ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Alan Faneca

Fk_Pitt

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2007
I’m switching gears for @Ski11585

not sure if it was discussed, but it’s crazy to me that he’s not in the HOF. And it sounds like Tony Boselli is ahead of him in the pecking order and he didn’t get in either. That to me is absurd that he has more support than Faneca.

I heard Ed Bouchette’s sales pitch for Faneca the other day. Let’s just say Ed lacks in the sales and charisma department. I wonder if guys like Ed take it personally? Because he’s really failing Faneca.

Thoughts on Faneca???

Reactions: Ski11585
He was an offensive lineman. I have no idea if he’s the best eligible lineman not in the Hall of Fame but I do know he was a Steeler.

Faneca won't get in next year because the voters aren't going to put in two Steelers in the same year as Polamalu will be first ballot.

Faneca won't get in next year because the voters aren't going to put in two Steelers in the same year as Polamalu will be first ballot.
Another strike against him that I didn’t consider. Wow.

The guy was a 6 time 1st team all-pro in the prime of his career. I believe the one time that he didn’t get it is the year sandwiched in the middle that he had to play tackle to help his team. He was really good but didn’t make 1st team all pro that year. If he had played his natural position that season, he likely would have been 1st team all pro for 7 straight years. I don’t know how many HOFers can say they did that. Probably not many.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
Another strike against him that I didn’t consider. Wow.

The guy was a 6 time 1st team all-pro in the prime of his career. I believe the one time that he didn’t get it is the year sandwiched in the middle that he had to play tackle to help his team. He was really good but didn’t make 1st team all pro that year. If he had played his natural position that season, he likely would have been 1st team all pro for 7 straight years. I don’t know how many HOFers can say they did that. Probably not many.
AND tony boselli only was all pro 3 times. And he never won a super bowl.

Faneca seems like a no brainer to me.

Reactions: Mikefln
I’m switching gears for @Ski11585

not sure if it was discussed, but it’s crazy to me that he’s not in the HOF. And it sounds like Tony Boselli is ahead of him in the pecking order and he didn’t get in either. That to me is absurd that he has more support than Faneca.

I heard Ed Bouchette’s sales pitch for Faneca the other day. Let’s just say Ed lacks in the sales and charisma department. I wonder if guys like Ed take it personally? Because he’s really failing Faneca.

Thoughts on Faneca???
How in the hell is Bouchette failing Faneca. It’s ridiculous that someone has to get up and plead for a guy that should already be in the hall in the first place. Faneca was probably the most dominant guard in football for most of a decade.

I see two things. First, that he's a Guard, it gets fairly overlooked. And, there have been so many Steelers inducted. Nothing more than that, nothing personal.

How in the hell is Bouchette failing Faneca. It’s ridiculous that someone has to get up and plead for a guy that should already be in the hall in the first place. Faneca was probably the most dominant guard in football for most of a decade.
If it were my job to sell a slam dunk HOF candidate, and I couldn’t even get him close, I’d feel like I was doing the guy a disservice. The system stinks. But maybe it’s time someone else takes the reigns? Not only was Faneca not even close to overall selection, he was 3rd in the offensive line pecking order, despite having 2-3 times more all pro selections and being the only super bowl champion among the three lineman in the ballet. Furthermore, didn’t he miss one game in his entire career? The guy embodies the HOF.

Reactions: Mikefln
AND tony boselli only was all pro 3 times. And he never won a super bowl.

Faneca seems like a no brainer to me.
Boselli also did not have a long NFL career. I think he played 6 full seasons and part of 1 more.

I think the voting is a total joke. Faneca should have already been in. Faneca was THE BEST player at his position for many years. How these clowns (Peter King and more) hadn't put Gil Brandt in until this year baffles me.

Reactions: Mikefln and Fk_Pitt
Faneca's problem, or at least a big part of it, is that he's an offensive lineman and offensive linemen aren't "sexy" picks for the HOF. They put five "regular" candidates in and one of them was an offensive lineman. That's about all you can expect. And the offensive lineman that they picked was actually first team All Pro one time more than Faneca. You know darn well that there were voters comparing the two who said that they would vote for the guy who was a seven time first team All Pro over the guy who was a six time first team All Pro.

Boselli was as dominant as they come at LT. Injuries just cut his career short, which is why he hasn't gotten in.

Faneca will eventually get in. It would help him if Hutchinson got in and help Hutchinson if Faneca got in.

I was a gigantic Faneca fan but he was always considered a notch below Hutchinson.

There is no comparison between boselli and faneca. They played 2 different positions.

That being said, at his Boselli was a top 10 overall player in the league. He was that good. I watched him as a rookie own Reggie white and Bruce Smith.

Alan will get in probably around the same time Reuben gets in.

The only time from 2001-07 Faneca wasn’t a first team all-pro was 2003. Because of injuries he started 10 games at left tackle that year... he was still second team all-pro. He was easily the best lineman of his era, it’s an absolute joke he wasn’t a first ballot hall of famer. There’s absolutely no reason he should still be sitting here right now not in the hall of fame.

The only time from 2001-07 Faneca wasn’t a first team all-pro was 2003. Because of injuries he started 10 games at left tackle that year... he was still second team all-pro. He was easily the best lineman of his era, it’s an absolute joke he wasn’t a first ballot hall of famer. There’s absolutely no reason he should still be sitting here right now not in the hall of fame.
Yep. This is my point. Helping his team, playing tackle for a year, and winning 2nd team all pro that season is a strike against him. Are you kidding me???? If he had played guard that season, he’d have 7 straight years of 1st team all pro. That’s unheard of.

Anyone know how many more shots he has?

Reactions: Pittx9
It's the life of an offensive lineman. The Steelers have had a lot of great players, but only have 3 OL HOFs. In fact only 14% of all of famers are offensive lineman. It is a very thankless job.

As others have said, it's hard to get in as a guard but Faneca was truly special.

- 6 First Team All Pro
- 2 Second Team All Pro
- 9 Pro Bowls
- NFL All Decade Team (2000s)
- Super Bowl XL Champ (pulled and crushed his man on Willie Parker's record setting TD run, basically winning the game).

He has 1 more First Team All Pro and 2 more Pro Bowls than Steve Hutchinson. Personally I think Faneca was better than Hutchinson but I admit they are close. But sexiness of your position or not, if you're the best Guard in the NFL for 10 years you should be in.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
As others have said, it's hard to get in as a guard but Faneca was truly special.

- 6 First Team All Pro
- 2 Second Team All Pro
- 9 Pro Bowls
- NFL All Decade Team (2000s)
- Super Bowl XL Champ (pulled and crushed his man on Willie Parker's record setting TD run, basically winning the game).

He has 1 more First Team All Pro and 2 more Pro Bowls than Steve Hutchinson. Personally I think Faneca was better than Hutchinson but I admit they are close. But sexiness of your position or not, if you're the best Guard in the NFL for 10 years you should be in.
Great summary. I’ll add that I believe he missed only 2 games in his career. One game due to injury or illness, and one due to being rested in the last week of the season. That’s hard to believe.

There really aren't that many guards in the HOF. The "modern era" guards in the HOF are Russ Grimm, Mike Munchak, Randall McDaniel, and Bruce Matthews. That's a heck of a group. I'm not sure Hutchinson is even a lock right now.

The other problem is that there will be so many good players in 2021. I don't really know.

Ruben Brown was pretty good as well and he didn't get in. Guards just seem to get screwed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT