ADVERTISEMENT

O.T. Whiskey/Bourbon recommendations

It's amazing how Buffalo Trace and Sazerac are almost impossible to buy here because they are sold out. I know these guys working there hold some back for friends and family. Because one time I was getting some different liquors and the cashier saw my collection and it was like "pssssssst......hey, you want a bottle of Sazerac Rye?" I said "sure". And he pulled out one from behind the counter.
Don't get me wrong, Sazerac / Buffalo Trace / Weller's / Stagg / Blanton's / EH Taylor / Eagle Rare are all very good to excellent brands (all made at Buffalo Trace Distillery, as you know). But they've become so "cult-like" that it's not worth it (to me) to chase them down. If I "see" a BT for 21 and need/want it, I might buy. Same with Sazerac, though I have a few others (Willet/Balcones/High West/Frey Ranch) I like better.

If we revert back to the OP's question, I still think the best answer for finding the Bourbon that best fits ones palate is to experiment. Go to a higher-end (or better supplied) bar and taste the different whiskies. Or join a local Bourbon/Whiskey chat board/Facebook Group that has meet-ups or events where everyone brings a different whiskey to share. I've done a couple of those and that's what turned me on to Balcones, Frey Ranch, and Kilchoman (Scotch). Our area features monthly Whiskey/Food events @ restaurants. Most of those will have three or four different whiskeys to try, and they pair them with a complementary food item.

Scotland won't be this summer; we are going to Italy in late August.

I hadn't thought about going to the 2027 Dublin Pitt game, but that could work. Scotland is not easily accessible from Ireland though (plane ride), and if I were that close I'd want to do both ... you've given me an idea!

Ditto on missing the gang from SW Ohio - please say "hi" to Carlos and Tony from me if/when you see them
Italy in late August? bring a lot of dry fit clothing.

Place is spectacular but hot as balls from June to early October.

Reactions: Chairman Moe
Italy in late August? bring a lot of dry fit clothing.

Place is spectacular but hot as balls from June to early October.
@thebadby2 I know that the best thing to do when traveling outside the US is to not look like or act like a tourist. That said, and with temperatures in the mid to high 30's (C.) or warmer, does wearing shorts blend in? Or do you find the Italians wearing jeans and not shorts? [serious question]

@thebadby2 I know that the best thing to do when traveling outside the US is to not look like or act like a tourist. That said, and with temperatures in the mid to high 30's (C.) or warmer, does wearing shorts blend in? Or do you find the Italians wearing jeans and not shorts? [serious question]
I’m the wrong guy to answer Moe. I’ve only been once and it was mid October and absolutely perfect pants weather. Italians as a general rule tend to be fashion conscious and well dressed, FWIW. But when you’re gonna be walking around all over hell in 95 degree weather, don’t worry about the appearance, wear whatever you can to make yourself more comfortable.. I’d say wear pants/jeans and nicer threads for dinners.

Last edited:
Looking for some good whiskey/bourbon recommendations. I relatively novice to the scene and am still figuring out what I enjoy. I'm a member at a bar that has about 1800 bottles, so I think that even most difficult to find bottles are available. I'm trying to keep the pours not crazy expensive (under 50, staying away from the Yamazaki and McCallan's) So far my favorite is Colonel EH Taylor single barrel, so I think I tend to like bourbons more, but really just looking for some good things to try, any input is greatly appreciated.
IS the Bardstown Bourbon company Origin Series out your way yet? I know they haven't made it to every market, but the white and especially the Black label are some of my favorite recently released Bourbons out there.

IS the Bardstown Bourbon company Origin Series out your way yet? I know they haven't made it to every market, but the white and especially the Black label are some of my favorite recently released Bourbons out there
I'll be on the lookout for it, thanks for the heads up!

@leasematthew ...

I found this chart (I hope the link works) that might give you some help with identifying your palate for bourbon. It divides them into 4 quadrants: SPICY RYE/CORN/SMOOTH & MELLOW/OAK. There's overlap as you'll see. I find most of my favorites the Spicy Rye/Oak and Spicy Rye/Corn. I recall mentioning in a separate post that the mashbill is what makes each bourbon taste different; along with the aging and the place where it was distilled/stored. Hope this helps you out. Cheers!

https://cdn.32pt.com/public/sl-prod...3AFC4B404B96-PS0-TC2000-WHT/front/regular.jpg

Reactions: leasematthew
I skimmed this thread and I am sure its on here somewhere but Heaven Hill Bottled in Bond is a must. Good price point too. My go to.
I also love a whiskey Jack Daniels Single Barrel Select
Wild Turkey Rare Breed is also excellent.
A cheap bottle that is very good is the ole standby Wild Turkey 151

Reactions: Chairman Moe
I skimmed this thread and I am sure its on here somewhere but Heaven Hill Bottled in Bond is a must. Good price point too. My go to.
I also love a whiskey Jack Daniels Single Barrel Select
Wild Turkey Rare Breed is also excellent.
A cheap bottle that is very good is the ole standby Wild Turkey 151
Heaven Hill also distills Elijah Craig and Mellow Corn. All three are great whiskies at a decent price

Heaven Hill also distills Elijah Craig and Mellow Corn. All three are great whiskies at a decent price

An Elijah Craig barrel proof that I picked up in ATL made me a fan. At 123 proof, it's smooth with great flavor.

Unfortunately, killed half of the bottle within a month and can't buy another.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT