ADVERTISEMENT

Noah Collier

Andy Borman from the Rens should be hired next time there’s an opening. Has RJ Davis, controls Jonathan Kuminga and was a former Duke Walk on. What more can you want???

You provide some good info but you are dead wrong about Borman controlling Kuminga. I know his brother Joel and his legal guardian. Jonathan has a different guardian than Joel and let’s just say Jonathan’s guardian has plan$ for him. Jonathan could take a visit to Pitt because Joel and Dave (the guardian to Joel) ask him to visit. Dave is good friends with O’Toole. But it’s a waste of time to recruit Jonathan as he will not go to Pitt.

I do agree it would be nice to add a top level recruiter to help JC out. But as you said that will most likely only happen if Brown leaves.

Reactions: TheLogicalTake
247Sports still has Cuse as warm and all his Top 3 schools listed as cool! Same as rivals, 16 schools offered 16 medium! Aug 8th is when he picked his Top 3!

The link to the article said Cal-Berkeley, not Cal
Dude come on now.....
Hey, it is possible that the Cal PA Vulcans are in the mix too
And the Cal Santa Cruz Banana Slugs as well.....

banana.jpg

No I didn’t as some have on this board. I said if he doesn’t land a top 25 class this year, which would be his 3rd recruiting class, he better.

And at the end of the day it won’t really matter to me if he doesn’t. It’ll just end up costing his job
They have good resumes coaching-wise but how are Capel's assistants considered as far as recruiters?

Ok so i assume since you know so much (and correcting everyone else) that your either a expert or one of the (pitt or his high school ) staff. Maybe your part of his family , or (so called) handler or Aau coaches ?in any case you didn't answer Tonyt666 question. So can you just do that with a yes or no ?

BUMP FOR BRIDGES

Reactions: TheLogicalTake
It’s not crazy at all. That class projects out to the end of his contract. If we don’t make the ncaa’s this year (which I don’t think we will) then X leaves we might not make it year 3 either.

This guy was brought here to recruit. He needs to land a top 25ish class this year.
I’m not disagreeing with you per se, but I don’t think it matters what kind of class rankings he gets. He just needs to get us back to the tournament. To do so, he just needs the players to do so. I know that’s basically what you are saying too.

If he keeps recruiting the same level of players that he has added since he started, Pitt will be an NCAA team soon enough. Quality matters more than rankings.

Reactions: Tonyt66
If he keeps recruiting the same level of players that he has added since he started, Pitt will be an NCAA team soon enough. Quality matters more than rankings.
They kind of Go hand in hand. While it’s not a perfect science, by 247’s composite rankings had his first class at 35, and I think if u trade XJ and Trey’s rankings it’s more accurate. Or move trey to Toney’s and toney to XJ. Either way it kind of evened out. And that would project us to be a tournament team in their 3rd year. 51 would not be. Like it or not, the rankings usually tell the tale and this guy was brought to recruit

Reactions: rockypanther
Recruiting is only part of the tape. And if a guy is brought in to recruit he's not going to have any parameters on how he recruits. So your statement falls flat on its face given the admin policy regarding getting their hands dirty.

I'm not an insider by any means but I'm sick of hearing from "insiders" who are filled with contradictions. Capel is just getting going and half of you "insiders" are running him off based on ridiculous rankings. He hit targets in year 2, but just didn't get the big he wanted. You haven't seen these guys play and you're calling it a failure. Get outta here with that attitude!

Recruiting is only part of the tape. And if a guy is brought in to recruit he's not going to have any parameters on how he recruits. So your statement falls flat on its face given the admin policy regarding getting their hands dirty.

I'm not an insider by any means but I'm sick of hearing from "insiders" who are filled with contradictions. Capel is just getting going and half of you "insiders" are running him off based on ridiculous rankings. He hit targets in year 2, but just didn't get the big he wanted. You haven't seen these guys play and you're calling it a failure. Get outta here with that attitude!
1. I didn’t run him off 2. How in the world do you have any idea what Lyke does or doesn’t care about as far as getting their hands dirty? She was employed at Ohio State, who everyone here can assume was cheating correct? Then she hires the coach known as the duffel bag man. Why in the world would you assume she is going to tell Capel how to do his job?

Honestly if we hired the guy who elevated duke’s recruiting to ungodly levels and cheated his ass off at Oklahoma for him to go clean here we got ripped off

Fair enough, I just wanted to draw some lines when it comes to this narrative he is failing on the recruiting front. Is there any argument against saying we will have the most talented and athletic squad on the court this year compared to our recent history? All I see is a program on the rise. Granted it might not translate to a lot more wins in the top heavy ACC but I think we win more of those tweener games we lost last year.

Fair enough, I just wanted to draw some lines when it comes to this narrative he is failing on the recruiting front. Is there any argument against saying we will have the most talented and athletic squad on the court this year compared to our recent history? All I see is a program on the rise. Granted it might not translate to a lot more wins in the top heavy ACC but I think we win more of those tweener games we lost last year.

If it doesn’t translate to more wins then it isn’t a program on the rise.

That’s viewing Pitt in a vacuum. The teams that we are in between with have kids that are older and presumably more improved now too. I know Georgia Tech’s staff feels this year is an ncaa year for them and I would assume most on this board assume GT is a win. Edited to say I have no idea how good GT will be. My point is just being older doesn’t translate to more wins

I’m not sold on any of our newcomers helping much right away.

Reactions: Ski11585
If it doesn’t translate to more wins then it isn’t a program on the rise.
When your building a program from scratch expecting championship results in yr 2 or 3 is a bit overly optimistic.

Was Chuck Noll a failure in his first three yrs or was he building the foundation for a great team !

Pitt has a history of pulling the plug on its athletic success , I’m sure every program has some minor indiscretions happening , but I’d bet the house Heather was hired to run clean programs .

If JC was allowed to go off the reservation Pitt would’ve signed one or two of its priority targets .

Reactions: NGPittCali
When your building a program from scratch expecting championship results in yr 2 or 3 is a bit overly optimistic.

Was Chuck Noll a failure in his first three yrs or was he building the foundation for a great team !

Pitt has a history of pulling the plug on its athletic success , I’m sure every program has some minor indiscretions happening , but I’d bet the house Heather was hired to run clean programs .

If JC was allowed to go off the reservation Pitt would’ve signed one or two of its priority targets .

1: Show me where I said championships.

2: As we see time and time again you don’t need 5-7 years to turn around a bad program. Quit making excuses. Our old coach got TCU into the tournament in 2.

If Pitt isn’t willing to play the same games as other major programs then they should quit wasting time and money and drop D1 sports. Fund research instead.

2: As we see time and time again you don’t need 5-7 years to turn around a bad program. Quit making excuses. Our old coach got TCU into the tournament in 2.

If Pitt isn’t willing to play the same games as other major programs then they should quit wasting time and money and drop D1 sports. Fund research instead.
Yes, I love when people here take that strawman route to whenever you talk about being a contender and a tourney team to a "championship" team. People on here do the same thing with football.

It is a waste of time and energy and I don't know why people do that when they make excuses, but they do.

Reactions: Ski11585
Yes, I love when people here take that strawman route to whenever you talk about being a contender and a tourney team to a "championship" team. People on here do the same thing with football.

It is a waste of time and energy and I don't know why people do that when they make excuses, but they do.
Really, if we’re talking programs, How many ppl have Chris Beard taking Texas Tech to the elite 8 in year 2 and the final in year 3? Sure they had a better starting point, but those were his teams.

Point is you don’t get as long in basketball. You need to recruit and develop talent and be an excellent coach.

And I’m not saying he even has to get to the championship. Making the ncaa by year 3 is a very achievable goal and quite frankly a disappointment if they don’t.

Really, if we’re talking programs, How many ppl have Chris Beard taking Texas Tech to the elite 8 in year 2 and the final in year 3? Sure they had a better starting point, but those were his teams.

Point is you don’t get as long in basketball. You need to recruit and develop talent and be an excellent coach.

And I’m not saying he even has to get to the championship. Making the ncaa by year 3 is a very achievable goal and quite frankly a disappointment if they don’t.
Year 3 was always my timeline from the beginning.
I said I won't assess Capel til after year 3.
Not that any of our assessments matter anyways.

Capel should be expected to get to about 0.500 overall with some possibility of an NIT bid this season. A repeat of last year's 14-19, or similar, would be very disappointing. Anything worse than 16-17 wins would be alarming.

Or you should stop following Pitt bb and Fb .

TCU had far better returning players and hired very aggressive assistants.

The team Pitt is putting on the court this yr is far superior than any for quite awhile .

I’m not making excuses I just live in reality .

The team Pitt is putting on the court this yr is far superior than any for quite awhile .

What reality? That Pitt isn’t serious about winning?

Noll's first three teams won 1, 5 and 6 games. So while he was building the foundation of a great team he was also winning more games each season.

What reality? That Pitt isn’t serious about winning?
The reality is Pitt will never allocate the resources necessary to seriously compete with the big boys . That’s not to say that once every decade or so the perfect storm could materialize.

They want winning teams , but there’s a big difference in being a winning team or a Duke or Kentucky in Bb or a Clemson and Bama in Fb .

From where the program was two yrs ago to now there’s absolutely no reason to bitch .

Reactions: Tonyt66

Everyone had better returning players than Pitt did last year.

Are you a Pitt fan or just someone who love to hate?

Yup. I’ve been on these boards since ‘09 just because I love to hate...

Just because I think Pitt needs to do better doesn’t mean I’m a hater. That’s such a lazy perspective too often used to dismiss criticism.

The reality is Pitt will never allocate the resources necessary to seriously compete with the big boys . That’s not to say that once every decade or so the perfect storm could materialize.

They want winning teams , but there’s a big difference in being a winning team or a Duke or Kentucky in Bb or a Clemson and Bama in Fb .

From where the program was two yrs ago to now there’s absolutely no reason to bitch .
The big difference is the donations and revenues flowing into those programs vs Pitt.

Seriously- it’s absolutely idiotic when people blame Pitt who spends as much as peers

Pitt is in rebuild mode for 1 simple reason-
A fly by night ad chased away a successful coach to hire an absolute turd.
That turd destroyed a program in 2 years.

Pitt then hired a competent ad- who paid the turd to go away and hired a known commodity.

Yup. I’ve been on these boards since ‘09 just because I love to hate...

Just because I think Pitt needs to do better doesn’t mean I’m a hater. That’s such a lazy perspective too often used to dismiss criticism.

Hating doesn't have a time limit its timeless! Its not lazy to give a person a chance especially when you see improvement happen but it it hating when you see the arrow pointing up and your still hating.

I think one reason why I am not well liked on this board is because I cannot stand the excusologists who make anything and everything is an impossibility. "It takes time to build a team". "Blueblood X is recruiting him". "You can't get everyone". "What you expect a top 10 recruiting class?" "What, you expect a top ten team?" "The ACC is hard...." etc...etc...

Ben Howland took over a mess. The Big East was a tough conference. Ben went 13-15, 19-14 then 29-6 and Sweet 16 (shoulda been Elite 8).

So it is not "that hard", it can be done. Why do Pitt basketball fans have such a low opinion of its own program?

I think one reason why I am not well liked on this board is because I cannot stand the excusologists who make anything and everything is an impossibility. "It takes time to build a team". "Blueblood X is recruiting him". "You can't get everyone". "What you expect a top 10 recruiting class?" "What, you expect a top ten team?" "The ACC is hard...." etc...etc...

Ben Howland took over a mess. The Big East was a tough conference. Ben went 13-15, 19-14 then 29-6 and Sweet 16 (shoulda been Elite 8).

So it is not "that hard", it can be done. Why do Pitt basketball fans have such a low opinion of its own program?
You are "not well liked on this board" is because you are always so damm negative.

I like you

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT