ADVERTISEMENT

Noah Collier

Hopefully Collier does want to stay in state and go to Pitt. Definitely a weird and diverse set of 3 teams and I kinda forgot about Collier until this. So I'm hoping that Pitt staff goes all out and pursues him and locks up a verbal later this Fall from him. Cal and Pitt have definitely had a couple down years. Seems like it'll definitely be a 4 man class and Collier would be a great addition.

People forget Cam shot 32 percent from 3 as a 23 year old junior at UNC and has trouble finishing against stronger players. I could see the same type of career trajectory for Puff but it will take a while for the light to quick, in my not so humble opinion.

But Puff has a 7’1” wing span which Cam didn’t have.

And Cam was a legit 6’9 shooter that while not strong had a great frame. Puff looks like a broken down old man when he plays. Loafs up and down the court like me at the Y and has tape all over his body.

And Cam was 6-6 when he came to Pitt. He later grew to 6-9. Puff may grow more also.

Volume shooter. Not my type of player. Trying to temper the expectations if he comes here he’s not as ready as any of the kids they landed this year.

Also everyone looks good in highlights. They don’t show the plays where he gets blocked, loafs down in transition, then fires up a three that hit nothing but backboard like I saw in Indy.

He could be a player in the future but I believe his ranking bump was based a lot on how Cam performed this year

Not trying to disparage Puff. He could develop into a nice player. I don’t think he plays in his first 2 years and needs a lot of work though.

This is my analysis based on seeing him play roughly 25 times the last 2 years in AAU and HS

If the kids go to a regular high school, I agree. 5th years a lot of times get kids from AAU programs with a promise they’ll stay out of the recruitment. Raises profile of all parties involved.

Super high schools like Monteverde oak hill Huntington have a lot of say where there kids go, but if kid goes to a normal HS typically aau coach is the main influencer
Ok so i assume since you know so much (and correcting everyone else) that your either a expert or one of the (pitt or his high school ) staff. Maybe your part of his family , or (so called) handler or Aau coaches ?in any case you didn't answer Tonyt666 question. So can you just do that with a yes or no ?

Ok so i assume since you know so much (and correcting everyone else) that your either a expert or one of the (pitt or his high school ) staff. Maybe your part of his family , or (so called) handler or Aau coaches ?in any case you didn't answer Tonyt666 question. So can you just do that with a yes or no ?
Smh. This board hates any good info. Just the super positive we’re gonna land every kid posts huh? Guess I’ll go back into hiding again with my inside info

Last edited:
I appreciated your comments......I just wasnt sure where you were coming from at 1st.

Thanks.

Of course I could be wrong, but I’m following a pattern of how I have heard these guys operate. They can’t be dumb enough to have this kid prep then lose control of him at a prep school.

Reactions: Drew1208
Sure, but it's also accurate. Unless he's suffering from an aggressive form of dementia, there's no excuse for his posts.
I mean I’m just honestly saying I get some good info down here in Florida from my old connects and I’d like to pass along but if I get jumped on every time Not worth it. Would love to have discussions about pitt basketball. All I hear is about the Devil Rays and Lightning down here

I mean I’m just honestly saying I get some good info down here in Florida from my old connects and I’d like to pass along but if I get jumped on every time Not worth it. Would love to have discussions about pitt basketball. All I hear is about the Devil Rays and Lightning down here

Right, but here's the key difference. Good info to you is reliable info about Pitt recruiting, positive or negative. Good info to oldpantherfan is only positive info. He doesn't comprehend that you can be skeptical/critical and still be a Pitt basketball fan.

Reactions: Ski11585
Right, but here's the key difference. Good info to you is reliable info about Pitt recruiting, positive or negative. Good info to oldpantherfan is only positive info. He doesn't comprehend that you can be skeptical/critical and still be a Pitt basketball fan.
I’m not trying to bring good or bad info. I love capel. Just passing along what I hear and gather

I love Jamie. I think he was a bit Hamstrung by Pitt’s lacking of superior facilities and budget comparatively to the ACC by the time we entered. I think eventually he could’ve been good here with lyke.

But we are where we are and I really like Jeff. I don’t know enough about his staff, but the budget and facilities are right there with our acc counterparts. Not much more you can ask for from an AD

Yea I like JC too but he's not going to change his staff because of their long friendship and family of course and he said these are the guys he can trust.

Yea I like JC too but he's not going to change his staff because of their long friendship and family of course and he said these are the guys he can trust.
He should change it if they don’t close on enough of these kids to have a top 25 class though.

I mean here’s the bottom line, we hired him to be a recruiter. Overwhelm people with talent. Any coaching was extra. Milan Brown turned down the W and M job next year and that would’ve been the perfect chance to upgrade his staff.

Andy Borman from the Rens should be hired next time there’s an opening. Has RJ Davis, controls Jonathan Kuminga and was a former Duke Walk on. What more can you want???

Year one paint hasn't dried and you're going to call for staff changes? Come on man!
No I didn’t as some have on this board. I said if he doesn’t land a top 25 class this year, which would be his 3rd recruiting class, he better.

And at the end of the day it won’t really matter to me if he doesn’t. It’ll just end up costing his job

No I didn’t as some have on this board. I said if he doesn’t land a top 25 class this year, which would be his 3rd recruiting class, he better.

And at the end of the day it won’t really matter to me if he doesn’t. It’ll just end up costing his job

Crazy that him not getting a top 25 class will cost him his job. I don't think we need a top 25 class to win here. I am not saying I don't want a Top 25 class or think the current staff is incapable of getting a Top 25 class, quite the contrary I think 2020 will be a top 25 class.

I think the thing that has been underrated with this staff is it's ability to coach basketball and make these young men better players and a TEAM. Capel had and has a reputation as a recruiter but was undersold was his ability to build and lead a program and COACH basketball.

Future is bright and we have a much deeper team that can all play defense and get out in transition. Defense doesn't go on slumps.

Crazy that him not getting a top 25 class will cost him his job. I don't think we need a top 25 class to win here. I am not saying I don't want a Top 25 class or think the current staff is incapable of getting a Top 25 class, quite the contrary I think 2020 will be a top 25 class.

I think the thing that has been underrated with this staff is it's ability to coach basketball and make these young men better players and a TEAM. Capel had and has a reputation as a recruiter but was undersold was his ability to build and lead a program and COACH basketball.

Future is bright and we have a much deeper team that can all play defense and get out in transition. Defense doesn't go on slumps.
It’s not crazy at all. That class projects out to the end of his contract. If we don’t make the ncaa’s this year (which I don’t think we will) then X leaves we might not make it year 3 either.

This guy was brought here to recruit. He needs to land a top 25ish class this year.

It’s not crazy at all. That class projects out to the end of his contract. If we don’t make the ncaa’s this year (which I don’t think we will) then X leaves we might not make it year 3 either.

This guy was brought here to recruit. He needs to land a top 25ish class this year.

You should change your handle to Current Pitt AD since you are setting the expectations for Capel's employment here now. I think based on everything I have heard from him and AD Lyke, he was brought here to restore the Pitt Basketball program and was given a 7 year contract to do so. Recruiting service rankings mean very little to on court success, I am not diminishing recruiting as obviously we need talent to win. I think our current class at #54 this year or whatever the ranking is, filled holes in the roster added some older players to balance the roster and the program is continue to rise. Capel has been here for exactly 17 months on August 27. He still 67 months left on his contract and already we have a fringe two and done player (ranked outside of the top 200 on all recruiting service) and if X was ranked properly his first class would have been a Top 25 National class, X's ranking was a joke and is one of the many reasons I don't pay attention to stars and class rankings rather try and find film and read about the type of player they are and if they fit with the culture we have here.

Look at what happened to Jamie at the end, a lot of his drop was attributed to going after 5 star or high 4's that didn't fit here - Khem Birch and then Steven Adam leaving after 1 year.

On court success will determine his fate here and what I saw last year from an effort and style perspective has me enthused about this program for the first time in a long time. He will get recruits, everyone wants to win and once we start winning we will have our pick of recruits.

Hopefully Collier does want to stay in state and go to Pitt. Definitely a weird and diverse set of 3 teams and I kinda forgot about Collier until this. So I'm hoping that Pitt staff goes all out and pursues him and locks up a verbal later this Fall from him. Cal and Pitt have definitely had a couple down years. Seems like it'll definitely be a 4 man class and Collier would be a great addition.

More I think about this it will definitely be a 5 man class and maybe a 6 man class for 2020. X to me is the bigger wild card for 2020 than Brown. I think Capel is ok playing with a 6'8" - 6'9" mobile center (Hugley/Coulibaly) and then a group of bigger wings (Collier/Stute/Champagnie/Puff/Gordon/Toney) who can play defense and get our in transition than having two plodders down low. I think if we can get Hugley and Collier/Stute in the fall -- Brown's minutes in 2020 are just about gone at that point.

One Open Scholarship
Hamilton/Chukwuka leaving via graduation.
George/Brown leaving to Transfer -- I think they will both be gone after this year.
X leaving to the NBA

You should change your handle to Current Pitt AD since you are setting the expectations for Capel's employment here now. I think based on everything I have heard from him and AD Lyke, he was brought here to restore the Pitt Basketball program and was given a 7 year contract to do so. Recruiting service rankings mean very little to on court success, I am not diminishing recruiting as obviously we need talent to win. I think our current class at #54 this year or whatever the ranking is, filled holes in the roster added some older players to balance the roster and the program is continue to rise. Capel has been here for exactly 17 months on August 27. He still 67 months left on his contract and already we have a fringe two and done player (ranked outside of the top 200 on all recruiting service) and if X was ranked properly his first class would have been a Top 25 National class, X's ranking was a joke and is one of the many reasons I don't pay attention to stars and class rankings rather try and find film and read about the type of player they are and if they fit with the culture we have here.

Look at what happened to Jamie at the end, a lot of his drop was attributed to going after 5 star or high 4's that didn't fit here - Khem Birch and then Steven Adam leaving after 1 year.

On court success will determine his fate here and what I saw last year from an effort and style perspective has me enthused about this program for the first time in a long time. He will get recruits, everyone wants to win and once we start winning we will have our pick of recruits.
Lol. At least objectivity is your strong suit

Are class rankings the small print in the contract? I'd guess not.

This year improvements from the returning players and watching this latest class develop will tell us much more than a number tallyed by rivals or 247.

Here we go again. Is there anybody visiting that is going to Pitt. I'd like to know in advance.
Nope. They'll be starting 2 managers, both broom boys & Nick Rivers (at the 5) Subs will be chosen from the ZOO.

That Capel better hit these arbitrary numbers....or else... is ridiculous.

Capel just needs to win games and get to the post season to keep his job--something like getting to the NCAAs by season 4 with winning sub-NCAA bid overall seasons on the way to that point. That will not necessarily require landing an overall top 25 rated class for 2020, IMHO.

Last edited:
Heather signed Jeff Capel a SEVEN year contract...Pitt's administration clearly understood that the basketball program had bottomed out. They are taking a longer view than one or two recruiting classes.

That's all you need to know about HCJC's employment status...SEVEN YEARS.

More I think about this it will definitely be a 5 man class and maybe a 6 man class for 2020. X to me is the bigger wild card for 2020 than Brown. I think Capel is ok playing with a 6'8" - 6'9" mobile center (Hugley/Coulibaly) and then a group of bigger wings (Collier/Stute/Champagnie/Puff/Gordon/Toney) who can play defense and get our in transition than having two plodders down low. I think if we can get Hugley and Collier/Stute in the fall -- Brown's minutes in 2020 are just about gone at that point.

One Open Scholarship
Hamilton/Chukwuka leaving via graduation.
George/Brown leaving to Transfer -- I think they will both be gone after this year.
X leaving to the NBA

Just nitpicking. I don't disagree with any of this except I think Brown will still be on the team. I believe that Samson will be graduation-eligible after this year so he will leave the team via that route.

Heather signed Jeff Capel a SEVEN year contract...Pitt's administration clearly understood that the basketball program had bottomed out. They are taking a longer view than one or two recruiting classes.

That's all you need to know about HCJC's employment status...SEVEN YEARS.

HOF--I believe your position is a little too simplistic in the opposite direction from "insiders" take. I agree that one or two years recruit class rankings will not be the deciding factor as to how long Capel remains in the AD's good graces. How those classes effect Ws and Ls will be the factor and that relationship is not linear.

However, the trajectory of the program on the court will have to remain in a positive direction for Capel to get his full 7 years (or beyond). A full Stallings-like flop yielding a negative direction in year 3 or 4 could impact that 7-year window.

It is so far so good for Capel and I believe a Stallings like flop in year 3 or 4 is very unlikely so I expect we are debating what is probably a non issue.

HOF--I believe your position is a little too simplistic in the opposite direction from "insiders" take. I agree that one or two years recruit class rankings will not be the deciding factor as to how long Capel remains in the AD's good graces. How those classes effect Ws and Ls will be the factor and that relationship is not linear.

However, the trajectory of the program on the court will have to remain in a positive direction for Capel to get his full 7 years (or beyond). A full Stallings-like flop yielding a negative direction in year 3 or 4 could impact that 7-year window.

It is so far so good for Capel and I believe a Stallings like flop in year 3 or 4 is very unlikely so I expect we are debating what is probably a non issue.
No matter what the cost of the KS settlement was Pitt has invested a lot of moola into the bb program lately and they’ll give JC all the time he needs to be successful . The last thing they want to do is buyout another coach . If JD wasn’t the right guy , and let’s forget the KS era and if JC craps out Pitt won’t have enough cash in the kitty to convince anyone of note to come here . Bottom line root for JC success !

In looking at his first class- were there 24 better classes?

Obviously, the answer is no. That class is easily a top 25 class. I don't care about what recruiting site rankings state.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT