near the national leader board in team sacks. I think maybe we were just spoiled with two NFL draft picks at DE last year who were dominant many times, makes it tough to appreciate guys just "playing pretty darn good".

Incidentally, I was looking ahead at UVA and I think UVA has 12 sacks total all year. We had 5 just last night. We've seen some pretty good pressure from Clemson/Miami/UNC in recent weeks, if UVA can't get near Pickett, I like our chances much more.

It must be all smoke and mirrors because Narduzzi can't recruit 🙄.

Reactions: Celtsfan
Also pleased with the win. Great game plan coming into the game. Obviously, nc changes things up at halftime. Could have used some minor adjustments into the fourth to counter nc adjustments. Seemed like we ran mostly on second downs. Maybe with 2 starters out on the OL, we weren't going to be able to run it down their throats. I would have liked to see more runs getting nc looking for it and then mixing in some play action. Good win though. I had too many beers, past out at the end of the fourth. Woke up to sportscenter on and was nervous checking the score. Made it easy to fall right back asleep.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT