ADVERTISEMENT

Non-conference schedule announced

It won't be the booing, it will be the lack of revenue from an empty Pete for multiple years that will shorten his stay.
Wholeheartedly agree , when the decision makers realize the loss of revenue is greater than a buyout that's when a change will occur and not a day sooner .

Care to elaborate....................

As I understand it, the idea for Cam to leave Pitt was a rather recent development ... first discussed in the "Cam Camp" around February.

I'm not going to say that Cam had problems with Stallings, because I don't believe that is accurate per se, and even if he (or someone in his family) did have problems, that doesn't mean Stallings earned or deserved any criticism exactly.

But I believe Stallings alluded somewhat to this being a known long term plan by Cam. If it was, I don't think it was a plan Stallings was in on. In fact, I have reason to believe the staff was sort of taken by surprise by Cam's transfer.

If Pitt DOESN'T pursue greatness, why bother? We had #1 seeds twice in the last 8 years.....why NOT make that the goal?? (If you get enough of those, you'll have a shot at the brass ring. Blair over Hansborough in 2009??)
Do you think Narduzzi only wants 8-9 wins/year? If so, fire him.
Bumping this so some of the posters that cozy up to the school leadership can speak to this. In candid conversations, I'm sure there's the lament of lazy delusional cheap alumni and fans with unrealistic expectations and the dam state government and dam city government and all the usual excuses you guys carry over and echo here when administration culpability is raised.
I find your speculation of Dixon signing a "decent" PG transfer (after March) who was going to add 5 wins dubious considering he couldn't recruit a "decent" PG his last 4 classes.
I think this is true unfortunately. Recruiting had hit a stone wall with JD.

It continues now with Stallings, who had at least had a bit of success with it previously.

I say this not in defense of Stallings. Indeed its a continued indictment. He's also woefully inadequate as a team motivator and game day coach from what we've seen.

But no question recruiting had also gone sour with Dixon.

It's an institutional failure.

Admin apologists here, what say you?

In regards to Cam the NBA will find you no matter where you play if you ve got the talent . Did Adams freshman yr wow anyone ?

Cam would have been the only Pitt player on the floor who was any type of scoring threat. He'd be face guarded every minute of the game. Teams could probably triple team him and still win. Since he isn't coming into the season with the type of hype that Adams had, that would certainly put a ceiling on his potential.

Cam would have been the only Pitt player on the floor who was any type of scoring threat. He'd be face guarded every minute of the game. Teams could probably triple team him and still win. Since he isn't coming into the season with the type of hype that Adams had, that would certainly put a ceiling on his potential.
My point is that an NBA player sticks out no matter where he plays . It wasn't the hype that got Adams drafted it was his physical abilities to play ball . What happened when Pitt faced Kimba Walker or a Dwane Wade ( extreme example ) they couldn't stop them no matter how closely they guarded them . Cam has a nice shot and some range I just don't see the athletic abilities that puts him in the NBA . For his sake I hope I'm wrong .

Reactions: DiehardPanther
I can't tell you why he didn't fill the last spot. Yes, it's on him that he kept the 3 incoming recruits. Last year was his first year and there were 4 upperclassmen. It wasn't the year to get rid of players.

Once he saw firsthand what he had left, there was no other option. They lost absolutely nothing outside of Cam. And yes, part of that is on him for signing Dixon's recruits.

I find your speculation of Dixon signing a "decent" PG transfer (after March) who was going to add 5 wins dubious considering he couldn't recruit a "decent" PG his last 4 classes.
Oh, I don't think the PG would have made a 5 win difference. I think Dixon probably makes a 3 win difference and a decent transfer PG makes at least a 1 win difference. We were awful there last year. Awful.

My point is that an NBA player sticks out no matter where he plays . It wasn't the hype that got Adams drafted it was his physical abilities to play ball . What happened when Pitt faced Kimba Walker or a Dwane Wade ( extreme example ) they couldn't stop them no matter how closely they guarded them . Cam has a nice shot and some range I just don't see the athletic abilities that puts him in the NBA . For his sake I hope I'm wrong .
Except that isn't true. Cam is (at absolute best) a fringe 1st rounder, who is drafted in a couple years because he is safe. Those players, much, much, much more than a Wade or Walker, need talent around them to succeed and get the notice from pro scouts. Cam couldn't handle the load and look like a quality NBA prospect.

My point is that an NBA player sticks out no matter where he plays .

How much did Lamar Patterson stick out at Pitt? He was drafted because he had just enough talent and potential and played on teams that were good but not great. If he had graduated in 2012 or 2017 instead of 2014, he might not have made the cut.

It wasn't the hype that got Adams drafted it was his physical abilities to play ball .

Of course it was hype. His stats in college weren't all that impressive. He was drafted on physical potential, i.e., hype.

Except that isn't true. Cam is (at absolute best) a fringe 1st rounder, who is drafted in a couple years because he is safe. Those players, much, much, much more than a Wade or Walker, need talent around them to succeed and get the notice from pro scouts. Cam couldn't handle the load and look like a quality NBA prospect.
Then he's not an NBA talent ! Look at the guys Pitt has recently produced that got a look and a cup of coffee in the NBA .
Is Cam a better player than
D Blair ..no ( too small )
Sam Young ..no ( just not good enough )
Lamar ...no ( just not good enough )
Is he even better than
M Young ... no
J Artis ....?
What he has is a smooth stroke , but he missed just about every crucial shot he had last season , he's not exceptionally quick and he's not a strong physical guy nor is he a shut down defensive player . He's a good college bb player not a great one . The nice thing is that he'll get a chance at UNC to show us how he competes against top talent and prove me wrong .

How much did Lamar Patterson stick out at Pitt? He was drafted because he had just enough talent and potential and played on teams that were good but not great. If he had graduated in 2012 or 2017 instead of 2014, he might not have made the cut.

Of course it was hype. His stats in college weren't all that impressive. He was drafted on physical potential, i.e., hype.
Physical potential isn't hype my friend . Stand next to the guy and watch him run and jump that's not hype .
Your stats in college are nice for your scrapbook ask all the Heisman Trophy guys who never amounted to much in the NFL .

Physical potential isn't hype my friend . Stand next to the guy and watch him run and jump that's not hype .
Your stats in college are nice for your scrapbook ask all the Heisman Trophy guys who never amounted to much in the NFL .

There are plenty of guys that can run and jump and don't make it as far as Adams has in the NBA. Sam Young was about as athletic a guy as you will ever find, and he managed to score 600+ points in two seasons, and he still doesn't have the NBA career that Adams does. He had hype, and the hype was right.

There are plenty of guys that can run and jump and don't make it as far as Adams has in the NBA. Sam Young was about as athletic a guy as you will ever find, and he managed to score 600+ points in two seasons, and he still doesn't have the NBA career that Adams does. He had hype, and the hype was right.
No Adams had what it takes . If Sam Young was Adams size he'd been the next Shaq . If Blair had Adams size he'd been unbelievable . Do you think that pro teams give a sh.. about a guys hype . They care about one thing and one thing only and that's can he play .
Who had better hype than Tim Tebow and where's at now ? Baseballs minor leagues not the NFL . I guess not enough hype !

No Adams had what it takes . If Sam Young was Adams size he'd been the next Shaq . If Blair had Adams size he'd been unbelievable . Do you think that pro teams give a sh.. about a guys hype .

Of course they care about hype. Adams was mentioned in mock drafts before he ever played a minute at Pitt. Why is that? You don't think scouts went to check him out early because the recruiting writers et al. were buzzing about the kid's potential? That's hype. He entered Pitt with more NBA probability than anyone else at Pitt in the last 20 years. Guys like Blair or Young or Patterson had to earn the attention during their careers where Adams had it before he stepped foot on the court.

Just because the hype proved to be justified doesn't mean it wasn't hype. The new Spider-Man movie had hype, but it also received positive critical reviews and earned a boatload of money in theaters. Was there hype surrounding Sidney Crosby being drafted by the Penguins? Of course there was.

Reactions: pitt-girl
Of course they care about hype. Adams was mentioned in mock drafts before he ever played a minute at Pitt. Why is that? You don't think scouts went to check him out early because the recruiting writers et al. were buzzing about the kid's potential? That's hype. He entered Pitt with more NBA probability than anyone else at Pitt in the last 20 years. Guys like Blair or Young or Patterson had to earn the attention during their careers where Adams had it before he stepped foot on the court.

Just because the hype proved to be justified doesn't mean it wasn't hype. The new Spider-Man movie had hype, but it also received positive critical reviews and earned a boatload of money in theaters. Was there hype surrounding Sidney Crosby being drafted by the Penguins? Of course there was.
Hype and $1 will get you a cup of coffee at McDonalds .
Adams was a 7 ft athletic freak before he ever put on a Pitt jersey .
Sidney Crosby was a phenom as was Mario .
I guess LaBron also fits into your silly notion of hype having anything to do with people recognizing greatness .
I guess all these teams that spend millions on player evaluations are just wasting their money they just need to read the newspapers and internet sites to see who the guys with talent are no use having individual workouts and film studies .
Ps.. I guess Tiger Woods greatness was do to his hype too !

Last edited:
Then he's not an NBA talent ! Look at the guys Pitt has recently produced that got a look and a cup of coffee in the NBA .
Is Cam a better player than
D Blair ..no ( too small )
Sam Young ..no ( just not good enough )
Lamar ...no ( just not good enough )
Is he even better than
M Young ... no
J Artis ....?
What he has is a smooth stroke , but he missed just about every crucial shot he had last season , he's not exceptionally quick and he's not a strong physical guy nor is he a shut down defensive player . He's a good college bb player not a great one . The nice thing is that he'll get a chance at UNC to show us how he competes against top talent and prove me wrong .
Better than the last 3 for a chance at the NBA? Sure. However, he is clearly a bit player and not a lead dog. It certainly isn't a prerequisite for an NBA end of roster guy to have been a college star.

30 years.
Since Smith.

30 years.
Since Smith.
The "hype" surrounding guys like Adams ,Crosby , Mario ,Smith etc was warranted because they had extraordinary talent and that's why they all were drafted highly and had tremendously successful professional careers . How did the " hype " surrounding Donte Taylor work out for him or how about that great guard JD was recruiting that ended up at Tennessee ? Talent is what gets you drafted and talent is what gets you a professional career not "hype " .

The "hype" surrounding guys like Adams ,Crosby , Mario ,Smith etc was warranted because they had extraordinary talent and that's why they all were drafted highly and had tremendously successful professional careers . How did the " hype " surrounding Donte Taylor work out for him or how about that great guard JD was recruiting that ended up at Tennessee ? Talent is what gets you drafted and talent is what gets you a professional career not "hype " .
Anthony Bennett has a question.
Darko Milivec "gathering facts"

How far off track are you going to take this? Your original point was that Cam would get the same amount of attention as Adams if he was destined for the NBA. You just admitted that some guys have "extraordinary talent" and get different treatment. Cam does not have "extraordinary talent" but can still make the NBA if he's put in the right position. Steve Adams could've played on a team that was 10-22. Cam can't. Lamar couldn't. Maybe not even Sam Young.

Reactions: Jpripper88
How far off track are you going to take this? Your original point was that Cam would get the same amount of attention as Adams if he was destined for the NBA. You just admitted that some guys have "extraordinary talent" and get different treatment. Cam does not have "extraordinary talent" but can still make the NBA if he's put in the right position. Steve Adams could've played on a team that was 10-22. Cam can't. Lamar couldn't. Maybe not even Sam Young.
By changing colleges Cam will not alter his talent level at this point in his career . He'll be a fourth yr player and pro scouts have seen what he brings to the table . By going to UNC he might even have hurt his chances of being drafted if he doesn't get enough productive PT there .Everyone knows he has a nice shooting motion and sitting on the three point line at UNC and making 40% of his 3's isn't going to change his future . Now had he stayed at Pitt and became a team leader learned to drive to the basket and rebound to go with his shooting abilities he might have turned a few heads . Pro scouts don't care where you play ,they don't care about your newspaper clippings and they don't care how many games your college team wins all they care about is can you help their team win and that's no "hype ".

By changing colleges Cam will not alter his talent level at this point in his career . He'll be a fourth yr player and pro scouts have seen what he brings to the table . By going to UNC he might even have hurt his chances of being drafted if he doesn't get enough productive PT there .Everyone knows he has a nice shooting motion and sitting on the three point line at UNC and making 40% of his 3's isn't going to change his future . Now had he stayed at Pitt and became a team leader learned to drive to the basket and rebound to go with his shooting abilities he might have turned a few heads . Pro scouts don't care where you play ,they don't care about your newspaper clippings and they don't care how many games your college team wins all they care about is can you help their team win and that's no "hype ".
No.

Reactions: levance2
By changing colleges Cam will not alter his talent level at this point in his career . He'll be a fourth yr player and pro scouts have seen what he brings to the table ... Now had he stayed at Pitt and became a team leader learned to drive to the basket and rebound to go with his shooting abilities he might have turned a few heads .

So he can still improve in half his college career or not? Would Sam Young or Lamar Patterson have been drafted as sophomores? Clearly not.

So he can still improve in half his college career or not? Would Sam Young or Lamar Patterson have been drafted as sophomores? Clearly not.
Lamar would not have been drafted after his redshirt junior year for certain.

Sam would have been considered, but most likely not.

This is Cams forth yr and he's nowhere near the athlete Sam Young was and is . Lamar has ball skills and instincts that Cam just doesn't pocesss . Cam is the best shooter of the three although Sam was pretty good and I'd much rather have Sam put up the shot in the crucial part of a game. Can Cam improve , sure he can , but were would he receive a greater opportunity to showcase his skills . UNC has superior athletes at every position and his opportunities will be far more limited than had he stayed at Pitt .
Now I don't blame him a bit for transferring to UNC , beautiful campus , great bb tradition , an opportunity to win a national championship and an opportunity to play with great players , but unless he improves dramatically I just don't see NBA .
I hope he can live his dream of playing in the NBA , my only beef with him was his decision to transfer within the conference . Pitt was going nowhere with or without him the next two seasons .

Reactions: FireballZ
This is Cams forth yr and he's nowhere near the athlete Sam Young was and is . Lamar has ball skills and instincts that Cam just doesn't pocesss . Cam is the best shooter of the three although Sam was pretty good and I'd much rather have Sam put up the shot in the crucial part of a game. Can Cam improve , sure he can , but were would he receive a greater opportunity to showcase his skills . UNC has superior athletes at every position and his opportunities will be far more limited than had he stayed at Pitt .
Now I don't blame him a bit for transferring to UNC , beautiful campus , great bb tradition , an opportunity to win a national championship and an opportunity to play with great players , but unless he improves dramatically I just don't see NBA .
I hope he can live his dream of playing in the NBA , my only beef with him was his decision to transfer within the conference . Pitt was going nowhere with or without him the next two seasons .
I'm guessing you aren't real familiar with the NBA. If Cam can play defense and hit the 3, essentially nothing else matters. Those are the skills that matter. He wouldn't have been able to focus on those skills at Pitt because he would have had to carry a much, much larger load. I wouldn't bet on Cam as an NBA player, but I think he certainly has a much better chance than Lamar and definitely is closer (right now) than Lamar was at the same point in his career. The only shot either has/had at the NBA is as a bit player.

I'm guessing you aren't real familiar with the NBA. If Cam can play defense and hit the 3, essentially nothing else matters. Those are the skills that matter. He wouldn't have been able to focus on those skills at Pitt because he would have had to carry a much, much larger load. I wouldn't bet on Cam as an NBA player, but I think he certainly has a much better chance than Lamar and definitely is closer (right now) than Lamar was at the same point in his career. The only shot either has/had at the NBA is as a bit player.
He's not physical or athletic enough to cover an NBA three . With M Young now playing as a three there's no way Cam could defend him from what I've seen so far .

UNC has superior athletes at every position and his opportunities will be far more limited than had he stayed at Pitt .

That's the reason why so many more players get drafted from crappy teams rather than good ones, because the players at on the good teams just don't have the same opportunity to show the NBA scouts how good they really are.

That's the reason why so many more players get drafted from crappy teams rather than good ones, because the players at on the good teams just don't have the same opportunity to show the NBA scouts how good they really are.
lol

1. Washington
2. UCLA
3. Duke
4. Kansas
5. Kentucky
6. FSU
7. Arizona
8. France
9. NC State
11. Kentucky
12. Duke
13. Louisville
14. Kentucky
15. UNC
16. Creighton
17. Michigan
18. UCLA
19. Wake Forest
20. Duke
21. Australia
22. Texas
23. Indiana
24. Syracuse
25. Latvia
26. Purdue
27. Utah
28. UNC
29. Colorado
30. Villanova

So...of the 27 NCAA 1st rounders this year, only 4 came from teams with losing records.

He's not physical or athletic enough to cover an NBA three . With M Young now playing as a three there's no way Cam could defend him from what I've seen so far .
1. He has to improve there. That is everyone's point. Two things matter for him: defense and 3 point shooting.
2. Mike Young has absolutely 0 shot of being an NBA 3. None.

Apparently you guys have never heard of sarcasm. @Fsgolfdr is claiming Cam had a better NBA shot playing for 9-32 Pitt under loser Stallings than National Champion UNC under HOFer Williams, which is laughable.
Your a funny guy !
What makes you believe where you play your college ball has anything to do with your future professional career ? I guess every kid whose recruited to UNC ,Duke and Kentucky are future NBA players . They all were rated and recruited at a far greater level than Cam and most don't end up playing ball for a living in the NBA .
I guess you forgot that KS just had several first round picks from Vandy and had Cam stayed at Pitt he'd have been the focus of team .
Will he even start at UNC ?
We will all see every soon how this works out for Cam , but what I'm saying is he can be exposed at UNC as a one demenisional part player and his opportunities could be limited playing with other excellent players whereas he'd have been the man here .
You might even be right look at all "hype " he'll receive at UNC I'm sure that will impress all the scouts because " "hype " not talent is what matters most !

ADVERTISEMENT