Category Pitt UVa
NET. 44. 49
Q1 2-6. 2-6
Q2 5-2 6-3
Q3 5-2 7-0
Q4 7-0 6-0
Road 7-4 5-6

Head to head: Pitt

Do you really take UVa because Pitt lost to Missouri? The home loss to Syracuse being a Q3 is absurd. Hopefully the committee realizes that isnt a true Q3 loss.

Category Pitt UVa
NET. 44. 49
Q1 2-6. 2-6
Q2 5-2 6-3
Q3 5-2 7-0
Q4 7-0 6-0
Road 7-4 5-6

Do you really take UVa because Pitt lost to Missouri? The home loss to Syracuse being a Q3 is absurd. Hopefully the committee realizes that isnt a true Q3 loss.
Pitt’s best hope is that the ACC will certainly get 4, and probably 5 teams.

And with our road record, our H2H vs Wake and UVA (2-1), our metric scores, I think we can position ourselves with 2 more home wins as clearly the 4th best ACC team.

Think it's a good bit better than 50/50 that we make it with 2 more regular season wins and 1 ACC tournament win. And if we make it, we're a dangerous team if we shoot it. And at the very least, it's nice to be having these discussions in March for the 2nd time in 2 years.

Normally I’m with you. Tourney appearances as a barometer do nothing for me. And I’m not sure this is a team that would do nothing. We saw last year how fun it can be, even if it’s for a weekend. And if Pitt wins their last two and makes it in, that makes them dangerous and thus fun to watch. Unlike teams in our past who squeezed in, scored 40 points and did nothing.
I continue to find your approach to sports viewing really strange, lol.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, or 3 times, shame on me. That’s how I live my life.

You and I watch a lot of sports. We know when teams are good or not. We know when teams can win games in the post season. And making the post season for the sake of making it does nothing for me if you’re a sacrificial lamb. But If this team gets in, I don’t think they’re a sacrificial lamb because they need to be playing great basketball to get in.

Category Pitt UVa
NET. 44. 49
Q1 2-6. 2-6
Q2 5-2 6-3
Q3 5-2 7-0
Q4 7-0 6-0
Road 7-4 5-6

The ACC is just as good as the Big10 and most people have them getting 6 teams in the field. They can both make it.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, or 3 times, shame on me. That’s how I live my life.

You and I watch a lot of sports. We know when teams are good or not. We know when teams can win games in the post season. And making the post season for the sake of making it does nothing for me if you’re a sacrificial lamb. But If this team gets in, I don’t think they’re a sacrificial lamb because they need to be playing great basketball to get in.
I dunno man. There’s such a small number of teams who have a realistic shot at winning a title. Pitt volleyball is one. Hoops and football ain’t. No team in the NFL is making it out of the AFC so long as Mahommes is healthy. Pirates and pens ain’t winning. No team except Denver and Boston (and maybe Milwaukee) have a chance of winning the NBA title.

So if you’re a fan for any of those other teams and you adopt the viewing attitude you have, then why watch at all?

I dunno man. There’s such a small number of teams who have a realistic shot at winning a title. Pitt volleyball is one. Hoops and football ain’t. No team in the NFL is making it out of the AFC so long as Mahommes is healthy. Pirates and pens ain’t winning. No team except Denver and Boston (and maybe Milwaukee) have a chance of winning the NBA title.

So if you’re a fan for any of those other teams and you adopt the viewing attitude you have, then why watch at all?
Well you watch and you learn about your team. Take the Pens for example. A playoff appearance means absolutely nothing because they won’t win a round. They aren’t good. Same with these steeler teams over the past several years. The same with Jamie’s last few Pitt teams.

So a playoff participation trophy, for the sake of simply making it to the playoffs, means nothing. The only caveat I’ll add is that in college a tourney appearance might be something tangible that helps with program perception. You’ve pointed that out to me in the past and it’s a fair point. But if Pitt’s on the right side of the bubble or the wrong side this year, they’re close enough that prospective athletes aren’t going to be fooled by where the program is in this snapshot in time.

Long and short of it is this…I hope we get in. This has been a fun team to follow the last couple of months. They’ve shown fight and they’ve shown improvement. And that’s a good formula for a taste of post season success.

The ACC is just as good as the Big10 and most people have them getting 6 teams in the field. They can both make it.
Maybe, but there are probably more deserving teams than Virginia not in the ACC. Like if you only have two Q1 wins, the committee needs a reason to put you in. Surging down the stretch like Pitt is a reason to be in. Faltering down the stretch and struggling to score is a great reason to keep you out.

Reactions: Dewey Eye

He is saying that these Pitt teams can shoot their way to an Elite 8 or Final Four. Not that they will but they can score so they can get on a hot streak and go on a run. Jamie's teams couldn't score so you they had to make sure they held their opponent under 55 and that's not sustainable.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
He is saying that these Pitt teams can shoot their way to an Elite 8 or Final Four. Not that they will but they can score so they can get on a hot streak and go on a run. Jamie's teams couldn't score so you they had to make sure they held their opponent under 55 and that's not sustainable.
Absolutely, elite offensive teams win the NCAA Tournament. Don't get me wrong, having plus athletes that can defend matters, but,in the end, give me the team that has 3 or 4 guys capable of dropping 30 any given night.

Put your mind at ease the only way UVA makes the tourament is to win the acc.

I mean they’ve beaten one tourney team at full strength, Wake. And wake beat them by a billion the other game. Not to take anything away from what they’ve done. They’ve done what you’re supposed to do and beat whos in front of them. But this team isn’t better than Dixon’s last few. They’re very comparable and in that they scheduled light, beat who they should and really are just the definition of average.

Category Pitt UVa
NET. 44. 49
Q1 2-6. 2-6
Q2 5-2 6-3
Q3 5-2 7-0
Q4 7-0 6-0
Road 7-4 5-6

Why are you bitching about something that hasn’t happened and may not.
?

I mean they’ve beaten one tourney team at full strength, Wake. And wake beat them by a billion the other game. Not to take anything away from what they’ve done. They’ve done what you’re supposed to do and beat whos in front of them. But this team isn’t better than Dixon’s last few. They’re very comparable and in that they scheduled light, beat who they should and really are just the definition of average.
That might be true. But anyone who thought those later Jamie teams would do something that the really good Jamie teams could never do were fools. And that’s the point. This team has flaws. We know what they are. They are flaws in its construction. But they could get hot and go on a run. Will they? Unlikely. Heck a lot still has to happen for them to get the chance.

That might be true. But anyone who thought those later Jamie teams would do something that the really good Jamie teams could never do were fools. And that’s the point. This team has flaws. We know what they are. They are flaws in its construction. But they could get hot and go on a run. Will they? Unlikely. Heck a lot still has to happen for them to get the chance.
i guess if you ignore the fact they haven’t beat any full strength ncaa teams outside of Wake I guess they could make a run? I’m not sure why all of a sudden they would now. But stranger things have happened

They have better offensive players. They can go on a San Diego State type run or lose in the 1st Round of the NIT.

Category Pitt UVa
NET. 44. 49
Q1 2-6. 2-6
Q2 5-2 6-3
Q3 5-2 7-0
Q4 7-0 6-0
Road 7-4 5-6

If Pitt beats FSU & NCSU and UVa beats GT, I think they're both in.

Category Pitt UVa
NET. 44. 49
Q1 2-6. 2-6
Q2 5-2 6-3
Q3 5-2 7-0
Q4 7-0 6-0
Road 7-4 5-6

UVA is going to have a better ACC record, assuming they beat GA Tech.(and as bad as this UVA team is, that's far from a sure thing). UVA had better non-conference results with wins over TAMU & Florida.

Regardless, UVA & Pitt have both had mediocre years, and neither team has any real beef if they are on the outside looking in.

The ACC is basically a 2 team league this year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT