23. Indiana
24. Syracuse
25. Latvia
26. Purdue
27. Utah
28. UNC
29. Colorado
30. Villanova

So...of the 27 NCAA 1st rounders this year, only 4 came from teams with losing records.
Better players gravitate to better college programs . L Ball plays at Pitt he's still the Lakers first round pick .

If you believe Fsgolfdr then yes. Because apparently guys on good teams don't get to show themselves for NBA scouts like players on the crappy teams do.
Let's not confuse the conversation we were talking about Cam , but let's address the point of where you play means everything. Do you really believe it's necessary to play at an elite school to have a professional career? That professional scouts cant evaluate talent ? Was Steven Adams a lottery pick because he played at Pitt for JD ? Talent is what gets you drafted and talent is what gives you a professional career not playing ball at winning program . The pros will find you if you have what it takes .
Now let's address Cam , his choices out of hs were Rice or Pitt not UNC , Duke and Kentucky . Cam isn't an elite can't miss player that has to play a yr in college before he goes to the NBA . He's a decent fourth yr player who can shoot the college 3 at 40% . There's no guarantee that he starts at UNC whereas he'd have had the entire offense revolve around him if he stayed at Pitt .
I wish him luck and I hope I'm wrong in my evaluation of his potential and I hold no grudge because he left. Pitt will suck whether he was here or not next season and if my choice was Pitt or UNC I'd be in NC too .

Reactions: FireballZ
He's not physical or athletic enough to cover an NBA three . With M Young now playing as a three there's no way Cam could defend him from what I've seen so far .
Well, if MY was covering Cam.........

Better players gravitate to better college programs . L Ball plays at Pitt he's still the Lakers first round pick .
Well.....we're no longer a decent team. Sadly, recruits seem to know that.

Well, if MY was covering Cam.........
I would think MY would win that battle , no way Cam could handle MY physical game and we've never seen MY play defense against anyone other than bigger stronger inside guys .

I would think MY would win that battle , no way Cam could handle MY physical game and we've never seen MY play defense against anyone other than bigger stronger inside guys .
He stopped playing defense after his frosh year. Really disappointed me, as he battled hard with a bad back his first year.

He stopped playing defense after his frosh year. Really disappointed me, as he battled hard with a bad back his first year.
I have no inside info ,but I'd bet that he just got mentally worn down battling inside against bigger stronger guys . Then probably having the staff get on him about his D didn't help . He didn't come to Pitt to play center or the 4 without help .

Why are you talking about MY as a "3" with a "physical game"? Michael Young has absolutely no chance, at all, of being an NBA 3. None. Could MY post Cam up right now and be successful? Sure. Is he a better NBA prospect than Cam? No. Is MY trying to play the 3 remotely similar to anyone Cam would be battling against? No.

Why are you talking about MY as a "3" with a "physical game"? Michael Young has absolutely no chance, at all, of being an NBA 3. None. Could MY post Cam up right now and be successful? Sure. Is he a better NBA prospect than Cam? No. Is MY trying to play the 3 remotely similar to anyone Cam would be battling against? No.
I've been told that is the position he's playing for the Wizards . Time will anwser the question whether either plays in the league . My thoughts are both end up overseas .

Do you really believe it's necessary to play at an elite school to have a professional career? That professional scouts cant evaluate talent ?

No, I don't believe that, which is why I think that your notion that Johnson would have some sort of great opportunity at Pitt that he won't have at North Carolina is so absurd. If he's good enough for the NBA he will be good enough whether he plays at Pitt or at North Carolina.

You are the one who is arguing that he would have a better chance to play in the NBA if he stays at Pitt than he would at North Carolina. I'm the one mocking that sort of silliness.

No, I don't believe that, which is why I think that your notion that Johnson would have some sort of great opportunity at Pitt that he won't have at North Carolina is so absurd. If he's good enough for the NBA he will be good enough whether he plays at Pitt or at North Carolina.

You are the one who is arguing that he would have a better chance to play in the NBA if he stays at Pitt than he would at North Carolina. I'm the one mocking that sort of silliness.
No I'm not , because I don't think he has a chance to play in the NBA anywhere he plays his last two seasons of college ball ,that is unless he makes one of the greatest improvements in college bb history . I've been the one saying that it's irrelevant where you play your ball at because the scouts will find you if you have the talent necessary to play in their league . Your friend, Laknowitall feels that he'll receive more "hype " by playing at UNC which will lead to him having a better chance of being drafted . Saying that , he will not get the same opportunity to showcase his talents at UNC as he would've at Pitt. . At Pitt he'd be needed to be Mr Everything at UNC he'll be their designated outside shooter . UNC will have a roster full of guys with talent that will include guys who will penetrate better , who handle the ball better ,who pass better ,who rebound better and play defense better which will limit his PT and his opportunities to impress.
Ps I think if he thought going to UNC would help him achieve his goal of playing in the NBA he's making a mistake , but if he'd like to play ball for a winning program he made the right move .

Last edited:
This thread is dumb.

A) Fsgolfdr - You are very, very wrong. I know a lot of people who believe that Cam has what it takes to play in the NBA and they are actively scouting him. His chance of playing in the league really doesn't matter whether he is at UNC or Pitt although I will say that the UNC network has a non-zero factor in his eventual placement.

B) Mike Young is not a three in the NBA. He's not. You can claim whatever you want to but Washington signed him as a stretch 4 on a 2 way contract. I know this because people in that organization have told me that. He's going to start in the G-League and they aren't convinced that he won't be able to passably defend the 3 occasionally in the right sets in the future (which is why they jumped at the deal) but right now he can't play the 3 and everyone involved knows that.

This thread is dumb.

A) Fsgolfdr - You are very, very wrong. I know a lot of people who believe that Cam has what it takes to play in the NBA and they are actively scouting him. His chance of playing in the league really doesn't matter whether he is at UNC or Pitt although I will say that the UNC network has a non-zero factor in his eventual placement.

B) Mike Young is not a three in the NBA. He's not. You can claim whatever you want to but Washington signed him as a stretch 4 on a 2 way contract. I know this because people in that organization have told me that. He's going to start in the G-League and they aren't convinced that he won't be able to passably defend the 3 occasionally in the right sets in the future (which is why they jumped at the deal) but right now he can't play the 3 and everyone involved knows that.
I read somewhere that MY was being tried at the 3 , but we will see about Cam very soon . Like I said I hope I'm wrong for his sake , but I just don't see NBA talent when I look at Cam .

Your friend, Laknowitall feels that he'll receive more "hype " by playing at UNC which will lead to him having a better chance of being drafted .

I never said he'd get more hype at UNC. I said he has no hype anywhere. He's a player who flew under the radar and is fighting for every opportunity he'll get. A player like that needs to be playing for a team that helps to highlight his strengths, and develop new ones, but also help to cover his weaknesses. At Pitt, he'd be literally the only scoring threat on the floor. Teams could triple cover Cam and just dare our freshmen to shoot, and probably still win easily. Even if he was a plus defender, the rest of the team won't be, and that isn't going to be any benefit to him.

Cam could work his way into the NBA on a number of teams, Pitt just isn't one of them. Cam needs to develop into a better player at UNC to have a chance in the NBA, but he'd have to transform into a legit 1st team AA at Pitt to make up for the extra burden placed on him if he continued here, and that is incredibly unlikely.

I don't follow the NBA, so maybe @thirteenNINE or @Jpripper88 could give a better comparison, but I don't imagine that TJ McConnell would have ended up in the NBA had he continued playing at Duquesne or Pitt instead of Arizona.

Reactions: Jpripper88
I never said he'd get more hype at UNC. I said he has no hype anywhere. He's a player who flew under the radar and is fighting for every opportunity he'll get. A player like that needs to be playing for a team that helps to highlight his strengths, and develop new ones, but also help to cover his weaknesses. At Pitt, he'd be literally the only scoring threat on the floor. Teams could triple cover Cam and just dare our freshmen to shoot, and probably still win easily. Even if he was a plus defender, the rest of the team won't be, and that isn't going to be any benefit to him.

Cam could work his way into the NBA on a number of teams, Pitt just isn't one of them. Cam needs to develop into a better player at UNC to have a chance in the NBA, but he'd have to transform into a legit 1st team AA at Pitt to make up for the extra burden placed on him if he continued here, and that is incredibly unlikely.

I don't follow the NBA, so maybe @thirteenNINE or @Jpripper88 could give a better comparison, but I don't imagine that TJ McConnell would have ended up in the NBA had he continued playing at Duquesne or Pitt instead of Arizona.

NBA scouting is a funny thing, basically unless you are a lottery pick or an obvious athletic freak of nature you really do have a better chance of making it as a player with a clearly defined role on a good team than as a do everything guy on a bad team. The reason for that isn't really national exposure, although there is a small good old boys club that can help with placement and negotiation to a limited degree if you are from somewhere like UNC or Duke, but more because if you are a fringe prospect you need a team to believe in your fit in their system and it is much easier to spotlight that with a defined collegiate role. The 2nd round of the draft is almost always a collection of shooters. athletic wing defenders and grinders who showed those skills in a specialized role in college because it makes it much easier to project that going forward.

How many guys that play in the NBA are guys that you see in college and think he's ok , but not really that special . ( besides TJ ! ) Not that many is the answer . Whether he's double or tripled teamed at Pitt , UNC or Robert Morris guys with NBA talent stand out . Pitt couldn't stop Dwane Wade or Kimba Walker with five guys defending them . Norm Nixon was an AllPro and he played at Duquesne . The scouts will find you !
There's only one guy whose going to convince me otherwise about his pro potential and that's Cam . Let's see him play at UNC . I hope he makes me change my mind .

How many guys that play in the NBA are guys that you see in college and think he's ok , but not really that special . ( besides TJ ! ) Not that many is the answer . Whether he's double or tripled teamed at Pitt , UNC or Robert Morris guys with NBA talent stand out . Pitt couldn't stop Dwane Wade or Kimba Walker with five guys defending them . Norm Nixon was an AllPro and he played at Duquesne . The scouts will find you !
There's only one guy whose going to convince me otherwise about his pro potential and that's Cam . Let's see him play at UNC . I hope he makes me change my mind .
Of the non lottery picks? A lot. Almost all of them.

If Cam were Norm Nixon, Pitt wouldn't be a bad place. Nixon didn't play for the train wreck that Duquesne is now. He played for a program that was a name brand, that had recently hit the skids after many years of success. Sounds kind of familiar doesn't it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT