ADVERTISEMENT

OT: a steeler shift?

Fk_Pitt

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2007
There was a time when we thought the “steeler way” was the right way. Other franchises tried to emulate them. They would hire steeler coaches, steeler personnel and Steeler players. We were fine with that. Internal promotions were widely accepted by the fanbase because the fanbase felt that the homegrown and internal people had the steeler culture running through their veins. Yes the steelers went outside the organization at times. They brought Cowher and Tomlin from the outside, the fan base wasn’t excited about either hire but accepted it because we trusted that the steelers had the Midas touch. Same with Colbert. Cowher and Colbert were Pittsburgers afterall.

but now we immediately get really excited when the steelers look outside the organization because what’s going on inside the organization isn’t quite working. The feeling is the Steelers are better off getting new ideas into the building. Fans were even excited the Steelers were interviewing a jabroni from the Giants for their DC job because he was from the outside. Now we get excited for a Louis Riddick interview for several reasons, but again he’s from the outside. That’s what’s most exciting. There’s a shift in the mindset. Is the steeler way no longer?

now there is this. This is intriguing as well. There was a thought a couple years ago that the Colts were going to be the NFL’s next dynasty. Then Luck stepped away as QB and threw things out of whack. But this interview is more exciting for fans than promoting from within.

we need a new set of eyes with college scouting. our draft and scouting has been horrid.. no clue who this dude is but if he's outside of the organization, it's a good start.

Reactions: 303vND
I think any organization needs a balance of promoting from within and hiring outside for fresh faces and ideas.

The corporate world is certainly different than when I entered it. Job hopping is the norm now. I’m sure some of that is because of legacy benefits becoming less and less. But I was buddies with a guy who used to work where I am. Very bright and very ambitious. He was flat out told it’d be in his best interest to go elsewhere and he did.

Last edited:
There was a time when we thought the “steeler way” was the right way. Other franchises tried to emulate them. They would hire steeler coaches, steeler personnel and Steeler players. We were fine with that. Internal promotions were widely accepted by the fanbase because the fanbase felt that the homegrown and internal people had the steeler culture running through their veins. Yes the steelers went outside the organization at times. They brought Cowher and Tomlin from the outside, the fan base wasn’t excited about either hire but accepted it because we trusted that the steelers had the Midas touch. Same with Colbert. Cowher and Colbert were Pittsburgers afterall.

but now we immediately get really excited when the steelers look outside the organization because what’s going on inside the organization isn’t quite working. The feeling is the Steelers are better off getting new ideas into the building. Fans were even excited the Steelers were interviewing a jabroni from the Giants for their DC job because he was from the outside. Now we get excited for a Louis Riddick interview for several reasons, but again he’s from the outside. That’s what’s most exciting. There’s a shift in the mindset. Is the steeler way no longer?

now there is this. This is intriguing as well. There was a thought a couple years ago that the Colts were going to be the NFL’s next dynasty. Then Luck stepped away as QB and threw things out of whack. But this interview is more exciting for fans than promoting from within.

Tough to win with low character, me first players. You could make a valid argument that the stillers did less with more over the last decade than any other team.

They needed to burn it all down 5-6 years ago when they had a few pieces they could have pawned off on other sucker organizations.

To your question- hopefully they are making a big shift.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
The Steelers used to have assistants who went onto head coaching jobs. They didn't always have success, but thought of highly enough by other teams they got jobs. Defensively, they had innovators--particularly with Capers and LeBeau.

Look at them now. Fichtner was fired and he's out of the league. If Canada got fired, he'd be out of the league too.

Just an FYI, the "jabroni" from the New York Giants? Patrick Graham, is an Ivy League grad that is on the fast track to an NFL head coaching job in the near future. While I didn't like Charlie Weis as an OC for the Patriots and head coach for Notre Dame, I have gained a greater respect for him on Sirius NFL Network. Weis spoke extremely highly of Graham.

Tanking to get Bradshaw and having Ben slide to them was half the battle. You really need to get that franchise QB to have a chance at winning multiple Super Bowls. Look at the Bengels.

Reactions: Pitt79
Sure, but I never want to suck as long as the Bungles did.

Yeah, but they've been kind of unlucky with Palmer getting hurt. He was not the same after that. Bungles didn't draft a QB in the first round between Palmer and Burrow, which was a 17 years gap. Maybe they should have. If the guy is there and he has shown that he can run an offense, you have to take him. I think Picket will do well in the NFL and if a team is in need of a QB, Kenny is too good to pass up. There are only a couple of those guys with that potential every draft. Good heavens if Pickett slips to the Steelers and they pass.... terrible move.

Morocco Brown from the post above is Pitt hoops Coach Milan’s brother.

You know in regards to the "stale" organization and the fact that most hires are internal and lack coaches who move on to bigger jobs (head) elsewhere. Is it the Steelers being cheap or is it Tomlin not wanting to not be the smartest guy in the room?

The thing is, the Steelers never had a problem bringing in high profile coordinators and position coaches. So I can't say it is the Steelers. Of course I do think Dan Rooney is to Sidney Crosby as to Art Rooney is to Zach Aston Reese.

I think they have fallen too much in love with the "Steelers Way", so much so that even as times change, they are always resistant to even changing offensive and defensive schemes, always hiring from within means never having any NEW IDEAS infiltrate the organization. Personally, I'd like to see some OUTSIDERS hired and given authority to do it THEIR WAY, this organization has gotten too stale.

I think they have fallen too much in love with the "Steelers Way", so much so that even as times change, they are always resistant to even changing offensive and defensive schemes, always hiring from within means never having any NEW IDEAS infiltrate the organization. Personally, I'd like to see some OUTSIDERS hired and given authority to do it THEIR WAY, this organization has gotten too stale.
Yep. Definitely think so. Even some of the experienced writers who cover this team (Ed Bouchette, Gerry Dulac, Ron Cook, Dale Lolley I am looking at yinz in particular) seem to just default to "the Steelers way" like why should they change?

Yep. Definitely think so. Even some of the experienced writers who cover this team (Ed Bouchette, Gerry Dulac, Ron Cook, Dale Lolley I am looking at yinz in particular) seem to just default to "the Steelers way" like why should they change?
The way I feel about it right now, is it's just multiple wounds covered with bandaids. Because "Our Goal is to win the Super Bowl every year", they simply just patch the holes as soon as they spring open and not really rebuild anything.

I don't think promoting from within is the "Steelers way." Watch Troy Polamalu's Hall of Fame speech. That is all about the "Steelers way."

I don't think promoting from within is the "Steelers way." Watch Troy Polamalu's Hall of Fame speech. That is all about the "Steelers way."
Correct, it's not. Some of the best coaches they've had in my lifetime were brought in from other teams. Capers, Haslett, Munchack, Grimm. Others were hired as position coaches and eventually promoted, and deservedly so, like Lebeau, Tim Lewis, Arians, Gailey, Whisenhunt, Mularkey. Eight of those guys went on to be head coaches.

The problem has been Tomlin's hiring of assistant coaches, not the Steeler way.

In recent years it seems that way. Even if they bring in an outsider, it's like they tell him he can't change anything.

The way I feel about it right now, is it's just multiple wounds covered with bandaids. Because "Our Goal is to win the Super Bowl every year", they simply just patch the holes as soon as they spring open and not really rebuild anything.
While they say the goal is to win the super bowl, the guys in the building who have been covering the team for decades say that the organizational mindset is to be a playoff team every year and get a home game.

If they hadn’t done this before (patch work through the late 90s/early 00s and avoiding a true rebuild), I would agree with you. The Steelers, along with the Pens, are the two teams I root for that I will tend to give them the benefit of the doubt.

While they say the goal is to win the super bowl, the guys in the building who have been covering the team for decades say that the organizational mindset is to be a playoff team every year and get a home game.
You can’t win a super bowl if you aren’t in the playoffs .

You can’t win a super bowl if you aren’t in the playoffs .
And you won’t ever win one if you want to be mediocre every year, and your goal is one playoff games home revenue. Lets hope they can stop spinning those wheels of mediocrity and thrust the franchise forward. Sometimes you have to pass the ball backwards to progress things forward.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT