ADVERTISEMENT

No changes to the basketball staff this off season?

gary2

Athletic Director
Jul 21, 2001
Does Jason Capel really exist or is Jeff just double dipping?

Last edited:
I don't want to blame assistants because in college basketball, your HC is the PRIMARY recruiter. Guys have to want to play for the HC. That said, I thought, after 15-39, there would have to be changes made just for the sake of making changes because its not working
Changes are certainly needed. The problem is that no decent, up-and-coming coach is going to want to come work for dead man walking Capel.

By not making moves after another disappointing season, the only conclusion you can draw is that Capel feels his staff is getting it done, it's the players that are the problem.

Capel the Mason, brick by brick.

This whole thing has just turned into a mess. I think we're just burning clock until the buyout becomes affordable, honestly. I totally get the desire for change, but what assistant coach who is a feasible hire is going to make any difference at this point?

And I know a lot of people have said that Capel should join the rest of college basketball and cheat, but what's his incentive to do that? He's under contract for six more years at a very sweet salary. Why risk giving Pitt a reason to fire you for cause? He'd be better off sucking than cheating. And that includes not firing his brother, as it wouldn't be worth the familial rift. He'll be living comfortably in a few years while not having to do a damn thing if he so chooses.

This whole thing has just turned into a mess. I think we're just burning clock until the buyout becomes affordable, honestly. I totally get the desire for change, but what assistant coach who is a feasible hire is going to make any difference at this point?

And I know a lot of people have said that Capel should join the rest of college basketball and cheat, but what's his incentive to do that? He's under contract for six more years at a very sweet salary. Why risk giving Pitt a reason to fire you for cause? He'd be better off sucking than cheating. And that includes not firing his brother, as it wouldn't be worth the familial rift. He'll be living comfortably in a few years while not having to do a damn thing if he so chooses.
That's an excellent point.

In order to cheat don't we need some "Golden Panther" types to pony up? Not sure those guys are still alive and no new ones to step up or any that even exist.

Reactions: PharMorNightStocker
I don't want to blame assistants because in college basketball, your HC is the PRIMARY recruiter. Guys have to want to play for the HC. That said, I thought, after 15-39, there would have to be changes made just for the sake of making changes because its not working
Generally speaking, I agree with this.

Generally agree with much of this (not commenting on the family rift point per se), but I have no reason to believe that HCJC and staff aren't working as hard as they can to fill the roster with capable players. Or, in other words, I'm sure they are not at comfortable with their results. But for whatever reason, nothing is happening yet, most unfortunately.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT