ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 90K for Nebraska women's volleyball tomorrow

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001

Going to set a volleyball and women's sports record. They basically stole my idea of playing an olympic sports match in a football stadium. A few years ago, I said Pitt/PSU should do an annual soccer men's/women's doubleheader on the Sunday before Labor Day at Acrisure. With heavy marketing and cheap tickets, I think they could fill the lower bowl and set the college soccer attendance record.

Zzzzzzz.........
Going to set a volleyball and women's sports record. They basically stole my idea of playing an olympic sports match in a football stadium. A few years ago, I said Pitt/PSU should do an annual soccer men's/women's doubleheader on the Sunday before Labor Day at Acrisure. With heavy marketing and cheap tickets, I think they could fill the lower bowl and set the college soccer attendance record.
Zzzzzzz.......

You are so boring i had to post twice

yes, just the end of summer outing everyone is craving, a 6 hour in the heat total of 3 goals combined soccer fest. Call it the Lume Cup..I'm in!

yes, just the end of summer outing everyone is craving, a 6 hour in the heat total of 3 goals combined soccer fest. Call it the Lume Cup..I'm in!

You may not be in but it would draw 20K+ if heavily marketed and could become a RibFest tradition

You may not be in but it would draw 20K+ if heavily marketed and could become a RibFest tradition
so the optics would be 55,000 empty yellow seats...but of course, there would be the wonderful eating sticky ribs in 92 degree weather aspect of the thing...

that court will be so slick with the humidity. Not sure players safety is really being considered to just to break some random attendance record, horrible idea.

Optics? Who cares? Its college soccer. It might set an attendance record and be a really cool event.
optics makes it look like some high school presentation of the Tamburitzans farewell tour...Nothing cool about it all as it would be the most people ever to watch two low or no scoring soccer games on what could be a really hot day...

the next time anyone tells you there is nothing to do in nebraska, show them this thread..

I think Highmark Stadium might be a good first step. ~10,000 for college soccer and volleyball would still be impressive.

How to cultivate 90k fans for volleyball: be a once-proud football powerhouse who has been a laughingstock for two decades. Those fans will be desperate for a winner.

Iowa copying me too. Their women's basketball team (Caitlin Clark) are playing an Oct 15 exhibition game at Kinnick Stadium and they've sold 40K tickets so far.

Soccer is a kind of sport where a 0-0 game can be super exciting.

It is impressive. Iowa has done this for both wrestling and women's basketball at Kinnick breaking attendance records.

#10 Pitt has a game Sunday in the Pete vs #15 Kentucky. Code "PETE" will get you half off tickets.

No one ever thought of showcasing non-revenue sports in football stadiums until me
SMF - Tell Joe about how you convinced Gary Bettman to have the Penguins play the Sabres in an outdoor stadium!

faaac64113634c5557a351bf0014f89b--pittsburgh-sports-pittsburgh-penguins.jpg

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Soccer is a kind of sport where a 0-0 game can be super exciting.
Of course it is. But some people equate points on the board to excitement. It’s a weird phenomenon. If they understood what they were watching they wouldn’t have that opinion. And what’s ironic about that whole thing is they are the ones who have to jump at every opportunity to tell everyone else how they feel about the sport, yet they score 0 points for dissing on the sport every chance they get. You think they see their own hypocrisy? Lol.
Oh, and they like baseball too! Go figure.

• Haha
Reactions: Pitt79
Of course it is. But some people equate points on the board to excitement. It’s a weird phenomenon. If they understood what they were watching they wouldn’t have that opinion. And what’s ironic about that whole thing is they are the ones who have to jump at every opportunity to tell everyone else how they feel about the sport, yet they score 0 points for dissing on the sport every chance they get. You think they see their own hypocrisy? Lol.
Oh, and they like baseball too! Go figure.
There's other things about soccer you don't realize unless you get engrossed in for whatever reason, like for me it was watching my daughter play a couple hundred games, like for example people who hate soccer hate ties, it's like kissing your sister right? But if you have a team, you care about in soccer and they score to tie it up in the last few minutes it feels like a huge win or if you concede that way, it feels like a bad loss, because of the point system, stuff like that you don't notice when you hate soccer :)

No one ever thought of showcasing non-revenue sports in football stadiums until me

Iowa and Oklahoma State had a wrestling meet in Kinnick Stadium 10 years ago. Drew over 42,000 people.

Michigan and Michigan State played a hockey game at Spartan Stadium in 2001 that drew almost 75,000 people. They played at Michigan Stadium in 2010 in front of 113,000 people. There were college hockey games played in placed like Lambeau Field, Camp Randall and Fenway Park more than a decade ago.

And you might not know this, but soccer teams all over the country play in football stadiums pretty much every day.

In short, this is another of those things that you know to be true that in reality is completely false.

Reactions: pittdan77

The major difference is Nebraska actually has a very loyal following. They routinely sell out an 8,000 seat arena with 306 consecutive sell outs. Meanwhile Pitt's Men's Soccer averages 1,115 and Women's average 663. You are far more likely to get attendance similar to Pitt Penn State Baseball in PNC Park (2,582) than what Nebraska drew for this novelty game.

Last edited:
The major difference is Nebraska actually has a very loyal following. They routinely sell out an 8,000 seat arena with 306 consecutive sell outs. Meanwhile Pitt's Men's Soccer averages 1,115 and Women's average 663. You are far more likely to get attendance similar to Pitt Penn State Baseball in PNC Park (2,582) than what Nebraska drew for this novelty game.

Pitt's soccer stadium only seats 900. They are over 100% full. If they had a bigger stadium, they'd draw more. That said, there arent 90K people who care about women's volleyball in Nebraska. This is an event game. I have never been to a Pitt volleyball game but if they did some type of event game like this at Heinz or Bigelow Blvd or wherever, I'd go. Same goes for soccer for Pitt fans. If a Pitt/PSU soccer game on the Sunday before Labor Day was heavily marketed, I think it can draw 20K. For one thing, you'd probably get 5K students just to go tailgate. Student attendance for Pitt soccer is very good anyway. And PSU fans like soccer too. Maybe they dont follow PSU soccer but you'd have local PSU fans come down to the game just for a family night out. Its Ribfest, there's no school and work the next day. Its perfect. You can call it the SMF Cup.

we can make all the nebraska is boring jokes we want but they actually got 90k people to go to this event, that's impressive..

you couldnt get a sell out at accrisure for a pitt volleyball game if you had free admission and gave everyone a free six pack of "Fake Slide Pilsner" and a free Primanti sandwich..

• Haha
Reactions: HOF Coach
Pitt's soccer stadium only seats 900. They are over 100% full. If they had a bigger stadium, they'd draw more. That said, there arent 90K people who care about women's volleyball in Nebraska. This is an event game. I have never been to a Pitt volleyball game but if they did some type of event game like this at Heinz or Bigelow Blvd or wherever, I'd go. Same goes for soccer for Pitt fans. If a Pitt/PSU soccer game on the Sunday before Labor Day was heavily marketed, I think it can draw 20K. For one thing, you'd probably get 5K students just to go tailgate. Student attendance for Pitt soccer is very good anyway. And PSU fans like soccer too. Maybe they dont follow PSU soccer but you'd have local PSU fans come down to the game just for a family night out. Its Ribfest, there's no school and work the next day. Its perfect. You can call it the SMF Cup.
Will the "SMF Cup" be modeled in your image like this?

61IpdiO4YNL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT