ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Tipping

ChiefJusticeMarshall

Freshman
Gold Member
Jun 14, 2020
I saw a good Op/Ed in the PG this morning about tipping. Simply put, "decent people tip, bad people don't." I don't think it is any more simple than that.

Two excerpts from behind paywall:

Someone signs the credit card receipt at the restaurant and puts a zero in the space for a tip, writing in “I give my money to charity” or “I save my money for Jesus” (those of you with Bibles, see Matthew 25:31-46). Or they give a supposedly principled reason, like “I don’t believe in tipping” or “Your boss should pay you better” or “Tipping lets businesses exploit their workers.”

Or worse, the very worst, the lowest of the low, they scrawl some sneer like “Get a better job.”

Yes, let's start a tip jar for Jesus campaign! Brilliant.

Opening the door to her huge stone mansion, the kind you see in movies or a hyper-wealthy Pittsburgh borough, the woman took the bags of Chinese food she’d ordered, and handed my son a quarter.

He was working to make money for college. A quarter did not help.

Another evening, he took a much smaller order to an apartment “on the wrong side of the tracks,” as people used to say, to a Black family having, the father told him, a treat. He handed my son a lot of money for a tip — for some reason I remember $8 — a quarter or more of the total bill.

I suspect the first situation is people with so much money, they have no concept and think a cookie is a just reward for a job. Or they are so old, they think it is 1950 when they were on the other end. The 2nd situation is folks who appreciate that these people are working this job to live.

I err on the side of over tipping. It pisses me off even getting takeout and picking something up, people don't tip. Unless places tell you they no longer accept tips because they are paying a working wage, then don't. But I would still tip anyways.

always ALWAYS tip in cash. dont write it in, dont put it on the card, but tip in cash. i always do. at bars, restaurants, getting a hair cut, pizza delivery guy, whatever..

If it's possible, again, tip in cash. i worked in the service industry in my younger days, it makes a huge difference..

always ALWAYS tip in cash. dont write it in, dont put it on the card, but tip in cash. i always do. at bars, restaurants, getting a hair cut, pizza delivery guy, whatever..

If it's possible, again, tip in cash. i worked in the service industry in my younger days, it makes a huge difference..
good idea. for some reason i never tip in cash unless i'm at a bar or getting hair cut.

bottom line is not tipping is tacky and classless. as my dad used to say on a tipping well, a couple of extra dollars a month means nothing to you but everything to them.

good idea. for some reason i never tip in cash unless i'm at a bar or getting hair cut.

bottom line is not tipping is tacky and classless. as my dad i used to say on a overtipping, a couple of extra dollars a month means nothing to you but everything to them.
i cant disagree with that at all. i think i over tip at bars, usually give 20% as a base at restaurants, 25% if it's really good service..

give 6 bucks for the haircut.. i always forget to tip the mailman at christmas but i give the garbage guys a 20.. i put a dollar in the tip jar when i get a dunkin, i give the happy ending massage parlor girl a tip too... oh wait, that's not me, thats a friend..

Reactions: noelr
I tip generously for everything, but it has definitely gotten out of control. If you're being paid a regular wage, you shouldn't really be tipped except in a case where you've gone above and beyond. Again, I tip in spite of this, but it's kind of ridiculous.

It takes the employees at Great Clips about six minutes to cut my hair (it's usually just trimming the sides). They often F it up and don't go up high enough, but whatever. It costs $17, and I'm presented with a tip option screen of $5, $7, and $10. I always give $7, but why? I put in 60 hour weeks going above and beyond for clients all the time, and I don't even get a thank you let alone a tip.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
I tip generously for everything, but it has definitely gotten out of control. If you're being paid a regular wage, you shouldn't really be tipped except in a case where you've gone above and beyond. Again, I tip in spite of this, but it's kind of ridiculous.

It takes the employees at Great Clips about six minutes to cut my hair (it's usually just trimming the sides). They often F it up and don't go up high enough, but whatever. It costs $17, and I'm presented with a tip option screen of $5, $7, and $10. I always give $7, but why? I put in 60 hour weeks going above and beyond for clients all the time, and I don't even get a thank you let alone a tip.
lol, cant believe you brought this up.. I just switched over from sports clips to great clips myself a few months back. So i got a haircut last week, chick asks what i want, they keep it in their notes. 2 on sides, as short as you can get it on top with fingers, blah blah. So the chick just gets clippers out and just shaves my head like it's my first day in the army.

im like, why the hell did you even ask me how i wanted it? Was kinda funny, i dont care too much, im not good looking regardless so what do i care. i gave her 6 bucks. next time, probably gonna try to avoid her though..

but back to your point. these hair cut places, they are contractors, not employees. they dont work for great clips, or sports clips, they are basically "renting" the chair and pay to work there so tips is a big part of their income. they may get an hourly pay, not sure but it's not like minimum wage or anything so i think tipping barbers is pretty important..

If you don't want to tip, do the service yourself.

Cook at home; cut your own hair; go pick up your own take out; ect...
i'll tell you what though, people that use these uber eats or 3rd party services to pick up a cheeseburger and dont tip, need punched in the face. i think it's beyond lazy for a capable person to use these services in the first place but if you are truly that lazy, you better tip and tip well.

why the hell you would trust some person with zero affiliation to the restaurant to pick up, handle and deliver something that you are going to eat, man you have way too much faith in people. i wouldnt trust these people to save my life.

and yes, it's a huge HUGE difference than having an employee of a pizza place delivering a pizza.

i'll tell you what though, people that use these uber eats or 3rd party services to pick up a cheeseburger and dont tip, need punched in the face. i think it's beyond lazy for a capable person to use these services in the first place but if you are truly that lazy, you better tip and tip well.

why the hell you would trust some person with zero affiliation to the restaurant to pick up, handle and deliver something that you are going to eat, man you have way too much faith in people. i wouldnt trust these people to save my life.

and yes, it's a huge HUGE difference than having an employee of a pizza place delivering a pizza.
I have never, and don't plan on ever using uber eats type of service for that very reason.

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof

Servers usually survive on tips. Not sure how those chain haircut places work but most places that cut hair charge the barber for the chair so they clear whatever they make after that fee is paid.

I tip purely on performance and attitude, sometimes very generously.

If I'm sitting at a Eatnpark and I'm the only one in there, I expect a little better service then when it's during prime hours.
I tend to go that way, myself, but I always throw a question out there like, "Understaffed today?" If there's an issue that's out of their control, you usually hear about the call-off that wasn't covered or something else along those lines.

I also try to consider how much time I've spent at the table or how big the party is. Sometimes you get to talking or you take longer with coffee or drinks. Larger groups almost always take longer. That's taking away from them getting another tip because I didn't get my butt moving in a normal amount of time.

Reactions: steelcurtain55.

Not judging, but are you saying this so that the server can avoid paying taxes or does the company take some of it if you use a card?

Not judging, but are you saying this so that the server can avoid paying taxes or does the company take some of it if you use a card?
I go that way, too. I like to let the server decide how they'll handle it. There are a lot of greedy managers/owners that take advantage of the servers. Cash also makes it easier for them to tip bus boys or anyone they want to grease.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
lol, cant believe you brought this up.. I just switched over from sports clips to great clips myself a few months back. So i got a haircut last week, chick asks what i want, they keep it in their notes. 2 on sides, as short as you can get it on top with fingers, blah blah. So the chick just gets clippers out and just shaves my head like it's my first day in the army.

im like, why the hell did you even ask me how i wanted it? Was kinda funny, i dont care too much, im not good looking regardless so what do i care. i gave her 6 bucks. next time, probably gonna try to avoid her though..

but back to your point. these hair cut places, they are contractors, not employees. they dont work for great clips, or sports clips, they are basically "renting" the chair and pay to work there so tips is a big part of their income. they may get an hourly pay, not sure but it's not like minimum wage or anything so i think tipping barbers is pretty important..

I've been getting a 0 on the sides for years, and they have yet to update their notes. Kind of pisses me off, haha.

There are two ladies (and by God - they are not easy on the eyes, but they can cut hair) who are good at the one I go to, but the rest suck.

And that's fair. Though I question why certain industries are understood to be reliant on tips and others are not. Like, why can't they pay a waiter/waitress and employee wage, just as they do in most other industries? Never made sense to me that customers have to pay for the service and then effectively pay the employees on top of that.

Just get yourself one of these sweet pieces of modern machinery.

s-l1600.jpg

With Walmart, it's ironic. I don't tip when I get them delivered (I use the in-home delivery option, and there isn't even a chance to tip... I tip if I use the independent driver option), but I do tip when I go to pick them up. I usually have to call them back to the car as they're walking away, so I don't think they're used to getting tips.

At Whole Foods last week I felt bad because I was going to pick up my order and didn't have anything less than a $50 in my wallet. I was Googling to see how I could add it to the original online order, but you couldn't (I order there through Amazon Prime). And it also said they don't accept tips. Not that they would turn down a 5 or a 10 handed to them, which is what I usually do.

lol. That’s funny. I’ve wanted to get a buzz cut as my five head is turning into a six head. But my wife says my head is too ugly to do that. Generally though for my hair GC does a good job. So I give them 25 bucks regardless. Tipping 20 pct on a 15-16 buck HC isn’t much

I usually do 20 pct on everything else unless the service is awful. Then I’ll do something like 10 or 5 pct so that they know they sucked and I didn’t forget to tip them

Call me cheap but I don’t get tipping take out orders. Don’t see the service other than they handed me the pizza

I've been getting a 0 on the sides for years, and they have yet to update their notes. Kind of pisses me off, haha.

There are two ladies (and by God - they are not easy on the eyes, but they can cut hair) who are good at the one I go to, but the rest suck.

And that's fair. Though I question why certain industries are understood to be reliant on tips and others are not. Like, why can't they pay a waiter/waitress and employee wage, just as they do in most other industries? Never made sense to me that customers have to pay for the service and then effectively pay the employees on top of that.
i've said this before, being a server, bartender and making a flat hourly pay rate would be awful. WOrking at a busy restaurant with no tips for a 15-16 hourly pay rate would be the worst job on the planet and the service would suck..

I worked in the restaurant and bar industry for years and trust me, servers and bartenders dont want that, the customers dont want that and the restaurant owners dont want that.

think about your favorite restaurant. the good staff works the busy nights right? weekends, evenings. you pay that person the same pay as the person working the monday lunch shift, it doesnt make sense. one would have a few tables and get off at 4pm. one would work 7-8 hour shift, get done at midnight, work 5 xs as hard and both make the same?

i've said this before, being a server, bartender and making a flat hourly pay rate would be awful. WOrking at a busy restaurant with no tips for a 15-16 hourly pay rate would be the worst job on the planet and the service would suck..

I worked in the restaurant and bar industry for years and trust me, servers and bartenders dont want that, the customers dont want that and the restaurant owners dont want that.

think about your favorite restaurant. the good staff works the busy nights right? weekends, evenings. you pay that person the same pay as the person working the monday lunch shift, it doesnt make sense. one would have a few tables and get off at 4pm. one would work 7-8 hour shift, get done at midnight, work 5 xs as hard and both make the same?

Oh I don't disagree, but you could say the same about plenty of industries that don't work that way.

I'm not a Starbucks person, but I went there a few times with someone I was seeing over the summer. It was weird to me that they expected tips for using their drive-thru service. I still gave them one, but it was weird.

Another one I find weird is Auroch's - a brewery out in Emsworth. They have a "tips" line on their receipt and a jar. Like, it's not like they are carrying the beer out for you or something. You tell them what you want at the register and they bring it to you, but that's only because there isn't an option to go get it yourself.

Yeah I try. Obviously on customer or travel where I have to get reimbursed that is not easy.

It is why I went from Great Clips to Sports Clips! LOL

lol. That’s funny. I’ve wanted to get a buzz cut as my five head is turning into a six head. But my wife says my head is too ugly to do that. Generally though for my hair GC does a good job. So I give them 25 bucks regardless. Tipping 20 pct on a 15-16 buck HC isn’t much

I usually do 20 pct on everything else unless the service is awful. Then I’ll do something like 10 or 5 pct so that they know they sucked and I didn’t forget to tip them

Call me cheap but I don’t get tipping take out orders. Don’t see the service other than they handed me the pizza
...and making the dough with flour and water and yeast, shaping it into a round crust, putting on the sauce, layering with cheese and toppings and monitoring it in a 750 degree oven along with three other pizzas and two strombolis it really is not that much..... the tip jar is not for the guy who hands you the thing it is for the whole crew that took part in its creation..I go into my local place and am amazed at how hard these folks work...I feel a helluva lot more obligation to throw a couple bucks in their tip jar than the folks who pour you a cup of coffee at some snooty coffee shop...

In that I never made out with an Italian dude maybe you can tell me how their saliva tastes as that is probably what you are getting in addition to that pepperoni you had put on it..

Last edited:
It is why I went from Great Clips to Sports Clips! LOL
dude, i liked sports clips but they do the same. and last year, you could just get a haircut and they'd charge you 18. now they charge you for the hair wash and massage even though i dont get it. was kind of BS to be honest..

Great clips is like 10 bucks cheaper and never busy. both are bad haircuts to be honest but i'd rather look like crap and save the 10 bucks.

...and making the dough with flour and water and yeast, shaping it into a round crust, putting on the sauce, layering with cheese and toppings and monitoring it in a 750 degree oven along with three other pizzas and two strombolis it really is not that much..... the tip jar is not for the guy who hands you the thing it is for the whole crew that took part in its creation..I go into my local place and am amazed at how hard these folks work...I feel a helluva lot more obligation to throw a couple bucks in their tip jar than the folks who pour you a cup of coffee at some snooty coffee shop...
Agree. I rarely tip at Starbucks when all I order is a cup of black coffee. I will tip there on the very rare occasion that I get a latte and some food.

One thing I don't understand about tipping culture is how or why did it even get so bad? Frankly, I'd prefer to just pay 20% more for something than tip because this tipping culture creates too many free riders who get the same pizza or latte that I get but pay less because they are too cheap to tip.

I always over tip because I am at a point in my life where I can and should. Waiters-Waitresses, Bartenders, Guides for events or adventures.
I do not tip for USPS. They are paid very well and the benefits far exceed that of a normal mfg guy. If they would do something special, out of their scope of work, then possibly. But just because it is x-mas. no.... I do not tip Amazon either.

Reactions: Ski11585

1. I always if possible to tray and order and get delivery through the restaurant directly. Especially mom and pop places.
2. I always will tip well, especially if it is a place where I am going to have repeat business, this way they tend to take care of you when you order again. So tipping is also strategic as it is benevolent.

1. I always if possible to tray and order and get delivery through the restaurant directly. Especially mom and pop places.
2. I always will tip well, especially if it is a place where I am going to have repeat business, this way they tend to take care of you when you order again. So tipping is also strategic as it is benevolent.
when you are in your younger age when all your friends are getting married and you are going to a wedding what seems like every other weekend and you still drink til your blind at weddings. here is the move..

Go to the open bar early, be one of the first ones and drop the 20 in the tip jar and let the bartender see it. that way, you'll have drinks coming your way all thru the reception.

Reactions: CentPaPittFan
I tend to go that way, myself, but I always throw a question out there like, "Understaffed today?" If there's an issue that's out of their control, you usually hear about the call-off that wasn't covered or something else along those lines.

I also try to consider how much time I've spent at the table or how big the party is. Sometimes you get to talking or you take longer with coffee or drinks. Larger groups almost always take longer. That's taking away from them getting another tip because I didn't get my butt moving in a normal amount of time.
yep. i also pay for my time. sometimes i will sit watching a game and not order so i tip like i was still ordering.

Reactions: pittdan77
when you are in your younger age when all your friends are getting married and you are going to a wedding what seems like every other weekend and you still drink til your blind at weddings. here is the move..

Go to the open bar early, be one of the first ones and drop the 20 in the tip jar and let the bartender see it. that way, you'll have drinks coming your way all thru the reception.
yes and sometimes you tip heavy so you get a seat and fast service in the future. lol

Does anyone tip the maid in a hotel? I always do on vacation, but rarely on business, mainly because I wouldn't get reimbursed for it.

I was in a Home2Suites recently and there was a QR code sticker on the nightstand that customers can use to tip the maid.

Reactions: FreeportPanther
Does anyone tip the maid in a hotel? I always do on vacation, but rarely on business, mainly because I wouldn't get reimbursed for it.

I was in a Home2Suites recently and there was a QR code sticker on the nightstand that customers can use to tip the maid.
yep. $3-$5 per night. those are the most important people
to tip as they are usually very low income and an awful job

Yes, I leave cash. Some of those people look like they don't have a pot to pee in. Plus I often miss the pot while peeing, so they deserve it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT