ADVERTISEMENT

Official visit rules

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
So, Stallings left Pitt with only 2 official visits and the NCAA granted Capel 1 more. Couple things here:

- What's up with a rule that limits official visits. I never heard of that. Why? What's the point? Alabama football has a team of 10-12 non-coaching "analysts," Michigan has Spring Practice in Rome and satellite camps in American Samoa, but the NCAA feels the need to limit official visits? I dont get it?

- WTF was Stallings going to do with only 2 official visits left? I get that he only had 2 returning players coming back but who was he wasting official visits on? Please tell me not George, Davis, Kene, etc.

- I believe Capel will have used 2 of his e official visits so far. McGowens, and SKJ (this weekend). Chris McNeal is visiting fr New Mexico and I'd have to guess he is paying his own way as Xavier Johnson did. For Capel to use an OV on SKJ, he has to be pretty sure he's going to land him.

- Anyone know when OV's reset?

I think you get two for everyone that leaves. So should have like 6 until August. Or something like that when it resets.

So, Stallings left Pitt with only 2 official visits and the NCAA granted Capel 1 more. Couple things here:

- What's up with a rule that limits official visits. I never heard of that. Why? What's the point? Alabama football has a team of 10-12 non-coaching "analysts," Michigan has Spring Practice in Rome and satellite camps in American Samoa, but the NCAA feels the need to limit official visits? I dont get it?

- WTF was Stallings going to do with only 2 official visits left? I get that he only had 2 returning players coming back but who was he wasting official visits on? Please tell me not George, Davis, Kene, etc.

- I believe Capel will have used 2 of his e official visits so far. McGowens, and SKJ (this weekend). Chris McNeal is visiting fr New Mexico and I'd have to guess he is paying his own way as Xavier Johnson did. For Capel to use an OV on SKJ, he has to be pretty sure he's going to land him.

When did you hear that we were only granted one more OV? I hadn't heard anything about that at all but that would be a shockingly low number.

In basketball you get a sum total of 24 over two years and Stallings used 19 of those leaving us with 5. In the instance of a coaching change you typically get a minimum of 25% reinstated if the previous coach used over 75% which takes us up to 11 this year and up to 18 or 19 for next year depending on your math.

Reactions: Jpripper88

When did you hear that we were only granted one more OV? I hadn't heard anything about that at all but that would be a shockingly low number.

In basketball you get a sum total of 24 over two years and Stallings used 19 of those leaving us with 5. In the instance of a coaching change you typically get a minimum of 25% reinstated if the previous coach used over 75% which takes us up to 11 this year and up to 18 or 19 for next year depending on your math.

I think it was in a recent PG article

Craig Meyer has mentioned it several times and he just talked to Capel last night for his article in the PG. Either Meyer misunderstood what Capel meant or somebody is wrong.

Craig Meyer has mentioned it several times and he just talked to Capel last night for his article in the PG. Either Meyer misunderstood what Capel meant or somebody is wrong.

I can certainly see a world where Capel didn't ask for the full restitution of visits because he wants to bank them for next year but I will state with full certainty that he has more than three available.

I can certainly see a world where Capel didn't ask for the full restitution of visits because he wants to bank them for next year but I will state with full certainty that he has more than three available.

I was surprised by the number, too, but there's not much ambiguity in the article (which was just published yesterday).

Relevant content to number of visits here:

"As he pursues those options, Capel has had to be creative. Kevin Stallings’ staff used all but two official visits it was allowed over a two-year span. Due to the coaching change, Capel said he was granted one extra visit, but that still left him with only three, one of which was used last weekend when McGowens took an official visit. Hamstrung by that, he has relied on the openness of others, things for which he said he is incredibly grateful. Recent signee Xavier Johnson, for example, drove four hours with his family from the Washington, D.C., area to take an unofficial visit (costs associated with an unofficial visit are paid for by the prospect and his family, unlike an official visit, where those expenditures are covered by the school)."

Full article here: http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...n-malik-ellison-transfer/stories/201805090152

Reactions: gary2
Matt insinuated that cable is saying they have more than people are saying. There's some confusion about this, I think.

That said, at the risk of Defending Sleepy Hollow, he had used his visits to build his roster, and wasn't going to have all the open spots that the roster now has.

I'm pretty sure it resets in August.

Capel said he only had 3 official visits to use on a podcast a few weeks ago.

I was surprised by the number, too, but there's not much ambiguity in the article (which was just published yesterday).

Relevant content to number of visits here:

"As he pursues those options, Capel has had to be creative. Kevin Stallings’ staff used all but two official visits it was allowed over a two-year span. Due to the coaching change, Capel said he was granted one extra visit, but that still left him with only three, one of which was used last weekend when McGowens took an official visit. Hamstrung by that, he has relied on the openness of others, things for which he said he is incredibly grateful. Recent signee Xavier Johnson, for example, drove four hours with his family from the Washington, D.C., area to take an unofficial visit (costs associated with an unofficial visit are paid for by the prospect and his family, unlike an official visit, where those expenditures are covered by the school)."

Full article here: http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...n-malik-ellison-transfer/stories/201805090152

Overall: what are the key differences btwn an official & unofficial?

Unofficial mean they can’t see the coach/be toured around? (Go on their own?)

I think it has to do with who pays for the trip. Official visit is paid for by the School and Unofficial is paid for by the Recruit.

I think on an unofficial visit, the HC is definitely allowed to talk with Recruit as long as it is not a blackout period.

There are limits for football, baseball and basketball. Prior to a few years ago, the limit in all 3 sports was yearly. The number for basketball was 12 per year. A few years ago they changed it to 24 over 2 years for basketball only. The other sports remained yearly. Stallings used an absurd amount last year, thus Pitt only having 5-6 total this year.

There is an exception to the rule for coaching changes which allows a team to up to 25% of the total visits for that academic year. The issue is that this exception was drafted prior to the rule change which allows for 24 over 2 years. In any event, the NCAA likely recognized that the exception no longer made sense as applied to basketball and applied it as if the 12 visit per year rule was still in effect, thus the 3 visits.

I thought that you could appeal for more, though I can't seem to find that rule anymore.

Oof, that's a very harsh ruling from the NCAA then. At least we get back the 8 billion OVs that Stallings used last year on August 1st but it looks as though Capel has his work cut out for him a little bit.

Although I believe that we have only used one of the three so far with one more scheduled so our efficiency is pretty good.

Oof, that's a very harsh ruling from the NCAA then. At least we get back the 8 billion OVs that Stallings used last year on August 1st but it looks as though Capel has his work cut out for him a little bit.

Although I believe that we have only used one of the three so far with one more scheduled so our efficiency is pretty good.

McGowens
SKJ

So 1 more

Stallings is the gift that keeps on giving.

Reactions: thirteenNINE
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT