ADVERTISEMENT

O.T. Whiskey/Bourbon recommendations

Rat, are you drinking either the Small Batch or Single Barrel? Those two are light year's ahead of the entry level ... just curious
I have tried both...for some reason it doesn't agree with my palate...which goes back to the various comments of doing blind tastes and expanding and trying different ones.

Reactions: Chairman Moe
Looking for some good whiskey/bourbon recommendations. I relatively novice to the scene and am still figuring out what I enjoy. I'm a member at a bar that has about 1800 bottles, so I think that even most difficult to find bottles are available. I'm trying to keep the pours not crazy expensive (under 50, staying away from the Yamazaki and McCallan's) So far my favorite is Colonel EH Taylor single barrel, so I think I tend to like bourbons more, but really just looking for some good things to try, any input is greatly appreciated.
I know its bottom shelf but when the wife has been nagging me for three hours straight for some reason I always go with Old Crow....

Jack Daniel's single select is good but I avoid Jack's other products...

(Don't get me wrong...if a neighbor offers a cheap whisky or bourbon I won't pass...but if I'm buying for myself to sip while watching a game, I go snobby mode.)

I live in Portland, huge fan of Bend also. The beer scene here is fantastic, not sure what Fort George's distribution range is, but their small batch Matryoshka stouts are insanely good. I would recommend picking one up if you come across them.
Maybe I should've asked you earlier where you live! Clearly I assumed Pittsburgh!! 🤪 That said, I live in Arizona so we might get Fort George. I'll look for it; thanks.

BTW, the biggest plus I've heard about buying liquor in OR is that they don't gouge the prices on the "hot brands", and there's no added sales tax

Happy exploring in your search for great bourbon. Since you are out west, check for Bourbon from our state as well as Colorado, Wyoming, and Nevada. If you've never tried Frey Ranch (NV) you must. Delbac from AZ. Woody Creek and Laws are two solid CO brands. I've only tried Wyoming Whiskey a couple of times and was not overly impressed

Cheers!

Reactions: leasematthew
A solid gin to try (if you haven't already) is either Gray Whale or The Botanist
The Botanist is my favorite gin.

Has anyone had Wyoming Whiskey? My brother in law is from South Dakota and he and my sister have twice brought back bottles for me after visiting his family. I think it's pretty good. He says it has just become available in PA state stores. I wouldn't think it's too expensive.

For bourbon I usually drink Maker's Mark, Woodford Reserve or Blantons. I generally drink scotch in the winter and gin in the summer, however.

Has anyone had Wyoming Whiskey? My brother in law is from South Dakota and he and my sister have twice brought back bottles for me after visiting his family. I think it's pretty good. He says it has just become available in PA state stores. I wouldn't think it's too expensive.

For bourbon I usually drink Maker's Mark, Woodford Reserve or Blantons. I generally drink scotch in the winter and gin in the summer, however.
Wyoming Whiskey wasn't as great (for my palate) to me as I'd hoped, but their double oak version is ok. I know it's not distilled in WY, but the "Yellowstone" label is a solid pour; especially their higher proof ones

I started exploring Scotch during the pandemic and have become more engaged in that than in Bourbon. All Single Malts; mostly from Islay or Highland. I like my peat and smoke

Angels Envy is a wonderful smooth bourbon. About 50 per bottle.

.I've only tried Wyoming Whiskey a couple of times and was not overly impressed

Cheers!
I just noticed we both mentioned WW while posting at the same time. I liked the first bottle I had better than the second. I'm wondering if there can be much of a variance between bottles, I'm misremembering the initial taste, or if that's a quality control issue.

I started exploring Scotch during the pandemic and have become more engaged in that than in Bourbon. All Single Malts; mostly from Islay or Highland. I like my peat and smoke
Laphroaig and Lagavulin are two of my favorite scotches. Somewhere I have the deed to a plot of land on Islay given to me by Laphroig. I think it's one square meter. If I remember correctly, they were concerned that the government was going to take the land that was the source of their water supply by eminent domain. By giving away the land to 10,000 of their customers spread around the world they prevented that from happening.

Haha, you're uncle isn't wrong but sometimes you just need to do shots of JD with your friends.

I have not tried those small batch Irish whiskey's but I'm making a note to try. Appreciate the suggestions. My workhorse whiskey is Jameson Black Barrel. It's a little smoother, IMO, and that matters because I like to drink it with just a little ice. I've also find myself drinking more gin.

Here's my favorite gin. You can drink it on a cube. Locally made as well.

Just had Wyoming Whiskey... who knew they make a solid whiskey. It was the small batch 88 proof. Very good flavor at a low proof.

Here's my favorite gin. You can drink it on a cube. Locally made as well.

That sounds good. I like vanilla. I don't like cucumber, which is why I don't care for Hendricks.

I just noticed we both mentioned WW while posting at the same time. I liked the first bottle I had better than the second. I'm wondering if there can be much of a variance between bottles, I'm misremembering the initial taste, or if that's a quality control issue.
Barrel variation is probably more evident in smaller batch whiskies, IMO. The "big blenders" like Makers Mark, Jim Beam, et al, are using a recipe that allows them to create a pretty consistent flavor. Not so much with folks like WW. I was planning on visiting WW this past summer but plans changed and I visited Peerless and Balcones instead.

Don't know if you saw, but if you can score a bottle of Frey Ranch Bourbon you'll not be disappointed

Reactions: JS School
Ultra Premium
Sazerac 18 yr Rye
George T. Stagg
Willett 8 yr Rye You Always Hatin'

Premium
Weller Full Proof
Weller Antique
Angel's Envy Rye finished in Caribbean Rum casks
Blanton's Gold
Old Overholt 10 yr Cask Strength Rye

Others
Elijah Craig Toasted Barrel
High West A Mid Winter Nights Dram
Larceny Barrel Proof A123 or C923

Entry
Sazerac Rye
Weller Special Reserve
Buffalo Trace

Laphroaig and Lagavulin are two of my favorite scotches. Somewhere I have the deed to a plot of land on Islay given to me by Laphroig. I think it's one square meter. If I remember correctly, they were concerned that the government was going to take the land that was the source of their water supply by eminent domain. By giving away the land to 10,000 of their customers spread around the world they prevented that from happening.
Cool story; I was unaware of that for Islay

BTW, I too am quite the lover of Lagavulin. I have the Distiller's and Offerman 11yo in my cabinet. Another one I recently was turned on to is Kilchoman. Their Machir Bay is the easiest to find, but the Sanaig is better for just a couple dollars more. Port Charlotte is another that I always have a bottle or two available to drink

Reactions: JS School
See I like 4 Roses, especially their small batch, but I was not impressed by Basil Hayden's or Jefferson's. To each his own.
I tend to steer toward higher proof whiskies (like 4RSB) and then dilute (with a small amt of water or a small ice cube) if I find them too hot (alcohol). I normally drink my whiskey from a Glencairn to get the most out of the experience. A good Glencairn of whisky and a good cigar are my way of ending the day ...

Reactions: DORT
Belle Meade Reserve is what I'm now using for my Old Fashioned cocktails.

If you can find Redbreast Lustau you should give it a try. Same with Green Spot or Linavady (Irish)
I have a bottle of Belle Meade Reserve that I've tried really hard to like, but something about that flavor profile just hits wrong. I get bitter burnt pepper or dusty leather… some off putting flavor wraps the sides of my tongue and won't let go. Now my neighbor quite likes it, so he drinks it when he's over.

Reactions: USN_Panther
Looking for some good whiskey/bourbon recommendations. I relatively novice to the scene and am still figuring out what I enjoy. I'm a member at a bar that has about 1800 bottles, so I think that even most difficult to find bottles are available. I'm trying to keep the pours not crazy expensive (under 50, staying away from the Yamazaki and McCallan's) So far my favorite is Colonel EH Taylor single barrel, so I think I tend to like bourbons more, but really just looking for some good things to try, any input is greatly appreciated.
Football?

Football?
Terry Bradshaw Bourbon is pretty good. Interesting that they distilled it to 51.9% alcohol which matches his pass completion percentage over his career ... does that fit the football topic of this board??!! ;)

I have a bottle of Belle Meade Reserve that I've tried really hard to like, but something about that flavor profile just hits wrong. I get bitter burnt pepper or dusty leather… some off putting flavor wraps the sides of my tongue and won't let go. Now my neighbor quite likes it, so he drinks it when he's over.
Kind of why I am using that in an Old Fashioned - the orange bitters I use, along with the simple syrup and orange peel help to balance the smoky flavor of the Belle Meade

Reactions: RoguePanther
I have my one square foot. I plan to visit someday. Actually thinking of making the treck to Islay when Pitt is in Dublin in 2027.

Last edited:
Tons of great suggestions here. The Wild Turkey Products are fabulous. The Russels 10 is great. Punches above its proof. The Rare Breed is also great. It’s surprising how smooth it is given its relatively high proof. I have some various private barrels that are a lot of fun to try. As far as one you can get (in PA anyway ) that I absolutely love is Bib & Tucker Double Char. Haven’t seen that one recommended and I think you’ll love it.

Belle Meade is a small batch bourbon so you get some variation in it. That "burnt pepper" is more sweet cinnamon- like a red hot candy to me. At least in the bottles I have tried.

Reactions: RoguePanther
When you visit Oregon I hope you're planning on going to Bend. Oregon Spirits Bottled in Bond Bourbon (100 proof) is solid. And Deschutes Brewery is there, too.

Another Oregon distillery is Bull Run. My bottle says it’s in Portland. I’m on my 3rd bottle of a 15 year American Whiskey that is finished in Pinot casks for 4 months. It’s sublime. I can get it on business in New York for a $42. If you see it anywhere, pick it up.

Tons of great suggestions here. The Wild Turkey Products are fabulous. The Russels 10 is great. Punches above its proof. The Rare Breed is also great. It’s surprising how smooth it is given its relatively high proof. I have some various private barrels that are a lot of fun to try. As far as one you can get (in PA anyway ) that I absolutely love is Bib & Tucker Double Char. Haven’t seen that one recommended and I think you’ll love it.

Curious about the Double Char.

I have the Bib & Tucker small batch. It's OK- nice on the nose, nothing up front but better on the finish.

I kind of gave up on brand because of the first bottle I tried.

Curious about the Double Char.

I have the Bib & Tucker small batch. It's OK- nice on the nose, nothing up front but better on the finish.

I kind of gave up on brand because of the first bottle I tried.
I haven’t had the Small Batch. I also struggle to give reviews that go on about tasting notes and mouthfeel. What I can tell you is that I love it neat in a Glencairn glass. Not a high proof at 88, but a good bit of flavor for a smooth sipping whiskey.

Reactions: joeydavid
I like EH Taylor a lot, so maybe similar tastes in whiskeys. I personally favor scotch over bourbon but generally I like all whiskeys. Tons of excellent suggestions on this thread and a few eyebrow raisers. I guess there’s no right or wrong, it’s all personal preference. Here’s a few off the top of my head:

Scotches:
  • Oban 14 year: my go-to scotch. All Oban variations that I’ve had are excellent.
  • Macallan 12 or any year
  • Balvenie American Oak and lost Balvenies
  • Highland Park
  • The Dalmore
  • Lagavulin for the peat/smoke lover
  • Johnny Walker Blue-can’t go wrong with it for a splurge on a blended scotch
Bourbons:
  • Blanton’s
  • All Weller products
  • Willet Pot Still Reserve
  • Elmer T Lee
  • George Stagg
  • EH Taylor
  • Eagle Rare
  • Kentucky Owl
  • Noah’s Mill
  • Most Four Roses variations
  • Rabbit Hole-any
  • Castle & Key

Irish
  • Green Spot
  • Yellow Spot
  • Redbreast-any age
  • Teelings
  • Knappogue Castle-any
Others:
  • The Yamazaki Japanese whiskey -any variation. If you see it, buy it. Once common in the U.S., I haven’t seen it anywhere in years. It’s excellent stuff.
  • JP Wisers 18 year old Canadian whiskey-very smooth
  • Hudson single malt American scotch
Many of these used to be easy to get and much less expensive-especially the bourbons. The bourbon that got me into bourbon was Blanton’s, used to be $59/bottle less than 10 years ago. Eagle Rare was available everywhere and was $32. Those days are long gone.

I like EH Taylor a lot, so maybe similar tastes in whiskeys. I personally favor scotch over bourbon but generally I like all whiskeys. Tons of excellent suggestions on this thread and a few eyebrow raisers. I guess there’s no right or wrong, it’s all personal preference. Here’s a few off the top of my head:

Scotches:
  • Oban 14 year: my go-to scotch. All Oban variations that I’ve had are excellent.
  • Macallan 12 or any year
  • Balvenie American Oak and lost Balvenies
  • Highland Park
  • The Dalmore
  • Lagavulin for the peat/smoke lover
  • Johnny Walker Blue-can’t go wrong with it for a splurge on a blended scotch
Bourbons:
  • Blanton’s
  • All Weller products
  • Willet Pot Still Reserve
  • Elmer T Lee
  • George Stagg
  • EH Taylor
  • Eagle Rare
  • Kentucky Owl
  • Noah’s Mill
  • Most Four Roses variations
  • Rabbit Hole-any
  • Castle & Key

Irish
  • Green Spot
  • Yellow Spot
  • Redbreast-any age
  • Teelings
  • Knappogue Castle-any
Others:
  • The Yamazaki Japanese whiskey -any variation. If you see it, buy it. Once common in the U.S., I haven’t seen it anywhere in years. It’s excellent stuff.
  • JP Wisers 18 year old Canadian whiskey-very smooth
  • Hudson single malt American scotch
Many of these used to be easy to get and much less expensive-especially the bourbons. The bourbon that got me into bourbon was Blanton’s, used to be $59/bottle less than 10 years ago. Eagle Rare was available everywhere and was $32. Those days are long gone.
I had a bottle of Kentucky Owl Confiscated that me and my buddy split due to the price point. I thought was fantastic. So much so, I'm considering a trip to Ohio for another bottle.

A buddy brought this one to me after a trip to Louisville last year. It was one of the best bourbons I’ve ever tasted.

4G-Batch-18-front-018-1463x2048.jpg

I just got a bottle of Elijah Craig small batch 1789 as a gift for my knee rehab.
Still on heavy meds so I haven’t tried it.
Is it a good bourbon?
I generally buy Woodford….

Reactions: ratking17
I tend to steer toward higher proof whiskies (like 4RSB) and then dilute (with a small amt of water or a small ice cube) if I find them too hot (alcohol). I normally drink my whiskey from a Glencairn to get the most out of the experience. A good Glencairn of whisky and a good cigar are my way of ending the day ...
Yeah, especially the higher proof, always add a single (not huge) ice cube that mellows it a bit.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT