ADVERTISEMENT

North Carolina recruiting

Dec 20, 2019
Does anyone have an actual logical reason why UNC is killing it like this in recruiting? Mack Brown must be one of the greatest closers in the history of the game. When I heard he was coming out of retirement I laughed....but these guys are loading up to knock off the Clemson train. Why the hell do our coaches have to work so hard for 1 freakin 4 star and this fella is racking them up like everyone's favorite grandpa...

Reactions: pitt90seven
Does anyone have an actual logical reason why UNC is killing it like this in recruiting? Mack Brown must be one of the greatest closers in the history of the game. When I heard he was coming out of retirement I laughed....but these guys are loading up to knock off the Clemson train. Why the hell do our coaches have to work so hard for 1 freakin 4 star and this fella is racking them up like everyone's favorite grandpa...

They haven't needed to leave the state for that ranking. The only recruits not from NC are 2 from neighboring states.

Reactions: HailToPitt725

I hone$tly have no idea how Mack Brown i$ killing it on the recruiting $cene. It i$ obviou$ that he i$ a $pecial kind of recruiter. $imple a$ that. Nothing more, nothing le$$.

He's always done less with more. For him to be 9-10 win coach, he needs the top 1-2%. It was that way with UNC before and during his time at Texas.

Go back and look at the talent he assembled at UNC during his 1st run. They never won a weak ACC title.

It doesn't a rocket scientist. UNC decided to take football seriously and that means doing ANYTHING that's required. This is how Clemson got going. To recruit at those levels, it takes a systematic method of paying players. They are doing it now and they will be handsomely rewarded. Whenever you see the Baylors and Mississippi's all of a sudden land top classes, there's an obvious reason why.

They are certainly putting together a strong class. Let's check back in year 2 or 3 and see how he is doing with these guys. That will be the answer to how Mack Brown is doing.

This isn’t rocket science. He’s an elite recruiter. He went out and hired a young staff geared towards recruiting.

People that think, “first you win, then you recruit,” are wrong, and always have been wrong about how it works.

It’s, “first you care about recruiting. You implement a structure that shows you care about recruiting. And then you recruit.”

Last edited:
They are certainly putting together a strong class. Let's check back in year 2 or 3 and see how he is doing with these guys. That will be the answer to how Mack Brown is doing.

That wouldn’t really speak to how he’s recruiting though. Just to how he’s coaching.

UNC is dirty, gives players diplomas, and never endures penalties...They are the Penn State of the ACC. Cheaters win. Big cheaters win big.
Sounds like a good way of going about the big business of college sports. Pitt and its fans want no part of this yet call for coaches to be on the hot seat after year three.

This isn’t rocket science. He’s an elite recruiter. He went out and hired a young staff geared towards recruiting.

People that think, “first you win, then you recruit,” are wrong, and always have been wrong about how it works.

It’s, “first you care about recruiting. You implement a structure that shows you care about recruiting. And then you recruit.”
Okay, suppose that is the case because that sounds logical; what is their pitch. Hey we sucked for the last few years but if you come we wont suck anymore. Somehow he has convinced these kids that they can win and win big.

wow what a bunch of losers in this thread

the honest answer - rather than just being a sour grapes bitch and assuming it’s 100% due to bag men - is (i) right now Dre Bly is the hottest recruiter in the country

and if you know him and his personality, you’ll understand why

and (ii) they are capitalizing on a historically strong year in state, and still riding momentum of the “new coach bump,” which- kinda like non-committable offers - is a concept this board doesn’t understand

Reactions: HailToPitt725
It doesn't a rocket scientist. UNC decided to take football seriously and that means doing ANYTHING that's required. This is how Clemson got going. To recruit at those levels, it takes a systematic method of paying players. They are doing it now and they will be handsomely rewarded. Whenever you see the Baylors and Mississippi's all of a sudden land top classes, there's an obvious reason why.
Yea I hear you. For what it's worth I hope you are right. As another poster pointed out though they are pretty much cleaning up in their back yard. Imagine what our recruiting class would look like this year if we were able to do that...and no I'm not saying we need to kiss a bunch of local teenagers a$$es Lord know that's been discussed enough on this board. I'm just saying maybe there is something to be learned from their strategy; its cheaper and usually easier to dominate your backyard when your not quite a national brand like the Notre Dames and Alabamas of the world. Maybe Narduzzi should back off of the love me or hate me stuff a bit; it kinda rubs people the wrong way.

Yea I hear you. For what it's worth I hope you are right. As another poster pointed out though they are pretty much cleaning up in their back yard. Imagine what our recruiting class would look like this year if we were able to do that...and no I'm not saying we need to kiss a bunch of local teenagers a$$es Lord know that's been discussed enough on this board. I'm just saying maybe there is something to be learned from their strategy; its cheaper and usually easier to dominate your backyard when your not quite a national brand like the Notre Dames and Alabamas of the world. Maybe Narduzzi should back off of the love me or hate me stuff a bit; it kinda rubs people the wrong way.
So basically Mack Brown is recruiting like Wannstedt did (who also had a rep as a strong recruiter), maybe Mack is doing a slightly better job at getting the local talent. Where did that get us? Over the course of 6 years, it got us a couple of 9 win regular seasons in a watered down Big East. We'll see if Mack can do better.

So basically Mack Brown is recruiting like Wannstedt did (who also had a rep as a strong recruiter), maybe Mack is doing a slightly better job at getting the local talent. Where did that get us? Over the course of 6 years, it got us a couple of 9 win regular seasons in a watered down Big East. We'll see if Mack can do better.
The difference might be that Mack recruited a difference maker at QB.

Okay, suppose that is the case because that sounds logical; what is their pitch. Hey we sucked for the last few years but if you come we wont suck anymore. Somehow he has convinced these kids that they can win and win big.

I have no idea what the pitch is. This would be like some dude telling you how he always talks his way into a hot girl’s panties. There’s probably not an exact “pitch” per se. He just gets how to talk, and you can’t replicate it even if he gave you a transcript of the convo.

If I had to guess what a general theme would be, it’s selling them on staying home and making the local team great. That generally is appealing. But their ability to talk video games and cars and girls and about life In general, and do so in a way that makes kids like them, is the key.

Recruiting is not about going into a kids house with index cards that say, “Hi my name is (Insert Name Here).”

wow what a bunch of losers in this thread

the honest answer - rather than just being a sour grapes bitch and assuming it’s 100% due to bag men - is (i) right now Dre Bly is the hottest recruiter in the country

and if you know him and his personality, you’ll understand why

and (ii) they are capitalizing on a historically strong year in state, and still riding momentum of the “new coach bump,” which- kinda like non-committable offers - is a concept this board doesn’t understand

Dude, UNC has a history of cheating. You can't just ignore it when you seen a huge bump. Not saying you're wrong but you need to take the cynicism with a grain of salt.

Dude, UNC has a history of cheating. You can't just ignore it when you seen a huge bump. Not saying you're wrong but you need to take the cynicism with a grain of salt.

But UNC is outspending the SEC for recruits? At best they are spending the same amount. Which then leads to the same question: how are they winning the battle for the recruit?

Reactions: pittdan77

Wanny never approached anything like UNC's current recruiting.

Reactions: 4Mark_Marty
Also, I should add, Mack Brown can flat out close. If you follow college football goin

dude, do you see the schools they're winning recruiting battles against?? look at their past half dozen commits . . . they are winning head-to-head against schools with deeper booster connections & frankly more bagmen.

rather than just chalk it up to "cheating," which is what ******* losers do, take a second to actually understand how they're doing it.

they understand they have an ace recruiter on staff, and they're doubling & tripling down on Bly's ability to open doors given his connections in the Tidewater area...and then he's passing the baton to Mack Brown - who was a top notch closer at Texas - to seal the deal.

a historically strong class in the area has helped. and the two-pronged sales pitch of (i) "the ACC is open for the taking" given they can (ii) "build around a QB with elite traits" is resonating with high school coaches in the area.

I think they got a break with a 5 star qb in their backyard last year and people want to play with him. Western Pa needs a big time QB recruit that will come here to play

Reactions: TONY13
Wanny never approached anything like UNC's current recruiting.
Ranking wise Wannstedt never had a class as high as UNC's current class, but Wannstedt did recruit Revis and Donald (two pretty likely future NFL Hall of Famers), as well as Shady McCoy (maybe borderline future HOFer?), and other very good pro players like Dion Lewis and Jabaal Sheard, not to mention some guys who were outstanding in college but never really made it in the pros. I'll be curious to see how many of these UNC recruits and others that Mack gets over the next few years are as elite as those guys.

Also, I should add, Mack Brown can flat out close. If you follow college football goin

dude, do you see the schools they're winning recruiting battles against?? look at their past half dozen commits . . . they are winning head-to-head against schools with deeper booster connections & frankly more bagmen.

rather than just chalk it up to "cheating," which is what ******* losers do, take a second to actually understand how they're doing it.

they understand they have an ace recruiter on staff, and they're doubling & tripling down on Bly's ability to open doors given his connections in the Tidewater area...and then he's passing the baton to Mack Brown - who was a top notch closer at Texas - to seal the deal.

a historically strong class in the area has helped. and the two-pronged sales pitch of (i) "the ACC is open for the taking" given they can (ii) "build around a QB with elite traits" is resonating with high school coaches in the area.

Deep breath. I didn't say you're wrong. I get it. Just telling you that UNC doesn't have a reputation for being squeaky clean. You shouldn't be shocked that there is a bit of cynicism here.

Ranking wise Wannstedt never had a class as high as UNC's current class, but Wannstedt did recruit Revis and Donald (two pretty likely future NFL Hall of Famers), as well as Shady McCoy (maybe borderline future HOFer?), and other very good pro players like Dion Lewis and Jabaal Sheard, not to mention some guys who were outstanding in college but never really made it in the pros. I'll be curious to see how many of these UNC recruits and others that Mack gets over the next few years are as elite as those guys.

Walt Harris recruited Revis.

The entire you recruit 1st win 2nd thing is nice in theory. I've seen guys who can recruit their ass off at a blue blood. Take them to a stepping stone and they're just like everyone else. I have a good friend who coached at MD for a few years and now coaches at OSU. He said his job is like night and day when it comes to recruiting. I asked him have you changed anything? Nope.. If anything, I don't recruit as hard.

The entire you recruit 1st win 2nd thing is nice in theory. I've seen guys who can recruit their ass off at a blue blood. Take them to a stepping stone and they're just like everyone else. I have a good friend who coached at MD for a few years and now coaches at OSU. He said his job is like night and day when it comes to recruiting. I asked him have you changed anything? Nope.. If anything, I don't recruit as hard.
Ohio State has a lot more built-in advantages for recruiting than Maryland does. Urban Meyer and now Ryan Day obviously took Ohio State's recruiting to an even higher level than normal, but in general, you and a few of your friends could take over today and reel in a Top 15 class at Ohio State, at worst.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT