ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2021 Buccos

You're trying too hard.
The catcher took off his mask? I think they do that from time to time.
He tried to drag his foot across the plate?? He had tons of time to stop, and stomp on the plate if he thought he initially missed it. The ball probably wasn't even put into play yet.
The video I linked looked pretty definitively that he did drag his foot over the front of the plate.

More likely this kid is known for grandstanding and the umpire didn't like it.
There is no video that definitively shows what happens. It's ok, you don't have to know everything. That would be a heavy burden to carry.

BTW the way he hits home runs, I wish he was playing at Altoona.

Well that's just silly. There is, in fact, video that shows him stepping over and not on the base. The fact that you didn't see it doesn't make it so, it just makes you uninformed.

I mean seriously, my position is that he obviously missed the plate. Your position is that he actually touched it, but for some unknown reason the catcher decided to appeal the play anyway, something that catchers basically never do, and that the umpire then saw that he stepped on the plate but decided to call the guy out because he doesn't like him.

You are right about one thing. Someone here is trying waaaaaaay too hard. If you look in the mirror you'll see him.

BTW, that dude is one of the best prospects in baseball, so yeah, it would be great if he were playing for Altoona.

Reactions: Ski11585
Swept by the Dodgers at home. Haven’t beaten them since 2018. I’d rather watch AA Altoona. The Pirates are unwatchable bums. (And I don’t watch them).

Well that's just silly. There is, in fact, video that shows him stepping over and not on the base. The fact that you didn't see it doesn't make it so, it just makes you uninformed.

I mean seriously, my position is that he obviously missed the plate. Your position is that he actually touched it, but for some unknown reason the catcher decided to appeal the play anyway, something that catchers basically never do, and that the umpire then saw that he stepped on the plate but decided to call the guy out because he doesn't like him.

You are right about one thing. Someone here is trying waaaaaaay too hard. If you look in the mirror you'll see him.

BTW, that dude is one of the best prospects in baseball, so yeah, it would be great if he were playing for Altoona.
https://fanbuzz.com/mlb/bobby-witt-home-run-missed-plate/

Yes, and notice at the end there:

"However, this camera angle shows he didn’t step on the plate:"

If you look at a photo or a video from the side angle you have no depth perception on where his foot was versus where the plate was. You have to look at it from a straight on angle to see that he didn't step on the plate, he stepped over it. Just as if you only looked at the Hayes play from a photo or video taken from the Pirates dugout side of the field you wouldn't actually be able to tell if he touched first base (proof being the first time they showed the replay on the Pirates broadcast they didn't even notice that he missed the base), but in seeing it from a camera on the first base side it was obvious that he missed it by several inches.

I mean seriously, if he obviously stepped on the plate there why on earth would the catcher have ever appealed? What catcher EVER does that? Especially when he's looking right at it.

They should actually tank in an outrageous manner. Miss all four bases on a home run. Intentionally walk eight consecutive batters in the ninth inning. Use only position players as relief pitchers. Get all baserunners picked off. That would make Pirate baseball fun again
Might as well give Hayes away now.

They should actually tank in an outrageous manner. Miss all four bases on a home run. Intentionally walk eight consecutive batters in the ninth inning. Use only position players as relief pitchers. Get all baserunners picked off. That would make Pirate baseball fun again
Tanking is a fair strategy I think. Especially in baseball with the huge payroll differences.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT