ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 1970's International Fine Dining

ChiefJusticeMarshall

Freshman
Gold Member
Jun 14, 2020
433440288_710930401250161_6715024135661806373_n.jpg

Has anyone ever successfully prevented the dessert from being contaminated with a side dish in a TV dinner? I have not. Always end up with macaroni in the cobbler (no double entendre intended there).

fun fact, TV dinners had nothing to do with television. I saw an interview with the person that invented them (forget his name) and I think it was in the 50's and TV's were just bursting out in the scene and becoming more popular and common. He said he wanted his invention, the frozen dinner, to be associated with something cool and hip that people would remember, hence the advent of the TV dinner.

He also said if he invented it now (I think interview was 10 or 15 years ago) he probably would have named it "Swansons e-Dinner, or Swansons i-Dinner"

fun fact, TV dinners had nothing to do with television. I saw an interview with the person that invented them (forget his name) and I think it was in the 50's and TV's were just bursting out in the scene and becoming more popular and common. He said he wanted his invention, the frozen dinner, to be associated with something cool and hip that people would remember, hence the advent of the TV dinner.

He also said if he invented it now (I think interview was 10 or 15 years ago) he probably would have named it "Swansons e-Dinner, or Swansons i-Dinner"
And three times the caloric content.

Swanson TV dinners was a staple in my apartment... Had my stomach pumped many times...

LOL......it is amazing there was good and bad with American food in the 60's and the 70's. And into the 80's.

Good? Growing up in the main street of my little town, there were 5 different little grocery stores all with their own butchers and homemade stuff. So meats were probably better.

Bad? We hear farm to table? Everything then was factory to table. Very few "artisanal" offerings.

On the Swanson dinners, I have to admit, I kind of liked the turkey and the fake mashed potatoes which I still like better than real mashed potatoes.

The chemical coloring and additives / preservatives that were used indiscriminately during the 60s and 70s were bad enough. Then add to that mix the pesticides that have since been outlawed, and it's a wonder any of us are healthy.

There were pesticides available to the home gardener in that time frame that have been proven to cause cancer.

Reactions: pittdan77
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT