ADVERTISEMENT

O.T. Whiskey/Bourbon recommendations

Speaking of, a pet peeve is when (hotel bars are notorious for this) they pour the bourbon/whiskey/rye over crushed ice. Umm......yeah. Whisky flavored water.
Adding a little water isn't against the rules. Some people will tell you that you should for higher proofs. Crushed ice is a no-no. I was gifted some metallic cubes that I keep in the freezer. Can't water your whiskey down nothing melts.

Adding a little water isn't against the rules. Some people will tell you that you should for higher proofs. Crushed ice is a no-no. I was gifted some metallic cubes that I keep in the freezer. Can't water your whiskey down nothing melts.
Only "allowed" combo of crushed ice and bourbon is in a mint julep - once a year for the Kentucky Derby

Reactions: pittdan77
A buddy brought this one to me after a trip to Louisville last year. It was one of the best bourbons I’ve ever tasted.

4G-Batch-18-front-018-1463x2048.jpg
Never had it, but I've heard very good things about it

I have a bottle of Belle Meade Reserve that I've tried really hard to like, but something about that flavor profile just hits wrong. I get bitter burnt pepper or dusty leather… some off putting flavor wraps the sides of my tongue and won't let go. Now my neighbor quite likes it, so he drinks it when he's over.
@RoguePanther and @joeydavid:

I saw a recent article about Belle Meade Reserve, and it appears that Belle Meade abandoned MGP (Midwest Grain Products Distillery, Lawrenceburg, IN) as their producer of the actual bourbon whiskey. MGP is a major supplier of distilled spirits to smaller bottlers, who then primarily store, blend, and bottle the barrels at their facility

The article notes that the whiskey being distilled by Belle Meade has a much more burnt flavor profile. My bottle of Belle Meade does not, so I am guessing that I have a bottle that came from and MGP juice, and you guys are drinking a more recent batch produced by Belle Meade

I have my one square foot. I plan to visit someday. Actually thinking of making the treck to Islay when Pitt is in Dublin in 2027.
This sounds like a good idea, but the logistics are pretty tough. You would think that there would be a direct flight from Dublin, or a ferry from Northern Ireland. But I think the only way to get to Islay is by way of Glasgow.

Only "allowed" combo of crushed ice and bourbon is in a mint julep - once a year for the Kentucky Derby
I already told my Laphroig story, so here's my mint julep story. The best one I ever had was in Vicksburg, MS, not Louisville. It was in a restored mansion on a bluff above the Mississippi River. The bartender said that the drink originated in Vicksburg. During the Civil War, the Union Army was camped out on the river shore. Grant wanted to reward the troops, so he sent a boatload of cheap, rot gut whiskey. It was awful, but there was mint growing wild on the bluff, so the troops climbed up and picked it all and mixed it in the whiskey with a little sugar. The drink became popular and the recipe gradually migrated up the Mississippi and Ohio rivers until it reached Louisville, where it became famous.

@RoguePanther and @joeydavid:

I saw a recent article about Belle Meade Reserve, and it appears that Belle Meade abandoned MGP (Midwest Grain Products Distillery, Lawrenceburg, IN) as their producer of the actual bourbon whiskey. MGP is a major supplier of distilled spirits to smaller bottlers, who then primarily store, blend, and bottle the barrels at their facility

The article notes that the whiskey being distilled by Belle Meade has a much more burnt flavor profile. My bottle of Belle Meade does not, so I am guessing that I have a bottle that came from and MGP juice, and you guys are drinking a more recent batch produced by Belle Meade

My bottle is probably 2 or 3 years old and definitely from MGP. I usually have 50ish bottles so even my favorites are around for a bit.

The switch probably explains Rogue's take. I don't think you can buy the new bottles in PA as well.

Reactions: RoguePanther
My bottle is probably 2 or 3 years old and definitely from MGP. I usually have 50ish bottles so even my favorites are around for a bit.

The switch probably explains Rogue's take. I don't think you can buy the new bottles in PA as well.
I assumed that the OP was from Pennsylvania but was surprised when they revealed they were from Oregon. I have no idea where either you or @RoguePanther live (I'm in Arizona) but I know that PA has state-controlled distribution that might limit the variety of labels one can purchase in-state. I'm sure there are advantages/disadvantages to having a "State Store" ...

I bought my Belle Meade Reserve @ Costco for under 50 if I recall. Their prices (along with Sam's Club) are among the lowest found here

Have either of you run across Frey Ranch, Peerless, or Balcones in your area? Three "must tries" if you can find them

There is a lot of good stuff, not just BT products.

I always have these on hand:
Russel’s Reserve 10
Wild Turkey Rare Breed
Knob Creek 9
Old Grand Dad 114 or BiB
I could not get Rare Breed or 114 for some time. Any suggestion as to where I can get some? The 114 lately was limited to the state of KY by Beam’s production. Btw, you have great taste!

@Chairman Moe I'm from PA, but only 50 min from a fantastic store in Ohio. Have made many purchases there while golfing. I've had Balcones, very enjoyable! Frey Ranch is on my wish list. Peerless has not been on my radar, bit I will keep an eye out for it now. Thanks!

I could not get Rare Breed or 114 for some time. Any suggestion as to where I can get some? The 114 lately was limited to the state of KY by Beam’s production. Btw, you have great taste!
I’ve seen 114 in Ohio but haven’t checked in a while.

Rare Breed is usually available in PA.

There is a lot of other stuff on my shelf. maybe tonight I’ll post a long list or something. Many of the comments in this thread are spot on though!

Not sure how well known this is about the Premium Wine & Spirits stores- some of locations are Premium Spirits focused others are Premium Wine focused.

For example, the Monroeville store is spirits - they have an expansive bourbon selection. The Murrysville store is a Wine focused so their bourbon selection is only small fraction of a selection.

Last edited:
Not sure how well known this is about the Premium Wine & Spirits stores- some of locations are Premium Spirits focused others are Premium Wine focused.

For example, the Monroeville store is spirits - they have an expansive bourbon selection. The Murrysville store is a Wine focused so their bourbon selection is only small fraction of a selection.
Are we sure about this? Maybe....Fox Chapel seems more wine oriented. Same with Pine. Shadyside is pretty good overall.

I have very simple tastes for my Perfect Manhattans.

Makers Mark 46
Knob Creek
Old Grand Dad 114

I may only drink bourbon once or twice a year.

Last edited:
Reactions: sonofabit
I have very simple tastes for my Perfect Manhattans.

Makers Mark 46
Knob Creek
Old Grand Dad 114

I may only drink boubon once or twice a year.
Ship, if you can find it in your area, try getting a bottle of Rittenhouse Rye Bottled in Bond for your Perfect Manhattans. It shouldn't cost more than 25. And for clarification, your Perfect Manhattan's have both sweet and dry vermouth, yes? Cheers!

I heard that Pennsylvania (and maybe Ohio, too) looks at the demographics of the various cities/towns/suburbs to "decide" which items they'll stock there. Seems a bit discriminating but I can see why they would (if they do).

Here in AZ, we regularly see inflated prices for the "taters" (Blanton's, Eagle Rare, Weller's, et al) and the stock levels vary, of course, by the volume each store moves, or by their loyalty to their distributors. AZ is a "three-tiered" supply chain state (producer => distributor => retail/bar/restaurant), and since beer, wine, and spirits can be sold almost anywhere (supermarkets, drug stores, retail liquor stores, convenient food stores (7-11 types), Costco) prices are all over the place. I tend to buy from one local retail store who has come to recognize me. Last visit I casually asked if I could "get a discount" as I had 4 items with an average cost of $35. The clerk said, "sure, no problem" and gave me 10% off, on the spot.

A "popular" sales tactic going on now is for a licensed seller of bourbon (or other spirits) to arrange to buy a single barrel (or more) as a "store pick". The barrel has been chosen by the store/establishment, the producer adds their name to the label, and they clear it through their distributor. These can be quite enjoyable and generally have a price that is satisfactory. I think you can get just north of 200 (750ml) bottles per barrel, so it's a great deal for all parties

Ship, if you can find it in your area, try getting a bottle of Rittenhouse Rye Bottled in Bond for your Perfect Manhattans. It shouldn't cost more than 25. And for clarification, your Perfect Manhattan's have both sweet and dry vermouth, yes? Cheers!
Thanks for the suggestion Moe. Looking through the thread you obviously have plenty of knowledge about the subject. And yes...Perfect Manhattans are mixed with both vermouths. Plus a little bitters and a cherry. I will write down your suggestion and look to see if the local Spirits store in Venango County, Pa has that available next time in.

I may have to indulge myself in my Perfect Manahttans a little more often. Cheers to you!

Reactions: Chairman Moe
Looking for some good whiskey/bourbon recommendations. I relatively novice to the scene and am still figuring out what I enjoy. I'm a member at a bar that has about 1800 bottles, so I think that even most difficult to find bottles are available. I'm trying to keep the pours not crazy expensive (under 50, staying away from the Yamazaki and McCallan's) So far my favorite is Colonel EH Taylor single barrel, so I think I tend to like bourbons more, but really just looking for some good things to try, any input is greatly appreciated.
If you are new to bourbon
Smooth tasting -
Woodford Reserve
Jefferson’s reserve
Blanton’s
And my wife even likes Basil Hayden
Other with more flavor
Knobb creek (the rye is also great )
Eagle trace

For mixing with ginger ale
Old overholt
Evan Williams

Good value -
Maker’s mark

Reactions: leasematthew
If you are new to bourbon
Smooth tasting -
Woodford Reserve
Jefferson’s reserve
Blanton’s
And my wife even likes Basil Hayden
Other with more flavor
Knobb creek (the rye is also great )
Eagle trace

For mixing with ginger ale
Old overholt
Evan Williams

Good value -
Maker’s mark
I like your recommendations, except for what to mix with ginger ale. The answer to that should be "nothing".

Thanks for the suggestion Moe. Looking through the thread you obviously have plenty of knowledge about the subject.
I have been a "legal" drinker for 50 years, so yes, I have had lots of experience with various types and kinds of alcohol ;)

As for the whiskies, for years I drank no Scotch or Irish, occasionally Canadian, and my Bourbon of choice were Makers Mark, Woodford Reserve, and Knob Creek. Period. And I always drank them "on-the-rocks" with a splash of water. Once in a blue moon I would have a Manhattan (mixed just with sweet vermouth) or Martini (with Gin, not Vodka)

And then along came Covid ... and I started drinking more ... and suddenly I found more choices of things to drink. A few friends offered me some advice and slowly but surely, I branched out to find some really nice bottles of many different kinds of whisky. Through my travels I have visited a few distilleries, and also found different labels (in local liquor stores) of items I can't find here in AZ

So while I am a seasoned imbiber, I have only about 4 years of amassing experience with the broader spectrum. Now, instead of drinking my whisky on-the-rocks with a splash of water, I drink them "neat". The best glass I've found (and well worth it) is called a Glencairn. And if I find the whisky too "hot" (meaning, the alcohol burns my throat as I sip) I will add a few drops of water

My next "bucket list" trip will be to visit Scotland and visit Islay and The Highlands. And if time and budget allows, a round of golf at one of the courses played in The Open

Cheers! And BTW, your palate being able to enjoy a Perfect Manhattan is more advanced than many other drinkers I know; mine included!

I have been a "legal" drinker for 50 years, so yes, I have had lots of experience with various types and kinds of alcohol ;)

As for the whiskies, for years I drank no Scotch or Irish, occasionally Canadian, and my Bourbon of choice were Makers Mark, Woodford Reserve, and Knob Creek. Period. And I always drank them "on-the-rocks" with a splash of water. Once in a blue moon I would have a Manhattan (mixed just with sweet vermouth) or Martini (with Gin, not Vodka)

And then along came Covid ... and I started drinking more ... and suddenly I found more choices of things to drink. A few friends offered me some advice and slowly but surely, I branched out to find some really nice bottles of many different kinds of whisky. Through my travels I have visited a few distilleries, and also found different labels (in local liquor stores) of items I can't find here in AZ

So while I am a seasoned imbiber, I have only about 4 years of amassing experience with the broader spectrum. Now, instead of drinking my whisky on-the-rocks with a splash of water, I drink them "neat". The best glass I've found (and well worth it) is called a Glencairn. And if I find the whisky too "hot" (meaning, the alcohol burns my throat as I sip) I will add a few drops of water

My next "bucket list" trip will be to visit Scotland and visit Islay and The Highlands. And if time and budget allows, a round of golf at one of the courses played in The Open

Cheers! And BTW, your palate being able to enjoy a Perfect Manhattan is more advanced than many other drinkers I know; mine included!
When I was married many years ago we did our share of entertaining. I had a pretty well stocked bar back then. I still have various size shot glasses and martini glasses, along with other drink glasses. Shakers, buckets and the like. Also a bartenders guide to drinks. It was a fun time.

Now, other than the bourbons and vermouths, I only keep some 100 proof Captain, Tanqueray, vodka, triple sec ( occasional Kamikazes ) and a bottle of Drambuie on hand that I haven't sampled in years.

I do like the blend that a Perfect Manhattan offers in so much that I am not much of a whiskey drinker otherwise.

BTW...my grandmother on my fathers side was a little 4' 10" Scottish ball of discipline that I cherished even more as a young adult when she was in her 80's. Hope you make that Scotland trip and enjoy a round of good Scottish whiskey and golf ( at the same time! ).

I love bourbon. Hell I love Rye. Vodka and Gin too. I really don't like beer that much anymore except in social settings. Unfortunately since Covid and this year's holidays......I drank way the **** too much. I have backed off of hard liquor for awhile. My gut was really starting to get affected. Here it is a Friday, I am bored nothing really to do. And I totally resisted dropping by the local PLCB store and getting a bottle of something to sip on.

I love bourbon. Hell I love Rye. Vodka and Gin too. I really don't like beer that much anymore except in social settings. Unfortunately since Covid and this year's holidays......I drank way the **** too much. I have backed off of hard liquor for awhile. My gut was really starting to get affected. Here it is a Friday, I am bored nothing really to do. And I totally resisted dropping by the local PLCB store and getting a bottle of something to sip on.
You only live once...plus livers are in high supply these days

I have my one square foot. I plan to visit someday. Actually thinking of making the treck to Islay when Pitt is in Dublin in 2027.
If your name is on a deed, you are a landowner and entitled to use the title "Lord".

It's a shame that Buffalo Trace got the media buzz and exploded. It's almost impossible to find in Pittsburgh now but a decade ago I could find a bottle for $19 bucks anywhere. Still my favorite bang for the buck. There whole family is terrific, but that was a great value, at least to me.

It's a shame that Buffalo Trace got the media buzz and exploded. It's almost impossible to find in Pittsburgh now but a decade ago I could find a bottle for $19 bucks anywhere. Still my favorite bang for the buck. There whole family is terrific, but that was a great value, at least to me.
it's around $45 in northern virginia and forget pig whistle.

it's around $45 in northern virginia and forget pig whistle.
We just had a run of Buffalo Trace for 21 @ Costco. It's almost always available for under 30, but the other brands in the BT family (Eagle Rare, Weller's, E.H. Taylor, and Blanton's) are ridiculously priced. When folks find out that there's a "drop" of these at Fry's, e.g., they'll camp out overnight to buy them

We must be on some parallel paths and heading to Scotland this summer around Fringe...hope to tour a few distilleries there. Oban and Talisker are pencilled in. Maybe get a speyside too. Did Bushmills last year in Ireland. If you go in 2027 Dublin game we should talk.

Miss our cigar/ game watches.

We must be on some parallel paths and heading to Scotland this summer around Fringe...hope to tour a few distilleries there. Oban and Talisker are pencilled in. Maybe get a speyside too. Did Bushmills last year in Ireland. If you go in 2027 Dublin game we should talk.

Miss our cigar/ game watches.
Scotland won't be this summer; we are going to Italy in late August.

I hadn't thought about going to the 2027 Dublin Pitt game, but that could work. Scotland is not easily accessible from Ireland though (plane ride), and if I were that close I'd want to do both ... you've given me an idea!

Ditto on missing the gang from SW Ohio - please say "hi" to Carlos and Tony from me if/when you see them

Reactions: daytonpanther
We just had a run of Buffalo Trace for 21 @ Costco. It's almost always available for under 30, but the other brands in the BT family (Eagle Rare, Weller's, E.H. Taylor, and Blanton's) are ridiculously priced. When folks find out that there's a "drop" of these at Fry's, e.g., they'll camp out overnight to buy them
It's amazing how Buffalo Trace and Sazerac are almost impossible to buy here because they are sold out. I know these guys working there hold some back for friends and family. Because one time I was getting some different liquors and the cashier saw my collection and it was like "pssssssst......hey, you want a bottle of Sazerac Rye?" I said "sure". And he pulled out one from behind the counter.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT