ADVERTISEMENT

Nick Marmo....great 1st year as Wilmington head coach

Have talked to Nick on several occasions. Very nice man, and was not disrespectful to Pitt or anything for that matter. He took the Wilmington job despite no talent returning. It is a reclamation project. Not sure anyone else wanted the job. Not good to hold something of many years ago against him. We’ve all said things we regret.

Reactions: Celtsfan
Don’t know if he does for sure, but does not seem like a nasty, negative person. But, people do regret things that they say, whether they admit it or not. Does not matter to me what he said 40 years ago. He was respectful to me and anything I said, and he knows I am a Pitt man.

Reactions: jctrack
Don’t know if he does for sure, but does not seem like a nasty, negative person. But, people do regret things that they say, whether they admit it or not. Does not matter to me what he said 40 years ago. He was respectful to me and anything I said, and he knows I am a Pitt man.
40 years ago? He would have been 1 year old.

Just used a random figure. Geez, sorry I posted. Go ahead and hold the grudge, I don’t care.

Have talked to Nick on several occasions. Very nice man, and was not disrespectful to Pitt or anything for that matter. He
Just used a random figure. Geez, sorry I posted. Go ahead and hold the grudge, I don’t care.
Offer him some advice to quit coaching, if you're that good of friends with him. He detonated Mohawk, too, and got fired there.

I still remember watching him in HS at New Castle and wondering what the fuss was about. They flipped their OTs and OGs so he was usually blocking a guy he outweighed by at least 60 lbs. and when he pulled he had zero quickness. I thought way back then he was going to be a bust.

Reactions: Chrush15
Interesting that he is coaching basketball and not football. I recall he was on the NC basketball team back in late 90’s with David Young that was nationally ranked. But, he was not very good and usually only came in late when the game got out of hand.

I know nicky too, he's my grandson gym teacher and I golfed with him before. He's always respectful to PITT and is a real nice guy. I won't hold a grudge over what a 17 year old kid said, I did a ton of stupid things when I was 17!!

Reactions: TreesHero and GT74
How pathetic does your life have to be to still bring up something a high school kid said over 23 years ago.
Exactly, who cares? At least he got that far, he should be proud of himself.
I find it amazing people even remember any stuff like that? I don't remember who Pitt recruited last year.

Honestly, he wasn't able to see the field much (if at all?) at PSU. He wouldn't have played much for Pitt had he went here, either, and his comments were years ago, so I agree with those saying there is no reason to be making a big deal here.

And he didn't come to Pitt because he said we didn't go to bowl games. He went to Penn State and didn't go to bowl games in 3 of his 4 years.
At that time mid to late 90s, Pitt was garbage and wasn't going to bowl games, so it was true at that time.

I agree with those saying there is no reason to be making a big deal here.
With a 21-111 record at his previous stop how did he get the job? That is what I am interested to know, what does someone say at an interview with that track record?

Good thought.
.....and good for you, having some success at the high school level is always a good thought! The bottom line is that you enjoyed the game at that level and you would like to have the young people in your charge to have that same experience of Team-shared sacrifice to reach a goal, camaraderie, and lifelong attachment to one another and the community. Every program needs to be able to gain traction as kids today really look to be part of success. So schedule as many wins as you can, players, parents, and most fans only know "We won!"....IMHO

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT