ADVERTISEMENT

O.T. Whiskey/Bourbon recommendations

leasematthew

Redshirt
Gold Member
Apr 12, 2005
Looking for some good whiskey/bourbon recommendations. I relatively novice to the scene and am still figuring out what I enjoy. I'm a member at a bar that has about 1800 bottles, so I think that even most difficult to find bottles are available. I'm trying to keep the pours not crazy expensive (under 50, staying away from the Yamazaki and McCallan's) So far my favorite is Colonel EH Taylor single barrel, so I think I tend to like bourbons more, but really just looking for some good things to try, any input is greatly appreciated.

Woodford reserve doubled oaked is always in my house.

There's a ton of really good bourbons out there. My state store recently opened up a 2nd row of shelves just for bourbon because so many people are drinking it these days.

I tend to stay away from the cheaper bourbons as their flavor just isn't there for me. Bullit is the one cheap bourbon that if I am mixing to make old fashioneds or Manhattans, i do enjoy that one.

I try to always buy something new when I make my state runs and sometimes you hit and sometimes you miss. Just drink up and make a list of what you like.

I like Liberty Pole. But I haven’t gotten a bottle since their big expansion so I don’t know if the quality has dropped.

Looking for some good whiskey/bourbon recommendations. I relatively novice to the scene and am still figuring out what I enjoy. I'm a member at a bar that has about 1800 bottles, so I think that even most difficult to find bottles are available. I'm trying to keep the pours not crazy expensive (under 50, staying away from the Yamazaki and McCallan's) So far my favorite is Colonel EH Taylor single barrel, so I think I tend to like bourbons more, but really just looking for some good things to try, any input is greatly appreciated.
Boy, where to start ... EHTSB is a decent Bourbon, and if you like it you might want to try Elijah Craig and Four Roses Small Batch and/or Single Barrel for comparison. Best to try a few - perhaps side-by-side with 1 oz pours (sip them "neat") - to see what you like or don't like. Much of the Buffalo Trace family of Bourbon (Weller, Eagle Rare, Blanton's, Pappy Van Winkle) is becoming too expensive to enjoy.

One of my personal bourbon favorites that you should be able to find for under 60 a bottle is Old Forester 1920 Prohibition Style

As for other whiskey, a good Rye is always useful if you like to drink a Manhattan. Bulleit and Rittenhouse make good ones for about 25-35 a bottle. If you can find it, the Terry Bradshaw Rye is really a good choice for mixing

A good entry level Irish Whisky is Teeling Small Batch (30 ish); a good entry level Scotch (smoky/peated) is Laphroag 10 year old (40 ish) and a great non-peated is Glenmorangie 12 year old Lasanta. You can sometimes find the Glenmorangie Lasanta packaged with a bottle of Ardbeg An Oa (a better smoky/peated pour than the Laphroag, IMO) for under 100

Have fun exploring! I have a modest collection; about 40 odd bottles of various Scotch, Bourbon, Rye, American Single Malt, and Irish Whisky. It's been mostly accumulated since the pandemic hit. I like experimenting 🥃🥃🥃

Boy, where to start ... EHTSB is a decent Bourbon, and if you like it you might want to try Elijah Craig and Four Roses Small Batch and/or Single Barrel for comparison. Best to try a few - perhaps side-by-side with 1 oz pours (sip them "neat") - to see what you like or don't like. Much of the Buffalo Trace family of Bourbon (Weller, Eagle Rare, Blanton's, Pappy Van Winkle) is becoming too expensive to enjoy.

One of my personal bourbon favorites that you should be able to find for under 60 a bottle is Old Forester 1920 Prohibition Style

As for other whiskey, a good Rye is always useful if you like to drink a Manhattan. Bulleit and Rittenhouse make good ones for about 25-35 a bottle. If you can find it, the Terry Bradshaw Rye is really a good choice for mixing

A good entry level Irish Whisky is Teeling Small Batch (30 ish); a good entry level Scotch (smoky/peated) is Laphroag 10 year old (40 ish) and a great non-peated is Glenmorangie 12 year old Lasanta. You can sometimes find the Glenmorangie Lasanta packaged with a bottle of Ardbeg An Oa (a better smoky/peated pour than the Laphroag, IMO) for under 100

Have fun exploring! I have a modest collection; about 40 odd bottles of various Scotch, Bourbon, Rye, American Single Malt, and Irish Whisky. It's been mostly accumulated since the pandemic hit. I like experimenting 🥃🥃🥃
The old forester prohibition stuff if very good. I usually go with their highest proof, I forgot which year it is

Big fan of Breckenridge right around the $50 price point

Bulleit is my go-to for low cost everyday drinking. I also really like Knob Creek Smoked Maple. Anything from Woodford or Jefferson are always solid. Although, i havent been a fan of Jefferson's Aged at Sea series.

Bulleit is my go-to for low cost everyday drinking. I also really like Knob Creek Smoked Maple. Anything from Woodford or Jefferson are always solid. Although, i havent been a fan of Jefferson's Aged at Sea series.
Jefferson aged is very overrated in my opinion. Cool concept but lacks quality, especially when you factor in their price.

Knob creek is also medicore but I do like the smoked maple with the right setting (campfire)

Doing a blind tasting is a great way to narrow down what you prefer. That can be a fun date night as well.

Some of my favorite bottles in the cabinet at the moment. I like high proof bourbon.

Stagg Barrel Proof
Elijah Craig Single Barrel
Very Olde St. Nick (Faith & Conviction)
Calumet Farm 15 yr
Wild Turkey Rare Breed
Old Forester 1920
Belle Meade Reserve

Lower proof options

Old Elk Wheated
Uncle Nearest 1884
Michter's

Irish Whiskey
Redbreast Single Pot Cast strength
Powers (a distant 2nd)

For cocktails

Old Forester entry bottle ($25)
Old Scout ($35) that's a great value bottle as is the Rare Breed.

Cheers.

Last edited:

Same here. I tend to stick to Bulleit and Four Roses if looking to go even cheaper. I like whiskey but I’m by no means a connoisseur.

Reactions: Tucker99
Since you belong to a club that has a huge variety, just try different stuff until you find something you like. It's a lot more fun and you will figure out what you prefer. Frankly, I've only ever had a couple expensive glasses of whiskey or bourbon in my life that were exceptional compared to the less expensive stuff. Frankly, I find myself enjoying Irish whiskey more.

Woodford is my go to bourbon but tried Longbranch for the first time and was decent. One of the best I have tried was Blanton's at my neighbors house. She didn't have any good beer and Blanton's was the only whiskey she had. She made me take one for the team and finish the bottle which was a nice 4 finger pour :)

Since you belong to a club that has a huge variety, just try different stuff until you find something you like. It's a lot more fun and you will figure out what you prefer. Frankly, I've only ever had a couple expensive glasses of whiskey or bourbon in my life that were exceptional compared to the less expensive stuff. Frankly, I find myself enjoying Irish whiskey more.
Dan, have you ever tried Limavady, Redbreast Lustau, or Teeling Small Batch Irish whiskey? I like the Lustau better than the Redbreast 12, as it's finished in sherry cask barrels

Your advice about trying until you find what you like mirrors mine. As I peruse my liquor cabinet the labels I purchased are hardly everyday names. Many of those were tasted prior to my buying

Too many choices; not enough time. But as my uncle used to say, "life is too short to drink cheap whiskey"

Reactions: 303vND
Doing a blind tasting is a great way to narrow down what you prefer. That can be a fun date night as well.

Some of my favorite bottles in the cabinet at the moment. I like high proof bourbon.

Stagg Barrel Proof
Elijah Craig Single Barrel
Very Olde St. Nick (Faith & Conviction)
Calumet Farm 15 yr
Wild Turkey Rare Breed
Old Forester 1920
Belle Meade Reserve

Lower proof options

Old Elk Wheated
Uncle Nearest 1884
Michter's

Irish Whiskey
Redbreast Single Pot Cast strength
Powers (a distant 2nd)

For cocktails

Old Forester entry bottle ($25)
Old Scout ($35) that's a great value bottle as is the Rare Breed.

Cheers.
Belle Meade Reserve is what I'm now using for my Old Fashioned cocktails.

If you can find Redbreast Lustau you should give it a try. Same with Green Spot or Linavady (Irish)

Reactions: joeydavid
Dan, have you ever tried Limavady, Redbreast Lustau, or Teeling Small Batch Irish whiskey? I like the Lustau better than the Redbreast 12, as it's finished in sherry cask barrels

Your advice about trying until you find what you like mirrors mine. As I peruse my liquor cabinet the labels I purchased are hardly everyday names. Many of those were tasted prior to my buying

Too many choices; not enough time. But as my uncle used to say, "life is too short to drink cheap whiskey"
Haha, you're uncle isn't wrong but sometimes you just need to do shots of JD with your friends.

I have not tried those small batch Irish whiskey's but I'm making a note to try. Appreciate the suggestions. My workhorse whiskey is Jameson Black Barrel. It's a little smoother, IMO, and that matters because I like to drink it with just a little ice. I've also find myself drinking more gin.

Reactions: Parkview57
There is a lot of good stuff, not just BT products.

I always have these on hand:
Russel’s Reserve 10
Wild Turkey Rare Breed
Knob Creek 9
Old Grand Dad 114 or BiB
Good stuff, all! Maker's Mark 46 and Early Times - for the price point - are also good pours. I really like Buffalo Trace, Russel's Reserve Double Oaked and Four Roses Small Batch, also.

@leasematthew

A few more thoughts about Bourbon ...

1) if you really want to learn and taste, consider visiting Kentucky and spending a few days touring the Bourbon Trail. I was passing through Louisville last summer and went to Peerless. They are a very small producer, but also one of the oldest. Their Bourbon (and Rye) are amazing. Bit pricey but totally worth it. Old Forester is also in Louisville and would've been my second choice had I had more time to spend. I knew that I liked OF; but I now know that Peerless is a solid choice, too

2) If you're ever in Waco TX, visit Balcones distillery. Their Blue Corn Cask Strength Bourbon is to die for. Several other TX distilleries worth visiting; that state has some really good whiskeys

3) As you probably know, Bourbon (by law) must be at least 51% corn (in the mashbill) and aged in new American oak barrels. It can come from any US state. (Jack Daniel's is technically a Tennessee bourbon) The characteristic flavors that contribute to the bourbon's taste are found mostly in the other grains that make up the mash. Bourbon that contains a lot of wheat in its mashbill tends to be sweeter in flavor; EH Taylor is in that category, as is Weller's.

Bourbon that contains a lot of rye in its mashbill tends to be a bit more spicy in flavor (think Knob Creek, e.g.). The more you know about what's inside the recipe will help you understand and decide whether you like one of the grains (wheat or rye) better than the other; or enjoy them equally

Haha, you're uncle isn't wrong but sometimes you just need to do shots of JD with your friends.

I have not tried those small batch Irish whiskey's but I'm making a note to try. Appreciate the suggestions. My workhorse whiskey is Jameson Black Barrel. It's a little smoother, IMO, and that matters because I like to drink it with just a little ice. I've also find myself drinking more gin.
A solid gin to try (if you haven't already) is either Gray Whale or The Botanist

Reactions: pittdan77
@leasematthew

A few more thoughts about Bourbon ...

1) if you really want to learn and taste, consider visiting Kentucky and spending a few days touring the Bourbon Trail. I was passing through Louisville last summer and went to Peerless. They are a very small producer, but also one of the oldest. Their Bourbon (and Rye) are amazing. Bit pricey but totally worth it. Old Forester is also in Louisville and would've been my second choice had I had more time to spend. I knew that I liked OF; but I now know that Peerless is a solid choice, too

2) If you're ever in Waco TX, visit Balcones distillery. Their Blue Corn Cask Strength Bourbon is to die for. Several other TX distilleries worth visiting; that state has some really good whiskeys

3) As you probably know, Bourbon (by law) must be at least 51% corn (in the mashbill) and aged in new American oak barrels. It can come from any US state. (Jack Daniel's is technically a Tennessee bourbon) The characteristic flavors that contribute to the bourbon's taste are found mostly in the other grains that make up the mash. Bourbon that contains a lot of wheat in its mashbill tends to be sweeter in flavor; EH Taylor is in that category, as is Weller's.

Bourbon that contains a lot of rye in its mashbill tends to be a bit more spicy in flavor (think Knob Creek, e.g.). The more you know about what's inside the recipe will help you understand and decide whether you like one of the grains (wheat or rye) better than the other; or enjoy them equally
Thank you for the advice. I'm pretty much a novice but found I really enjoy learning about (and tasting, haha) different spirits. I'm actually doing an Oregon distillery tour with my wife in a few weeks. Westward is the only one I'm familiar with, so I'm looking forward to trying some new stuff.

If you like EHTSB, try Henry McKenna single barrel or Four Roses single (mentioned previously). Those are all bottled in bond at 100 proof and I consider them all in that same wheelhouse. Different mashbills and age statements but all very nice sipping bourbons.

For any Pitt fans that enjoy bourbon, if you go to the Cincy game this fall, plan to take a short drive across the river to hit New Riff distillery. They have a nice tasting bar and most of the bottles they pour are available for sale.

Reactions: leasematthew
Great advice. That’s how I started to enjoy bourbon years ago.

Reactions: pittdan77
If you like EHTSB, try Henry McKenna single barrel or Four Roses single (mentioned previously). Those are all bottled in bond at 100 proof and I consider them all in that same wheelhouse. Different mashbills and age statements but all very nice sipping bourbons.

For any Pitt fans that enjoy bourbon, if you go to the Cincy game this fall, plan to take a short drive across the river to hit New Riff distillery. They have a nice tasting bar and most of the bottles they pour are available for sale.
I have an unopened bottle of New Riff that I need to try - I bought it at the behest of a fellow Bourbon lover whose palate I trust

I might be in the minority but I do not like 4 roses at all. I know it's a popular one for many, but it might be my least enjoyable bourbon experience

Thank you for the advice. I'm pretty much a novice but found I really enjoy learning about (and tasting, haha) different spirits. I'm actually doing an Oregon distillery tour with my wife in a few weeks. Westward is the only one I'm familiar with, so I'm looking forward to trying some new stuff.
When you visit Oregon I hope you're planning on going to Bend. Oregon Spirits Bottled in Bond Bourbon (100 proof) is solid. And Deschutes Brewery is there, too.

When you visit Oregon I hope you're planning on going to Bend. Oregon Spirits Bottled in Bond Bourbon (100 proof) is solid. And Deschutes Brewery is there, too.

I live in Portland, huge fan of Bend also. The beer scene here is fantastic, not sure what Fort George's distribution range is, but their small batch Matryoshka stouts are insanely good. I would recommend picking one up if you come across them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT