ADVERTISEMENT

Non-conference schedule announced

It doesn't matter much because losses suck no matter what. But I take the opposite track as many above. When you know your team will be hopeless, may as well schedule as TOUGH as possible. That way when you get smoked and boat raced you can always throw up (maybe literally) the line of "but we have the hardest schedule in the country!". Nobody gives a crap of course but at least it's something.

How freaking terrible a situation. What an awful chancellor and trustees for condemning their university to this.

Reactions: KiwiJeff
Actually, listening to a fanbase dissatisfied with the home OOC is anything but tone deaf. Resuming the rivalry with WVU is not a good thing, it's a great thing given the "quality" of the remaining schedule. Why are so many Pitt fans afraid of competition?

Well this year I am. When we had Blair, Fields and Young, or some of those other teams, it was embarrassing. This year I understand not stretching yourself.

Develop into what? Maybe they are NIT caliber by 2020?
Maybe you should just give up all hope and stop going to the games and while your at it stop with constant negative postings until they make a change in HCs . In three yrs you can come back as a genius told you all .

Reactions: Saboteur
2011-2012 comes to mind

In 11-12 we played four teams with a final Pomeroy ranking of higher than 200:

Rider - 223
VMI - 274
South Carolina State - 343
St. Francis PA - 309

We also played Albany at 199. The average end of season ranking of our non-conference opponents that season was 161.

To get an average ranking of this coming year's schedule I assumed we will play Penn State (because seriously, they have to make that one of the first round games, don't they?) and then Oklahoma State, because they had a better end of season ranking last year than A&M did. With those assumptions the average for this coming year's schedule is 187. Again, it remains to be seen where things end up at the end of this season, but by those numbers the 11-12 schedule was harder than this coming year's schedule, and not by a small amount.

Truth though. If we don't beat them this year we're almost certainly looking at three years in a row if not four. They've rebuilt faster than we have.
Truth be told, I have never heard of any one of the newcomers eligible at Duquesne next season. Krivacevic,. Kratholm, Verhoeven, N.Washington and E.Williams

Maybe they will be good maybe not.

Truth be told, I have never heard of any one of the newcomers eligible at Duquesne next season. Krivacevic,. Kratholm, Verhoeven, N.Washington and E.Williams

Carl Randall and Frank Hughes can really play out of their transfers. Fortunately they won't have Hughes for two years.

How tall are you, and do you have any eligibility left? The same questions apply to your brothers.

I haven't been D1 caliber in a decade even if I do have one year left. I hope that we haven't sunk to taking the best player in the O35 Pittsburgh rec league just yet.

In 11-12 we played four teams with a final Pomeroy ranking of higher than 200:

Rider - 223
VMI - 274
South Carolina State - 343
St. Francis PA - 309

We also played Albany at 199. The average end of season ranking of our non-conference opponents that season was 161.

To get an average ranking of this coming year's schedule I assumed we will play Penn State (because seriously, they have to make that one of the first round games, don't they?) and then Oklahoma State, because they had a better end of season ranking last year than A&M did. With those assumptions the average for this coming year's schedule is 187. Again, it remains to be seen where things end up at the end of this season, but by those numbers the 11-12 schedule was harder than this coming year's schedule, and not by a small amount.

Maybe he meant 2012/13 when it was 208. Anything over 150 pretty much sucks anyway, so lets not act like 161 was much different.

I think it was Barnes promising an improved OOC is what people are referring to. Of course, he's gone, so that's one more broken promise he left in his wake.

Correct, the carpetbagger that promised that is gone. There is no reason for a tough OOC schedule with this team. It was done correctly.

Maybe you should just give up all hope and stop going to the games and while your at it stop with constant negative postings until they make a change in HCs . In three yrs you can come back as a genius told you all .

That was a serious question, not snark. What do you really expect to see in visible development? If this team wins 3 ACC games next year, you'll be giddy? We've got so far to go to return to respectability, I don't know how mere "development" could satisfy even a single fan after all the years of whining about March failure.

I strongly doubt there will be any encouraging player or team development observable if a single digit win total season comes to pass.

In a single digit win season all we will have seen is a team that gave up, stopped listening to the coaches, and just went through the motions hoping the season would mercifully end.

I am hoping for better than that--hoping for 9-10 OOC wins and 3-5 ACC wins by a steadily improving team as younger players get more comfortable. That sort of season would offer some hope for the future. A 6-8 win OOC with 0-2 ACC wins to follow will not provide any reason for hope for the future because it will not show any encouraging player or team development

That was a serious question, not snark. What do you really expect to see in visible development? If this team wins 3 ACC games next year, you'll be giddy? We've got so far to go to return to respectability, I don't know how mere "development" could satisfy even a single fan after all the years of whining about March failure.
It won't satisfy anyone. Pittsburgh fans are accustomed to winners.

Maybe if the team is like "Billy Ball" (or the Charlestown Chiefs) of college hoops, aggressive play, fights and ejections every night, it would be entertaining, like how a freak show act can capture attention.

But mostlikely it will just be a very bad team that plays soft and tentative due to massive inexperience, can't score due to severe lack of talent, gets behind fast, caves early, and gets boat raced. Every night.

And most will then leave / get run off from the program at seasons end (some during the season, like Kithcart was). And the lazy indifferent coach, given zero admin backing to adequately buy legit recruits, will half heartedly poke the fringes of recruit graveyards, drag in similar no star, no name guys very late in the year just to field a team (barely) in 18-19. Rinse and repeat.

3 years later (not less) they'll dismally reach a buyout agreement. Then after an uncomfortable period of silence and inactivity Chancellor Doody and his latest AD of the month will announce a "comprehensive nationwide search" designed to "find the highest caliber coach in the industry to deliver championships" ... and after weeks of bumbling we'll get some new underwhelming hack.

Last edited:
I strongly doubt there will be any encouraging player or team development observable if a single digit win total season comes to pass...A 6-8 win OOC with 0-2 ACC wins to follow will not provide any reason for hope for the future because it will not show any encouraging player or team development
I don't completely disagree with all your points, they are well stated. I am only focused on seeing players develop next year. I am hopeful that KS has found players that are committed to competing for the name on the front of the jersey. I fear 10 wins might be the high water mark for this squad - and if I am wrong and they do better great! I do believe that progress and improvement can be made even if the win total doesn't show it. The growth next year will be made in between moments of "they haven't been here and haven't done that before ".

This isn't the Pitt program of the past . This is a new beginning and they're starting at the bottom . Should anyone be happy about this ...no , but this is what it is . What I'd like to see is a team that improves and even if losing plays some competitive games . I'd like to see two or three players who have the potential to be ACC level players with a yr or two experience under their belt . I'd like to continue to see an uptick in recruiting . Expecting more at this point is pointless .

Progress and improvement without more than 9-10 wins would be indicated, IMO, by a team that didn't quit despite that lack of Ws, that put out a strong effort every night and became more and more competitive even in late season ACC losses to ranked teams as freshmen played more like Sophs at season end and in any ACC tourney game(s).

However, I believe that is unlikely to happen.

Reactions: heybandguy

well, we only heard of OUR new kids after it was posted here, tight? Keep in mind that the Dukes team that beat us last year was good enough to get the coach fired.. We should have low enough expectations this year that each win is a pleasant surprise. We haven't seen our guys play except for Luther & Milligan.

Reactions: rockypanther
well, we only heard of OUR new kids after it was posted here, tight? Keep in mind that the Dukes team that beat us last year was good enough to get the coach fired.. We should have low enough expectations this year that each win is a pleasant surprise. We haven't seen our guys play except for Luther & Milligan.
Not exactly right - I saw Carr and Stevenson play on national TV and I was well aware of Parker Stewart as a recruit. I was also aware that Pitt was loosely associated with Terrell Brown and Samson George for some time,

I will admit I had no knowledge of Peace. K,Davis or even Wilson-Frame.

This isn't the Pitt program of the past . This is a new beginning and they're starting at the bottom . Should anyone be happy about this ...no , but this is what it is . What I'd like to see is a team that improves and even if losing plays some competitive games . I'd like to see two or three players who have the potential to be ACC level players with a yr or two experience under their belt . I'd like to continue to see an uptick in recruiting . Expecting more at this point is pointless .

If you admit that the program is ruined and we have no hope of competing, then this explanation makes sense. Otherwise, not so much.

My goal is to learn all the players names and uniform numbers by the time the OOC is finished.
Since apparently the bulk of the satisfaction for the next couple years is supposed to come expressly from watching "new guys" play, they should change their numbers every game. No names on the back goes without saying (but I said it anyway). The players will probably prefer it that way to save public embarrassment. Makes for good in game trivia during timeouts too (assuming Stallings ever calls any) ... Joe Destio blurbs like "hey Panther fans, wake up! It's the Frankie the Keener Wiener Trivia challenge! How many of our current lineup on the court can YOU name?"

Not exactly right - I saw Carr and Stevenson play on national TV and I was well aware of Parker Stewart as a recruit. I was also aware that Pitt was loosely associated with Terrell Brown and Samson George for some time,

I will admit I had no knowledge of Peace. K,Davis or even Wilson-Frame.
Not the same as seeing them play together vs. college teams, but you can get some idea of their skill levels and attitude. Hopefully, we can compete. If some of these new kids don't work out, there'll be more roster shuffling next year. Let's hope that a few really prove ACC-worthy.

Reactions: gary2
Well, we will stink but everyone knew that a long time ago. We don't have a bad coach, no matter how many times you post it.

So we should only compete when we have a final four caliber team?
That's what we've been told by some people. Have the rules changed?

If you admit that the program is ruined and we have no hope of competing, then this explanation makes sense. Otherwise, not so much.
I didn't say ruined , your putting your words into my mouth . They're starting over under a new coach and they're starting at the bottom . Whether you'll admit it or not the previous coaching staff was leading the program down this path by constructing a roster full of non ACC level players with gapping holes at the guard and center positions .
Pitts bb brand is not at the level of a Kentucky or Duke were it can retool itself yearly . It will take several yrs of hard work for this staff to try and get Pitt back to being a competitive program in the ACC . The last two commitments have raised my level of hope that KS has a chance of succeeding here and since there's nothing that going to change the fact that he's here for several more seasons I'm hoping these are signs that things might work out down the road .
If it makes you feel better to complain and bash everything Pitt bb you'll have yourself as least a couple of yrs of enjoyment I'm just hoping that we see improvement yearly leading to a competitive team in three yrs . Each to their own .

Reactions: FireballZ and gary2
Agree - measurable improvements, player development, a good recruiting class and a HC who can keep it together for the fans and media is the baseline for the season. If not, things will get very interesting in Oakland.

Pitts bb brand is not at the level of a Kentucky or Duke were it can retool itself yearly . It will take several yrs of hard work for this staff to try and get Pitt back to being a competitive program in the ACC .

Buzz Williams had VT at 10-8 in year 2.
Josh Pastner had GT at 8-10 in year 1.

Even Wake Forest went form 2-16 to 9-9 with a NCAA bid in year 3.

If there isn't a winning season by 2018-19, I don't believe Stallings will get a 2019-20 season. Given the opportunity he has to recruit large numbers, run off what he considers deadwood and find JUCO and grad transfers to supplement high school recruiting (without the limitations football has), three years should easily be long enough to at least field a team that will at least barely exceed a 0.500 W-L season record (e.g., 17-16 or 18-15 ish). If Stallings cannot get to that point (i.e., respectability) in year three, then, IMO, chances that he ever will have a winning team at Pitt is virtually zero.

Reactions: Haydman
If there isn't a winning season by 2018-19, I don't believe Stallings will get a 2019-20 season. Given the opportunity he has to recruit large numbers, run off what he considers deadwood and find JUCO and grad transfers to supplement high school recruiting (without the limitations football has), three years should easily be long enough to at least field a team that will at least barely exceed a 0.500 W-L season record (e.g., 17-16 or 18-15 ish). If Stallings cannot get to that point (i.e., respectability) in year three, then, IMO, chances that he ever will have a winning team at Pitt is virtually zero.
I think that's a reasonable expectation. The 2017 class on paper seems pretty average so next years class is going to be make or break. It can't have this many project and cross your fingers guys. It has to have more Carr type recruits or better.

I didn't say ruined , your putting your words into my mouth . They're starting over under a new coach and they're starting at the bottom . Whether you'll admit it or not the previous coaching staff was leading the program down this path by constructing a roster full of non ACC level players with gapping holes at the guard and center positions .
Pitts bb brand is not at the level of a Kentucky or Duke were it can retool itself yearly . It will take several yrs of hard work for this staff to try and get Pitt back to being a competitive program in the ACC . The last two commitments have raised my level of hope that KS has a chance of succeeding here and since there's nothing that going to change the fact that he's here for several more seasons I'm hoping these are signs that things might work out down the road .
If it makes you feel better to complain and bash everything Pitt bb you'll have yourself as least a couple of yrs of enjoyment I'm just hoping that we see improvement yearly leading to a competitive team in three yrs . Each to their own .

"Several" seems like the wrong word. I would say, at least 2. He certainly won't be fired after this season, no matter the record. But if 2018-2019 is another bad year, all bets are off.

The expectations for Stallings had better be a lot higher than "competitive team in 3 seasons". It's not that hard in basketball to revamp a roster. Teams with young players win all the time. He's supposed to be a good recruiter, go get kids that can win early. 2018-2019 had better be an NCAA team or damn close.

Agree - measurable improvements, player development, a good recruiting class and a HC who can keep it together for the fans and media is the baseline for the season. If not, things will get very interesting in Oakland.

If Pitt was playing Oakland U, they might/prob lose this year lol o_O

But anyway, it will be exciting to see all the new guys and see how good they'll do.

They'll have plenty of easier teams to play in the OOC to gel some as a team.

#GoPitt

"Several" seems like the wrong word. I would say, at least 2. He certainly won't be fired after this season, no matter the record. But if 2018-2019 is another bad year, all bets are off.

The expectations for Stallings had better be a lot higher than "competitive team in 3 seasons". It's not that hard in basketball to revamp a roster. Teams with young players win all the time. He's supposed to be a good recruiter, go get kids that can win early. 2018-2019 had better be an NCAA team or damn close.
Well, he might not get fired, but there are losses and then there are "losses". If this coming year is a repeat of last with no visible improvement, I do not expect the AD to sit back quietly.

Reactions: pantherscott01
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT